Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,844 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks, LRHF.

Can I just tie 24" (or less?) of 3x tippet onto my 9' 1x leader? Or even cut back 1' of my leader and then tie on 24" of 3x?
LRHF
AG
I would definitely cut off the last 12" and discard on an extruded leader, not worth losing a whole nymph rig breaking off.

I just tied 1x to 3x and the triple surgeon knot looks fine. I wouldn't hesitate to do this in the field if it was my last leader but, I wouldn't start off the day doing this. If you need 3 and 4x for the flies, I would start with a tapered 3x leader. If you need 5 and 6x, I would start with a tapered 5x leader (again cutting off the last 12" and replacing with quality tippet.

You can add as much tippet as you want when tying your first knot but it will make your overall leader length longer. Not a bad thing per se but if too long, may become difficult to cast.

Good luck!

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Thanks again. Sounds like I need to pick up a bunch of different sizes of leaders. Been getting Rio Powerflex mostly.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Finally popped my Oregon Fly Fishing cherry.
Beautiful morning on the Rogue.

Saw these guys on the way to the spot, about 15 mins from my house.

Fished for about an hour and didn't have much success. Even had a ****ty cast that forced me to cut off my bottom fly and retie. Was getting frustrated about the prospect of another skunk.

Finally made a good cast and a couple of good mends on my nymph set up to get a good drift and hooked this 18" Rainbow. Pretty cool that my first one is a wild/native!

rather be fishing
AG
Beautiful day to be out on the river.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
rather be fishing said:

Beautiful day to be out on the river.
No doubt. Was shocked not to see anyone out there.
LRHF
AG
Nice work Lt and beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing, posts like this give us something to look forward to! Cool way to start tour day of fishing seeing a small herd of elk on the way to your local trout river.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Need a fishing buddy??
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
brs4688 said:

Need a fishing buddy??

I'm pretty green obviously, but if you're ever in the area, let me know!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Finally got some proper fishing waders so I don't look like a redneck in the water with my duck hunting waders.

Wound up with the Korkers Dark Horse boots and the Orvis Encounter waders. The Encounters are apparently the old version of the Clearwaters, but are less than $100, which I feel pretty good about. I might see about getting some Simms for next season, but these will do for now.

https://m.orvis.com/product/mens-encounter-waders/0H1R
ccard257
AG
That's one hell of a first fish!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Made it out again this morning before work but wanted to try dry flies. Went 0/3 on hook sets!
Oh well, bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office and all that..

I did find that it is a hell of a lot easier to cast a dry fly than a nymph rig. Can't wait for the salmon fly hatch in a few weeks.
rather be fishing
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Made it out again this morning before work but wanted to try dry flies. Went 0/3 on hook sets!

I did find that it is a hell of a lot easier to cast a dry fly than a nymph rig. Can't wait for the salmon fly hatch in a few weeks.
Casting a dry fly will let you really appreciate how smooth a rod can be. Especially after you've been flinging nymphs for a while.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
rather be fishing said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Casting a dry fly will let you really appreciate how smooth a rod can be. Especially after you've been flinging nymphs for a while.

No joke. Felt good to come to the end of the stripped line and hear that click of a little more line coming out of the reel. It make me understand what people talk about when they say that you're casting the line not the fly.
Casting a nymph feels like make a lob cast.
Hudson2508
AG
Anyone know if the local Orvis stores will replace tip sections? Lost my tip to the screen door today while trying to keep an eye on a toddler. Sad thing was I hadn't fished the rod in over a year and was walking out to make some practice casts.
rather be fishing
AG
Hudson2508 said:

Anyone know if the local Orvis stores will replace tip sections? Lost my tip to the screen door today while trying to keep an eye on a toddler. Sad thing was I hadn't fished the rod in over a year and was walking out to make some practice casts.

Almost certain you're going to have to mail the entire rod in. Might be able to call and purchase just a tip section.
Duncan Idaho
rather be fishing said:

Hudson2508 said:

Almost certain you're going to have to mail the entire rod in. Might be able to call and purchase just a tip section.

Speaking from experience you have to mail the rod in with a warranty claim and $35.
Hudson2508
AG
Ugh....thanks for the heads up. The good news is I never fish this rod.

I might just try to order a tip section to replace it.

Got all fired up to cast it on the lake today and had a fly ready for trying to catch a carp. Had to settle for the 5WT and some sun fish.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Rather be fishing... not sure if you listen to the Orvis Fly Fishing podcast or not but last week's episode is about fishing in Libby, MT. I think that's pretty close to where you are.
rather be fishing
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Rather be fishing... not sure if you listen to the Orvis Fly Fishing podcast or not but last week's episode is about fishing in Libby, MT. I think that's pretty close to where you are.

I haven't listened to that podcast in while, but I will doesn't that episode. I'm about an hour south of Libby. Thanks for the heads up.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Anyone have any sling or vest recs? Not looking to break the bank.
Hamburger Dan
I fell head first into fly fishing about four years ago. I try to buy equipment that will last and also has a very good warranty. I got a Patagonia sling pack when I first started. Plenty of room, durable has hell, light and looks good.
I think this model was approx $125. I use it approximately 25-40 times a year for fly fishing in Northern New Mexico.
I'll use it occasionally (12-15 times a year)for bass fishing here in TX
ccard257
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I've got a fishpond sling pack that want terrible and I like a lot. Don't get a vest.
rather be fishing
AG
I have a Fishpond vest that I like, but sometimes wish I had a sling pack or hip pack.
TarponChaser
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Define "break the bank"

In my experience there's really nothing in between an inexpensive Academy/Bass Pro sling pack and your FishPond/Simms/Patagonia. I bought a $25'ish sling from Academy to see how I liked them and it's decent enough. But inside a year I upgraded to the FishPond Thunderhead submersible sling pack and it's pretty awesome but at full retail it's $230- I got the previous year model on closeout for like $150.
agfan2013
AG
Have had a fly rod for awhile and finally took it out a few times during the quarantine and have now caught two bass from some farm tanks. Tons of fun.

Thumbs down for my dog chewing the rod in half on the drive back a week ago so now I've got to replace that. At least it was a cheap cabelas one which I'll probably buy again so only 60 bucks.
rather be fishing
AG
agfan2013 said:

Have had a fly rod for awhile and finally took it out a few times during the quarantine and have now caught two bass from some farm tanks. Tons of fun.

Thumbs down for my dog chewing the rod in half on the drive back a week ago so now I've got to replace that. At least it was a cheap cabelas one which I'll probably buy again so only 60 bucks.

You should look into TFO. A step up in price, but reasonably priced rods, fantastic warranty. Mail the rod back with a check for $30 and they'll send you a new rod.
Mr. Frodo
AG
Lt Joe I have a never used xxl or xl Patagonia vest Ill make you a deal on.

Excellent design but i knew right away i was a pack guy.

Gift from the wife early on in the fly fishing journey.

Might work out well in a kayak.

Email me at gfw3 at mac dot com.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Mr. Frodo said:

Lt Joe I have a never used xxl or xl Patagonia vest Ill make you a deal on.

Excellent design but i knew right away i was a pack guy.

Gift from the wife early on in the fly fishing journey.

Might work out well in a kayak.

Email me at gfw3 at mac dot com.

Thanks Frodo, but I think that might be a little big for me. I really appreciate it though!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Been pretty busy with work so I haven't made it out in a while. Had a chance to hit the water for an hour this morning and hooked two on a dry fly. Sorry for the crappy pic, need to get a net since I fish solo most of the time, making pictures tough.

Actually caught another one about 5 mins later. Got an urgent work email I needed to respond to while my fly was in the water. Left it out there while typing and had a little 10" rainbow take a bite and get hooked. Pleasant surprise. Not sure if that's a legitimate fishing strategy?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Man I gotta work on my hook setting technique. Went 0/5 this morning. All of them I had on for at least a second or two. I'm fishing barbless, so that could be the issue?
TarponChaser
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Man I gotta work on my hook setting technique. Went 0/5 this morning. All of them I had on for at least a second or two. I'm fishing barbless, so that could be the issue?

Ordinarily I'd say "DON'T TROUT SET!"

But it looks like you actually are trout fishing and should trout set. So, I got nuthin'...
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
TarponChaser said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Ordinarily I'd say "DON'T TROUT SET!"

But it looks like you actually are trout fishing and should trout set. So, I got nuthin'...

Yeah, so a couple of weeks ago I missed 3 because I was setting the hook like I would on a bass. I backed off quite a bit, but now I think I did it too little. Either that or I'm losing them on the fight.
rather be fishing
AG
Montana general season opens Saturday, so I get to fish closer to the house now.
LRHF
AG
Here's a couple of thoughts-

*small fish? Sometimes small fish will hit a fly really fast then spit the hook. Minimize slack in the system to help set the fly quickly.

*Angler set too fast- if the takes are from bigger fish, you may need to slow down and let the fish get its mouth around the fly then start going back down before you raise to tension. In other words, you may be ripping the fly out of the fish's mouth.

*Angle- with the above in mind, are you casting to fish upstream or downstream? If casting downstream to rising fish, need to give them an extra moment before settling the hook.

Likely a mix of issues, sometimes it's just part of fishing.

Tight lines!
LRHF

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.