Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,849 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stonfo has a good reputation for vises, but I wouldn't spend that much money on a vise that isn't true rotary. You can get a Peak rotary brand new for less than what they're asking for that one.
AgCWby90CS
AG
Thanks
Duncan Idaho
I have a stonfo flytec. I love it and it was great for the price, especially with all of the accessories it came with 3 sets of jaws, material clip, parachute post and both a c clamp and a pedestal base.

I got mine off eBay from Europe and I was about $200. I haven't seen these for sale in the states.

https://stonfo.com/en/p/flytec-lever-vise/

The stonfo kaiman is a nice one in the style of a regals.

https://stonfo.com/en/p/kaiman-vise/

If I we're starting out, I would probably get either a Renzetti traveler or a Peak Rotary. The are both good vises with a strong following and you should be able to get most of your money back if you decide to sell.

https://www.renzetti.com/traveler-series/

https://peakfishing.com/products/fly-tying-vises/prv-g2/
This video is worth a watch. The whole series is worth a watch.

https://www.flyfishfood.com/2019/12/learn-to-tie-flies-episode-2-best.html

AgCWby90CS
AG
Thanks for the info and links.
LRHF
AG
Caught this brown trout today on the Madison. The fishing has been pretty mediocre but this fish was a bit different. I netted the little guy and when I went to take my fly out, the first thing I saw Was a tail!? The brown trout wasn't happy with me for removing his dinner... greedy little *******!
rather be fishing
AG
Got an email from Trident Fly Fishing that said they had all of their Radians marked down 30% for clearance. If anyone is in the market, that's a great deal on an awesome rod.
Duncan Idaho
Orvis had a clearance on recons this morning. I had a 6wt in my cart but couldn't get checked out
rather be fishing
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Orvis had a clearance on recons this morning. I had a 6wt in my cart but couldn't get checked out

I've been very happy with my 6wt Radian. Went with the fighting butt and metal reel seat on it.
Duncan Idaho
I don't really have a need for a 6wt...but I did have need for $208 6wt orvis recon
rather be fishing
AG
Do any of us really have a need for any new equipment?
dr_boogs
AG
Is that clearance still active?
Duncan Idaho
No it was fast. I logged on within 15 mins of getting the email and they were down to a hand full of rods and lines.

They still have a bunch of shirts.
TKEAg04
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I don't really have a need for a 6wt...but I did have need for $208 6wt orvis recon
That's a damn good price for a Recon.
dr_boogs
AG
Bummer.
MAS444
AG
Can you guys give me a good resource to start fly fishing? I've been a few times with guides but that's it. Would love to start learning more myself but am overwhelmed about where to start. Basic equipment, rigging, etc. I'm in Houston if that helps. I appreciate any help!
rather be fishing
AG
Go to Gordy & Sons or another fly shop in the area and tell them you want to get started.

Orvis 101 classes are free and worth going to to help with your casting.

Orvis has a Learn to Fly Fish video series that is a great resource, pretty sure they are all on Prime Video.

First question is to determine what you're going to be targeting the most (trout, bass, redfish?). That'll steer you whichever direction as far as equipment goes.
dr_boogs
AG
NVM - missed the Gordy and Sons ref above.
AgFlyGuy
AG
rather be fishing said:

Got an email from Trident Fly Fishing that said they had all of their Radians marked down 30% for clearance. If anyone is in the market, that's a great deal on an awesome rod.
Went to BCA in Houston and snagged the last 6wt they had for 45% off. I need another rod like a hole in my head, but too good to pass.
LRHF
AG
AgFlyGuy said:

rather be fishing said:

Went to BCA in Houston and snagged the last 6wt they had for 45% off. I need another rod like a hole in my head, but too good to pass.

Nice deal! I would have fought you for this rod if we were currently in Houston
rather be fishing
AG
AgFlyGuy said:

rather be fishing said:

Nice! Did it have the wood seat or metal with fighting butt?
MAROON
AG
A couple more and I can have a fish stick! Ha - was a nice day in Western Carolina though
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Wood seat, no fighting butt(although that's what I would prefer). Something about not setting my $1k+ set up down on the rocks makes it hard not to have one, but deal was too good.
rather be fishing
AG
AgFlyGuy said:

Wood seat, no fighting butt(although that's what I would prefer). Something about not setting my $1k+ set up down on the rocks makes it hard not to have one, but deal was too good.

Yep, I figured the butt would keep me from tearing mine up as quick. But you can't pass up that deal. You'll enjoy that rod a lot.
AggieChemist
AG
LRHF
AG
We recently spent a few days on Rock Creek! The fishing was really good and the weather was close to perfect.

We are now in Spokane doing some bike riding and seeing friends. Wanted to head towards the coast then work down towards northern Cali but a bit concerned about the fires and smoke. Any recommendations from this board? Would be fun to visit Yosemite and Sequoia.
Badace52
AG
Decided to hit up some panfish on fly. Also tried to top water some bass, but they weren't having it.

Switched to a black rooster tail and caught about six crappie with some keepers and a gaspergou...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rather be fishing
AG
Did yall stick to 90 going west?

If it were me, I'd probably head over to the Cascades and onto the Olympic Peninsula.
LRHF
AG
rather be fishing said:

Did yall stick to 90 going west?

If it were me, I'd probably head over to the Cascades and onto the Olympic Peninsula.

It's sound advice and exactly what I want To do. The fires/ smoke looks awful. May have to head back through Montana.
rather be fishing
AG
It blew in thick today. Really hope we get rain or a wind shift soon.

https://instagr.am/p/CFDwFmklu-1
BullSprig07
AG
A recent lunch break panfish one a popper. If you can ignore the hypodermic needles and shopping carts white oak bayou is actually pretty nice
AG81xx
AG
Today on the Bighorn out of Fort Smith, Montana
rather be fishing
AG
AG81xx said:

Today on the Bighorn out of Fort Smith, Montana

Awesome fish
AG81xx
AG
My buddy and I caught at least 10 over 18 inches driftboating a 9 mile stretch. Great day.
LRHF
AG
AG81xx said:

My buddy and I caught at least 10 over 18 inches driftboating a 9 mile stretch. Great day.

Badass day on the river!
LRHF
AG
We decided to head to Livingston, MT. Unfortunately, noticed the refrigerator wasn't working yesterday afternoon in Missoula. After many calls and a few hours in a dealer parking lot, finally got some help and quick repair! Checked the refrigerator in Bozeman before we bought groceries and the thermal fuse was burned out again. Hope we can get some help in Bozeman tomorrow but the nearest dealer is in Billings. Just want to go catch some fish! On a lighter note, we camped in a truck stop last night and Wal-Mart tonight, the people watching is interesting

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.