Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,867 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

rather be fishing said:

These loon forceps are my favorite: https://www.amazon.com/Loon-Outdoors-Rogue-Quick-Forcep/dp/B01KKUKKUY/ref=asc_df_B01KKUKKUY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312125955110&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10410947483806659624&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021423&hvtargid=pla-525688727730&psc=1

They're lightweight, have a build in carabiner style clip, scissor edge, and a poker for clearing glue out of the hook eye.

Fyi

https://www.sierra.com/loon-outdoors-iconic-tool-kit~p~68ppu/

They also have a bunch of lamson reels in stock. At $120, the remix is probably the best deal in reels.
If I needed anything else right now, I'd definitely throw those in the cart to have a backup. I can't justify $8 for shipping on them though.
LRHF
AG
The Animas River gave us a Toad today! Just patiently waiting my turn for a big brown
LRHF
AG
Had a big day on the San Juan River! Hosted Pauline Ellis (President) of our local Trout Unlimited chapter (5RTU) and my wife. We caught our first double of the year and Pauline landed a Toad on our last drift. Despite freezing temps at night, warmed up to 50 F.

LRHF
AG
Another great float on the San Juan River with my wife. She had a good day!!!

rather be fishing
AG
I went fishing today for the first time since the end of November. Probably 6" off mostly iced over snow on the banks, never got above freezing. My fingers still hurt. Didn't catch anything. Forgot how much nymphing sucks.

Would go again tomorrow if I could get away with it.
LRHF
AG
rather be fishing said:

I went fishing today for the first time since the end of November. Probably 6" off mostly iced over snow on the banks, never got above freezing. My fingers still hurt. Didn't catch anything. Forgot how much nymphing sucks.

You need to slip out and come visit the southern Rockies later this winter!
LRHF
AG
Winter fishing on the Juan continues to be really good!

rather be fishing
AG
LRHF said:

rather be fishing said:

You need to slip out and come visit the southern Rockies later this winter!

You keep posting pictures of huge browns and rainbows and I may find my way down there.
LRHF
AG
I'll just leave this here for y'all!!

May switch back to snowboarding for a few days after we get 2-3' of snow (hopefully) later this week.

LRHF

LRHF
AG
The weather in the Rockies is warming up and the fish are biting on the San Juan! Helped this gentleman land his best fish yet, a 22.5" rainbow. It was an extremely windy day (not often like this) with gusts to 50 mph... he wanted to fish so we met down at Float N Fish at 7 am to beat the W.

I can't be the only one fishing, let's get some more action on this thread!

LRHF

rather be fishing
AG
I'm about a month and a half out from being able to fish at the house. I will be heading over to Three Forks/Belgrade in a couple of weeks for Muster and I'm planning out a day on the Madison.

Also got asked to fish a B.A.S.S. buddy event by a friend up here who qualified for the Classic a few years ago. Looking forward to dipping my toe back into bass tournaments, which I haven't done since my Aggie Angler days.
TresPuertas
AG
couple of bed guardians. everything i caught today was sight casted and right on the edge of the grass beds. all were feisty as hell. fun day

Badace52
AG
Some fish from the Chimehuin River in Argentina caught on fly during my trip. We were exclusively using dries which I am pretty bad at. I do a lot more nymphing under indicators and streamer fishing. Caught about twenty but lost the two big browns I hooked into. One broke off at the hookset cuz I gorilla set on 6X line like an idiot. It was nice enough to leap out of the water and give me a good look at my fly before it took off. The other ran up into some brush despite my best efforts to turn it. It came within a foot of me as it ran downstream like a rocket.

I also caught the smallest fish in Argentina...

I did catch a few good browns and rainbows later on spinning tackle with my brother.

CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LRHF
AG
I officially have a fly fishing guide business, "LRHF On The Fly" legally exists in CO! No website etc for a while. I am currently focused on the San Juan River in New Mexico. Just needed to share the exciting news and figured this thread was a good place.

A few days ago, I saw this Osprey fishing nearby. Enjoy the photo sequence!

LRHF
AG
Spent a couple of days fishing the High Country in the last week. San Juan Cutthroat live in beautiful places! This is the East Fork of Hermosa Creek. Average fish in the stream max out around 6" but these guys were caught in some deep pools.

LRHF

rather be fishing
AG
Congrats! I'm going to have to get on your books sometime.

My home water opens on Saturday and I'm really itching to get down in the evenings to catch some fish. I've been seeing a fair amount of BWOs and should be a few stoneflies, not to mention mosquito season is ramping up.
rather be fishing
AG
Will be pulling into Dillon around 9 tonight. Spending the next few days on the Beaverhead.
docb
AG
May 30th on the Yampa. It was a nice reprieve from the Texas heat.

rather be fishing
AG
Nice morning session

LRHF
AG
Oh boy- something pretty cool is about to happen!! It's going to be a few days until I'm back on the grid. This adventure is inspired by our friend Cupofjoe... I learned about this place while reading TA in a parking garage in downtown Houston. Going to be a solo backcountry adventure since my wife is down with a slight case of the rona.

LRHF
LRHF
AG
Elk Creek- Inspired by Cupofjoe

A few years back, I was Checking TA in a parking garage in downtown Houston before work. Joey had made the trek to Elk Creek and was proposing an Aggie trip! I sent him a note lamenting by inability to attend but put this place on my mental list of places to fish soon!

Fast forward a few years, we now live in Durango and had this trip on our calendar for about 6 weeks. Wife contracted a mild case of the rona and couldn't attend- solo it is!

Elk creek is a beautiful meandering stream in south central Colorado. I fished the upper half of the 2nd meadow and caught a bunch of feisty browns! The fish weren't picky but occasionally would refuse a fly bit a simple switch to a deer hair beetle would get them.

Fished the stream by stalking upstream very slowly and looking for happy fish. Occasionally would throw a dry fly as I approached the bank and caught a couple blind (couldn't see the fish or the eat).

I brought a 8' 6" four weight rod and happy to have the extra power to keep the fish from running under the cut banks. Broke two in a row off despite having 4x tippet on the hook set, they were a little bigger- 18 or 19"?

Came across a nice gentleman from Victoria, TX with a broke frac truck near the TH parking lot. Ran him down the road about 20" so we could get cell reception to call the maintenance team. Armed with info, we fixed the truck and got him down the road to help Make America Great Again!

I can't wait for the next trip, plan to hit the 3rd and 4th meadows next time.

Oh yea- spotted a 5 lb brown on the way out but I'm going to be tight lipped on his location. He chased a small elk hair stimulator about 4' but didn't eat then a rain/hail storm started and it was time to leave!

LRHF

PA24
AG
LRHF said:

Elk Creek- Inspired by Cupofjoe

A few years back, I was Checking TA in a parking garage in downtown Houston before work. Joey had made the trek to Elk Creek and was proposing an Aggie trip! I sent him a note lamenting by inability to attend but put this place on my mental list of places to fish soon!

Fast forward a few years, we now live in Durango and had this trip on our calendar for about 6 weeks. Wife contracted a mild case of the rona and couldn't attend- solo it is!

Elk creek is a beautiful meandering stream in south central Colorado. I fished the upper half of the 2nd meadow and caught a bunch of feisty browns! The fish weren't picky but occasionally would refuse a fly bit a simple switch to a deer hair beetle would get them.

Fished the stream by stalking upstream very slowly and looking for happy fish. Occasionally would throw a dry fly as I approached the bank and caught a couple blind (couldn't see the fish or the eat).

I brought a 8' 6" four weight rod and happy to have the extra power to keep the fish from running under the cut banks. Broke two in a row off despite having 4x tippet on the hook set, they were a little bigger- 18 or 19"?

Came across a nice gentleman from Victoria, TX with a broke frac truck near the TH parking lot. Ran him down the road about 20" so we could get cell reception to call the maintenance team. Armed with info, we fixed the truck and got him down the road to help Make America Great Again!

I can't wait for the next trip, plan to hit the 3rd and 4th meadows next time.

Oh yea- spotted a 5 lb brown on the way out but I'm going to be tight lipped on his location. He chased a small elk hair stimulator about 4' but didn't eat then a rain/hail storm started and it was time to leave!

LRHF

I worked for Halliburton a couple of times in my career. Our motto:
We don't care if it rains or sleets, we be there as soon as we eat.
FunkyTownAg
AG
Did you fish the Conejos at all? If so, was the lower section pretty good this time of year? I fished the Conejos a few years ago and it was awesome and I really want to go back. However, I fished it mid August and had to drive all the way to Platero which was awesome but I would really like to fish the lower portions next time I go. Looks awesome!
LRHF
AG
FunkyTownAg said:

Did you fish the Conejos at all? If so, was the lower section pretty good this time of year? I fished the Conejos a few years ago and it was awesome and I really want to go back. However, I fished it mid August and had to drive all the way to Platero which was awesome but I would really like to fish the lower portions next time I go. Looks awesome!

I didn't have time for the conejos on this trip.
FunkyTownAg
AG
Sorry to rub it in then!
TresPuertas
AG
took a late june trip up to Grand Lake CO and managed to sneak in a day on the Colorado River. Nothing spectacular but fun as hell nonetheless. Any day on the river is a good day

mandevilleag
Nice fish, but the shirt is even cooler.
LRHF
AG
Another amazing day in the mtns! I do This damn near every day but can't help posting some of these amazing pics!!!

LRHF

LRHF
AG
San Juan River- night float!

Pulled off a night mission with some friends. We fished Texas hole until dark then pushed downstream. Got off the water around 2:30 am.

Our goal was to use streamers and move to catch a large brown. We had around 10 eats but missed most of them.

Definitely ready to do this again soon!

LRHF

https://instagram.com/stories/cory_aka_lrhf/2905824818615466734?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

87Flyfisher
AG
Hopper bite has been great the last couple of weeks on the White and Norfork Rivers.
87Flyfisher
AG
The Norfork River was very generous today.

cupofjoe04
AG
LRHF said:

Pulled off a night mission with some friends. We fished Texas hole until dark then pushed downstream. Got off the water around 2:30 am.

Our goal was to use streamers and move to catch a large brown. We had around 10 eats but missed most of them.

LRHF

https://instagram.com/stories/cory_aka_lrhf/2905824818615466734?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

That's pretty awesome! Was it you that was telling be about plopping giant mouse patterns over cut banks at night? Maybe my memory fails me and that is a terrible idea…
LRHF
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

LRHF said:

LRHF

That's pretty awesome! Was it you that was telling be about plopping giant mouse patterns over cut banks at night? Maybe my memory fails me and that is a terrible idea…

Could have been! We used to travel to southern Chile and do this on spring creeks.
Live_Flyway_Action
My wife and I were fishing with a guide on the Provo outside of Park City and he was telling us about doing the same thing. Throwing big mouse patterns for monster browns at night. Sounded fun
LRHF
AG
Had my wife and mom on the boat this am for a couple of hours before a client trip this afternoon. Was a little slow but wife picked up a nice bow!

Really enjoy fishing the Juan in the winter months!

LRHF

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.