*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

309,582 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by YNWA_AG
jbanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just a guess, but perhaps he was that big of a legend in the naval aviation community.
TCTTS
AG
Potentially, yeah.
DevilD77
AG
I thought I read somewhere that Iceman might be commanding Top Gun for this movie.
'03ag
TCTTS said:

Mav looks to be AT the funeral - alive - so I don't think it's him.
I couldn't make him out in any of the wide shots. All we see of him is that he's in his dress uniform and saluting. Could be anywhere. Maybe he visits Goose's grave that way or something.
CoppellAg93
AG
For me, this was going to be yet another sequel that really shouldn't be made. But after watching that trailer ....

WOW !

Based on what we're seeing so far from the trailers, and remembering the greatness of MI: Fallout, I'd venture to say that Cruise is trying to outdo himself with each forthcoming action movie. Can't wait for this !
The Collective
AG
If they put IMAX tickets on sale today, I'd buy them.
TCTTS
AG
'03ag said:

TCTTS said:

Mav looks to be AT the funeral - alive - so I don't think it's him.
I couldn't make him out in any of the wide shots. All we see of him is that he's in his dress uniform and saluting. Could be anywhere. Maybe he visits Goose's grave that way or something.

Between both trailers, here's every shot from the funeral. It's definitely not Maverick, as he's literally standing next to the casket in the first trailer...

CowtownAg06
AG
I hope the funeral is someone older... Viper or Iceman. I don't want another tragic accident causes crisis of confidence for pilots story. Let's see something new.
TCTTS
AG
I assume it's Mav who slams the gold wings into the casket (I don't know the technical term/action) - and this is a huge stretch - but if it's Iceman in the casket, one could interpret that as Mav being his "wing man" (anytime). That said, I know Iceman's role is crucial, but I don't think it's a very big one. Then again, he *is* apparently sick in the movie, as he is in real life, so who knows...

TCTTS
AG
Otherwise, if one of the new cast, my guess would be Glenn Powell's character. It came down to Powell and Teller for the role of Goose's son, and Teller obviously won out, but they loved Powell so much that they beefed up another role just for him. He's apparently a super cocky pilot, and somewhat of an adversary to Teller's character - basically the Iceman of the new generation - so I could see Powell's character's arc ultimately going from cocky assh*le to somehow sacrificing himself for Teller in some way...

TCTTS
AG
And just FYI, Powell is from Texas, but now lives in LA and apparently throws the best parties with some of the most attractive women ever. I've seen pics, and the dude absolutely kills in that department. I was close to getting to attend his birthday last year via my buddy who knows him, but my buddy ended up not being able to make it, and thus I couldn't either. One of these days...
HouseDivided06
AG
Maybe the legendary instructor isn't Maverick at the beginning of the movie but Viper, and the funeral at the beginning is his and that is how Mav reenters the picture. Didn't expect an invite back, but it was ordered because he was the only one who could do what Viper did instructing the new class and handling the egos of Powell's character and Goose's son. Man, I cannot wait for this.
Duncan Idaho
Viper would be way too old for that
TCTTS
AG
I'm 95% certain that Viper isn't in the movie, and the character is way too old to have still been an instructor, but I do know that one of the first days of shooting was at the location where his house was in the original. And I guess Viper could die in-movie without actually casting Tom Skerritt, so who knows...
Fat Bib Fortuna
Kudos to Top Gun for being more up with people this time around. 1986 had 11 alpha white guys and the one black guy. This time around we've got a chick and an Asian guy.

My secret hope is that the entire trailer is from the first act and the real plot is World War III between us and China and Maverick is a squadron leader.
HouseDivided06
AG
Makes sense. Just thought the trailer makes you want to THINK it is someone new who dies when it could be someone else. Either way, this looks fantastic
TCTTS
AG
Another guess... considering she looks to potentially be front and center at the funeral, it could be Penny Benjamin's admiral father. Maybe that's how her and Mav reconnect...

Duncan Idaho
She so fine.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Stepping up from dogface to Jennifer Connelly is like going from watching Attack of the Clones to Rogue One.
nosoupforyou
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Stepping up from dogface horse face to Jennifer Connelly is like going from watching Attack of the Clones to Rogue One.
FIFY (thanks Trump!)
TCTTS
AG
McGillis and Cruise admittedly didn't have the best chemistry, and she obviously doesn't look great at 62, but you're insane if you think this woman was a "dogface"...

heddleston
AG
The only thing missing from these trailers is someone getting sonic boomed and slinging coffee everywhere.
Fat Bib Fortuna
TCTTS said:

McGillis and Cruise admittedly didn't have the best chemistry, and she obviously doesn't look great at 62, but you're insane if you think this woman was a "dogface"...

is this where I rant and rave and say as soon as I posted that I KNEW someone would have a problem with my post?
TCTTS
AG
Funny.
'03ag
No sonic boom. Just a lot of noise and building shaking.
heddleston
AG
Still not enough coffee though.
Log
AG
Beginnings of an inverted negative 4G dive at 1:45.
Know Your Enemy
AG
TexAggee05 said:

Is this one new, or did I miss it earlier?

Ho. Lee. Shiiiiiiiit.
wangus12
AG
Best comment on Youtube

Quote:

The dislikes are actually likes because they were inverted
Dro07
AG
Glad they listened to me a got Connelly
easttexasaggie04
AG
Humble brag but the decoy flares shot at the 2:02 mark were more than likely made at our machine shop here in Marshall, TX. We've made decoy flare since the early 90's and so has our competitor here in town.

who?mikejones
AG
Is navy recruitment going to rise again next fall?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gun

Quote:

Movie producer John Davis said that Top Gun was a recruiting video for the Navy, that people saw the movie and said, "Wow! I want to be a pilot." The Navy had recruitment booths in some theaters to attract enthusiastic patrons.[39] After the film's release, the US Navy stated that the number of young men who joined wanting to be Naval Aviators went up by 500 percent.[40]
PatAg
AG
Junkhead said:

TexAggee05 said:

Is this one new, or did I miss it earlier?

Ho. Lee. Shiiiiiiiit.
someone could tell me this is the worst movie they have ever seen, and I might die from watching it, and Ill still be there opening night
TCTTS
Duncan Idaho
There is a reason the army hired nick cage to star in the masterpiece known as Fire Birds.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.