*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

302,840 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure why, but I woke up feeling a bit salty this morning and figured I'd point out this movie still isn't out. If the current release date of 5/27/22 stands this thread will be over 5 years old before anyone here actually lays eyes on the film.

I'm hopeful the box office numbers for Spiderman: No Way Home mean this film is finally going to make it in front of audiences this spring.
nosoupforyou
AG
Max Power said:

Not sure why, but I woke up feeling a bit salty this morning and figured I'd point out this movie still isn't out. If the current release date of 5/27/22 stands this thread will be over 5 years old before anyone here actually lays eyes on the film.

I'm hopeful the box office numbers for Spiderman: No Way Home mean this film is finally going to make it in front of audiences this spring.
oh man - I'm all about this one and need this movie!! No more delays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
htxag09
AG
I had just stopped thinking about it and then this pops to the top of the thread list.....
TCTTS
AG
I admit, I panicked a bit when I saw this thread bumped. I assumed the movie got delayed again, but I was relieved to see people merely hoping it doesn't get delayed.
agmag90
TCTTS said:

I admit, I panicked a bit when I saw this thread bumped. I assumed the movie got delayed again, but I was relieved to see people merely hoping it doesn't get delayed.
Same.
TexAggee05
AG
Quote:

We might have found the most impossible mission of Tom Cruise's career: Actually releasing the long-awaited sequels to his most beloved films.

Paramount announced Friday that the highly-anticipated seventh and eighth installments in the Mission: Impossible franchise have each been delayed a year until July 14, 2023, and June 28, 2024, respectively. And this is just the latest speed bump in the release of those two films and Cruise's other legacy pic, Top Gun: Maverick.
Quote:

the follow-up to the 1986 classic having already been bounced from July 12, 2019, June 24, 2020, Dec. 23, 2020, July 2, 2021, and Nov. 19, 2021. As of now, Maverick, allegedly, will arrive in theaters in May. Or will it?
Quote:

Which leads me to another theory: Top Gun: Maverick and Mission: Impossible 7 don't exist, and Cruise is only using the thought of them as a distraction as he makes his permanent Earth exit to set up camp in space.
So I guess we're still hoping for May 27, 2022...

https://ew.com/movies/tom-cruise-release-top-gun-mission-impossible/
TCTTS
AG
The Top Gun theme + football highlights is as about a perfect combination as there is, yet one I've never considered until now…

The Porkchop Express
It'd be great if they'd make a sequel to Top Gun and actually release it.
YouBet
AG
We may get Top Gun 3 before we get Top Gun 2 at this point.
TCTTS
AG
I take this as an encouraging sign. It's the first official piece of new marketing we've had since February 2, 2020 (the last Super Bowl spot). Which is... insane.
The Porkchop Express
People are going to complain that the de-aging of Tom Cruise in Maverick looks fake until they realize it's just because the movie was made 6 years ago.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, you're not far off. Filming began May 2018. Movie finally comes out May 2022. Four years. That's an Avatar 2 level gap.
YouBet
AG
Top Gun music brings a tear to my eye. Cruise looks great for 85 yrs old.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

Ha, you're not far off. Filming began May 2018. Movie finally comes out May 2022. Four years. That's an Avatar 2 level gap.
difference is people actually want to see Top Gun 2.
tk for tu juan
"Due to rising tensions with Russia, Top Gun: Maverick has been delayed until 2025." [/future]
InternetFan02
AG
Has our guy Glen Powell done anything else during this long wait for the release? He's just patiently waiting his turn to be fully recognized as the Top Gun 2 breakout star
nosoupforyou
AG
So.. no Top Gun Maverick commercial in the Super Bowl?

Really expected to see it starting the 4th quarter.. what gives?? Surely the hype will be all time high… right??!
htxag09
AG
nosoupforyou said:

Really expected to see it starting the 4th quarter.. what gives?? Surely the hype will be all time high… right??!

They only had the budget for one super bowl commercial……
C@LAg
nosoupforyou said:

delayed until 2026 and America's 250th birthday
TCTTS
AG
Technically, there *was* one...

Between this and the ad promoting the CBS playoffs a few weeks back, it seems they're starting with product integration and will then kick off the next phase of the campaign with a new trailer here in the next month or so.
nosoupforyou
AG
I thought the first trailer was incredible and the one they used during the Super Bowl was just OK

Do you feel like it's a pretty certain reality that they hold May 27 and no more delays?
TCTTS
AG
I've alluded to this before, but I'm friends with someone very, very close to the production, and they've assured me it's basically a lock for May at this point. Of course, there's always the chance another variant could hit and delay everything, but assuming we're basically reaching the end of the pandemic, I know for a fact that Paramount is currently all-in on May.
schmidthead
Oh come on, I have "friends" in Hollywood and no one hides a hit this long. It's going to outperform Covid or not.

Edited because I meant to say outperform not underperform.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think you could be more wrong. Paramount knows they have a hit on their hands and wants to to take full advantage of the post-Covid theatrical landscape. Cruise also has a say and has been pushing hard for a full, unencumbered world press tour to promote it. That couldn't be done until now.

Also, my friend has seen it at least three times, says it's incredible, I've had multiple conversations with them about it, and they always shoot straight with me / tell me they have a stinker when they have one. Paramount also showed it to a few critics last year when they were planning to release it in November, and a couple of them have hinted that's it's worth the wait as well.

But I'm sure you know better…
Fairview
AG
How anyone can think this movie won't be a hit is crazy. It could be 90 minutes of Tom Cruise sitting on the pot preaching Scientology with 3 minutes of flying time and still be huge.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. EVERYONE is going to see this thing, including both the older demographic and women who don't go to Marvel movies. I think it's a lock for top three box office performers of the summer, with an outside shot at number one if it really catches on.
I watch less than 1 movie per year but won't miss this one.
tk for tu juan
As a huge Porsche fan I remember the last time they teamed up with a movie I was waiting to see...

Hopefully there are better results this time
tk for tu juan

Rudyjax
AG

I'll see this one.

Have only seen a couple of the marvel movies.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

I don't think you could be more wrong. Paramount knows they have a hit on their hands and wants to to take full advantage of the post-Covid theatrical landscape. Cruise also has a say and has been pushing hard for a full, unencumbered world press tour to promote it. That couldn't be done until now.

Also, my friend has seen it at least three times, says it's incredible, I've had multiple conversations with them about it, and they always shoot straight with me / tell me they have a stinker when they have one. Paramount also showed it to a few critics last year when they were planning to release it in November, and a couple of them have hinted that's it's worth the wait as well.

Rudyjax
AG
TCTTS said:

Like an actual good movie unlike the original, or a really entertaining movie like the original?
tk for tu juan
Do you like movies that do not entertain you?
nosoupforyou
AG
Aye Davanita said:

Like an actual good movie unlike the original, or a really entertaining movie like the original?
this thread is for fans of the movie - looking for updates - let's not have a back and forth like this please.. I can see a page or two of back and forth so pls let's not do that
Rudyjax
AG
nosoupforyou said:

Aye Davanita said:

this thread is for fans of the movie - looking for updates - let's not have a back and forth like this please.. I can see a page or two of back and forth so pls let's not do that

Your name fits. How about not soup naziing this board and let TCTTS answer?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.