Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,886 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
longeryak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tlfw378 said:

I have many questions for the fly fishing gurus...if you don't mind helping out a complete novice to the sport.

First of all, thank you for all the pictures and accounts of your adventures. It inspires me to try and figure this sport out.

Secondly, a small request. Can you guys give the details of the gear you are using. Mostly, I'm interested in the equipment you choose to use. Rod/ reel/ lines. I just got back a few weeks ago from Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. I'm expecting a return trip in the next year or so and I want to fly fish. Fly fish. Not bumble around in the rivers ruining everyone' else's fishing. So I want to practice and be as proficient and accurate caster as I can.

As a novice, I understand this is a journey, and most things, just have to be experienced to learn and could take me the rest of my life to master, if ever for this older coot.

If you were to recommend a good rod/reel/line for NW United States for a summer fly fishing trip that you would enjoy using, what would it be? I have seen prices and I understand it can be expensive. So, I think I'm prepared. I can save and get what I want. I would rather buy once and enjoy making memories.

I'm in The Woodlands Texas area and the only fly fishing store local to me is Orvis. I don't have any problem with them, except they don't have all the other fly fishing companies rod/reeels/line etc. Is a $120 fly line better then a $50 fly line of same weight and design features, ie. weight forward?

Thanks.
https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2020-five-weight-shootout/

2016-5-weight-reel-shootout

Oruc Reis
AG
Caught my personal best freshwater fish yesterday... monster smallmouth buffalo. They are spawning in the Dallas creeks right now. Wish I had some scales, at least 15lbs. heck of a fight!

TresPuertas
AG
dr_boogs said:

Thanks! I'll give them a go. Have just been getting into fly fishing. Do you give them a little action/hand retrieve while they are sinking or just let them sink where you cast the fly?

Mostly the same as a regular lure. I may let them drop for a couple of seconds and then start on a quick retrieve but nothing too complicated
Mr. Frodo
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Anyone have a trick to breaking down your fly rod while keeping the line on without it ending up like a tangled mess?

I float a river out here in my kayak and plan on throwing my rod and reel in one of these cases while I drift between spots. The water is too fast for me to comfortably fish from the boat.

Lt. Joe ... On my spey trips you break your spey rod down all the way or in half several times over the course of the week and i think that would work here. Strip off a little line ((couple feet past tip) and leave the fly un attached (to allow some play) ... pull rod apart at the mid point and fold down (end of rod back toward reel) ... hook the fly on the reel or one of the eyes and reel it up loosely... taking all the slack out but not super tight. You can secure it with some rubber bands top and bottom ... holds the two rod sections together. If you wanted to break a three piece or four piece rod down all the way you do the same but more times. You want it to unfold like an old wooden tape measure. This is secure enough that you probably could lose the case and strap the rod and reel down to kayak with a reel case on. OPST sells some handy neoprene dudads that do the same as the rubber band and are easier to see and hang onto if you want to go over board for that new Sage rod. Let me know if that works. I could break one of my rods down and send a pic if needed.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Mr. Frodo said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Anyone have a trick to breaking down your fly rod while keeping the line on without it ending up like a tangled mess?

I float a river out here in my kayak and plan on throwing my rod and reel in one of these cases while I drift between spots. The water is too fast for me to comfortably fish from the boat.

Lt. Joe ... On my spey trips you break your spey rod down all the way or in half several times over the course of the week and i think that would work here. Strip off a little line ((couple feet past tip) and leave the fly un attached (to allow some play) ... pull rod apart at the mid point and fold down (end of rod back toward reel) ... hook the fly on the reel or one of the eyes and reel it up loosely... taking all the slack out but not super tight. You can secure it with some rubber bands top and bottom ... holds the two rod sections together. If you wanted to break a three piece or four piece rod down all the way you do the same but more times. You want it to unfold like an old wooden tape measure. This is secure enough that you probably could lose the case and strap the rod and reel down to kayak with a reel case on. OPST sells some handy neoprene dudads that do the same as the rubber band and are easier to see and hang onto if you want to go over board for that new Sage rod. Let me know if that works. I could break one of my rods down and send a pic if needed.

Yep. That works. Just tried it out. Thanks for the tip.

I'll probably still put it in some kind of case. Im still figuring out this paddling through rapids business, so at least if I flip, it'll be in a case that should protect it somewhat! I strap everything down in my kayak because of this.
tlfw378
AG
Good information. This maybe the wrong time to be starting a new passion...but the force is hard to resist.
Mr. Frodo
AG
Oruc Reis said:

Caught my personal best freshwater fish yesterday... monster smallmouth buffalo. They are spawning in the Dallas creeks right now. Wish I had some scales, at least 15lbs. heck of a fight!

way to go! If you don't mind telling, what were you using and where were you fishing? I have been wanting to try white rock creek for one of these.
LRHF
AG
Chile Trip Report

We were lucky enough to squeeze in a trip to Chile over Christmas/ New years. We did this same trip a year ago and had such a fun time, we did it again! We have some standby flight benefits and barely made a flight to Santiago Chile just before Christmas. A 20 hour layover let us swing by the wine region for a couple of tastings. There was significant civil unrest within Chile prior to us arriving. The Government did something with Chileans equilvalent of a 401-k that didn't end well for the people. At some point, the subway fares also increased and there was country wide protests, and some riots in the big cities (with some fatalities). We saw evidence of civil unrest everywhere but in the smaller towns, we felt very safe and ours hosts were happy to have some paying customers (Lots of people canceled their trips to SA in Q419). The fish didn't care!

This is a view of the Simpson River from Cinco Rio's Lodge in Coyhaique. Unfortunately, there were significant rains before we arrived and the river was blown out for our stay.

Because of the rain, we fished a number of high mountain lakes for the first few days. Here is a nice brown with Rule #1.

If you are ever thinking about making this trip, plan on bringing some cold weather gear. When the wind gears up down here, it can really blow.

Chileans really know how to "Lunch". Always hot food, wine, a table and chairs.

This is an old steam tractor that has been left in a field. Damn thing is really big!

Happy New Years from Chile!

The fishing was a bit slow for the first few days we were there. My wife was on the bow of the boat fishing a big dry fly and I was fishing streamers from the back. There was a nice little cove that just looked incredibly fishy. She put a dry fly on that section of water a couple of times but nobody moved. When it was my turn, I threw the streamer in and it felt like the moment the streamer hit the water, the fish inhaled it.

Another good fish on a slow day.

Midway through the trip, we moved to Estancia del Zorro (same owner). The estancia has some beautiful spring creek's very close to the border of Argentina. This first pic is on a local freestone creek.

These weren't big fish but they definately chased down some big dry flies!

The Estancia has a beautiful Spring Creek that runs through the ranch. Spring Creek fish are very wary and my spouse did a good job of stalking this beautiful brown and then landing it! The banks have some huge undercuts and these fish know to run under the bank and break you off. I hooked and jumped a very large brown that took me over 6' under the bank before his run to freedom...

Posting, Part 2 next.

LRHF
AG
Chile Part 2

The estancia has an asado weekly (bbq). Nothing beats a long day on the river then strolling into the lodge for a pisco sour and a bbq! Lord willing, I will head to SA again this winter.

The scenery is really incredible. In town, we were clsoer to the coast and it's basically a tropical rainforest. Closer to the border, it's much more arid with big views.

This is a fairly small spring creek about an hour from the lodge. The fish are wild and not easy to catch. Initial casts into the spring creek start about 20' from the bank where you drop a dry fly within 12 inches of the bank and let it drift. You don't see the take but you know it when the fish has taken your dry fly. After releasing a fish, you are now at the bank and can sneak up river and stalk fish. As long as they don't see your line, you have an excellent chance.

Not a big stream but crystal clear water and perfect in every way. The fly of the day was a small foam beetle.

They wern't all small.

My spouse stalking wild browns on the unnamed spring creek. The fishing was out of this world on this day but move too fast, show yourself or line a fish and they were done.

This is our guide and friend Sebastian Letelier. He is a world famous artist and fly tier. We met Sebastian last year at Remota resort near Torres del Paine. When he isn't painting, he ties classic salmon flies and fishes in Norway for Atlantic Salmon.

After our time at the lodge(s) we did a little road trip south. Road trips in Chile can be an undertaking... Mostly dirt roads on their highway system and travel takes a long time! I could post another 50 pics but here are a few scenic and fishing pics.

Smaller fish we found on a small stream in the country side.

This was a fantastic small river that we found. We fished this area for a few hours and didn't move any big fish. This was a bit of a headscratcher but it was super fun catching these guys on dry flies.

Just another river crossing. We were about 3 hours on a remote driving trip when we came across this small bridge. What you can't see in this picture is the remnants of the prior bridge that clearly failed. Happy we made it to the other side.

At the end of our trip, we planned to stay a couple of nights in a small town called Rio Ibanez. The VRBO we booked came with a dog named Mocha. Recall that we flew standby? We woke up in the morning and checked the flights before heading our for another day of adventure. Unfortunately, the numbers told us we needed to pack our stuff, book new flights to Santiago and leave immediately. We were very lucky to get the last 2 seats from Santiago to Houston.

Thanks for scrolling through the picture heavy post. We're happy to talk to anybody that is thinking about a trip to Chile and specifically with Cinco Rio's or Estancia del Zorro.

Mr. and Mrs LRHF
Oruc Reis
AG
Bright pink mop fly. The spawn is over now but I was near goforth and Lawther. I need some sunshine and clear water and I'll be back after them and the commons. There are some koi in the creek too!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Anyone have any good recs for cheap, but still decent quality waders and boots?

Tired of nearly busting my ass every time I'm out on the river in my duck hunting waders.
TarponChaser
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Anyone have any good recs for cheap, but still decent quality waders and boots?

Tired of nearly busting my ass every time I'm out on the river in my duck hunting waders.

For the money the Frogg Toggs Hellbender waders are pretty good. Boots are something I wouldn't skimp on. Get a good pair of Simms or Patagonia boots and they'll last you a long, long time.
rather be fishing
AG
I'd recommend felt soled boots. If you end up getting rubber soles, buy some cleats to put in them. Don't buy the expensive screw in ones that the big brands sell. Simms sells 10 cleats for $40. You can get 250 of these for $20: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008N6AQXO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Check eBay or Craigslist. Academy's Magellan waders are pretty good for the price. Also worth looking at: Steepandcheap.com
backcountry.com
sierra.com
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Thanks guys.
Any thoughts on the korker boots with the swappable soles? Obviously, felt is ideal for the slick rocks here, but seems like some states are banning them?
rather be fishing
AG
Have never tried them, but have heard good reviews. My biggest concern with them would be the snap on soles wearing out and not staying on, especially if you get into some muddy substrates.

I always had a cheap, used pair of felt soles that I didn't care about getting torn up, and then a nicer pair of rubber soled Simms for trips up north, or when I was fishing freshwater and wasn't concerned about tearing them up. Even when it's warm enough for wet wading, I wear neoprene socks that have fold down gravel guards.

I had some Hodgman felt soles I bought for $15 at a used sporting goods store in Missoula, and before that I had an old pair of Orvis felt soles that I bought in Jackson Hole for $30. Keep an eye on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and you should be able to find something similar.
LRHF
AG
No experience with Korkers personally but have heard some of the soles wear out quickly (may be dated info)

I have Felt boots and rubber soles. If you are hiking long distances in snow or mud, felt can be terrible. In the water with bigger rocks and moss, felt is amazing.

You are correct that some states have banned felt. It's important to learn how to properly clean gear and dry when moving from river to river or between states.

Another thing to keep in mind is options for boat/ wade combo trips where you wear waders and boots in a drift boat. Rubber soles are perfect for this but don't have cleats on for this! The guide/ boat owner won't be happy...
discosuperfly
AG
I use Korkers and really like the versatility for fishing different watersheds. Felt is essential in some places, but is not permitted in others like Yellowstone NP. Here in Colorado, I use the rubber sole inserts with studs. While felt works great in the water, it does not grab the dry boulders when hiking down to the water. I have not used them, but know people who swear by the screw-in bars, particularly where there may be ice. A pair of lightweight entry-level Korkers come with felt and rubber and a pair of studded rubber inserts can be purchased to go with them.
LRHF
AG
Lt. Joe-

Google Bob Marriott's fly shop, they have Korkers 25% off April 8-18! Just saw this in an email from them.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
LRHF said:

Lt. Joe-

Google Bob Marriott's fly shop, they have Korkers 25% off April 8-18! Just saw this in an email from them.
Must be a korker's distributor sale... My local fly shop just sent out an email saying the same.

https://www.ashlandflyshop.com/collections/all-boots/products/korkers-darkhorse-boot?variant=32189798613078
LRHF
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman-

Just checked the map to see where you live, super jealous! You owe us some pics this spring.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Will do.
It's a great place to live. Big enough for all the conveniences you need, but small enough and remote enough that the outdoor opportunities aren't totally overrun. Maybe not quite like Noxon, MT, though!
Great bird hunting in the fall, too.

Side note, just found out I'll be doing some engineering work for an Orvis endorsed fly fishing lodge out here. Gotta bring my rod during job site visits!
https://fishingontherogueriver.com/
Hudson2508
AG
I second not skimping on wading boots. First pair of boots were pretty cheapy felt boots and they got destroyed over moderate hiking. Good in the water but only lasted a season or so. Recently bought the new Patagonia/Danner River Salt boots and they are incredible. Great hiking boots and great in the water. I haven't slipped once since buying them and I haven't even used the studs. Highly recommend if you want something to last forever.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Didn't realize danner made wading boots. I love my danner pronghorns for bird hunting.
rather be fishing
AG
My current pair are some Simms Flyweight. They're great, super lightweight and comfortable. My only complaint is the cost and they take forever to dry out.

I had a 40% coupon for Simms because of my last pair falling apart prematurely. Otherwise, I would have gone with something cheaper.
Duncan Idaho
I've got a pair of Simms intruder boots for wet wading and a pair of orvis access rubber soled boots for wading with waders.

I added tire studs to the sole of the orvis boots.

Pretty happy with each of them for their specific purpose.
Hudson2508
AG
Think I finally have too many reels.....

Did some quarentine organizing and realized I might have a problem.
TarponChaser
That's it?

rather be fishing
AG
Yeah, I came to same realization recently. Cross post from classifieds for some stuff that's not getting used and needs a new home: https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3105841

Fenwick FF79 8ft 6wt fiberglass rod
True Temper 1027 7.5ft 5wt fiberglass rod
Ross Rapid 7/8wt reel
Shakespeare "Tony Accetta" 9ft 5/6wt bamboo rod
South Bend 9ft 6wt bamboo rod
Orvis Encounter 9ft 5wt outfit (rod, reel, line)
Airflo 7wt Streamer Max Short line (used briefly on 1 trip to Alaska, otherwise, brand new)
Badace52
AG
Sorry for the long post. Just picked up fly fishing this spring. Been going up and down the San Gabriel River near Georgetown. Got hooked when wife set up a fly fishing lesson at Joshua Creek for my birthday since I was supposed to go on ared stag Hunt and fly fishing float right now (April 10-18).

First pics... Getting addicted, pictured guy is the teacher/guide:

First trip with floating line after getting my own rig minimal success:

Getting better... got the tip for sinking line and switching to clousers for white bass run:

Starting to get it down more:

Still improving although some hipster looking dude did tell me it looked like I was angry at the water and asked me to stop trying to beat the river to death, but the results are picking up:

Most recent trip. White bass have slowed down, but still been able to tease a few outta there and caught a big gaspargou and my first catfish on fly:

Not gonna call myself a fly fisherman, but I am hooked. One day I hope to catch up with the lingo and stop scaring hipsters. I have a lot more respect for the art now. Love you guys posts on this thread.

Edit:

Eating a lot of fish during the Covid-19 lockdown:

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rather be fishing
AG
Badace52 said:

Still improving although some hipster looking dude did tell me it looked like I was angry at the water and asked me to stop trying to beat the river to death
That's hilarious. We've all been there.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Georgetown! My hometown. First time I ever went fly fishing was on the San Gabriel. Caught a ton of perch back below the old bridge at the park.

I'm not quite I understand leaders and tippet, yet. I want to throw a size 12 nymph, with a size 16 trailing nymph. Everything I've read online says you divide the fly size by 3 or 4 to get the tippet size. So I need either 3x or 4x tippet, right? My leader is 1x, and you should only go up by 2 sizes at a time (also just what I've read online), so a 3x would be ideal? How long of a run of 3x do I need? 24" ish? My leader and rod length are both 9' if that makes a difference.
Then 4x going to the trailing fly?
rather be fishing
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I'm not quite I understand leaders and tippet, yet. I want to throw a size 12 nymph, with a size 16 trailing nymph. Everything I've read online says you divide the fly size by 3 or 4 to get the tippet size. So I need either 3x or 4x tippet, right? My leader is 1x, and you should only go up by 2 sizes at a time (also just what I've read online), so a 3x would be ideal? How long of a run of 3x do I need? 24" ish? My leader and rod length are both 9' if that makes a difference.
Then 4x going to the trailing fly?
I am nowhere close to being an expert, but I think you're over complicating it. Hopefully someone will come through and give you more concise and accurate info.

I also have a lot more comfort and familiarity with pound test numbers as opposed to X numbers. On my 4wt and 6wt rods, I'm typically running ~8lb leaders, with ~6lb tippet, then my dropper is on 4.5-5.5lb tippet line tied onto the bend of the upper fly.

Just progress smaller as you go. Length of line between lead and dropper is dependent upon water depth. The saying with nymphing goes, "if you're not dragging bottom, you're not deep enough."
LRHF
AG
Lots to think about, here are a few thoughts:

*water clarity is a huge factor. Off color spring waters can Let you run 3 and 4x tippet

*9' leaders are pretty standard for nymph fishing. Most anglers will use an extruded (store bought) leader for nymph fishing

*material- buy nylon leaders and use fluorocarbon tippet as needed. Nylon floats and in bigger sizers, fluorocarbon sinks (the specific gravity of fluorocarbon is heavier than water. In the smaller sizes 5-7x the tippet can float as a result of surface tension). Fluoro costs much more, is a little stronger, more abrasion resistant, not as flexible (negative) and takes about 700 years to degrade.

*Tippet- on all extruded leaders, cut the last 12" of the leader off, discard then tie in new tippet. Tippet you buy is stronger and more consistent than the quality you find in all extruded leaders. Extruded leaders are great, just cut off the last 12". Where you tie on the tippet makes a great spot to place split shot that won't slide down the leader (the knot prevents it from sliding down).

*tippet- Section 1: start with heavier tippet then go lighter. For example- buy a 3x leader, cut off the last 12 inches and replace with new 3x tippet. Tie on nymph number one. For your next section of tippet, use 4x. The 4x is weaker than than 3x and will break first assuming all the knots have equal strength and tied correctly.

*tippet- Section 2: you have your leader, a new section of 3x with weight above the knot and a fly at the end. Now using your 4x (for this example) tied in about 20" of tippet (I generally use the bend of the hook but you can also threat through the eye of the hook depending on tippet and hook eye size). Attach the 2nd fly and your leader is complete.

*Strike Indicator- as another poster pointed out, there is a lot of think about in terms of where to put the indicator and how much weight to use. If the fish are near the bottom, it's good to occasionally see the indicator more when the weight hits the bottom with the rig directly in front of you. In other words, you want to make sure the flies get to bottom with a drag free drift and have some time to fish before the current causes the flies to swing (assuming you are wade fishing). Unfortunately, there isn't a formula for doing all of this but it's fun and easy to experiment.

We don't know your water clarity or how spooky the fish are (or which species you are targeting). In a generic sense, assuming you are trout fishing, maybe a 3x leader to fly #1 and 4x to fly #2 would be a good starting point. If you are fishing a tail water with spooky fish 4, 5 and 6x tippet May be needed.

Hope this helps,

LRHF
Badace52
AG
Got my limit yesterday... and second smallest white of the season to boot.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rather be fishing
AG
They may not be Hardys, but I do finally have an A team of reels that I'm satisfied with.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.