Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

123,009 Views | 904 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by AgFlyGuy
Reel Aggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From this morning.... Tied my first clouser style fly, caught a fish, then promptly got it hung in an underwater tree branch..... Swam in the river this evening and rescued it though

ccard257
AG
Anyone ever done any fishing near hot springs, AR? We're headed that way in mid august and I might be able to sneak a morning in somewhere. Not picky on species and open to a guide but OK solo too. I haven't been up there since I was in middle school so I really have no clue where to start.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
I recently started fly fishing. I've been catching a lot of bass on the Guadalupe off of poppers and spiders, including this red eye bass, which I hadn't seen out here before.

rgarza35
AG
Little Missouri Fly Fishing

Some friends have fished with Jeff before and had a great time.
Oruc Reis
AG
Nice fish, I believe the first one is a warmouth
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
Nice fish, I believe the first one is a warmouth

Huh, I think you're right. I hadn't seen or heard of those before.
Oruc Reis
AG
similar to a green sunfish or rock bass, fun little fish to catch especially on the fly.
ccard257
AG
Spent a little time at the vice this week. Barr's Meat Whistles.

Hhilton82
AG
quote:
Anyone ever done any fishing near hot springs, AR? We're headed that way in mid august and I might be able to sneak a morning in somewhere. Not picky on species and open to a guide but OK solo too. I haven't been up there since I was in middle school so I really have no clue where to start.

I went with a guide (Wendel Hise) from Glenwood AK a looooong time ago. 2 day float trip for smallies. Very cool trip. Knowledgeable guy.
We fished the Caddo River. Camped one night.
Centerpole90
AG
Anybody catch Flylords (theflylords) snapchat story yesterday?

Hello ladies!!

Get to it quick, they'll be disappearing soon and it looks like today is going to be a couple hairy legs on salt water @ San Jose Island.
RepublicBrand
AG
We are almost done producing a video that we made with a guide in West Yellowstone. He also guides in Argentina. I will post the link. We love to fly fish but honestly never have in Texas. We have the San Juan (NM), the Madison (WY), the Frying Pan (CO).
AggieArcher17
AG
quote:
Anybody catch Flylords (theflylords) snapchat story yesterday?

Hello ladies!!

Get to it quick, they'll be disappearing soon and it looks like today is going to be a couple hairy legs on salt water @ San Jose Island.

Saw it. I need one of those.
AggieArcher17
AG
Gonna go play on the Llano this weekend around Mason. Any recommendations on crossings to try and/or flies besides the usual stuff?
Centerpole90
AG
I think AnkonaNoah is sucking bad gas today. They started off several posts and were hooked up @ daybreak. Then..

Crickets.
76Ag
AG
Great pics but you guys that get to fish really tick me off......
AggieArcher17
AG

Lots of new fish for me around CStat lately. Caught my first gar ever followed by 2 more last weekend as well but didn't get any good pictures. Catfish was on my 3 weight!
Kalebcs
Well done! How are you getting the Buffalo to eat? I've only fed one and i may have flossed him. I pretty much casted a wooly bugger into his mouth. I've found them to be 10 times more difficult than carp.
AggieArcher17
AG
Ha! Thats funny its been the exact opposite for me. I can't get a carp to eat to save my life! With the buffalo its pretty much been sight casting in front of a feeding or cruising fish just like a carp, 90% of the time they ignore it but sometimes they whack it like a bass, its weird! I one on a shminnow and the other on a 6" long gar fly
AggieArcher17
AG
Pretty poor quality pics, in the gar one as you can tell it was extremely muddy. And in the buffalo pic I caught him on my 5 weight, it took over 10 minutes to land him and I had basically zero control over where he went, my forearms were shaking as I tried to take the picture.... Hooked into one double his size and thought I was hung on the bottom, I couldn't budge him unless he wanted me to, but alas I did not land that one

Edit: the one pictured weighed 9 lbs on my scale!

rgarza35
AG
Can anyone recommend a good wading staff? or ones to stay away from?
Reel Aggies
AG
My first CO trout in a tiny stream in RM NP

Headed to aspen and vail area over next 5 days so will try to hit up some areas around there.

Edit: pics not working. Image hosting i normally use is down for some reason. Will add lter
AGricola08
AG
LRHF
AG
Go fish the Frying Pan!
Reel Aggies
AG
I did fish the Frying Pan, I hit the toilet bowl (caught one tiny trout), and a couple spots farther down river (caught two more tiny trout). Fished the Roaring Fork and got skunked, went way up towards the headwaters of Roaring Fork and caught another couple of small trout up towards I-pass. I got skunked on the Eagle as well at Minturn.

Image from earlier post I couldn't upload....

mneisch
AG
Biggest fish ever on a fly this morning. 22.5" spawning brown. Fishing on the Yampa outside Steamboat Springs.

ccard257
AG
nice!
normaleagle05
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

Is this a very large spotted gar or could this be a hybrid alligator/longnose caught on the fly? Fish seems large for a spotted but the nose is too triangular for a longnose.

That's a hell of a rare fly catch if it's a hybrid.
Sublette County
AG
I think the camera angle makes it look bigger than it is. The fish stretches from the butt of the rod to the stripper guide, which should be about 30 or 32 inches. That's a reasonable size for a large adult spotted gar.
AGricola08
AG
Couple nice trips in Vermont. Top is a nice rainbow, the bottom is a pretty good land locked Atlantic salmon. Unfortunately they have been in a drought up there so the rivers were really low and most of the big fish were still staged out in the lakes.

AGricola08
AG
Hit the Red river this past weekend and caught some nice stripers..... mostly on clousers. Bottom pic is of a fish I could not identify at first... had a mouth full of teeth, which threw me off. After some research, it turns out to be a Gold Eye. Apparently they (and a related species called a Moon Eye) are not that common in the south, much more so up north. Anyway, was a cool by-catch.

rgarza35
AG
I went to Beaver's Bend State Park near Broken Bow, OK on Friday and Saturday. I fished with Mrs. 87 Flyfisher. She started the day by asking what I wanted to accomplish on this trip. She took the time to help me improve my roll and traditional casts for distance and accuracy. As a novice freshwater fly fisherman, she took the time to teach me various techniques using ; streamers, nymphs, dry flies and the variations within those groups. The first day we went for quantity of fish. I caught in excess of 40 rainbows ranging from 6 to 14 inches. The second day we we went for quality of fish. I hooked several in excess of 18 inches, but never got them to the net. That's why is called fishing, not catching.

It was a great experience and value at that price point. I highly recommend her as a guide. I will be returning with clients and friends. A few pics;

The River In December

3 does and a small buck cross the river less than 200 feet from us.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Nice pics!
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.