*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,666 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aye Davanita said:

nosoupforyou said:

Aye Davanita said:

Like an actual good movie unlike the original, or a really entertaining movie like the original?
this thread is for fans of the movie - looking for updates - let's not have a back and forth like this please.. I can see a page or two of back and forth so pls let's not do that

Your name fits. How about not soup naziing this board and let TCTTS answer?

Not taking this bait. All I know is that one of my good friends has seen it at least three times and loves it, and that Christopher McQuarrie, the man who wrote The Usual Suspects and wrote/directed the last two (and best two, IMO) Mission: Impossible movies, did the final pass of the script and says it's one of his favorite movies he's ever worked on.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My uncle works at Nintendo.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am also concerned about the length of time. They have been editing, focus grouping and all the other nonsense for entirely too long. They are all sitting in a room together sniffing their own farts trying to prove what they do is the most important part of the movie. The studio has sunk a ton of money into this thing. Surely somebody is pressing to get some ROI and there must be an issue if they keep putting it off. Hopefully I am wrong. I want this to be good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The thing I'm most excited about is not having to see this damn trailer every time I go to an IMAX movie.
TCTTS
AG
Huh? The movie has been 100% complete for like a year now. They're not "testing" it, tweaking it, or doing any other "nonsense." The directer has even made *another* movie for Netflix, starring Chris Hemsworth, in that time, that's finished as well. It's so weird to me how much some of you project your biases onto this stuff, and how much you want to pre-hate those in charge. Paramount doesn't make as many movies as other studios, so they need their limited slate to make maximum profits. It's really that simple, from a studio perspective. Combine that with not wanting to upset their cash cow in Cruise, who - again - wants to do a full, unencumbered, worldwide press tour for this thing, and you get the current situation. They pushed to May and I'm honestly glad they did. For the most part, people are finally done with the pandemic, Omicron is fading fast, and we should essentially be back to normal by the spring. That, and Memorial Day Weekend is the perfect release weekend. This has always been a big, summer blockbuster, and it's also the same month as when the original released in 1986.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Ok, I guess. I know cash flow is real and they have been holding onto this for a long time. I guess they have the dough to float it, but that usually isn't the best business idea
Rudyjax
AG
TCTTS said:

Aye Davanita said:

nosoupforyou said:

Aye Davanita said:

Like an actual good movie unlike the original, or a really entertaining movie like the original?
this thread is for fans of the movie - looking for updates - let's not have a back and forth like this please.. I can see a page or two of back and forth so pls let's not do that

Your name fits. How about not soup naziing this board and let TCTTS answer?

Not taking this bait. All I know is that one of my good friends has seen it at least three times and loves it, and that Christopher McQuarrie, the man who wrote The Usual Suspects and wrote/directed the last two (and best two, IMO) Mission: Impossible movies, did the final pass of the script and says it's one of his favorite movies he's ever worked on.

There's no bait. I'm asking is it a cheesy movie with cool flying or a good movie with cool flying.

I think the lack of answers is the former. That's ok. I'll still go and see it.
TCTTS
AG
My "lack of answer" is only due to the fact that I don't think of Top Gun through your limiting, binary perspective. I wasn't trying to allude or hint at anything. I never asked my friend in those terms because your terms are stupid.
spadilly
S
Came back to TA and saw all the new responses….my heart sunk thinking the date had been pushed back again.
Sea Speed
AG
Dude, not everyone asking you a question is out to get you or whatever it is you think is going on when others engage with you. Thats 2 people on this page alone who are just asking questions or wondering about general business practices and you're being quite hostile to both.
TCTTS
AG
Both questions were definitely loaded, though. The first simply did the thing people always do on here that endlessly bugs me. Was it his fault/intention? Probably not, and maybe I was too harsh. The second, though, was intentionally framing his question in disingenuous fashion, then putting words in my mouth as if to bring his point home. I wasn't the only one who called him out either.
Rudyjax
AG
TCTTS said:

Both questions were definitely loaded, though. The first simply did the thing people always do on here that endlessly bugs me. Was it his fault/intention? Probably not, and maybe I was too harsh. The second, though, was intentionally framing his question in disingenuous fashion, then putting words in my mouth as if to bring his point home. I wasn't the only one who called him out either.

It really was an honest question with no motives behind it. People were assuming motives that just were not there.

Hoping it's a good movie.
jeffk
AG
I was hoping there was actual movie information.
nosoupforyou
AG
jeffk said:

I was hoping there was actual movie information.
my original point stated this as well- thankfully this back and forth is dying out so only half a wasted page

but the poster did seem to not mean to do what he did so all is well (on all sides)- let's keep rolling with new info on this movie, allllllrighty then (Ace Ventura)
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My uncle works at Nintendo.
My uncle allowed me to come and live with him and my aunt after I got in one little fight and my mom got scared.
File5
AG
On some boards the resident expert treats others with respect and thereby gets respect from less-informed participants/lurkers without being overbearing. Zobel / R&P is a good example IMO. This board not so much.
Rudyjax
AG
May 27?
Stat Monitor Repairman

Spilner's uncle
TCTTS
AG
File5 said:

On some boards the resident expert treats others with respect and thereby gets respect from less-informed participants/lurkers without being overbearing. Zobel / R&P is a good example IMO. This board not so much.

A poster basically asked me, in loaded fashion, "So is the movie you haven't seen yet bad like the first one, or actually good?"

Another poster then responded to the first poster, saying they'd rather not have that discussion here, seeing as it would likely lead to a debate about the first movie, not the sequel.

The first poster then hinted that the second poster was being a Nazi, and asked me to answer specifically.

So, in doing so, I respected the second poster's wishes, refrained from addressing the assumption that the first movie was "bad," but still gave what knowledge I could about the sequel's quality.

The first poster then essentially replied with, "Got it. In other words, your lack of an answer tells me the sequel is bad/cheesy" in somewhat of snooty fashion.

Yet, according to you, *I'm* the one not treating others with respect. Got it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hah.
File5
AG
That about sums it up. It's really more the tone than the content. Why get so worked up? We're all able to ignore the chuckleheads, I bet you could too.
TCTTS
AG
I did ignore it. Then he pushed again. So I pushed back.

It's funny how often the people who call me out for not ignoring the never-ending chuckleheads can't ever take their own advice / have to insert themselves into the very discussion they're saying I should ignore.
The Porkchop Express
File5 said:

That about sums it up. It's really more the tone than the content. Why get so worked up? We're all able to ignore the chuckleheads, I bet you could too.
File5
AG
It's because it happens on a LOT of threads... It's like watching a runaway email chain - you're in for the ride and never know when it will end, and you just want to yell at everyone to stop. It is just tiresome to see this happen so often. I think you've got a fantastic perspective, don't get me wrong, and this board lives on your words. I just worry you're getting too worked up man.
File5
AG
Internet mall cop feels like. Grabbing my Big Mac from the food court, peace
TCTTS
AG
It's a catch-22. I get worked up only because people are always giving me sh*t.

All I did was say that I know someone who's seen the movie and that that person liked it. Since then, a handful of posters have…

- mocked my "friends in Hollywood" mention.
- implied that they don't believe me.
- complained about something imaginary behind-the-scenes that I've already explained a dozen times.
- made a whole deal about asking me if I asked my friend if the movie is bad like the first one or an actual good movie.

And it's not that I care about any of that in any real sense. It's an internet message board, so ultimately who gives a sh*t. It's just when EVERYTHING I say on here, no matter how innocuous, is met with knuckleheads coming out of the woodwork to contest or analyze every last word, it gets super old. And then I spout off to *one* of them and then this whole other handful of people pipes up to say, "Geez, why can't you just ignore them." And round and round we go, every single day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
FWIW, the uncle at Nintendo comment was in jest. It's a joke on Reddit for people who claim to have insider info. But I kid.

Frankly I don't care about this movie much.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I knew that was in fun. I wasn't taking about your thing.
nosoupforyou
AG
I wake up.. 10 more updates.. something good!!

Nope.. as I thought, one poster has derailed the thread and called out the only 'value add' poster on the thread.. sheesh man!! Just don't reply if you think the movie will suck.. how can he say it's good or bad.. it's an opinion anyways - thankfully he sticks around and shares legit details

And please don't reply to this response, let's all move on and share new updates on the movie please - about 3 months and IT'S ON!!!
The Porkchop Express
nosoupforyou said:

I wake up.. 10 more updates.. something good!!

Nope.. as I thought, one poster has derailed the thread and called out the only 'value add' poster on the thread.. sheesh man!! Just don't reply if you think the movie will suck.. how can he say it's good or bad.. it's an opinion anyways - thankfully he sticks around and shares legit details

And please don't reply to this response, let's all move on and share new updates on the movie please - about 3 months and IT'S ON!!!

You got it. Oh ****, sorry.
CoppellAg93
AG
Hmmm - looks like a few posts on this thread got deleted.
Gigem314
AG
This is one of the movies/sequels where I don't care when it's released or how it stacks up with the original...I'm going to enjoy every bit of it regardless.

It does feel like a lifetime since the first teaser...but Memorial Day will get here soon enough.
Rudyjax
AG
TCTTS said:

File5 said:

A poster basically asked me, in loaded fashion, "So is the movie you haven't seen yet bad like the first one, or actually good?"

Another poster then responded to the first poster, saying they'd rather not have that discussion here, seeing as it would likely lead to a debate about the first movie, not the sequel.

The first poster then hinted that the second poster was being a Nazi, and asked me to answer specifically.

So, in doing so, I respected the second poster's wishes, refrained from addressing the assumption that the first movie was "bad," but still gave what knowledge I could about the sequel's quality.

The first poster then essentially replied with, "Got it. In other words, your lack of an answer tells me the sequel is bad/cheesy" in somewhat of snooty fashion.

Yet, according to you, *I'm* the one not treating others with respect. Got it.

Just to clarify, I didn't ask if the movie was bad. I asked if it was similar to the first one or better. My intent was not to bash the original.

Then, the poster, Nosoupforyou, from the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld responded that my question was not appropriate. I wasn't calling him a nazi. It was a play on his user name and him thread policing.

I really wanted your opinion on the movie.

I'm not out to get you.

I honestly though you understood what I meant.
Sea Speed
AG
Don't mind him, its just tctts against the world
htxag09
AG
Just going to say this does seem like a loaded question
Quote:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.