*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,126 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prosperdick said:

Sorry to be "that guy" but I've been burned before with GoT. I've only seen the first episode. Is this show worth it? Does it feel like the showrunners have a good handle on the show's direction? I'm just trying to decide whether to invest the time.

Dude just watch or don't. Live your own life.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
OnlyForNow
AG
She gave Alicent the one "get out alive card" Alicent gave her.

AgE2theBONE
AG
Quad Dog said:

Seemed like the only reason she didn't say "Dracarys" was because plot armor required her not to.

They haven't made this point in either series, really, but "kinslayer" is the most shameful/reprehensible sobriquet someone can earn. Which is one of the reasons that Larys is such a irredeemable character.

She doesn't break her oaths and won't shame her house by doing so, but she's not going to murder the children of Viserys in cold blood, either.

For much the same reasons that Alicent was refusing to condone the murder of Rhaenyra/Daemon and her kids.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Reddit having a field day.

cbr
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

Quad Dog said:

Seemed like the only reason she didn't say "Dracarys" was because plot armor required her not to.

They haven't made this point in either series, really, but "kinslayer" is the most shameful/reprehensible sobriquet someone can earn. Which is one of the reasons that Larys is such a irredeemable character.

She doesn't break her oaths and won't shame her house by doing so, but she's not going to murder the children of Viserys in cold blood, either.

For much the same reasons that Alicent was refusing to condone the murder of Rhaenyra/Daemon and her kids.
Seems like weak sauce. She had them dead to rights. Or would some of them not burn? Dont know but the dragon could have killed them for sure even if not, and obviously should have.

I cant see any rational reason for her letting them live.
Icecream_Ag
S
cbr said:

AgE2theBONE said:

Quad Dog said:

Seems like weak sauce. She had them dead to rights. Or would some of them not burn? Dont know but the dragon could have killed them for sure even if not, and obviously should have.

kinslayer is lower than leftist tea sip for a modern comparison
The Porkchop Express
AG
cbr said:

AgE2theBONE said:

Quad Dog said:

well for starters, you're murdering roughly half of your own family, including the King's three children.

and then you fly to Dragonstone, and your story sounds almost as fake as Alicent's about "the King's final wish."

Hey Rhaneyra your father is dead, your former best friend and her dad tried to crown Aegon as his successor, but I escaped and got my dragon and murdered all three of them, plus Aemond, plus the weirdo sister, plus Criston Cole, plus about 500 other people. Your're welcome."

In hindsight, if she could command the dragon just to eat certain people, she could have had him eat Otto and Alicent and taken out the biggest parts of the problem.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
All of the above makes sense, but I think she may also believe that the Blacks have a pretty big advantage and the might still be able to end the situation somewhat quickly, maybe getting them to surrender and bend the knee.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also pretty curious where Daemon's kid was during all this, who was Rhaenys' ward. As far as we know she's still in KL and a dragonrider, so she is a pretty important piece of the puzzle.

Since we don't see Rhaenys look for her, I'm going to assume she might have headed to Dragonstone with Rhaenyra and they didn't show it to us.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I will say that it's good to see that in westeros, the same rules apply.

Icecream_Ag
S
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also pretty curious where Daemon's kid was during all this, who was Rhaenys' ward. As far as we know she's still in KL and a dragonrider, so she is a pretty important piece of the puzzle.

Since we don't see Rhaenys look for her, I'm going to assume she might have headed to Dragonstone and they didn't show it to us.
I believe Rhaenyra said she was taking all the kids back to dragonstone and would fly back on her dragon at the end of episode 8.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
She did, but I took that to mean her own kids and the one twin who lives in Dragonstone, but not the one who lives in Driftmark.

Come to think of it though, she was newly betrothed to one of her kids, so maybe that was implied.
Icecream_Ag
S
Brian Earl Spilner said:

She did, but I took that to mean her own kids and the one twin who lives in Dragonstone, but not the one who lives in Driftmark.
considering both daughters are engaged to both sons I assumed all the kids went.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Man. We've got literally a basketball line-up of dragons on the Blacks side, and I cannot wait to see them all in battle together.

Can't imagine that will stay that way for long, but I am hella ready for it.
boy09
AG
canadiaggie said:

Dragon names shouldn't really be a spoiler:

Daemon - Caraxes
Rhaenyra - Syrax
Laenor - Seasmoke (now with one of his daughters? Idk)
Rhaenys - Meleys
Aemond - Vhagar
Aegon - has one, unnamed in the show, though I think it was present in the funeral scene for Laena
Lucerys - has one, it's in the trailer for next week's episode, not named in the show yet
Jacaerys - Vermax

Those are all the revealed one
We saw this dragon in ep 6, when young Aemond wandered down into the dragon pit.

Don't know if it's really a spoiler, but this is supposed to be Helaena's dragon Dreamfyre, i believe
zap
AG
I am excited to see which families/houses support either Aegon or Rhaenyra.
PatAg
AG
cbr said:

AgE2theBONE said:

Quad Dog said:

You are replying to a post that includes the reasons
BudFox7
Final scene was horrible unless Rhaenys uses it to play a role in between the two parties, secretly committing to neither.

If she chooses the opposite side in an obvious upcoming war and (a) didnt kill them with an easy opportunity and (b) announce your escape

The idea that she didn't kill them because of kinship but is going to war in which she hopes they will be killed is really really dumb and she hasn't been built up as a dumb character
Icecream_Ag
S
BudFox7 said:

Final scene was horrible unless Rhaenys uses it to play a role in between the two parties, secretly committing to neither.

If she chooses the opposite side in an obvious upcoming war and (a) didnt kill them with an easy opportunity and (b) announce your escape

The idea that she didn't kill them because of kinship but is going to war in which she hopes they will be killed is really really dumb and she hasn't been built up as a dumb character
she hopes the greens will bend the knee to the blacks without bloodshed. She wasn't aware of the small council schemes lead by Otto so believes they will back down now that Rhaenyra knows the truth.

Stupid, but when you believe in family over all else (something I believe she said in episode 8, but could have been when alicent visited after the kings death) you go out of your way to not kill your own blood.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Knowing how show normally goes, I think that'll end up being a fatal mistake for her.
TV Casualty
AG
If she cared about her kin then she should've just flown out on her dragon. No need to have her bust into the room like the Koolaid man. Never mind that she killed around 300 people in doing so.

The Porkchop Express
AG
TV Casualty said:

If she cared about her kin then she should've just flown out on her dragon. No need to have her bust into the room like the Koolaid man. Never mind that she killed around 300 people in doing so.

There is a 0.0% chance that any of the Targs consider the losers that live in that part of King's Landing to be people that matter. They are bout land and subjects and wealth and power.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I liked the last scene. She busts through the floor on a dragon, effortlessly killing dozens if not hundreds of people, and is one word away from vaporizing all the "royal court".

The message seemed clear to me. All the intrigue, closed door meetings, rounding up witnesses, keeping secrets, back alley hunting, spying and squabbling means absolute nothing compared to the power of a single dragon. Otto and Alicent are still scheming like men, not dominating like dragon lords. The whole thing was a giant signal that they are wasting their energy playing the wrong game
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cbr
AG
I appreciate the r effort but my point is those reasons don't seem rational to me at all.
cbr
AG
Similarly I don't really know why Scarface didn't off his brother either unless he figured someone else would do it for him for sure.
oragator
Again, that final scene wasn't in the book, so almost by definition it can't have a real purpose if they keep to the general storyline. Other than maybe to enhance the reasons that might be revealed later (not a spoiler, I haven't read the books just know that one tidbit).
They wanted to add dramatic effect, but doing it outside of the plot like that causes problems. I had final season GoT flashbacks in watching it.
Houston Lee
AG
THE FEET THING:

How did that even start?

Scene:

Queen Alicent: "Larys, you have given me so much good super-secret info and did dirty work on my behalf. How am I to ever repay you?

Larys Strong: "Well, your Grace. I have this thing for feet."

Queen Alicent: "Feet?"

Larys Strong: "Yes, especially YOUR FEET"

Queen Alicent: "MY FEET?"

Larys Strong: "Well, as payment for my services, I want you to remove your stockings and show me your bare feet"

Queen Alicent: "OK?? and then what?"

Larys Strong: "Well....then you need to turn away and not look at me until I'm done. But, make sure I can see your feet."

Queen Alicent: "Until you're done? Done, doing what?"

Larys Strong: "Well...."

Cut Scene

EFE
AG
My wife and I during that scene:

Wife: "I don't like this weird footed guy, he creeps me out…"
Me: *Internal monologue* (WTF is she taking off her socks in front of this plebe? Oh…****…)
Me: "I think weird foot is about to get weirder…"
Wife: "What do you mean? How could he get any weirder???"
<Weird foot starts tugging it>
Me: "There it is…"
Wife: "seriously, why do we watch this *****??"
TV Casualty
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

TV Casualty said:

There is a 0.0% chance that any of the Targs consider the losers that live in that part of King's Landing to be people that matter. They are bout land and subjects and wealth and power.

Maybe so, but that still doesn't mean that they will randomly kill hundreds of people for no reason.

Viserys seemed to care for his people to some degree. This show wants us to believe that Rhaeneys was clearly the better choice to rule over Viserys. It would seem to be out of character then for her to just slaughter so many people for no purpose. This might make her worse than Daenerys and everyone hated how her meltdown went.

It's probably not a good idea to kill hundreds of innocent people when there is a power struggle going on and one side is making alliances. Sure you can say "Dragon trumps all", but that makes for an uninteresting story. You have to use that power very carefully in a show or it can ruin it.

This episode had some last season GOT vibes to it and it was more than just that last scene.
BCG Disciple
AG
Thought they did a great job with this ep. Had a very Death of Stalin feel to it when Aemond started talking about being the right man for the job. I thought Aemond would take care of Aegon and all witnesses. Then Aegon was throwing off suicidal vibes. Very suspenseful

And great score.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TV Casualty said:

Maybe so, but that still doesn't mean that they will randomly kill hundreds of people for no reason.

Maybe she views them as all accessories to treason. If they live in KL, they surely know that the Princess is the rightful heir. There are thousands of them in the crowd and what, 25 guards? If they were loyal to the Princess, they could mobbed rule the **** out of that procession.
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

i don't know if there's more backstory in the book, but this dude's reaction to a princess declining to just run away with his broke ass is up there for the all-time overreactions.
TV Casualty
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

TV Casualty said:

Maybe she views them as all accessories to treason. If they live in KL, they surely know that the Princess is the rightful heir. There are thousands of them in the crowd and what, 25 guards? If they were loyal to the Princess, they could mobbed rule the **** out of that procession.

They were forced in there by the soldiers sent by Otto. That's how Rhaeneys even found herself in that place. These people had no choice and she killed them for no real purpose.

Even if the people at large wanted a man on the throne, slaughtering them wouldn't exactly help your case for it to be Rhaenyra on the throne.
The Porkchop Express
AG
There were way more people than soldiers. They were forced in there because they acted like sheep.
TV Casualty
AG
jackie childs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

i don't know if there's more backstory in the book, but this dude's reaction to a princess declining to just run away with his broke ass is up there for the all-time overreactions.

I don't fully like the way they have handled his character. The wedding scene and that scene in the council room are just odd.

As far as his motivations go. I think they established that he took his honor as a kings guard very seriously. He worked his way up to a position that he had no path to by birth. They also showed that he had developed a relationship that was more than just a professional one with the princess.

When she brought him into her bedroom it was an act that could've cost him his position as a kings guard and also his life. He lost his honor in that moment of weakness.

He tried to make it right by pulling her away from the life she seemed to be rebelling against. Then he found out that he was only her toy to play with.

Obviously losing his honor and the girl led him to almost kill himself. Alicent saved him to a degree and turned him to be even more cruel to Rhaenyra.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.