*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

298,164 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by YNWA_AG
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

I hear you. Who knows how it'll come across in the movie, but the director and writer have been granted full access by the military or Navy or whoever and have been working hand-in-hand with them to develop the script and get things as accurate as possible.
I know there is going to be no way around it. I will have to learn to suspend disbelief. To tell you the truth.. I could show you an hour long video of a mission and it would BORE you to tears. Military flying nowadays has very little to do with stick and throttle skills, and there is no real dog fighting anymore. They turn the plane in a given direction and then spend 90% of their time manipulating things on their touch screen. Missiles are launched from a gazillion miles away, and the enemy sometimes blows up without where the shot came from.

If I were a writer, I would think of a way where some sort of new technology makes the current tactics obsolete. That suddenly, we need to "be real pilots" again. If they do that, then I will probably enjoy it, because they will be not using the technology that I am familiar with. It would be some new that doesn't really exist. To have Tom Cruise "managing his signature", shoot down the enemy without pullling more than 2 Gs, and crap like that would be a bore fest.

Edit: it would be awesome to have one scene from the enemy's perspective where they are flying along in formation, and suddenly planes in their group start randomly blowing up. Maybe have that a flashback of "before their new technology" or something.
aTmAg
AG
wangus12 said:

aTmAg said:

I worry that I will not like this movie because I work for defense contractor on the F-35. I know a whole lot more about this stuff then I did back then. I'm afraid I will not be able to suspend disbelief enough and might nit-pick this movie to death.
That must suck. I work in medicine and most of the **** they put on tv/film is wrong
My wife is a nurse and she talks through every medical TV show/movie to point what is wrong. There is a youtube video where some MD criticizes a bunch of medical shows, and it's pretty funny. "uh yeah.. that would pretty much kill the patient." Crap like that.
jackie childs
plus NOBODY wears jeans to play beach volleyball
Sex Panther
AG
jackie childs said:

Speak for yourself
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I know the feeling.

I hated The Last Jedi because I'm a minority that makes awful decisions in life.
Hey Nav
AG
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1293429/Great-Santini-The-Movie-Clip-Over-Spain-1962.html

They should have hired this director for better flying scenes.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

You do, as long as you're wearing your dog tags.
jeffk
AG
aTmAg said:

If I were a writer, I would think of a way where some sort of new technology makes the current tactics obsolete. That suddenly, we need to "be real pilots" again. If they do that, then I will probably enjoy it, because they will be not using the technology that I am familiar with. It would be some new that doesn't really exist.

Allow me to introduce you to STEALTH!

PaulSimonsGhost
AG
aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

I hear you. Who knows how it'll come across in the movie, but the director and writer have been granted full access by the military or Navy or whoever and have been working hand-in-hand with them to develop the script and get things as accurate as possible.
I know there is going to be no way around it. I will have to learn to suspend disbelief. To tell you the truth.. I could show you an hour long video of a mission and it would BORE you to tears. Military flying nowadays has very little to do with stick and throttle skills, and there is no real dog fighting anymore. They turn the plane in a given direction and then spend 90% of their time manipulating things on their touch screen. Missiles are launched from a gazillion miles away, and the enemy sometimes blows up without where the shot came from.

If I were a writer, I would think of a way where some sort of new technology makes the current tactics obsolete. That suddenly, we need to "be real pilots" again. If they do that, then I will probably enjoy it, because they will be not using the technology that I am familiar with. It would be some new that doesn't really exist. To have Tom Cruise "managing his signature", shoot down the enemy without pullling more than 2 Gs, and crap like that would be a bore fest.

Edit: it would be awesome to have one scene from the enemy's perspective where they are flying along in formation, and suddenly planes in their group start randomly blowing up. Maybe have that a flashback of "before their new technology" or something.

I agree. The entire reason Top Gun was created was because fighter jets had just become flying weapons platforms to shoot down Soviet bombers. By the mid 60s you could be brought up on charges for dogfighting durin training. Hell, the Navy's F-4 didn't even have a gun on it. They'd launch a sparrow or sidewinder 5 miles away and sometimes shoot down another US plane. I think it was the Alt Report that said nobody can dogfight anymore and that we had a 2:1 kill ratio against the North Vietnamese Air Force.

Top Gun brought that to 12:1 buy 1975.

Terrorists don't have jets.

You know who does? China. Russia. The Russians IMO are all hat and no cattle. They have a ****ty answer to the F35 that will hurt them financially because India and others potential customers want our jets.

We could shoot down maybe 6 or 7 Russian aircraft in a movie and believably not start WW3 because they simply do not have the capabilities to win a war with us. They talk trash and make our politicians look like fools. That's it. They're good at cloak and dagger; not fighting. As you'd expect from a country lead by a former KGB Colonel.

China... they scare me.

Edit: Jeez, I sound like my old man
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
aTmAg
AG
jeffk said:

aTmAg said:

If I were a writer, I would think of a way where some sort of new technology makes the current tactics obsolete. That suddenly, we need to "be real pilots" again. If they do that, then I will probably enjoy it, because they will be not using the technology that I am familiar with. It would be some new that doesn't really exist.

Allow me to introduce you to STEALTH!

That was too far away from our current reality. I'm just talking about a slight alteration of our current technology. Just enough to make real dog fighting a thing again.

jeffk
AG
We have cars that park themselves and only kill a small number of people while self-driving now, aTm. Surely AI-controlled attack aircraft are right around the corner.
aTmAg
AG
jeffk said:

We have cars that park themselves and only kill a small number of people while self-driving now, aTm. Surely AI-controlled attack aircraft are right around the corner.
I'm talking about the aspect where a woman is a good pilot.
jeffk
AG
LOL
Bruce Almighty
AG
aTmAg said:

jeffk said:

At least it wasn't an Asian woman.
aTmAg
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

aTmAg said:

jeffk said:

I have no idea what movie you are referring to. (Maybe that's a good thing?)
Bruce Almighty
AG
aTmAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

aTmAg said:

jeffk said:

It was a joke
aTmAg
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

aTmAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

aTmAg said:

jeffk said:

It was a joke
Gotcha
aTmAg
AG
I've always appreciated this dogfight scene (animation):

Bunk Moreland
Quote:

Oh, and buzzing the tower once gets you court martial so that irks the tailhookers, too.

Apparently the video link I posted last year earlier in the thread died so here's the video again.

UnderoosAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

Mother ****er... it'll be Imagine Dragons just watch

Could be a fantastically disastrous mismatch.

DUH DUH-DUH-DUH DUH-DUN

(bass drop)

I wipe my brow and I pump my fist
I owe it all to Charlie's kiss
Not leaving wingman exposed

(was stupid, *inhale* know better'n that)

I'm coming back, shaping up, no cargo planes with rubber ****
This is it, the apocalypse
Whoa
I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones
Enough to make my targets blow
Welcome to the danger zone, to the danger zone
Welcome to the danger zone, to the danger zone
Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm ready alert 5, ready alert 5
Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm ready alert 5, ready alert 5

MW03
AG
You jerks quit ruining Top Gun!
jeffk
AG
For whatever reason, I'd forgotten that Kosinski also directed Oblivion, one of my favorite sci-fi flicks of the last ten years. Vastly under-rated movie, imo.
TCTTS
AG
p-townag
AG
That is such a misleading, clickbait article title. Suicide is a complex issue that affects the victim and their loved ones in different ways.

After reading Kilmer's post, he's not "blasting" Bourdain. He's angry and sad Bourdain would leave his daughter behind and is relating Bourdain's decision with his own struggles with cancer.

Hopefully the suggestion that Kilmer would be cut from Top Gun was in jest. If not, I guess we're no longer allowed to talk about difficult issues anymore. Can't speak our mind out of fear that we'll dishonor a celebrity who killed himself and left a wake of grief and anger behind him that his loved ones now have to deal with.
BoxingAg84
Top Gun star Kelly McGillis makes rare appearance after admitting she wanted cameo in the sequel 32 years after original

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/top-gun-star-kelly-mcgillis-12691566

TCTTS
AG
Those pictures are legitimately mind blowing. Granted, she doesn't look that different from any other 60 year old, but it's amazing what 30 years have done to her and haven't done to Cruise.
TXAG 05
AG
TCTTS said:

Those pictures are legitimately mind blowing. Granted, she doesn't look that different from any other 60 year old, but it's amazing what 30 years have done to her and haven't done to Cruise.

Exactly. Cruise, for the most part, looks pretty much the same. If someone didn't say that was McGillis, you would have no idea who she was.
investorAg83
AG
She's blocking out a woman in the second picture like a friggin' eclipse. I almost didn't notice until I saw a third hand holding the dasani bottle.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Scene: I can see Maverick sitting on the front porch in his rocking chair, jeans , and leather jacket. Ready to hop on his Ducati or jump in his Dauphin for a joy ride. The new young pilot kid rolls up in a Camero and asks him a question, Mav's Ol' Lady (pictured above) yells at him through the kitchen window that dinner will be ready in 15 minutes and he still needs to clean the half bath like he promised to do...

Tom smiles at the kid and says, "Still takes my breath away..." as he rolls his eyes
Dro07
AG
I envision it more like

McGillis: Take me to bed or lose me forever.

Cruise: Show me the way to the door!
/Cruise gets on motorcycle and peels out as danger zone plays in the background.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

TCTTS said:

Exactly. Cruise, for the most part, looks pretty much the same. If someone didn't say that was McGillis, you would have no idea who she was.

Well Cruise is a vampire so what do you expect.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm not trying to be an a-hole on this but...

Seriously, I think she must be hard up for money as this would have to be somewhat humiliating for her. I mean, geez, this isn't PC but there is no way in hell they put Cruise and her as still being together. So, if there is a love interest for him, it'll be someone in line with expectations.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TCTTS
AG
I hear you, but did you read the article? She was basically randomly asked if she'd ever do a cameo in a sequel and she was like, "Yeah, sure." She wasn't gunning for it or anything, and it sounds like she's doing well otherwise. Seems to have a lot going on, just none of it really in the public eye.
TCTTS
AG
Also, I'm pretty sure "Penny Benjamin" is back in the picture, and is the love interest this go around, mentioned here...

Urban Ag
AG
p-townag said:

That is such a misleading, clickbait article title. Suicide is a complex issue that affects the victim and their loved ones in different ways.

After reading Kilmer's post, he's not "blasting" Bourdain. He's angry and sad Bourdain would leave his daughter behind and is relating Bourdain's decision with his own struggles with cancer.

Hopefully the suggestion that Kilmer would be cut from Top Gun was in jest. If not, I guess we're no longer allowed to talk about difficult issues anymore. Can't speak our mind out of fear that we'll dishonor a celebrity who killed himself and left a wake of grief and anger behind him that his loved ones now have to deal with.
Interesting. My wife's friend's husband has been battling depression for years and committed suicide last week. That was my wife's reaction. Just straight up pissed off. Her friend came home after picking their two daughters up and there he is in the garage, hung himself. As tragic as the whole thing is, his actions financially f'd the family and his widow and kids will forever have that trauma burned in their memory. Just a sh** sandwich all the way around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.