*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,376 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
canadiaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

M.C. Swag said:

Except the part where she condoned the act of Larys murdering his brother and father (the highest of crimes in Westeros).
She literally says that's not what she wanted.

Lol oh come on. Sure, she SAID that's not what she wanted… and then proceeded to report larys to the King for high treason? Oh no she actually decided to keep him around and cozy up to the idea that having a ruthless, kin-slaying, murderer on standby was exactly what she wanted.

I mean I agree that her association with Larys isn't sympathetic at all. I suppose I was saying that I get why she thinks the way she thinks, and I think the writers have done a good job of making Alicent understandably bad rather than just cartoonishly bad.
canadiaggie
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Madmarttigan said:

Ya know what's funny is we applaud Rhaenyra for letting Laenor live, but what about the poor guy that got tossed in the fire just minding his business going about his duty. Probably has kids that wondered what happened to him.

Daemon/Rhaenyra are still murderers but we didn't know him so ehhhh

It goes beyond the fireplace guy. I think R is a grade A piece of ****, a *****, and recklessly self centered.

She "boinks" (as another poster stated) whomever she wants, her station and duty be damned, and leaves bodies in her wake everywhere she goes. In addition to fireplace guy, her lover and the father of her ******* kids also got burned alive for tangling with her. It's R being a ***** that's the genesis of the conflict between her kids and Allicents kids, and the reason why their House is breaking apart. Sure the King has some responsibility too for being oblivious, but R doesn't give a damn about him or anyone else but herself (and possibly her children now)

She's made an enemy of Cristion it seems as well which I am sure will bite her in the ass at some point.

I think it's squarely Larys and Alicent's fault that Harwin died, not because he and Rhaenyra were doing the horizontal tango. IMO it had less to do with the affair than with Alicent's throwaway remark about wanting her father back as Hand, and Larys probably seeing an opportunity to kill his dad and brother and get Harrenhal for himself.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

M.C. Swag said:

Except the part where she condoned the act of Larys murdering his brother and father (the highest of crimes in Westeros).
Then she should have had him punished. He murdered the Hand of the King and the former Commander of the City Watch, both members of a house that rules the greatest keep in Westeros.

That's not the same as condoning it though.
condone: accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
FredMc92
PatAg said:

I gotta ask, who else isn't watching the preview of the next episode?
I never watch any previews for any show.
At best, they are intentionally misleading in some way, and at worst they will make major moments in the episode be less impactful because you have already seen it.

I do understand why others watch it, its just not for me, and I've always thought they should be counted as spoilers.
Same
canadiaggie
AG
PatAg said:

I gotta ask, who else isn't watching the preview of the next episode?
I never watch any previews for any show.
At best, they are intentionally misleading in some way, and at worst they will make major moments in the episode be less impactful because you have already seen it.

I do understand why others watch it, its just not for me, and I've always thought they should be counted as spoilers.

I'm part of the "next time on Dragon Ball Z" generation, so I've never really considered them spoilers. That being said everything you said is more or less true.
deer corn
Ol Jock 99 said:

Whoa. Whoa. WHOA!!!!

I heard "green", but WTF is this "black" y'all are talking about?

Did no one else notice what color the kids were wearing at the GD funeral??? It's not a spoiler at all. I'd say that war started when Alicent sliced open Raenhyra near the wrist.

And I'm sure I spelled a name wrong.
deer corn
Quote:

It goes beyond the fireplace guy. I think R is a grade A piece of ****, a *****, and recklessly self centered.

She "boinks" (as another poster stated) whomever she wants, her station and duty be damned, and leaves bodies in her wake everywhere she goes. In addition to fireplace guy, her lover and the father of her ******* kids also got burned alive for tangling with her. It's R being a ***** that's the genesis of the conflict between her kids and Allicents kids, and the reason why their House is breaking apart. Sure the King has some responsibility too for being oblivious, but R doesn't give a damn about him or anyone else but herself (and possibly her children now)

She's made an enemy of Cristion it seems as well which I am sure will bite her in the ass at some point.

And? I thought the point of the show is that Targarians rule because they control fire (dragons). I think that is really what I wish R or V would say to Alicent. "you're a nobody. I am a dragon. You are a dragon's plaything and vessel to create more dragons. Why you think you are able to judge me at all is a mystery. How about we take a ride?"

Edit to add: Cole went from a dark horse of intrigue to a whiny bitter little stool pigeon in 3 episodes. He's a clown.
M.C. Swag
AG
Agree with that. I'm still looking for my Tyrion!
BenFiasco14
AG
deer corn said:

Quote:

And? I thought the point of the show is that Targarians rule because they control fire (dragons). I think that is really what I wish R or V would say to Alicent. "you're a nobody. I am a dragon. You are a dragon's plaything and vessel to create more dragons. Why you think you are able to judge me at all is a mystery. How about we take a ride?"

Edit to add: Cole went from a dark horse of intrigue to a whiny bitter little stool pigeon in 3 episodes. He's a clown.

I don't disagree with the above at all, you're right that's the angle. Doesn't suddenly make R a "good person" or someone everyone should be rooting for. I'm not really "rooting for" anyone at this point, there are things I dislike about all of the main characters.

Which is good. I wasn't complaining
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
StinkyPinky
AG
deer corn said:

Quote:

I agree. It was a really odd transition from being protector and boy toy with R to hating her and devout to A. I understand that a lot can happen in the 10 year span but there didn't seem much effort from the writers to make the transition interesting. Just seems so abrupt and some plot and character development opportunities missed (can't relate to the guy or care).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

M.C. Swag said:

Then she should have had him punished. He murdered the Hand of the King and the former Commander of the City Watch, both members of a house that rules the greatest keep in Westeros.
That's not the same as condoning it though.
condone: accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue.
There's a difference between accepting and not taking action against. The French didn't condone the Nazis.

Agree to disagree I suppose.
redline248
AG
Bonzer103 said:

deer corn said:

Quote:

I agree. It was a really odd transition from being protector and boy toy with R to hating her and devout to A. I understand that a lot can happen in the 10 year span but there didn't seem much effort from the writers to make the transition interesting. Just seems so abrupt and some plot and character development opportunities missed (can't relate to the guy or care).
Hell hath no fury like a lovestruck kingsguard scorned. She broke his heart, and he fixed it with hate.
StinkyPinky
AG
redline248 said:

Bonzer103 said:

deer corn said:

Quote:

Hell hath no fury like a lovestruck kingsguard scorned. She broke his heart, and he fixed it with hate.

As dar as I'm concerned you're hired
cbr
AG
Bonzer103 said:

deer corn said:

Quote:

i dont think so at all - she shows up and ****s the **** out of him because she's horny for her uncle.... putting his life at risk.

he thinks, well she must really be in love to risk everything for me like that, let's do the love thing....

then she ****s all over him just wanting him to be her bodyguard and **** toy instead.

then her gay husband sends his boyfriend to yuck yuck welcome him into the royal ****boy club right in the middle of a wedding.

**** that *****, it seems pretty well developed transition to me.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
redline248 said:

Bonzer103 said:

deer corn said:

Quote:

Christ"In Cel"
StinkyPinky
AG
cbr said:

Bonzer103 said:

deer corn said:

Quote:

i dont think so at all - she shows up and ****s the **** out of him because she's horny for her uncle.... putting his life at risk.

he thinks, well she must really be in love to risk everything for me like that, let's do the love thing....

then she ****s all over him just wanting him to be her bodyguard and **** toy instead.

then her gay husband sends his boyfriend to yuck yuck welcome him into the royal ****boy club right in the middle of a wedding.

**** that *****, it seems pretty well developed transition to me.

Just reading this and thinking about how funny this is to someone reading it with no context.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
I have all the context necessary, and even I have trouble following most of cbr's posts. They're all just lines of letters between strings of asterisks. He's like the guy barking into a megaphone on the street corner who no one wants to make eye contact with, except there's someone standing next to him to bleep out all his cussing in real time.
cbr
AG
1) texags is a form of stress relief
2) asterisks are funny
3) i am usually on a phone and it either doesnt pick up letters right or autocorrect does weird things.
BenFiasco14
AG
Glad D'Arcy is keeping her performance in the show non political

https://instagr.am/p/CjBFzBLI42V

Rhaneyra is fighting against the "heteronormative framework"
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
TCTTS
AG
That's *literally* her character's mindset/plight on the show. Like, to a T. So why would it possibly be an issue if the actress playing her happens to share common ground in that regard, or speaks on it publicly?
deer corn
You knew what she was going to say before you even clicked on the article. Why did you click on it?
cbr
AG
Explain please?
TCTTS
AG
cbr said:

Explain please?

Rheanyra is trapped in a world dominated by men and their whims/traditions/political plays, along with society's expectations of what a marriage should be. In the early episodes, Rheanyra expresses a desire to not want to be married at all, and not even play that game, so to speak, one that is obviously based on "heteronormative" ideals (that a woman, especially one of her stature, must be married to a man). It's not that she wants to be in a relationship with a woman, it's that she doesn't want to participate period. To add insult to injury, she's eventually married off by her father to a closeted gay man, against her will, and then, ironically, gossiped about, chastised, and threatened when she *does* choose to engage in a "heteronormative" relationship with a straight man, which is likely as much an act of rebellion/protest as it is love.

The term itself - "heteronormative framework" - might be triggering to certain people as liberal buzzword nonsense, and I'm not saying the term isn't eye-roll-inducing. But by definition, the "heteronormative framework" of Westeros, and the time period Rheanyra lives is in, is *exactly* what she's been railing against for seven episodes now. That's literally one of the main themes of the show. So, for the actress playing her to mention that, and find common ground in that regard… I just don't at all see the issue.
M.C. Swag
AG
^^^^

Also I love how Benfiasco was sarcastically criticizing Emma D'Arcy about being "political"…IN A FANTASY SHOW THAT LITERALLY HINGES ON PLOT POLITICS. Lol Like there literally wouldn't be any conflict in the show if Rhaeneyra was content with the status quo.
powerbelly
AG
It's like you are trying to find something to be offended by.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Rhaenyra is merely copying the stance taken by Merida in Brave. Apologize to any of you if I just spoiled Brave for you.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
HossAg
AG
powerbelly said:

It's like you are trying to find something to be offended by.

That's how F16ers live their lives 24/7. Then they try to pretend that everyone around them is the actual "snowflake".
plowboy1065
cbr
AG
Got it - thanks. I guess i missed or forgot the significance of the 'let me be queen and not be married' plotline.

Makes sense. She does have a freaking dragon. So its not like she isnt worth 5000 men even in battle, which kind of 'worth' would otherwise be a major foundation of legitimacy.
M.C. Swag
AG
Well there's also the whole Westerosi notion that "women are unfit for rule".

And honestly, her not wanting to get married I wouldn't classify as combating the "heteronormative" role of society. We've seen both men and women buck at their familial duty in GoT (Jamie Lannister joined the kings guard so his father couldn't marry him off to some lords daughter).

Rhaeneyra is a badass dragon rider who has has sat by her fathers side on every small council meeting for years. By all accounts she is experienced, equipped, and fit for rule. But as we saw in the opening prologue, the people of Westeros do not deem women fit to rule. If Rhaeneyra agreed with that "heteronormative" notion, she would abdicate her throne to Aegon the second Viserys died. But she won't because she doesn't agree with it. She believes she is fit to rule.
bobinator
AG
Just jumping back in here to say I can't decide if I actually like this show. The whole "everyone's standing around quiet and glancing sideways at everyone else" funeral scene was bizarre.
WES2006AG
AG
bobinator said:

Just jumping back in here to say I can't decide if I actually like this show. The whole "everyone's standing around quiet and glancing sideways at everyone else" funeral scene was bizarre.
That whole scene should have been 2 minutes instead of 10.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Was Daemon's Pentos playhouse the same place that Dany was staying at in episode one of GOT?

It looked very familiar.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
WES2006AG said:

bobinator said:

That whole scene should have been 2 minutes instead of 10.

Idk, reminds me of every extended family reunion I've been a part of.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.