*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

276,982 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Anyone found a good family tree for the Targs up to HOT D? I'm afraid to look since I don't want to be spoiled on anything HOT D.
skim the video and he shows it and doesnt go further. Also discusses a bunch on his background video
JJxvi
AG
PatAg said:

The complaint is that it lacks logic, not that it isnt realistic

Right. It kinda goes against the tone of the way Martin writes which is where all this originates. In the character driven plots he uses, if somebody powerful enough purposely gets maimed in a tournament, its going to drive a reaction from the aggrieved party or their family, whereas this was just filler violence for no reason.
emando2000
AG
PatAg said:

emando2000 said:

JJxvi said:

I guess all the politics would be too boring, but I was annoyed at the depictions of the tournament. This franchise is very gory and dirty for realism sake, but it took me out of it when they just throw in gore and violence when it will detract from realism. No Lord is going to let the main part of the power base of his armies go out and all kill and maim each other. Sure there should be accidents, but a tournament would be more like war training not war itself.

Yep, so unrealistic! Glad they have dragons to make it more realistic!

That was their modern day sport. Logic tells me that "the best" will not sit in the stands if there was an opportunity for competition and glory. Logic also tells me that murdering someone during that time didn't have the same consequences as in present day law. So that gripe they were trying to make doesn't lack logic imo.
JJxvi
AG
This isnt the first tournament weve seen in world. There absolutely would have been some **** if the mountain had like just murdered Renly Baratheon or Loras Tyrell in the hands tournament in GoT. There was even a plot line where Robert would get accidentally killed in the melee by a Cersei Lannister plot, so in world its considered dangerous but not a murderfest that a king would never participate in. Ned Stark got Robert not to compete by telling him everyone would just let him win
Aggie87
AG
JJxvi said:

This isnt the first tournament weve seen in world. There absolutely would have been some **** if the mountain had like just murdered Renly Baratheon or Loras Tyrell in the hands tournament in GoT. There was even a plot line where Robert would get accidentally killed in the melee by a Cersei Lannister plot, so in world its considered dangerous but not a murderfest that a king would never participate in. Ned Stark got Robert not to compete by telling him everyone would just let him win

You're talking about 2 different eras, 200 years apart. They have been at peace during the era of HotD, for 60 years. Much different than the GoT era.
PatAg
AG
emando2000 said:

PatAg said:

emando2000 said:

JJxvi said:

I guess all the politics would be too boring, but I was annoyed at the depictions of the tournament. This franchise is very gory and dirty for realism sake, but it took me out of it when they just throw in gore and violence when it will detract from realism. No Lord is going to let the main part of the power base of his armies go out and all kill and maim each other. Sure there should be accidents, but a tournament would be more like war training not war itself.

Yep, so unrealistic! Glad they have dragons to make it more realistic!

That was their modern day sport. Logic tells me that "the best" will not sit in the stands if there was an opportunity for competition and glory. Logic also tells me that murdering someone during that time didn't have the same consequences as in present day law. So that gripe they were trying to make doesn't lack logic imo.
It logically does not make sense to have a tournament where the sons of lords are murdered. An accidental death from falling off the mount or whatever sure.
They arent gonna have a swordfight after where he caves a dude on the grounds face in.
powerbelly
AG
JJxvi said:

It was a good start, but this completely took me out of the episode.
canadiaggie
AG
JJxvi said:

Quote:

There's been peace for more than 60 years at this point, so the thought process is probably a little different than if there was a perceived threat on the immediate horizon.
No way. These also arent the king's men alone, but knights and sons of all his underlings. There certainly wouldnt be 50 years of peace in the realm if like Every time theres a tournament some Stark son is axing a Lannister in the face.
I didn't see the sigils for the knights that were fighting but it's not out of the realm of possibility that these were a bunch of hedge knights, 2nd sons, etc. rather than Lord Stark's son axing Lord Lannister's son in the face. In fact I don't think it's unrealistic at all for the "dregs" of nobility to get brutal with each other in the tournaments.

LB12Diamond
AG
Pretty sure the show made it clear, giving birth was the womens war of that day and the tournament symbolic of mens being they were at peace. Thus, Emma dies in her battle and they showed men being killed in theirs.
JJxvi
AG
I agree they probably did it for artistic/literary reasons. It was very ineffective on me because presumably that scene was THE scene in the episode, but i spent it thinking "wtf?"
Breggy Popup
AG
Had Viserys left to check on Aemma before the violence started?
Phrasing
AG
JJxvi said:

Which is why I was glad they didn't go that route with Cole and Dameon. Let the show have its blood and guts with characters we don't know (I agree it's unrealistic - but given the dynamic of the scene, I didn't have a huge problem with it since we technically didn't know who they were. We can somewhat explain it away that they weren't lords sons, etc). I'm just glad they made it more realistic for the two major characters when they showed that fight.

Side note - you would think tournaments would get bigger and better over time. Compare the scenes from Season 1 of GOT with Robert's tournament and this one. LOL. It makes GOT look like Ren Fest. Maybe it's just that the Targaryans had that much more money and power back then.
powerbelly
AG
Phrasing said:

JJxvi said:

Which is why I was glad they didn't go that route with Cole and Dameon. Let the show have its blood and guts with characters we don't know (I agree it's unrealistic - but given the dynamic of the scene, I didn't have a huge problem with it since we technically didn't know who they were. We can somewhat explain it away that they weren't sons lords, etc). I'm just glad they made it more realistic for the two major characters when they showed that fight.

Side note - you would think tournaments would get bigger and better over time. Compare the scenes from Season 1 of GOT with Robert's tournament and this one. LOL. It makes GOT look like Ren Fest. Maybe it's just that the Targaryans had that much more money and power back then.
It was a long time after the fall of Rome before we saw splendors like the Colosseum again
redline248
AG
Bregxit said:

I think yes, but should that matter? Like what would that Creston guy have done if Daemon didn't yield? Kill him? The fighting to the death in a celebratory tournament was stupid.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man
Phrasing
AG
Great point!
will25u
canadiaggie said:

JJxvi said:

Quote:

There's been peace for more than 60 years at this point, so the thought process is probably a little different than if there was a perceived threat on the immediate horizon.
No way. These also arent the king's men alone, but knights and sons of all his underlings. There certainly wouldnt be 50 years of peace in the realm if like Every time theres a tournament some Stark son is axing a Lannister in the face.
I didn't see the sigils for the knights that were fighting but it's not out of the realm of possibility that these were a bunch of hedge knights, 2nd sons, etc. rather than Lord Stark's son axing Lord Lannister's son in the face. In fact I don't think it's unrealistic at all for the "dregs" of nobility to get brutal with each other in the tournaments.

L- R

Bolton - Tyrell - Mallister - ? - Hightower - Lefford - Cole - Stark - Lannister - Baratheon - Tully - Darklyn - Tarley

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So freaking Google auto complete spoiled me yesterday to the fact that Rhaeneyra dies at some point.

Similar thing happened when I googled Vecna from Stranger Things. I hate it.
Duncan Idaho
Teddy Perkins said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Anyone found a good family tree for the Targs up to HOT D? I'm afraid to look since I don't want to be spoiled on anything HOT D.

So you want a picture of a stick?
A twisty stick with lots of incest.

Sounds like a lady Gaga song
powerbelly
AG
That is on you. It is entirely avoidable.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, apparently by just avoiding any and all Google searches related to this show. All I wanted was the damn actress' name.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, apparently by just avoiding any and all Google searches related to this show. All I wanted was the damn actress' name.
Just turn off google autocomplete. As I said, that's on you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Or, you know, Google could not put spoilers in their autocomplete. But yes I have learned my lesson now twice over.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Or, you know, Google could not put spoilers in their autocomplete.
How ridiculous.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They manipulate autocomplete all the time. This isn't difficult for them.
powerbelly
AG
They do it for their benefit, not out of the goodness of their hearts. No one cares about spoilers (even you, who are super sensitive to them continue use it)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not sure what your end goal is with this discussion. Yes, it is my fault I got spoiled.
Breggy Popup
AG
redline248 said:

Bregxit said:

I think yes, but should that matter? Like what would that Creston guy have done if Daemon didn't yield? Kill him? The fighting to the death in a celebratory tournament was stupid.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man
Just pondering things...

When Gregor went ape**** during Robert's tourney in GoT, it was Robert who put an end to it. Maybe the killing was to show how razor thin the line between peace and war is. I dunno. The king wasn't there to put a stop to the nonsense.

Not saying I liked it in there, but it's a theory.
Breggy Popup
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So freaking Google auto complete spoiled me yesterday to the fact that Rhaeneyra dies at some point.

They're all dead at some point.
Psycho Bunny
Bregxit said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

They're all dead at some point.
It's Game of Thrones, I thought it was an unwritten rule that every character has to die.
Phrasing
AG
It's taking all my will power not to click on the spoiler tags.....
OnlyForNow
AG
nice.

Could these just be knights fighting under those banners?
deer corn
I call BS. Drogon was as big as Daemon's dragon or bigger.
will25u
deer corn said:

I think Drogon was upsized for the show. In the books he is on the smaller side.
redline248
AG
will25u said:

deer corn said:

I think Drogon was upsized for the show. In the books he is on the smaller side.
to be fair, in the books he's still a juvenile.

Edit: even if that's not completely true it's an attempt to take a dig at the author for not writing the f-cking rest of the books
bearamedic99
AG
To be faiiiir...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.