Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,848 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
Hamburger Dan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's been awhile, but I've fished quite a bit in that area with spinning gear. Truckee River more so than Tahoe itself. I would catch 8-10 fish in an hour so, wading in and around the Truckee. (Standard fare of rooster tail and Mepps spinners) Have fun.
LRHF
AG
Swung by the San Juan River a few weeks ago to fish with family and friends. We had a couple of boats for the day and a good mix of experience. We didn't raise any monsters but everybody had a great time.

One of the boats took advantage of a midge hatch and caught a number of smaller fish on dry flies.

We stayed with close friends in Durango, CO and drove down to meet our guides at Soaring Eagle lodge. The sunrise was fantastic, I love this drive, never gets old! I've never stayed at Soaring Eagle but we know one of the owners from living in the area a few years back, great folks, consider them if you are planning a trip.

Friends catching up, waiting on the boats to get ready.

We floated the quality water section below Navajo Dam. We met up with our other boat for a friendly group lunch.

No monsters on this trip but had a blast!

Still prepping for a trip to Chile at the end of the year. Need to spend more time tying and learn to get a little quicker tying Galloup's Sex Dungeon!

LRHF
AG
Almost forgot about a really fun trip!

We spent a weekend water skiing on Lake Austin in early September. Spent some time letting the dog swim while we cool off and drink a few beers. We were hanging out in Bull Creek (just past the 360 bridge) and enjoying the good life while all the youngsters partied in front of us.

The party was on even though it was early September.

We were enjoying the moment and the scene when we observed what appeared to be a striper boil up against the shore about 100 yards away! I threw on a clouser minnow and wife cranked up the big motor and we quietly drifted into the fish (as only a v-8 ski boat can!). We put the boil down quickly but on my 2nd cast and quick retrieve, a striper took the bait!

Had a good buddy that fly fishes as well and gave him the rod after landing the bass. We didn't see another bass! Would love to fish this lake with somebody that knows it well one day. Sounds like the lake is recovering after the sterile grass carp have eaten all the hydrilla.
Duncan Idaho
Went kayaking down a little "river" here in Alabama and Caught my fist carp today on a Frenchie I tied up.
Duncan Idaho
Didn't think this deserved its own thread but I found a bunch if old Orvis leaders in my closet. Stuff from the late 90s. They all had the little cards that you could mail in to get a free waterproof knot typing instruction card. So I sent one in.

I was all excited when I saw the letter today from Orvis. I figured it was either an old card that they had laying around or a coupon or something.

Sadly, it was just a letter basically saying "dude we haven't included these in years...try our YouTube channel.". I would have loved to have been around the mailroom when it came in and they decided that it needed a response.

LRHF
AG
It's been too quiet on this thread lately! Who else is tying flies for the upcoming hosted TexAgs Pagosa Springs trip? Pretty sure we can't actually make that trip but we'll see.

A friend of mine shot up to Dillon, Mt for the weekend to fish with a coworker. Been fun watching their facebook posts from the locals bars since it is 4F this morning!

This prince nymph is tied on a TMC 3761 in size 10. Check out the links below for a few different ways to tie.

https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-tying-videos/nymph-flies/666-prince-nymph

http://intheriffle.com/fishing-videos/fly-tying/beadhead-prince-nymph/

Christmas is around the corner, time to get a vise and start tying your own! If you already have a vise and you are forced to travel to in-laws this weekend, bring some supplies and have an excuse for check out for a few hours. I actually set up on my MIL's kitchen table and bang out flies while they waste time on Hallmark movies.
LRHF
AG
Heading to Chile on Friday evening to bum around Patagonia for a few days then head to Cinco Rio's lodge in Coihaique. Had visions of tying move flies but still pretty happy with my progress given competing priorities. We are fishing for rainbows and brownies, wish us luck. Will post some pictures in January!

LRHF
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
Duncan Idaho
Show off

cupofjoe04
AG
Have a blast! Can't wait to see this trio report!!!
cupofjoe04
AG
Heck yeah! That's awesome
LRHF
AG
We have spent 20 years bouncing around Utah, Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado during the Holidays (seeing family) but not this year! We decided to spend 10 days in Chile!

We flew into Puerto Natales (Houston->Lima->Santiago-> Puerto Natales) to visit Torres del Paine and stay at a lodge named Remota. The views were amazing (duh!).

The lodge

Torres del Paine is amazing (another poster on the OB did a great job taking pictures and sharing a few months ago!)

It was pretty awesome to see Guanaco (Llama's) wandering around the park with stunning views in the background

We saw plenty of condors in the region.

We didn't plan on fishing near Puerto Natales but the head guide saw us come in with fly fishing gear and insisted that we spend a day with him on a local spring creek... thankfully the wife agree'd (we had 4 days of fishing on the books in Coihaique later in the trip).

I won't be naming the Estancia but the views were amazing. in the pic below there are sheep and flamingo's (likely can't see with the posting quality). The ranches down here are truly amazing: massive land holdings, beautiful vistas, highly productive (sheep, cattle, idiots from N. America fishing) etc.

We came across a dead Rhea (related to an Ostrich) and pulled some feathers for fly tying. Further discussion lead to us agreeing to pick up the bird at the end of the day (and we did, I have no idea what i'm going to use these feathers for but I have a lifetime supply!)

Did I mention it was scenic? Amazing spring creek with views of Torres del Paine!

okay, time to see some fish (this is the Flyfishing thread!)

We had a bit of a slow day on this spring creek and didn't land any monsters.

I caught this fish in the evening on a size 18 elk hair caddis I tied. We found this fish sipping caddis on the surface in some still water just behind some current. We slipped in and did some casting laying on the ground and patiently waiting for the fish to move into the current where I could put the fly for a decent drift.

We fished until about 10 pm (kind of like visiting North Dakota in the summer, stays light forever!) This picture was taken in the evening with the spring creek in the background and some of this scene is located in Argentina. Dinner was eaten in the truck along with a nice bottle of Chilean wine before we eased on down the road to pick up our Rhea. Unfortunately, we had some mechanical issues and didn't get home until around 2 am.

We slept in the next day and didn't book any "excursions" (who knew we'd be back at 2 am!). The lodge had an opening for a mtn bike ride (only event that was still open), why not! The lupine were in full bloom.

There was another guy on the ride with us in addition to our "guide". The other rider was a self proclaimed "racer" and our poor guide carried a backpack with everyone's water, first aid kit and small assortment of not so useful bike tools. Despite being half our age (between the 3 of us), our poor guide couldn't keep up as we tore up this trail and opened/ closed the gates for the poor hombre leading the ride! (My wife and I met on the Texas A&M cycling team and rode hard this spring getting ready for the MS-150).

How about a bar-b-que!

It was time to move from Puerto Natales to Coihaique to stay with our friends at Cinco Rio's.

We were watching video's on YouTube prior to our trip and came across a video clip of Cinco Rio's on fire! Unfortunately, the lodge burned down in February of 2018 and our booking agency didn't bother to tell us this minor detail when we booked in July. We checked in and were assured everything would be okay by the time we showed up in December. Turns out, they were right but my wife was a bit concerned (think about all the "soft openings" for restaurant's... given a choice we never go until things are lined out! Sebastian runs the lodge and was an incredible host, he kept everybody on the payroll and didn't miss a beat).

This region has at least 5 rivers (Cinco Rio's!) and many lakes. We took a jet boat on our first day to fish a lake then drift for a few miles on a river.

Mi Esposa (Rule Numero Uno!)

Killed the small fish on some wooly buggers I tied for the trip. Pics below are a merger of a couple of different days spent on lakes:

I've had some good lunches on streams but Chileans beat everybody in N. America with meals! We typically had some veggies, chicken or lamb, soup and Chilean wine for lunch followed by warm coffee if necessary (It was indeed necessary on a few days!).

We don't have any pictures of the bad weather but suffice it to say, when the wind picks up in Chile, things get serious. Coming back on this day, the spray from the boat as we crossed the chop in this lake in 40+ mph winds was like riding in my buddies 1996 pathfinder in 2' sea's in Port O' Conner! Before we hit the wall of wind and chop, everybody donned a PFD.

Evenings back at the lodge were super fun. All meals are served family style and you get to meet guests from around the world. We had a great time meeting new folks and one evening, they had a local gaucho come sing old country western songs (this guy loved Johnny Cash, Elvis and the Eagle)!

Nobody goes hungry or thirsty. Cinco Rio's has a full bar, beer on tap and bottle along with great Chilean wine.

We only had 4 days at Cinco Rio's but especially enjoyed our day on one of the small streams that was sheltered from the wind (We had some tough weather on this trip).

A big fish for this stream. I spotted this fish rising just against the opposite bank. She was rising regularly but the casting was tricky with the wind. I finally managed a cast across the stream and put my size 18 caddis on the local flora. A slight pull dropped the fly on the water 24" in front of the rising fish. She rose to the fly and the game was over! Our guide, Felipe, was nearby and warned me to be careful with the small tippet (4x). Chileans don't comprehend 5,6 or 7x tippet and they don't have too!

My wife had a hard time getting this fly out of a fish's mouth. The struggle was because the shank of the fly was bent... ever seen this? The fish didn't do it, she didn't bend it removing, must have been caught on a rock on a prior cast?

We did a day trip to Estancia del Zorro

We went to del Zorro to catch a monster but the cold front that came through shut down the spring creek. Caught a few fish but nothing notable, check out Cinco Rio's instragram page to see pics of the brown trout we were chasing.

On our last day, a pretty rainbow gave us a great parting pic as you look over the Simpson Valley.

ccard257
AG
Amazing.
rather be fishing
AG
Any fly suggestions for creek/river bass this time of year? I'm off to a terrible start in 2019.
LRHF
AG
For you streamer junkies- best Orvis video I have seen! If you know somebody nicknamed "7 Wt", you might have an addiction issue.

https://vimeo.com/123359555

Enjoy,
LRHF

ccard257
AG
That was well done
Duncan Idaho
I love this new attitude in fly fishing.

When I left the sport 20 years ago, fly fishing had a stuffy and elitist reputation that wasn't unearned. It seemed like it was more about tradition and what was expected.

Now it seems like it is about any technology or techniques that catches fish, tradition be damned. It is just a lot more fun this go around.
Hamburger Dan
I stumbled into fly fishing about two years ago. Two years later, ****ton of time, money, and tanks of gas - I am hooked. Coolest thing I've ever done. I just got back from Northern New Mexico, 6th trip up there since August.
LRHF
AG
We look forward to a trip report with funny stories and some pictures!
Hamburger Dan
I'm not smart enough to post pics, and most everything I do is semi-comical. I did catch a 14" rainbow this trip in the Red River, that's my biggest fish to date. I'll learn to post up pics. My next trip should be mid May. I mostly go late summer and fall. I do enjoy others stories and pictures.
Tex_Ag_2017
AG
Rather be fishing, my email is in my texag bio and you can contact me if you still need some help with the bass flies.
rather be fishing
AG
Got to break-in my new Scott Radian on the San Gabriel today. Best fish of the day came as I was walking back toward the truck and saw 2 decent size Guads cruising along to tee line.

Hudson2508
AG
Where'd you fish on the San Gabriel? Recently, we did a stretch north of Liberty Hill that ended up at 183. Didn't see any bass but caught some sun fish. Saw a ton of garr and carp.

Also just got back from Crested Butte. Creeks and rivers were way way up bc of all the snow. Still fished the smaller Creeks (Spring and Cement) and caught a lot of fish with some careful wading in tight spots. We stay at some old cabins off of Cement Creek and fished a 1-2 mile stretch of it and never saw another fisherman there. I even took my 3 year old to the creek by our cabin and managed to catch him his first brookie which he got a huge kick out of.
dr_boogs
AG
Congrats! My guess is that your new Radian was the best looking rig on the river. What fly did you use to catch the bass? Topwater/dry bass popper or a sinking fly? Going to try my hand at bass fishing w a fly rod in a few weeks.
rather be fishing
AG
I parked under 183 at the South Fork and fished up River. There's 3 decent holes within about 1/2 miles. Caught the bass on a foam head popper I tied.
Hudson2508
AG
Just impulse bought a Orvis Superfine Glass 3WT. Will be my first Glass experience and pretty pumped about it. Now I just need to find a reel that doesn't shame this rod.
Hewey Calloway
AG
I've been thinking about building a glass rod lately. I've built a few regular rods but haven't done a fly rod yet, and thats about the only type of fishing I do anymore.

Does anyone on the board do any rod building? I'd love to get some input on good fly rod blanks.
ccard257
AG
I've built a couple, but not enough to have extensive blank opinions. I did build my dad an 8wt on a pac bay quickline blank that I really like.
Duncan Idaho
I built a spinning rod...it turned put ok but I have a lot to learn/need to practice so it doesn't look like I made it.

Duncan Idaho
That's a little nicer than the maxcatch 3wt I bought on impluse
LRHF
AG
Lake Austin Trip Report

Made a mid August trip to Lake Austin for some water skiing. The ski boat doubles as a fishing boat but with a really big V-8 trolling motor! I've been hoping to pull out a large fish on the lake and finally accomplished my goal. Unfortunately, I've been targeting bass not carp .

Of course the big grass carp eat my clouser minnows. When I try to catch grass carp in White Oak bayou, it's like pulling teeth for them to eat anything. The grass carp on Lake Austin must be hungry since they have eaten all the vegitation in the lake!

Day 1

Day 2
When the sun is high enough, you can start to spot the carp and cast to them. It's a bit hard to row the boat from the front with an oar then run to the back and cast but still fun. Caught this fish on a blind cast.

This spring we were lucky to adopt this new pup, "Cane" from another OB member. Pretty sure he was named after a Hurricane! He is learning to live an indoor/ outdoor lifestyle and loves swimming. He is fascinated by the concept of fish coming out of the water.

I still need to amend my Oahu post with a few pics and contact info from our bone fish trip. Have also made a trip to Spain that involved a few days of trout fishing but will have to defer to another time.
Hudson2508
AG
Took the new Superfine Glass out this morning on Barton Creek.

Nice fish to start a new rod off on.
Hudson2508
AG
We're they just hitting clousers? I've been trying my luck at carp in some small Creeks and rivers with no luck. Maybe fishing lake Austin is a better bet? It's tough in my kayak though. How big of a clouser were you fishing?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.