Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,371 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by docb
87Flyfisher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I made a trip over to Auburn, Alabama to visit my daughter and float the Tallapoosa River for Tallapoosa Redeye Bass and Alabama Bass. The Redeyes are the prettiest of all the Black Bass.

ccard257
AG
I didn't know those were a thing. Very cool!
Hhilton82
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Got skunked on the lower colorado river around weberville park. It was my first time on that river.

I was kayaking and the water was dirty and was trying everything under the sun.
I was running a floating line. Maybe a sink tip would be better?

I fish with AllWater Guides (Alvin Deadeaux) occasionally down there. They really preach the sinking line. I personally have a tough time fishing it
Badace52
AG
Currently on a trip to the flathead River in Montana. We have done 1.5 days of guided floats and some of our own fishing too. I managed to pull a Flathead slam both days so far with western slope cutthroat, whitefish and bull trout each day.

Tomorrow we are gonna get our catch cards to specifically target the monster bull trout on the south fork of the Flathead. Wish us luck.

Some highlights:

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rather be fishing
AG
I finally have fish to add after a long hiatus. Nothing but the invasive scourge of western Montana, but I'll take it.

https://instagr.am/p/Ct5kHoXu5PM
bmfvet
AG
I've caught them on poppers, streamers, San Juan worms, and crawfish patterns on the Colorado below Austin. I usually put in further upstream, seems to get less pressure than down there with the jet boats.
‘99
bmfvet
AG
Had a crazy hatch of mayflies on a lake in Michigan. Caught a new species called rock bass. If I'd had a mayfly pattern fly I could have caught a hundred of them sipping flies off the surface like trout.

‘99
Badace52
AG
New PB smallie this evening on a top water popper fly. Stillhouse Hollow Lake.

My buddy caught a 1.5lb largemouth on the same rig. Hard to beat topwater fly eats.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
Also forgot to follow up on my bull trout fishing in Montana. We did get into some of the bigger ones on the South Fork of the Flathead a bit further upstream

Badace52
AG
Dp
rather be fishing
AG
Caught what is probably my PB for the house the other night. Planning to take a PTO day here soon and do a full day float. I'll get my wife to drop me up river and float back to the house on my pontoon. Spent a couple hours on the vise last night. We're in the terrestrial part of the season now. Water is low and we don't really have any rain in sight.

Badace52
AG
That's a toad of a cutty...

Also beautiful fish. Where you located?
rather be fishing
AG
Badace52 said:

That's a toad of a cutty...

Also beautiful fish. Where you located?

We live on the Bull River in NW Montana
Badace52
AG
Well that explains why that cutthroat looks so pure. Montana is a truly wonderful state. Just made my first trip up there this year and already working on a plan to go back.
LRHF
AG
rather be fishing said:

Caught what is probably my PB for the house the other night. Planning to take a PTO day here soon and do a full day float. I'll get my wife to drop me up river and ghost back to the house on my pontoon. Spent a couple hours on the vise last night. Where in the terrestrial party of the season early. Water is low and we don't really have any rain in sight.

**** yea Buddy!!!!
LRHF
AG
It's rare that I get to fish from my boat! One of our shop guys attended A&M for a while and we split rowing time. The day before had another Aggie couple on the boat and we picked up a few nice fish!

Annually we have an "ant fall" and a weak version happened a couple of days ago (depends on how much rain we get).

Nothing better than catching big fish on 6x tippet and small dries!

87Flyfisher
87Flyfisher
AG
A few pics from last month's 10th Wedding Anniversary trip through Wyoming and Colorado.

Started at Grey Reef on the N. Platte, Wind River at Boysen, through Yellowstone and Tetons, Deckers, Dreamstream and 11 Mlle Canyon.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I want to get my dad a good basic flyfishing combo for christmas. Is something like the orvis clearwater or a tfo combo still the go to? 4 or 5wt, primarily for trout fishing new mexico. Recommendations?
LRHF
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

I want to get my dad a good basic flyfishing combo for christmas. Is something like the orvis clearwater or a tfo combo still the go to? 4 or 5wt, primarily for trout fishing new mexico. Recommendations?

As you noted the Clearwater rods are damn fine, I recommend these often. My personal 3 wt rod is a TFO.

What rivers/ streams are you thinking about? For the smaller creeks, I love a 7' 6" 3 wt. I fish the San Juan a bunch and use a 8' 6" 4 wt for my dry fly fishing. Anytime I'm nymphing the SJR I'm fishing 9' 5 wt's (one echo and one Clearwater) but would love to try a 10' 4 wt!
aggiesherpa
AG
I think those are both good options, and can't go wrong with either one. If mainly chasing smaller trout, I would go with the 4 wt.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Nice thanks guys. He's done a couple san juan trips but will probably do more poking around the jemez and rio grande (drove from taos to albuquerque last weekend and drooled over that stretch of the rio grande the whole way)
TarponChaser
Spent a few days in the Missouri Ozarks last month. Yeah, they're stockers but those smiles don't care.

https://instagr.am/p/CyJU0rouP5K

https://instagr.am/p/CyJVXdEOPEy

https://instagr.am/p/CyJVyVXOyVO
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Nice!!!

Anybody used a redington path? One of my favorite rods is a redington predator, wonder if the path combo is worth a darn for $100 this weekend?

Edit: some googling/reddit suggests the clearwater is a head and shoulders above the tfo and even farther above the redington. Buy once cry once!
rather be fishing
AG
I owned a Redington Path 8wt for a short period of time because I got it significantly reduced during a Gander Mtn close out. I didn't really care for it and switched over to a TFO Mangrove.

TFO warranty is unbeatable but the Orvis Clearwater will be an awesome rod as well.
LRHF
AG
Head to a fly shop with your dad have him cast a few. Whatever rod he casts the best is the correct answer for him!

As a side note, we have a guy out of San Juan Anglers that makes custom rods. He does bamboo, carbon and fiberglass. His passion is slower rods (think Winston and slower).
TresPuertas
AG
Spent a couple of TOUGH days last weekend on our annual trip to the Guadalupe. Roughest time for me trying to get on them I've ever had but everyone else in my group did pretty good. Nothing special but being that this hasn't been updated since November i figured any updates are good updates.

Trying out the Blue River in Tishomingo, OK next week. anyone have any advice on that one let me know.

rather be fishing
AG
Good looking Texas trouts.

It looks like El Nino is going to make things very crappy around NW Montana for 2024. We have like 50-60% snowpack. It's not looking like it's going to get any better and a very early spring. Great for the local high school which will be fielding it's first baseball team ever (they start practice March 4, so the field meet actually be melted off). Bad for the trout waters.

On the bright side, maybe the mosquitoes won't have larval habitat???
docb
AG
rather be fishing said:

Good looking Texas trouts.

It looks like El Nino is going to make things very crappy around NW Montana for 2024. We have like 50-60% snowpack. It's not looking like it's going to get any better and a very early spring. Great for the local high school which will be fielding it's first baseball team ever (they start practice March 4, so the field meet actually be melted off). Bad for the trout waters.

On the bright side, maybe the mosquitoes won't have larval habitat???
Bummer for the snowpack this year. That's really cool about the new baseball team. I love trout fishing and baseball! FYI those "Texas trout" were likely Arkansas trout a few months ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.