Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,997 Views | 904 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by AgFlyGuy
LRHF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiesherpa said:

I will be in Pagosa Springs next week, any good spots to check out for fishing, eating or drinking?

Paging Cup Of Joe!!! He lives there full time!
LRHF
AG
rather be fishing said:

Finally going to get my pontoon out on the river Saturday. Aired it up this afternoon and it looks like it's holding enough air, although I probably need to eventually give it a real good look. Plan will be to tie upriver as far as I can get and then drift back down. I know there will be some doors I'll have to get out and pull over some riffles.

Really debating if I want to take my nice 4wt or dig out a crappier rod. Will probably friend on how much time I have tomorrow evening. Biggest fish is to not lose any equipment and not flip or sink the pontoon.

FWIW, my dad has a similar boat about 15 years ago and lost a rod/ reel on his first float!
rather be fishing
AG
LRHF said:

rather be fishing said:

Finally going to get my pontoon out on the river Saturday. Aired it up this afternoon and it looks like it's holding enough air, although I probably need to eventually give it a real good look. Plan will be to tie upriver as far as I can get and then drift back down. I know there will be some doors I'll have to get out and pull over some riffles.

Really debating if I want to take my nice 4wt or dig out a crappier rod. Will probably friend on how much time I have tomorrow evening. Biggest fish is to not lose any equipment and not flip or sink the pontoon.

FWIW, my dad has a similar boat about 15 years ago and lost a rod/ reel on his first float!
Dammit.

The river we're on is super slow flowing and clear, so if I happened to drop one, I'll probably be able to retrieve it. I'll definitely need to put some bungee straps on the frame and get retractor for my forceps.
LRHF
AG
aggiesherpa said:

I will be in Pagosa Springs next week, any good spots to check out for fishing, eating or drinking?

Let me know if you guys want to float the San Juan next week. You buy beer and snacks and I will bring the boat and row!
aggiesherpa
AG
Will do, I'll let you know!
BusterAg
AG
I caught dozens of rock bass about the size of large bluegill in west Virginia last week. Anyone ever eat these? Worth cleaning if they are about 8 inches long?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
rather be fishing
AG
BusterAg said:

I caught dozens of rock bass about the size of large bluegill in west Virginia last week. Anyone ever eat these? Worth cleaning if they are about 8 inches long?

I wouldn't waste the time, but if you want to eat them, go for it. Some sunfish that same size wild be delicious, though. Also check your state regs and make sure it's legal to keep them that size.
BusterAg
AG
rather be fishing said:

BusterAg said:

I wouldn't waste the time, but if you want to eat them, go for it. Some sunfish that same size wild be delicious, though. Also check your state regs and make sure it's legal to keep them that size.

We did clean about a dozen nice sized bluegill. Great breakfast treat with eggs. I wasn't sure about size limits in WV, so threw the rock bass back. Turns out, No size limit for rock bass in WV.

If I ever catch another legal one, I will go ahead and clean one to try her out.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
rather be fishing
AG
First trip out in my pontoon and first time I've done any real exploring on the Bull River that wasn't my own property. Rowed about 2 miles upstream and then floated back down to our place. Pontoons are not fun to row, luckily the river is slow. Only had to portage a couple of small riffles. Caught 5 fish and didn't lose any gear. Successful day in my book.

Wildfire smoke is awful and my shoulders and back will hurt like hell tomorrow.

https://instagr.am/p/CSAY0etBA_3
LRHF
AG
rather be fishing said:

First trip out in my pontoon and first time I've done any real exploring on the Bull River that wasn't my own property. Rowed about 2 miles upstream and then floated back down to our place. Pontoons are not fun to row, luckily the river is slow. Only had to portage a couple of small riffles. Caught 5 fish and didn't lose any gear. Successful day in my book.

Wildfire smoke is awful and my shoulders and back will hurt like hell tomorrow.

https://instagr.am/p/CSAY0etBA_3

What a great day, No lost gear and caught fish!!
TresPuertas
AG
apparently my worst fears aren't justified. the backyard big fish are still there and they're aggressive as hell. late summer bass are on fire right now. this is 1/2 of the days haul and the second broke me off at the leader. my favorite time of the year
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Just took up fly fishing (like this week, i dont know anything), any good spots in central texas would be greatly appreciated. I'm in new braunfels.
shiftyandquick
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Just took up fly fishing (like this week, i dont know anything), any good spots in central texas would be greatly appreciated. I'm in new braunfels.
Maybe this: https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/guadalupe.phtml

But in general you can fly fish anywhere. Including your neighborhood creek.
rather be fishing
AG
Saturday evening I caught my largest cutt out of my home water, and a new PB brookie. Fishing is much better out of the pontoon.

https://instagr.am/p/CSlJfOsLyol
AgFlyGuy
AG
Finally upgraded my FW setup. Going on my 5wt radian and going to do some bayou carping this weekend.
rather be fishing
AG
Wow, good looking reel. If I were ever going to spend new Abel money, I think I'd have to go with one of the Texas ones.

But in actuality, I'd really like to have acquire a Tibor Spring Creek and Freestone, although I'm more likely to end up with an Everglades or maybe a Backcountry.
aggiesherpa
AG
Was able to slip away during lunch for a bit to catch some bluegill.

LRHF
AG
Had a great day with a neighbor chasing fish in the creeks around Durango!

First day fishing with my new TFO Professional II 3 wt rod paired with an Orvis click reel.

Holler if you want to come explore some of the creeks with me.

Badace52
AG
Nice fish... The first and second fish are actually hybrids between a green sunfish and a bluegill. The hybrid is often called a greengill.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiesherpa
AG
Thanks for the info! Still trying to learn all of the different species. Growing up, we just called them perch.
MAROON
AG
Fished a couple of days last week in Western North Carolina- the west fork of the Tuckaseegee and then the Bradley Fork in SMNP. Water was high in the park due to the tropical storm. But we caught a few. Beautiful place

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
bmfvet
AG
Up in Michigan for a week and saw this smallie basically acting like a tailing redfish. Ran up and got the rod assembled and a fly tied on, and she was still there when I got back. Largest smallie I've caught on a fly.
‘99
ccard257
AG
that's an awesome smallie!
TarponChaser
LRHF said:

First day fishing with my new TFO Professional II 3 wt rod paired with an Orvis click reel.

Sasquatch is real and he's a ginger.
LRHF
AG
TarponChaser said:

LRHF said:

Sasquatch is real and he's a ginger.

Haha... don't tell Shakes the Clown... I think He wants to start hunting us!
Ayto Siks
This thread has been awesome lately. Adding a late summer freshwater mixed bag from south Florida.

Feels like you're going a lot faster when the banks are close. Hauling through the Everglades canals west of Lauderdale.

The peacock bass hit every fly in the box. My brother and I probably caught 50+ of these little 1-2 pounders.

Here's the biggest one, not sure how big he was.

Picked up a cheapy 5wt combo for neighborhood fishing. I was previously using my saltwater 8wts on these small cichlids; the 5 is 100x more fun. Pound for pound, these cichlids are monsters. They can't resist a BH prince for some reason.

Finally, caught this runt freshwater tarpon about 6 miles from the coast. He was way past the mangroves and hanging out with bass and gators.
LRHF
AG
Ayto Siks said:

This thread has been awesome lately. Adding a late summer freshwater mixed bag from south Florida.

Feels like you're going a lot faster when the banks are close. Hauling through the Everglades canals west of Lauderdale.

The peacock bass hit every fly in the box. My brother and I probably caught 50+ of these little 1-2 pounders.

Here's the biggest one, not sure how big he was.

Picked up a cheapy 5wt combo for neighborhood fishing. I was previously using my saltwater 8wts on these small cichlids; the 5 is 100x more fun. Pound for pound, these cichlids are monsters. They can't resist a BH prince for some reason.

Finally, caught this runt freshwater tarpon about 6 miles from the coast. He was way past the mangroves and hanging out with bass and gators.

Nice! Most of your post been from the bank, is the boat a new thing? Cool pics!
TresPuertas
AG
nothing special but took my boys out tonight and saw these little dudes and just ripped them out of the water.

they had a blast sight casting and seeing the fish and setting the hook.

Ayto Siks
Still fishing from the bank most of the time, I definitely would have called it out if I got a boat. The peacock bass were from a guided trip, although they are very catchable from land as well.

I enjoy your trout adventures. Not a fan of cold water, but your pics are changing my mind!
LRHF
AG
Weminuche Wilderness cutthroat

This was a moose hunting trip with a friend (short post on the hunt elsewhere). He had the tag and i did some "scouting" in the river valleys!

We rode horses into Divide Lakes and set a base camp. Not much activity in the lakes but the Los Pinos River (Pine) wanders slowly in the valley.

We are very much in the upper drainage of the river and the fish density is super low. We had plans to eat wild cutthroat but not enough fish justify taking them (at least for me).

This was a super memorable catch. Hadn't seen a fish for over a mile when I discovered an opening in the brush and a nice over hanging bank. Cast from about 15' back from the edge. I had a small foam beetle tied on and it was sucked under the ledge by the current and without any noise, felt some resistance than set the hook. This guy went ballistic on my TFO 3 wt with an Orvis clicker reel! Wild trout in a wild place have a hell of a fight!

We had to move from our luxurious base camp to small spike camp after a couple of days. Our new camp was 50 yds from a pretty little waterfall. This waterfall is a barrier to fish moving upstream and was loaded with cutties!

We went to fish the waterfall for a few minutes before taking off in different directions to scout for moose. Let's just say, somewhere around 40 fish I headed Up valley to look for a moose! Streamers, nymphs, stimulators, caddis... at time's they were in a mood but once you knew what they wanted, it was deadly!

We did catch a moose and and now i have plenty of "moose mane" for tying!

TarponChaser
Awesome pics man. Looks like a helluva trip.
LRHF
AG
Floated the San Juan River with my dad yesterday. Some rain, wind, lightening, sun etc in the river.

The midge hatch yesterday was amazing! Dad isn't a very instinctive fisherman but caught a few on ants/ Griffith gnats.

Later in the afternoon my dad likes to row a bit (if you see him rowing, get out of the way!) on some ez water and I throw Streamers for a bit. Saw a big brown chasing a sculpin, they zoomed past the bow of the boat and the sculpin maintained a 12" lead!

Let me know if you want to come float the San Juan this fall!

aggiesherpa
AG
Spent the day on the Paluxy today. Not too much action, but we caught a couple small bass and this guy.

MAROON
AG
This thread has been too quiet.

Afternoon fish on the Frying Pan yesterday. Not too crowded. I caught all browns. Wife went fishing for the first time ever and caught the biggest fish of the entire group.

AggieChemist
AG
It's seven weight season

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.