*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

309,591 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by YNWA_AG
Marauder Blue 6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just found this ad from the Air Force that will be playing before the movie.

tk for tu juan
Guessing mid-40's with corrective lenses rules me out of the recruiting pool. Just want to fly an A-10 or F-16

Didn't the first movie create a bump in the number of people wanting to be pilots/aviators?
The Collective
AG
Our military is pretty ****ing awesome.
Capitol Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Those of you who don't like cheering in movie theaters sound like real fun people to be around.

"The last thing I want to experience in a room full of people is communal joy."

Such a weird, grumpy take.

I admit, even when people are clapping and cheering and screaming their heads off in, say, Endgame, I don't personally join in, but it sure is fun as hell to experience and be around in the moment.
Amen.
TCTTS
AG
Currently at 97% after 69 reviews, which hit this morning...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/top_gun_maverick
Keegan99
AG
Been geekily checking on on seats available for my Friday night IMAX showing. It's slowly filling up, but the positive press should... um... goose things a bit.
YNWA_AG
AG
TCTTS said:

Currently at 97% after 69 reviews, which hit this morning...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/top_gun_maverick

Wow. I was expecting closer to 85%
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Engine10
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Music video makes the song better (definitely more shown here than in trailer so beware)

Jen Connelly's still got it y'all
Keegan99
AG
From the Mike Ryan review:

Quote:

There are no moments when I was thinking this looks like a CGI cartoon, like so many "blockbuster" movies do today. It all looks so real my stomach was in knots the whole time. Again, this is how it's done.

Hallelujah!
Bunk Moreland
Here were the only 3 'negative' reviews I saw listed earlier on RT:

guy from Polygon ...but if you clicked the link the title of his review was: Top Gun: Maverick is Better - and Nicer - than the 1986 original

Forbes:

Quote:

Quote:

Tom Cruise's 'Top Gun: Maverick' is an audio/visual treat and generally well-made summer blockbuster even as it becomes a 'Rise Of Skywalker'-style nostalgic ode to itself.

A review from a site called Black Girl Nerds

Quote:

Quote:

Is 'Top Gun: Maverick' the movie that will mark a generation? No. Its predecessor will always hold that title. Is it a fun Hollywood film? Absolutely. Does it have substance? Not really.

jkag89
No Spoilers in the Review but there are some plot exposition
double aught
AG
So, should I go see this?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
double aught said:

So, should I go see this?
Nah, wait until it shows up one lazy Saturday afternoon on your local CW station.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Opening weekend predictions:

I want to say $150MM+

But I think it's more like $100-125MM but it holds like hell and ultimately ends up with greater than >$400MM and maybe even $500MM domestically.

My entire family will be seeing this. My parents, my wife, my kids. And they are all excited. So maybe my numbers are low??
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree, I think $120M with a great hold in subsequent weekends.

Not sure it can get to 500 though. Maybe 385-400.
Keegan99
AG
IMAX shows will benefit from tremendous word of mouth. Those theaters will print $.
country
AG
This will be the first movie since pre-Covid that will stir the public through word of mouth for a long time at the box office. I simply don't think a lot of people remember what a blockbuster looks like that carries both young and old generations alike. It is going to be massive.
Gig-Em2003
AG
country said:

This will be the first movie since pre-Covid that will stir the public through word of mouth for a long time at the box office. I simply don't think a lot of people remember what a blockbuster looks like that carries both young and old generations alike. It is going to be massive.

I want to believe this. I just love Top Gun and Tom Cruise action movies so much that I'm afraid my bias is creeping in. But for this to make less money than Dr Strange or other Marvel movies seems crazy to me. It SHOULD be extremely successful if the reviews/experience is what it appears to be.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A movie in the most successful film franchise of all time making more than a sequel to a 36 year old movie is crazy to you?
Gig-Em2003
AG
My parents, my wife, my kids don't care about Dr Strange. They just don't. Spider-Man maybe.

I'm not knocking Dr Strange. But so much of why 3 marvel movies per year make so much money is because there aren't very many movies like Top Gun 2 anymore to capture their attention. Basically all big budget movies are super hero now. I would think the depth/breadth of audience for Top Gun 2 would be more. We'll see.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.