*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

276,922 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Kampfers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

I guess this is part of my issue. The only thing about this show that makes it a fantasy show is the dragons (and the sister can see the future?) and they've mostly been used as window dressing so far. Granted that GOT also took a while to really get the magic rolling, but again, supernatural threat right from the jump.

Allicent's kid claiming Vhagar was probably the coolest thing that's happened on the show so far for me.

If it's just going to be a political drama I think I'd rather it be set in the actual past than in this fantasy world, but maybe more magic is going to be involved as we get going.
I think people have really skewed expectations re: magic or "existential threats" as other posts have called for.

Magic "coming back into the world" was a huge plot point in GoT. The WW had not been seen for some 10k+ years and were largely thought to be myth. Why people seem to think it would be ubiquitious

Yeah, we'll have dragons in this show - but I would be highly surprised to see other forms of "magic" play a substantial role.

And as for the "existential threat" - pretty sure one of the major themes (in both GoT and this show) is that the political elite themselves are (or can be) an existential threat. I think people are setting themselves up to be disappointed when the show (and it's promotional material) has not portended any such threats outside of the rulers/dragons.
bobinator
AG
I'm not expecting an existential threat, I'm just pointing out that an existential threat gave some weight to the plot of GOT when you're comparing how the two shows started out. But it's also not just that it was an existential threat, it's that it was an outside threat. I kind of thought that's where they were going in this show, but they disposed of the Crab feeder quickly.

Some kind of outside threat gives a sense of urgency to the internal squabbling. It creates a sense of "they better get this **** settled or they're all screwed."

For me, right now, with these characters, I just don't feel any of that. It's like, whether team Alicent wins or team Rhaenyra wins, or whoever else, what difference does it really make?

And whether or not there's much magic in this show, I'm just saying I would expect a fantasy show to have important fantasy elements. Maybe the dragons will be enough. That isn't a huge deal, but just talking through why maybe this isn't landing for me yet.
Kampfers
AG
bobinator said:

For me, right now, with these characters, I just don't feel any of that. It's like, whether team Alicent wins or team Rhaenyra wins, or whoever else, what difference does it really make?
I mean, I also think that's kind of the point. War, death, and all for what? I'm rooting for some of the side characters (namely Daemon) but generally I'm just happy to watch it all play out.

As said in my previous post, I think some people need to re-adjust their expectations.

This is a political drama in a fantasy setting that will also incorporate plenty of sex and violence. For me, that's more than enough to craft a compelling show.

I haven't read this book, but ASOIAF was very limited in its use of "fantasy"/magical elements. Hell, GRRM originally wasn't even going to include the dragons.
redline248
AG
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't classify this show as fantasy, even with dragons. The dragons are just a sideshow.

Game of Thrones had the WW, prophecy, wizards (the blue lips in Essos), the witch that cursed Drogo and Danny's baby, the children of the forest, Bran's visions, etc.

Really, really different shows
MaroonStain
AG
Six pages for this episode and not one comment about the 5 second frame freeze on the dagger. That is The Dagger! Slacking e-boarders.

(Unless I missed a post or two)
powerbelly
AG
MaroonStain said:

Six pages for this episode and not one comment about the 5 second frame freeze on the dagger. That is The Dagger! Slacking e-boarders.

You serious Clark.
AgE2theBONE
AG
MaroonStain said:

Oh my gosh, the DAGGER!!!
Icecream_Ag
S
MaroonStain said:

but what about the ass and the honeycomb
deer corn
Thanks for all the spoilers.
KidDoc
AG
redline248 said:

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't classify this show as fantasy, even with dragons. The dragons are just a sideshow.

Game of Thrones had the WW, prophecy, wizards (the blue lips in Essos), the witch that cursed Drogo and Danny's baby, the children of the forest, Bran's visions, etc.

You totally left out the Lord of Light and the resurrections of that bandit dude whose name I forgot.

And warging, and the old guy under the tree, and the little person throwing fireballs in the north.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
redline248
AG
KidDoc said:

redline248 said:

You totally left out the Lord of Light and the resurrections of that bandit dude whose name I forgot.

And warging, and the old guy under the tree, and the little person throwing fireballs in the north.
no I didn't. I put "etc"
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Not a book reader, but I could see them bringing Jaquen Hagar into an episode purely for call back reasons and fan service.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Not a book reader, but I could see them bringing Jaquen Hagar into an episode purely for call back reasons and fan service.
Is there some evidence somewhere that Jaquen Hagar is 200+ years old? The current show starts in 112 AC (After the Conquest). The other show began in 298 AC
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I don't think there is any evidence, but they could explain it away as it's just another face used by the faceless men, even if it's the same actor playing a different character.

They could also bring Melisandre back if they wanted to I guess.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Neither of those makes much sense and would just confuse people who aren't already confused on how long before GoT this is supposed to be.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
M.C. Swag
AG
I don't think there's any evidence to suggest Jaquen could live that long but anyone still confused by the time difference despite the opening prologue that specifically highlights 200 or whatever years before danaerys would probably not even recall who Jaquen is/was lol
AgE2theBONE
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest Jaquen could live that long but anyone still confused by the time difference despite the opening prologue that specifically highlights 200 or whatever years before danaerys would probably not even recall who Jaquen is/was lol

People keep talking about Jaquen as if he were one individual.

Anybody in the House of Black and White can put on the "Jaquen" face and be "him."

mazzag
AG
SIAP, who gets Laenor's dragon? Wouldn't it know he's not really dead?
FancyKetchup14
AG
mazzag said:

SIAP, who gets Laenor's dragon? Wouldn't it know he's not really dead?
guess we gotta watch to find out
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Red Keep the second Viserys dies...

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
WestAustinAg
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

This story is about the internal family conflict and political fallout of the Targaryen empire in the ~middle of their power. I'm really enjoying it for what it is.

Its the modern version of Dallas. LOL. Verys is Jock. Daemon is JR. or something.
deer corn
If there are any seasons written off as a dream (Pam), I will boycott.
FancyKetchup14
AG
TCTTS
AG
I'm confused. Who has even seen the episode at this point, especially someone who would go and rate it on IMDb?

I don't know why people even report/rely on IMDb ratings. They're notoriously unreliable and pretty much a joke.
powerbelly
AG
IMO this means nothing
HossAg
AG
Another good episode. ****'s gonna go down soon. Definitely not the "greatest GOT episode ever" like I've seen so many people on social media saying this week.
plowboy1065
S
Great episode
gggmann
AG
Adult Aemon is a bad ass and doesn't give a ****. They nailed his casting.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Loved tonight's episode. I feel like this show is nailing the pacing and plot progression. Next week is going to be great.
TXAGFAN
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Loved tonight's episode. I feel like this show is nailing the pacing and plot progression. Next week is going to be great.
Agree, so good.
canadiaggie
AG
That scene with Viserys struggling to the throne and Daemon helping him up was emotional as hell
canadiaggie
AG
Give Paddy the Emmy already
oragator
Loved tonight, so much depth, such a fitting ending for the kingly so much in the way of past present and future coming together, the shocking throne room scene, and so much set up for coming episodes and years.
El_duderino
The score for that was fantastic to tie it together

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.