Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,870 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LRHF said:

We decided to head to Livingston, MT. Unfortunately, noticed the refrigerator wasn't working yesterday afternoon in Missoula. After many calls and a few hours in a dealer parking lot, finally got some help and quick repair! Checked the refrigerator in Bozeman before we bought groceries and the thermal fuse was burned out again. Hope we can get some help in Bozeman tomorrow but the nearest dealer is in Billings. Just want to go catch some fish! On a lighter note, we camped in a truck stop last night and Wal-Mart tonight, the people watching is interesting

Your right on the Gallatin, man.
AG81xx
AG
My friends stayed an extra day and sent this pic
LRHF
AG
AG81xx said:

My friends stayed an extra day and sent this pic

Would be cool if you told us what he caught it on! At least if a streamer, nymph or dry fly along with a good story! Nice catch for your friend!
AG81xx
AG
Nymphed with a red San Juan worm wIth a caddis dropper. Most of the bigger fish were caught on the worm, but a few on the caddis. Did catch one with a hopper on the surface.
AG81xx
AG
As for a story, on the 22" rainbow I caught in the first photo, about 2/3's of the way of landing him, the spool of my fly reel popped out, a bit of a mess, but was able to strip him in the rest of the way.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
The smoke and fires have been absolutely brutal here in Southern Oregon. From my back yard...

Have actually heard good reports since it keeps the sun off the water. Just might feel a little weird wearing an N95 mask while fishing.
LRHF
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

The smoke and fires have been absolutely brutal here in Southern Oregon. From my back yard...

Have actually heard good reports since it keeps the sun off the water. Just might feel a little weird wearing an N95 mask while fishing.

This is why we left eastern WA and moved to Livingston, MT. While better on the lungs, still looks pretty bad.
rather be fishing
AG
Drove down to St. Regis with one of the guys biologists I work with to see if we could find a BWO hatch. Wasn't spectacular, but did end up with one nice cutthroat and a chunk whitefish I didn't get a picture of.

https://instagr.am/p/CFV3dW0lS_0
TKEAg04
AG
That's a pig cutthroat!
LRHF
AG
Gallatin! We are spending some time with friends in Bozeman but had a chance to spend a little time on the river. This guy took a small streamer, can't wait to start throwing some bigger flies for big fish!
LRHF
AG
Spending a few days fishing the Henry's Fork. Wife caught a nice fish the other night. The fish took a BWO then took off. After a few minutes, she worked him in close and the fish took off again this time into the weeds. She chased it down and didn't feel anymore wiggles. She tried to get closer and pull out of the weeds but the water was too high and she almost took a swim. She decided to back up and "point and pull". Expecting to lose the fly, she was surprised when the fish was coaxed out! She landed the now tired fish and I came Over to take a picture.

Beyond the amazing fishing, the sunsets are unbelievable. Lots of wildlife from moose, ducks, deer and Ospreys!

rather be fishing
AG
Goog looking rainbow. Henry's Fork is high on my bucket list.

Where are you guys planning to winter?
LRHF
AG
rather be fishing said:

Have a redfish trip with a friend the first weekend in November (Biloxi Marsh). Maybe look for work November- January? Part of this trip has been to find out where to live next, Bozeman is high on our list!
TKEAg04
AG
Spent last Sunday afternoon with my boys on the south fork of the Boise. Lost a really nice rainbow on a zebra midge about 5 feet from me. Other than that a few small takes but nothing in the net!

rather be fishing
AG
LRHF said:

rather be fishing said:

Have a redfish trip with a friend the first weekend in November (Biloxi Marsh). Maybe look for work November- January? Part of this trip has been to find out where to live next, Bozeman is high on our list!
What industry are you looking in? Have friends in/from Bozeman area.
LRHF
AG
rather be fishing said:

LRHF said:

rather be fishing said:

What industry are you looking in? Have friends in/from Bozeman area.

Have spent over 20 years in upstream oil and gas. If we move to the Bozeman area, likely a 2nd career type of job.
h1ag
AG
Caught my first fish on a fly yesterday evening. 5" bluegill on a #10 olive jig bugger at a local reservoir. I was so excited, it took me about a minute to unhook him. If my lesson last weekend got me interested in this hobby, that fish set the hook.

And of course, next back cast went into a tree, and I lost the fly...

I was worried that fly fishing was going to turn out like surfing -- one lesson made it seem straight forward and manageable but I had no idea what I was doing when I went out by myself. Tying knots, managing line, choosing etc. ended up being surprisingly nice. I really enjoyed the process of walking down the trail by myself with my gear, getting all set up, and dialing in for a couple of hours after work.

rather be fishing
AG
The more you do it, the better it gets. You're always going to pop flies off in trees or tall grass though. That's just part of it.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Great fishing this morning! Got into a pod of what they call "half pounders" out here in Southern Oregon/Northern Cali
The biggest was around 2 lbs ish but they fight like hell!

This was the smallest. But these small ones sure are pretty

LRHF
AG
White Fish Lives Matter!
BullSprig07
AG
First trout on the fly just outside Sheridan, Wy on Piney Creek. Booked with Rock Creek Anglers and it was a great experience. The next day my dad shot a mule deer and now we're at a cabin in Alcova, Wy and going to try and fish the North Platte diy tomorrow.
rather be fishing
AG
Fishing sucked this evening, but lots of four legged critters running around. Plus one brown.

https://instagr.am/p/CGYz1czFpHB
LRHF
AG
Had a nice afternoon on the Middle Provo. Caught a nice brown on a streamer! Spent the last few days fishing small Baetis patterns (sz 22-24) then decided on a winning strategy . Caught fish on the small flies but the crowds and small fish forced an alternative strategy.

LRHF
Ayto Siks
The trout and mountains are great to see on this thread, but I like hot and humid.

Hit the road early this morning and drove east in search of peacock bass. Stopped and whipped flies at several spots before finally finding some...over 100 miles later.

The first one was small, but beautiful. It was also a huge relief since I convinced a friend to tag along and the previous hours of driving were total busts.

A bright clouser worked on a few more, and luckily the fish kept getting bigger.

The water was stained, but still clear enough to see largemouth bass, peas, oscars, and cichlids in the shallows.

My friend caught several on an Everglades Special,
and ended up with the nicest fish of the day. Nothing super big, but the fish were aggressive and gorgeous. And warm!

LRHF
AG
Eleven Mile Reservoir/ S. Platte River

Crazy day! With some intel from a friend, left camp in the dark and drove to a parking lot on the "Dream Stream". It was 24 F outside but at least the wind wasn't blowing.

Was the first person on the river and immediately came across Kokanee Salmon migrating up the river. Caught and release 2 fish before the sun came up.

Caught so many salmon, walked upstream to catch some big browns for 4 hours (at least that's what I thought might happen!).

After catching one small brown, went back and caught a couple more Kokanee before heading to the trailer to drink some beer.

rather be fishing
AG
Got a new toy to play around with next year.

MAROON
AG
Fun float on the French Broad River in NC. today. Six or seven rainbow and a couple of browns. But the views were the. best part of the day

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
docb
AG
Yampa River this past Sunday

Stringfellow Hawke
AG
What gear are you wearing? Gloves? Ever feel cold?
docb
AG
I'd take the gloves off to take a picture so I would not get them wet. Yea it was a little cold on the hands. Just have to take a hand break every so often. But the fish were biting really well. I caught over 20 on a streamer alone not counting several fish on nymphs. Temperature was not the bad part. The snow was just a wet snow.
docb
AG
Monday fish

AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
docb
AG
Nice!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.