*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

309,580 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by YNWA_AG
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everyone is saying the movie is more emotional than expected, so I imagine it had something to do with that.

Ha, why is this the one reaction suddenly being analyzed to death?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nothing against you, but the author of the tweet.

Just seemed like a tryhard-y tweet to me, and a bit of hyperbole to get more attention.
Lathspell
AG
It sounds very "Trumpian", to me. When I read it, I hear it in his voice.
TCTTS
AG
Ironic, since she's a woke liberal who lives in San Francisco.
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So she heard no applause at any Avengers movie or NWH? I call shenanigans.

Well those movies suck so....
JCA1
AG
A lot of references to it being very emotional and will make you cry. Pure speculation on my part but wonder if we go full circle and Maverick has to give his life to save Goose's kid. That's also a tie-in to his dad.
Decay
AG
I heard they bring Goose back to life using the power of Kenny Loggins but then he dies from COVID
Stive
AG
Ok…am I the odd man out since it drives me crazy when people cheer and applaud during movies? End of a movie? Sure. But during a major scene while other stuff is still happening? Drives me nuts.

I'm on the verge of buying opening weekend tickets but I may hold off just for that reason. Crowd reactions tend to be less likely a week or two after a movie's been out than they are on opening weekend.
SJEAg
AG
Stive said:

Ok…am I the odd man out since it drives me crazy when people cheer and applaud during movies? End of a movie? Sure. But during a major scene while other stuff is still happening? Drives me nuts.

I'm on the verge of buying opening weekend tickets but I may hold off just for that reason. Crowd reactions tend to be less likely a week or two after a movie's been out than they are on opening weekend.

I don't think I like it either, but rarely do I see a movie opening weekend since I hate crowds and theater behavior in general.

However, I really like watching theater reaction videos on YouTube.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Why'd she "cry?"

Maverick lived
https://i.postimg.cc/rpHKr9JQ/IMG-0770.jpg
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea I don't like if the crowd gets in the way of the movie generally. Not going to see this opening weekend for that same reason. I'll check it out on a random Tuesday/Wednesday night or something.
The Collective
AG
Stive said:

No, you aren't alone. Some girl ugly cried loudly so much during Endgame that I was frustrated and pissed when I walked out of there.
The Collective
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Why'd she "cry?"

Maverick lived

No, it was because of how he lived.
MooreTrucker
AG
Ugly cried? Loudly?

That's nothing but "look at me and how much I 'care' ". Somebody should have just told her to knock it off.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
How exactly do you ugly cry. In gif form please.
https://i.postimg.cc/rpHKr9JQ/IMG-0770.jpg
The Collective
AG
Oh, it happened. You can imagine how well she took the Hawkeye / Black Widow scene.
PatAg
AG

Enviroag02
AG
double aught said:

I Have Spoken said:

Music video makes the song better (definitely more shown here than in trailer so beware)

That video rocks.

Also, the P51 is a beautiful aircraft.

Bought my dad a ride on one before Oshkosh 2021 knowing his progressing dementia would eventually rob him of the memory...but my God it was a beautiful moment.
Gigem314
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Arrakis ecologist said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Why'd she "cry?"

Maverick lived

No, it was because of how he lived.

I will miss...our conversations buzzing the tower...
Southlake
Take my Breath Away or Hold my Hand?

What would Teri Nunn say?
maroon man
S
Great song & video!

TCTTS
AG
Those of you who don't like cheering in movie theaters sound like real fun people to be around.

"The last thing I want to experience in a room full of people is communal joy."

Such a weird, grumpy take.

I admit, even when people are clapping and cheering and screaming their heads off in, say, Endgame, I don't personally join in, but it sure is fun as hell to experience and be around in the moment.
TCTTS
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Ugly cried? Loudly?

That's nothing but "look at me and how much I 'care' ". Somebody should have just told her to knock it off.

I've seen this happen dozens of times in movie theaters, even back home Texas, and it's perfectly normal. People get emotional during emotional movies.

These hot, repressive takes are wild.
TCTTS
AG
JCA1 said:

A lot of references to it being very emotional and will make you cry. Pure speculation on my part but wonder if we go full circle and Maverick has to give his life to save Goose's kid. That's also a tie-in to his dad.

There's no way Mav dies. I mean, it's possible, I guess, but I just can't see them killing him off. My personal theory - and this is based on zero inside information - is that the opening convo between Cruise and Ed Harris in the very first trailer is actually one of the last scenes of the movie...

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
yeah i doubt they kill Mav off, but i could totally see a full circle "forgiveness" for Mav with Goose's son after spending most of the movie as virtual antagonists. pure speculation on my part.
Keegan99
AG
Tend to think there's little chance Tom Cruise has audiences leaving in shock following the main character's death. No matter how noble the death might be.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I'm betting that Goose's son ultimately forgiving Mav in some way is what's giving everyone the feels, but who knows.

Again, I know next to nothing about the plot itself. I get a sh*t ton of inside info about the behind-the-scene and trailers and what not from my friend, but I've purposefully never really asked about the plot, because I don't want to know.

All I've been told in that regard is that...

- The first ten minutes are incredible, and that I'm apparently going to love them.
- Kilmer as Iceman has a very small, but crucial cameo.
- Drafts at one point opened with Mav as a helicopter pilot, which they ultimately moved away from.
- Drafts at one point had Mav having to rescue Goose's son behind enemy lines, which I'm pretty sure has been scrapped as well, though I'm not 100% certain.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Those of you who don't like cheering in movie theaters sound like real fun people to be around.

I admit, even when people are clapping and cheering and screaming their heads off in, say, Endgame, I don't personally join in, but it sure is fun as hell to experience and be around in the moment.

I'll say it. I had massive cringe when some people clapped at the end of TLJ.
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

MooreTrucker said:

Ugly cried? Loudly?

I've seen this happen dozens of times in movie theaters, even back home Texas, and it's perfectly normal. People get emotional during emotional movies.

These hot, repressive takes are wild.
There's getting emotional (I've shed a tear or two myself before) and full-on over the top boo hoo ugly crying.
TCTTS
AG
I've personally witnessed "full-on over the top boo hoo ugly crying" in the theater for Titanic, The Notebook, Marley & Me, Arrival, and Lion, just off the top of my head, though I know the list is a lot longer. I feel like I see it at least once every couple years, and none of those people ever seem like they're crying for attention.
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

I've personally witnessed "full-on over the top boo hoo ugly crying" in the theater for Titanic, The Notebook, Marley & Me, Arrival, and Lion, just off the top of my head, though I know the list is a lot longer. I feel like I see it at least once every couple years, and none of those people ever seem like they're crying for attention.
Saw Titanic and Arrival, and I don't get it.

Will never see the Notebook and don't know what Lion even is.

I will admit that I also have never seen Marley and Me for the very reason that I could ugly cry at that. I can't handle stuff like that (John Wick notwithstanding).
Decay
AG
Marley and Me is the damn worst. Book and movie had me bawling. Never again
aTmAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I saw an old man cry at Private Ryan. I assumed he was a WW2 vet. He gets a pass.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

the few times I've been in a theatre with audible cheers and applause I sure as hell joined in and it's SO MUCH FUN
The Collective
AG
At least Marvel understands when they need to let an exciting moment breathe a bit before dialogue restarts, take Thor's entrance in Wakanda as an example.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.