Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

123,013 Views | 904 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by AgFlyGuy
LRHF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
h1ag said:

I tried a wooly bugger and an Adams parachute, but those had a lot going on and kind of got away from me. I went back to nymphs this afternoon, and I'm having good luck with those. Each one I have done has added in just a little extra to work on. Getting the right amount of dubbing is proving to be difficult for me though.

Your profile shows you are in the NE? The Adam's is a tough tie at this point. Stick with the bugger, it's a great fly and after a few you will gain some confidence! You finding good videos to watch to help? There are some true professionals floating around this board and some enthusiasts like myself that are happy to help.
docb
AG
Nice Yampa 24" rainbow
TresPuertas
AG
Took my first run at river fishing today. It was neat

rather be fishing
AG
Caught a new PB trout yesterday, unfortunately fumbled it and didn't get a picture.

Had to make a trip down towards Thompson Falls, and the river down there is the only one open for fishing this time of year, so I threw all my gear in the truck. Unfortunately I didn't grab a reel. So I swung by a coworkers house on the way and borrowed a reel from him. Threw a muddler sculpin with a prince nymph trailing. The reel was brand new, so I was doing my damndest not to put it down on the rocks. So trying to one hand a 20"+ rainbow didn't work out to well, but really glad everything worked out the way it did.
Badace52
AG
Anyone here ever fished the Gold Medal Waters by South Fork, CO in winter. Thinking about trying it on Tuesday.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ikanizer
AG
Its almost completely frozen over.
Badace52
AG
Got a nice brown on a streamer in some open water on the Rio...

CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rather be fishing
AG
Head a good day on the Thompson. Beautiful, colored up female that was well over 20" and another 17-18" bow out of the same hole.

Badace52
AG
White bass are back...
CM
Centerpole90
AG
Sorry. I saw fly fishing. Posted in wrong water type. Good luck with the bass guys!
rather be fishing
AG
Badace52 said:

White bass are back...

Are those all legal?
Badace52
AG
Yep all over ten inches. A couple really big mammas in there that make the 10ish inchers look tiny. There are a lot of dinks moving through right now, I probably tossed back as many undersized/ just over 10 inchers as I kept legal fish. I threw back a lot of the 10ish inchers as well once I had a mess of fish.

CM
Al Bula
AG
This thread and the saltwater thread forced me to try fly fishing. Bought a $40 Martin fly kit from Dick's, and proud to say I caught a small LMB after a couple of trials. I will stick with the Martin rig til I feel competent enough to graduate to something better and pass it down to my oldest son when he is ready.

Funny thing about Covid: exactly one year ago I had two fishing rods. Today I have four. Damn virus is making rods multiply.
MAROON
AG
Had a nice morning on the Tuckaseegee in Western NC. Caught one rainbow then settled in a nice run and pulled out eight nice Brookies. Local advice - the Tuck is damn cold in March when you fall in and get water down your back and inside your waders !

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
LRHF
AG
Good morning-

Busy ignoring current events and tying flies for the summer!

Here's a sz 22 CDC loop wing emerger tied from a picture of a fly tied by Aaron Carithers (a great small fly tyer and guide).

Tied up a few dozen flies yesterday, mostly midge larvae and Griffith gnats.

Bought an Adipose drift boat a few weeks back, it is being stored by my friends at Bighorn Angler. Not sure when I'm going to pick up but looking forward to posting some pics later this summer!

rather be fishing
AG
If you had bought closer to the Idaho border, I could have broken it in for you.
TresPuertas
AG

Nothing super exciting but I was really worried all my fish in the pond were dead after the freeze. Glad to see some made it
bugslinger
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

This thread and the saltwater thread forced me to try fly fishing. Bought a $40 Martin fly kit from Dick's, and proud to say I caught a small LMB after a couple of trials. I will stick with the Martin rig til I feel competent enough to graduate to something better and pass it down to my oldest son when he is ready.

Funny thing about Covid: exactly one year ago I had two fishing rods. Today I have four. Damn virus is making rods multiply.

Had a buddy buy one of these and i cast it. Its castable, but jesus thats the clumsiest rod i've ever tried. Stepping up even to an inexpensive redington or TFO will give you an instant boost in ability.
Al Bula
AG
bugslinger said:

Had a buddy buy one of these and i cast it. Its castable, but jesus thats the clumsiest rod i've ever tried. Stepping up even to an inexpensive redington or TFO will give you an instant boost in ability.
Good to know that its not just me being a novice. For $40 I didn't expect it to be great, though I have managed to catch some LMB dinks and bluegill.

Thanks for the recommendations on next level of gear I should be checking out.
bugslinger
AG
If the "bug" has bit you with that setup, then it was $40 well spent imo.
TresPuertas
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

I had a spare Orvis Clearwater rod laying around and needed a reel so I did a little bit of research and found Bozeman Fly works and ordered one of their reels. REALLY good price and good reviews. They sell inexpensive combos that are supposedly great.

I say that knowing full well that TFO is the industry standard, but I have an NXT and I've never been a huge fan.

If you're a golfer you'll understand this analogy: Paying 40 for a rod and reel is going to frustrate you because you're only going to get $40 worth of performance and it's frustrating to learn like that. Spend a little bit more beforehand and you will have a better time
jh0400
AG
I feel like I've been overloaded for ads for Bozeman and Cheeky lately. I'm passively in the market for a cheaper reel to put on a 3 wt for nymphing. Which model Bozeman did you end up with?
Badace52
AG
jh0400 said:

I feel like I've been overloaded for ads for Bozeman and Cheeky lately. I'm passively in the market for a cheaper reel to put on a 3 wt for nymphing. Which model Bozeman did you end up with?
Same on cheeky. I don't get the Bozeman ones but I do get a lot of Moonshine adverts. They worked on me. I bought a 6 wt Moonshine rod for white bass and have really liked it so far but only been out a few times with it.
CM
TresPuertas
AG
jh0400 said:

Patriot 5/6 with full sink line.

And Instagram is a killer. I've spent so much money because of Zuckerberg's evil algorithm
Al Bula
AG
Dang it, the obsession has begun. Went into Orvis today and bought some flies. This month is 20% off so it helped hook me a little more, no pun intended.
TresPuertas
AG
It only gets worse
Al Bula
AG
TresPuertas said:

It only gets worse
oh, I've already been envisioning turning my garage workbench into a fly tying workspace.
LRHF
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

TresPuertas said:

It only gets worse
oh, I've already been envisioning turning my garage workbench into a fly tying workspace.

Think grander... stake a claim inside the house that's heated and cooled!
bugslinger
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

TresPuertas said:

It only gets worse

Yeah you've got it bad lol. Tying gets to be a whole other hobby in and of itself. Its rewarding when you catch fish on flies you tied yourself. Probably not going to be saving money rolling your own, but there are some patterns that are more cost-effective to do yourself.
jh0400
AG
TresPuertas said:

It only gets worse

I don't even bother with the store anymore. Lately I've been ordering from Orvis or Mad River by the dozen. I fish for trout a handful of days per year, and my nymph box is completely full.
Max06
AG
For those looking for a decent intro level package, check out the Orvis Encounter. The husband just picked one up after I got him hooked on fly fishing with my TFO BVK. it's a nice setup for the ~$175ish that it ran.
Duncan Idaho
If you are looking for a glass rod, sierra has some butter sticks in stock for $180
JCB01
AG
Great pictures TresPuertas, but those pictures deserve a tank top.
TresPuertas
AG
JCB01 said:

Great pictures TresPuertas, but those pictures deserve a tank top.

You're right. Sleeves are for nerds.
rather be fishing
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

If you are looking for a glass rod, sierra has some butter sticks in stock for $180

I have a 1960s Fenwick 8.5' 6wt that I keep thinking I want to sell because I never use it, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. That thing is a helluva bass rod.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.