*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

309,601 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by YNWA_AG
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
it really does.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Music video makes the song better

Heads up, do not watch if you don't want any spoilers. There is definitely more from the movie in this than most might care to see.
The Collective
AG
Good thought, I'll add that to my post. Sorry if you were avoiding all of it.
TCTTS
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Music video makes the song better (definitely more shown here than in trailer so beware)

Damn it, this got me fired up all over again.
TCTTS
AG
I've seriously watched this thing in full like five times today.

I've always respected Gaga's talent, but wouldn't consider myself a big fan or anything, and was so-so on this song when it first dropped earlier this week.

Now? Combined with so much incredible footage (in 4K, too!), this might have me more pumped than any trailer.

It's just such an awesome throwback, not only to when singles like this were commonplace for blockbusters, but in its overall vibe as well. It feels so '90s, in the best way, like I could catch this video on MTV Beach House after getting home from the neighborhood pool.

Three. More. Weeks.

Fairview
AG
It's cool but it's no Danger Zone. Within the first 2 seconds of that you are thinking about buzzing the tower. I don't think that I'll ever hear Hold my Hand and think Top Gun.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I'll admit. Just listening to the song I was like meh….

But watching video… I'm like oh hell yeah…. Dang it I'm so ready for this movie!!
TCTTS
AG
Right?

The visuals makes all the difference.

For what it's worth, my buddy who's seen the movie multiple times just texted me this...

"This song kills in the movie. Kills"
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
TCTTS said:

Right?

The visuals makes all the difference.

For what it's worth, my buddy who's seen the movie multiple times just texted me this...

"This song kills in the movie. Kills"

Can
Not
Wait
Bunk Moreland
Didn't understand her early and didn't try to either...

But her work with Tony Bennett, coming to perform for hurricane Harvey relief at A&M, work on A Star Is Born, and now this... Big fan. Immensely talented and seems like a genuinely good person.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
UnderoosAg said:

double aught said:

TCTTS said:

So apparently Cruise is piloting the helicopter HIMSELF.
Call me when he lands an F14 on Midway.

Call me when he lands an F14 in that damn NES game.

The controls became inverted when you had to land. Basically if you did the opposite of what it said you landed it.
https://i.postimg.cc/rpHKr9JQ/IMG-0770.jpg
double aught
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Music video makes the song better (definitely more shown here than in trailer so beware)

That video rocks.

Also, the P51 is a beautiful aircraft.
double aught
AG
Quote:

It's just such an awesome throwback, not only to when singles like this were commonplace for blockbusters, but in its overall vibe as well. It feels so '90s, in the best way, like I could catch this video on MTV Beach House after getting home from the neighborhood pool.
I actually just saw the video on MTV (twice!) I feel like I'm in a totally awesome time machine.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, awesome.
Lathspell
AG
Never been much of a fan of her music. Funnily enough, the songs she sings that I actually really like are the two she sings in A Star is Born, and I do think Million Reasons is a good song.

I started watching it, then started seeing scenes I haven't seen in the first 2 trailers, so decided to not watch it any further. I really want to avoid spoilers for this movie, because I have been pumped for it for years. Great seeing these reviews being filled with such praise.
shhopkins
AG
I like LG a lot, saw her at the Super Bowl in Houston and was hooked. This song has no soul, hopefully the movie kicks ass.
SJEAg
AG
Seeing this in Vegas opening weekend! Taking my 80yo mom there for her birthday. I think she might even be more hyped for seeing this movie than me.

LV actually has a poor selection of theaters. And the lone 1.43 IMAX location...I am practically the only one reserved on 5/26.
jr15aggie
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Never been much of a fan of her music. Funnily enough, the songs she sings that I actually really like are the two she sings in A Star is Born, and I do think Million Reasons is a good song.

I started watching it, then started seeing scenes I haven't seen in the first 2 trailers, so decided to not watch it any further. I really want to avoid spoilers for this movie, because I have been pumped for it for years. Great seeing these reviews being filled with such praise.

Yep, don't watch it. Gave away too much imo. Was definitely a cool video though and the song is growing on me, but wish they would have stuck with the trailer shots.
Chipotlemonger
AG
jr15aggie said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Yep, don't watch it. Gave away too much imo. Was definitely a cool video though and the song is growing on me, but wish they would have stuck with the trailer shots.

Yea I closed the vid down about halfway through. Out of sight out of mind! I don't even remember what I saw.
MooreTrucker
AG
Tickets at Alamo on 5/26. Going with a group so I didn't choose the theater.

I definitely plan to see it again in IMAX.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Got my ticket for 5/27. 1pm.

Can't wait.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
FancyKetchup14
AG
country
AG
I have loooong thought this movie would be a massive blockbuster. One of those tweets said something like "they don't make movies like that anymore". That has been my thought for a while now as comic book movies and cgi have simply dominated everything. Simply not many movies outside of that genre. I think the run at the top is going to be long lived for this one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is this shaping up to be the best year ever for IMAX movies?
Keegan99
AG
It's weird thinking that IMAX has been around for about five decades and it's still a rarity. I guess the camera and physical size of the film was a real bottleneck. But now that's been removed. And theaters have an incentive to go IMAX since it's something that really can't be matched in a home environment. Hopefully we're at a bit of a turning point.
TCTTS
AG

(SF = San Francisco)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So she heard no applause at any Avengers movie or NWH? I call shenanigans.
TCTTS
AG
Critics aren't typically Marvel fanboys. They are, however, known for being older white dudes who might be more open to something like this. Also, Robinson is legit. I doubt she's exaggerating here.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
She also seems to be a contrarian in every podcast I've listened to her in.

She's a fine podcaster, but man her opinions and general personality can be grating.

But who knows.
TCTTS
AG
Ok, but I doubt she's outright lying, seeing as just about about everyone is having the same experience/reaction.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be clear, I don't doubt there was applause. I just doubt she's NEVER heard applause in any press screening ever.

Then again maybe she's only seen small indies in SF.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Why'd she "cry?"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.