Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,860 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
87Flyfisher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Browns are getting into spawning colors and moving around on the White and Norfork Rivers.
LRHF
AG
87Flyfisher said:

The Browns are getting into spawning colors and moving around on the White and Norfork Rivers.

I really need to come visit you one day! I knew a guy in houston that guided there for over 10 years and some of his pictures were jaw dropping.
docb
AG
Some Yampa action yesterday. Got about 20 fish with all the larger fish on streamers.

rather be fishing
AG
I caught 1 lone cutty at the house this year. Late, wet spring led to insane mosquitoes and flooding, combined with a burger out starter on the tractor, so I couldn't get the streamside mowed. By the time I got it mowed, just didn't get much casting time. River closes on December 1 and it's currently iced over. Opens back in May so I'll have to get after it earlier in 2023.

One of these days I'll have to make a run down to our local year-round water and see if I can scrounge up some white dogs.
ccard257
AG
Selling my Winston passport 6wt if anyone is interested.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3355382
rather be fishing
AG
Oldest daughter has school tomorrow and I'm off work, so dropping her at school and continuing on down the road to go see if I can get down to the river anywhere without getting my truck stuck. There's probably ~1ft of snow on the ground but it's been raining on it off and on for the last couple of weeks. Have to go dig out my rod and nymph box this evening.
LRHF
AG
Y'all need to watch this video! The guys from Wild Fly do a bike packing/ fly fishing trip through Idaho. The video is 56 minutes.

https://youtube.com/@WildFlyProductions
Pinche Guero
AG
Fished the San Juan this past weekend with LRHF. Him and his buddy put some green ass fly fisherman on 20 plus fish.

tony
AG
I already blew my goal to catch a trout on a fly every month this year. January never aligned with a free day and decent weather.

Here is my February effort. Forget the Super Bowl, go to the mountains.

Pecos canyon state park in New Mexico. I'm not a good fly fisher but managed to pull in several on a stonefly nymph

Edit
A quarter of a century on here and still fail at pics

Mr. Frodo
AG
Using the app.

Reply to post

Hit add image and it takes you to your photo library.

Select image.

That's it on an iPad. Same on phone I think.
rather be fishing
AG
Mr. Frodo said:

Using the app.

Reply to post

Select image.

That only works if you pay for a subscription.
tony
AG
rather be fishing said:

Mr. Frodo said:

Using the app.

Reply to post

Select image.

That only works if you pay for a subscription.

Yeah I haven't had a subscription in years.
TresPuertas
AG
couple from 2 weeks ago from our Aggie reunion trip on the Guad.

ocling
AG
5 lber on a 5wt
TresPuertas
AG
nm. i guess we can't post videos
LRHF
AG
Do you have Instagram? Find a free place to host the video and drop a link here!
LRHF
AG
Ran up to Vallecito Reservoir to chase pike, found 'Em!

The wind died down and focused on sight casting to cruising pike! Picked up a rainbow as I made my way to the lake. Guess he wasn't tippet shy with the wire leader!

LRHF

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsaSL0NN7jK/?igshid=MmJiY2I4NDBkZg==
aggiesherpa
AG
I have been having a fun time with the evening poppers this last week, and I had a surprise yesterday with my first carp! I really like the dark color on that last sunfish. The bass measured 17.75 in which most charts say is about 3lbs.

LRHF
AG
We picked up another couple of fish!

My young friend from Georgia helped me with a picture m. He was fishing with a spinning rig/ lure and didn't have wire tippet. I was re-rigging him when more pike showed up… handed him my 10 wt rod and coached him on 3 casts. They were bad, really bad! I attended to rigging his rod when I heard a fish fighting in the shallow water and Noah hollering with glee!!! I don't have a ****ing clue how he turned his 4th cast into a big ass pike but he did it! These two fish were caught 5 minutes apart and the only fish caught today!

Yordaddy
AG
Awesome pics in here. Heading to Broken Bow Tues-Thursday to try and get some trout on the fly.
LRHF
AG
41" pike!

Caught a record fish today! Doubt I'll ever top this in Colorado. Spotted a nice looking fish slowly feeding towards me. Made a +/- 20' cast to this fish and stripped about 3" from her mouth she ate and all hell broke loose! After a short fight, had this fish to the leader attempted to take some video and pics. Had a tape handy and put in 8" of water with a rock on the end. Pulled the fishes nose onto the tape and estimated the tail at 41", would have broken the Colorado State record with their modern score keeping standards (if I had a witness, oh well!)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Csh4QuqreWj/?igshid=ZWQyN2ExYTkwZQ==
Strangely Attractive
AG
Broken Bow, OK
87Flyfisher
AG
Put the Smithfly raft on an Arkansas Smallmouth stream today.

Badace52
AG
That looks like a blast. Love a good smallmouth bite.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Al Bula
AG
Strangely Attractive said:

Broken Bow, OK

looks like an awesome time! Father/Son stuff is the best.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Not sure if I ever shared this pic of a cutbow I caught on the Yellowstone east of Livingston a couple of years ago.
chocolatelabs
AG
87Flyfisher said:

Put the Smithfly raft on an Arkansas Smallmouth stream today.

i sure need to get up there soon....
Badace52
AG
Brushing up on dry fly and nymphing for an upcoming trip to Montana in mid June. Then decided to try and work on double hauling with a streamer.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Yordaddy
AG
Arrived this afternoon and fished a few hours on my own. Caught 3 rainbows on dry flies, which were the first rainbows I have caught without a guide. No pics due to poor coordination between getting my phone out and wrangling squirming fish. Two more full days to go here on the LMFR.
rather be fishing
AG
I can't say I've ever caught a spot-tail shiner on fly. That's pretty cool.
rather be fishing
AG
Got out on the bank at the house this evening. No takers on dries, salmonflies, or a WB. Water is still up and dirty, should be good in a week or two once runoff starts to taper. Going to be another banner year for mosquitoes it looks like.
Badace52
AG
I caught like 20 that was the smallest one. The pic it censored is another one closer to the average size I was getting. They were hitting the nymphs in every little eddy of the swift water like crazy. It was surprisingly fun.

I'll try posting another pic here:

TheMasterplan
Got skunked on the lower colorado river around weberville park. It was my first time on that river.

I was kayaking and the water was dirty and was trying everything under the sun.

The only thing I didn't try was nymphs. Do nymphs catch bass, catfish etc. in Texas at all? I mostly see people fishing some kind of streamer or topwater.

I have read big streamers that are dark are what to use.

All my buddys on conventional gear caught some. I think I'll book a guide sometime to get myself acquainted and a better fisher.

I was running a floating line. Maybe a sink tip would be better?
rather be fishing
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Got skunked on the lower colorado river around weberville park. It was my first time on that river.

The only thing I didn't try was nymphs. Do nymphs catch bass, catfish etc. in Texas at all? I mostly see people fishing some kind of streamer or topwater.

All my buddys on conventional gear caught some. I think I'll book a guide sometime to get myself acquainted and a better fisher.

Yes, nymphs will catch fish in Texas. Typically a gold beadhead in a larger size is good for at least a sunfish of some variety. Poppers and wooly buggers are great, and something like a Lunch Money or other baitfish streamer is what I would try.
TheMasterplan
rather be fishing said:

TheMasterplan said:

Yes, nymphs will catch fish in Texas. Typically a gold beadhead in a larger size is good for at least a sunfish of some variety. Poppers and wooly buggers are great, and something like a Lunch Money or other baitfish streamer is what I would try.
Thanks - I have nymphs from size 12 to size 18 so probably need to stick to the size 12 and larger.

I'll seek out the lunch money streamer.

I can probably learn to tie my own streamers. They seem to "look" easier to tie than nymphs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.