Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,854 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
Hudson2508
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know of a for rent cabin in New Mexico that has walkable trout fishing near it? Looking to escape for a week and get some fishing done at the same time. I've never fished the state so a bit clueless looking for a place to stay. We normally head all the way up to the Gunnison but probably not making that happen this year. I prefer small streams to rivers and love hiking if that helps with my question.
rather be fishing
AG
I fished for a few hours Saturday. Hooked up on one cutthroat. Got it up on the bank and was trying to get down to it when it came off and fell back in the water. Fingers touched it, so I'm going to count it.

Was around 14-15".

Also, redfish crack flies apparently work for sculpin streamers.
LRHF
AG
The Saudis/ Russians and Chinese have helped me to clear my summer calendar. Get ready for some fun fishing trip updates throughout the summer! Have a few weeks before we take off... need to bulletproof my 2003 6.0 Diesel engine, buy a camper and organize all of this stuff. Looks like first stop will be to see an old friend in a Chama, NM. Pagosa, Durango, Taylor Reservoir (order tbd) would be the next stops. Some time in SLC is mandatory for family time. A stop in Sun Valley has been in the books. Looking forward to spending a week around Island Park, ID. We could then migrate through Montana and land in Spokane. "So many activities". Other possible stops- Green River (UT), So. Platte (Eleven Mile, Spinny "Dream Stream"), Bighorn... endless.

Depending on how things go, may be time to harass the Saltwater Forum in October!

Depending on schedules, would be fun to meet a few of the regular posters on this forum.

LRHF
rather be fishing
AG
LRHF said:

The Saudis/ Russians and Chinese have helped me to clear my summer calendar. Get ready for some fun fishing trip updates throughout the summer! Have a few weeks before we take off... need to bulletproof my 2003 6.0 Diesel engine, buy a camper and organize all of this stuff. Looks like first stop will be to see an old friend in a Chama, NM. Pagosa, Durango, Taylor Reservoir (order tbd) would be the next stops. Some time in SLC is mandatory for family time. A stop in Sun Valley has been in the books. Looking forward to spending a week around Island Park, ID. We could then migrate through Montana and land in Spokane. "So many activities". Other possible stops- Green River (UT), So. Platte (Eleven Mile, Spinny "Dream Stream"), Bighorn... endless.

Depending on how things go, may be time to harass the Saltwater Forum in October!

Depending on schedules, would be fun to meet a few of the regular posters on this forum.

LRHF

If you're swinging through NW Montana, give me a shout.
Oruc Reis
AG
I'm sure there are some around Taos that fit that bill. Can't point to one in particular though. All the streams/rivers around taos have fish
cupofjoe04
AG
AggieChemist said:

My wife painted a plaque for our house numbers in brown trout colors. I think it's pretty badass.

That's awesome! I really love that

Shoot me an email if she wants to make another one for a profit. Username @ Gmail

Edit to add: I would offer to barter a cigar humidor tube, but I'm not sure your wife would accept that... ha ha!
cupofjoe04
AG

rather be fishing
AG
After today, I have to find a net. Tired of losing fish. Caught a nice fatties on Fish Creek outside Tarkio, MT today, but no pictures because my line broke after I got him into the bank and before I could get down to him.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Man. The salmonfly hatch is no joke! So fun watching these fish pop up and hit these huge dries. Ended up with 6 in 1.5 hours of fishing. Missed at least 10 more but ended up finishing 3/3. Think I started to figure out how to set the hook and keep my rod up in the air.

This **** is addicting!
Hamburger Dan
Looks great! Location?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I'm in Southern Oregon off the Rogue River, outside of Medford.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
So I'm bad with fish IDing, especially trout, is that first one a cutthroat/rainbow hybrid? They call them cut-bows here I think.
Badace52
AG
I'm not the best at salmonids, but that one looks like a pretty typical rainbow to me. Cutbows usually have less spots toward the front of the fish and their fins have white tips.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Ah that makes sense. All of the ones out here are much lighter than that one. That one seems very dark for some reason.
LRHF
AG
The truck has been bulletproofed and I think we can pick up our travel trailer tomorrow. We have a few days of family stuff then off to Chama for 4-5 days. We can post a few pics from the Chama River, Sargents on horseback and maybe some fish pics from private waters south of the quality waters on the San Juan (friend owns pasture land there, Quality Waters likely overrun with people).

CUPOFJOE-
Next stop, Pagosa Springs. Would like to swing by and pick your brain! If you don't mind, shoot me a text (720) four-2-five 6 one 3 eight. We will be in Pagosa for about a week staying at my dads place (west side of town, south of 160).
LRHF
AG
Greetings from Chama, the low will be 32 F in the morning! We will check out the Chama River this week and may run down to Blanco to fish the lower San Juan.
cupofjoe04
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

So I'm bad with fish IDing, especially trout, is that first one a cutthroat/rainbow hybrid? They call them cut-bows here I think.
Yeah, that's a big ole cuttbow. I've only ever caught browns and cuttys in that stream. But there are some rainbows lower down. Obviously they crossed somewhere along the way.
cupofjoe04
AG
LRHF said:

The truck has been bulletproofed and I think we can pick up our travel trailer tomorrow. We have a few days of family stuff then off to Chama for 4-5 days. We can post a few pics from the Chama River, Sargents on horseback and maybe some fish pics from private waters south of the quality waters on the San Juan (friend owns pasture land there, Quality Waters likely overrun with people).

CUPOFJOE-
Next stop, Pagosa Springs. Would like to swing by and pick your brain! If you don't mind, shoot me a text (720) four-2-five 6 one 3 eight. We will be in Pagosa for about a week staying at my dads place (west side of town, south of 160).
Hey man, somehow I missed this thread this week. Been hellabusy. 'm not sure if you guys are still poking around. I'll shoot out a text tomorrow and see. Appologies for missing you. Would love to meet up
LRHF
AG
We made it to Chama yesterday and set up camp.

We rode into the Sargeants Wildlife area and fished the Chama River. There was a great caddis hatch occurring but few fish were rising as we stalked the banks. We connected with a few fish.

LRHF
AG
More pics, having trouble with too many pics in a post.

The turkey had some babies with her, hard to get them in the picture since they are smaller than the grass and bushes.

LRHF
AG

We are heading down to Blanco this afternoon to check out the hatches on the lower San Juan river.
LRHF
AG
The trip to the lower San Juan River was a success. We left Chama in the afternoon and drove down to my friends place in Blanco. We rigged up while he made a trip to the store to cook burgers on the grill.

After burgers and beer we wandered down to the river for the evening caddis hatch. My wife was the first to score a nice brown.

I moved upstream and saw a pod of feeding fish about 80 yds away. Offered my elk hair caddis but no takers after 7 or 8 casts. Switched to a bigger parachute style EHC and this beautiful rainbow took the fly on the first cast! The current was swift and she took me downstream about 80 yds before I could move her into slower water to net. At this point, was using 5x but really wishing I had 3x!

My friend has a great shop and was a taxidermist in a former life. Here's a couple of pics from the shop I thought y'all might appreciate.

We drove home after the evening back to Chama. The route home passes through the Jicarilla Indian reservation and is full of deer and elk. We counted over 100 critters on the way home, it was a slow trip!

TresPuertas
AG
Personal best on the fly In my backyard pond.

Fun time of year where you can just hammer fish. None are huge but they are hitting consistently and hard.

rather be fishing
AG
Had an appointment cancel the afternoon so I was finally able to get into some dry fly action.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Good stuff
Our salmonfly hatch is winding down, but there are still some to be caught on dries.
rather be fishing
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Good stuff
Our salmonfly hatch is winding down, but there are still some to be caught on dries.

I caught everything on either an Adams or an elk hair Caddis. No takers on salmonflies, so I'm thinking they're probably finished here.

Had a little bit of a mayfly hatch going on, and I think the fish were probably super active because of recent high flows. Just found good conditions.
LRHF
AG
RBF - nice haul! That last Brown is beautiful. That stream looks pretty small, what weight rod are you using? I hope we are able to swing by later this summer!
rather be fishing
AG
LRHF said:

RBF - nice haul! That last Brown is beautiful. That stream looks pretty small, what weight rod are you using? I hope we are able to swing by later this summer!
Fished my 6wt Radian yesterday. Would have liked to play those 2 bigger fish on my 4wt, but winds were pretty stiff and I spent enough time in the bushes.

These were on the Thompson River. It's relatively small, but the biggest river around that isn't the Clark Fork.
LRHF
AG
We fished Williams Creek (near Pagosa Springs, Co) this morning. Melissa successfully landed more fish than my Dad and I combined.

Most of our fish were pickles but still a great morning wading and fishing in tight quarters.

AggieChemist
AG
Sneaky Pete eater

rather be fishing
AG
AC, I was listening to an old Orvis podcast last week and heard your call in question on the Fly Box.
MAROON
AG
great pictures. I've got a guided trip booked for next Tuesday in Western North Carolina.

Hope I can share a few pictures like this next week!

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
AggieChemist
AG
rather be fishing said:

AC, I was listening to an old Orvis podcast last week and heard your call in question on the Fly Box.
Damn, the one about legs on a pheasant tail? That had to be like seven or eight years ago.
rather be fishing
AG
Yeah, I think it was from 2013.
LRHF
AG
East Fork of Hermosa Trip Report-

Found some free time from visiting with friends and headed up to fish at Purgatory ski resort. This area is on the "Backside" and I recalled A conversation with a guy on a ski lift about 15 years ago about spooky cutthroat fish in a beautiful meandering meadow.

The fish are native Colorado River Cutthroat that were moved into this stream in the early 90's. They are really spooky but will readily eat a fly if not spooked. Each spot required a sneaky approach, sometimes a blind cast over a bank and lots of casts from your knees.

Most of the fish took a small deer hair beetle I tied up but switched to a small foam ant with hackle after loosing my fly in the brush. The wind was howling and casting into a 2-3' wide stream was super hard, spent a lot of time fixing my errors!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.