Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,847 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
LRHF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NM
LRHF
AG
Hiking trip with friends, threw in a tenkara rod!

We headed out yesterday for a 5-6 mile hike from Transfer Park (near Mancos, CO). When I know there is a stream nearby and not sure if it holds fish, I throw in a Tenkara rod just in case. Glad I did, we caught lots of these little guys.

I taught this Ag how to fly fish for trout on the Guadalupe River. She wanted in on the Fishing and caught this nice fish! These gems mostly ate bead headed nymphs.

Sorry for the rotated pics, that's now how they exist but seem to be TA load issue...
ccard257
AG
Great stuff!
chocolatelabs
AG
Awesome cutthroat
Hodor
AG
I'm really intrigued by the idea of packing a Tenkara rod on hikes! Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about them. Which one do you use/recommend?
AG
Dolores/ Telluride Part 1 TR

After sleeping in and having coffee, decided to head towards the San Miguel River near Telluride this morning. Figured I would find a spot to fish the Upper Dolores river along the way. I fished this river a few days ago downstream of the damn but nothing worth posting about.

Found a good spot with some current and deep runs... it ended up being a great spot!

LRHF
AG
Part 2

It was hard to leave great fishing on the Dolores but my goal was to check out the San Miguel near Telluride and hopefully catch some bigger fish. It's hard to roll into a new river without any info and sometimes it's a bit of a bust. Thankfully I wasn't totally skunked but location was bad, the flows high, vegetation hard to cast in and I couldn't wade about half of the location. Caught a couple and captured some scenic pics coming and going.

Had a tree reach out and snag my heavily weighted nymph rig. Was barely able to get across the Stream, climb the tree and retrieve. I tied these flies and at this point, I wouldn't have tied another nymph rig! No love for this river yet, maybe lower or later in the year?

Move day tomorrow, heading for some Forest Service lands near Creede.

MAROON
AG
Man I'm jealous. Great pics. Creede is a great spot. Brookie heaven in those high mountain streams
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
LRHF
AG
MAROON said:

Man I'm jealous. Great pics. Creede is a great spot. Brookie heaven in those high mountain streams

You have a specific stream you like? Only good to be there a couple of days the. Moving to Salida for a few days.
MAROON
AG
i have a friend who has a house there. So I've fished there a few times - haven't been in two or three years though.

Places I can remember.%A0

Rita Hondo creek that flows into Rita Hondo reservoir. We drove around the reservoir and parked where the stream flows into the lake and walked up the stream catching a lot of brookies.

Rat Creek above town on Forest Road 504 1B - you probably need four wheel drive for this. %A0You want to go here early before the thunderstorms fire up - its high up,

Rambouillet Creek where it crosses hwy 149, just past Oleo Ranch (if you are coming from Lake City) it forms a little pond by the hwy, but a few hundred yards past the pond (towards Lake City) is a dirt road you can pull off and drive back a bit then hike to the creek. Our boys caught limits of brookies for the fryer one afternoon while the dads sat on the tailgate an smoked cigars and drank beer.

Those are just three spots I remember - there are a lot of small streams all over the map up there.

Plus the headwaters of the Rio Grande are there if you want to try that.

Ikanizer
AG
There is plenty of public access to the Rio Grande between South Fork and Creede. Its about 15 miles along 149. There are rarely more than a handful of people fishing that stretch even this time of year. Above Creede starting at Marshall Park campground is easy access too. There are numerous 10-14" browns in the river. Larger browns are there and also occasional rainbow up to about 20" but require much more skill to catch. There are still a few stone flies around. Dry flies work all summer.
If you want to hike you can go up Squaw Creek from 30 mile campground, Ivy creek from the trailhead at Ivy creek campground or Deep Creek from the trailhead off Middle Creek road (busiest).
You are not likely to see people more than 1/2 mile from any trailhead that is off limits to ATV's.
LRHF
AG
We spent some time camping on Pool Table mtn outside of Creede. No cell/ internet but will post some trip reports in the next day or two. Ivy Creek was the bomb! Bumming around Salida for a few days then off to the Gunnison/ Almont area for 4-5 days.
Ikanizer
AG
LRHF said:

We spent some time camping on Pool Table mtn outside of Creede. No cell/ internet but will post some trip reports in the next day or two. Ivy Creek was the bomb! Bumming around Salida for a few days then off to the Gunnison/ Almont area for 4-5 days.
I live across the Rio Grande from Pool Table road. Plenty of unoccupied fishing space around here. Ivy Creek is a good one.
LRHF
AG
Here's a few pics from our time camping and fishing the Rio Grande near Creede, CO. The fishing was really good but the wind and current was a challenge for my SO. We camped 8 miles up on Pool Table Road and had a great hail storm on our first morning.

We fished well below Creede and a few miles up river of town on the Rio Grande. We also fished a few small streams but more on these adventures later.

I pulled out an older solar panel to help provide power to my dual 6v batteries. After some trouble shooting, determined that my voltage regulator isn't working anymore. Despite this minor setback, we had a great time camping and fishing in Creede! Hopefully it's not 6 years before we return again.

LRHF
AG
Hodor said:

I'm really intrigued by the idea of packing a Tenkara rod on hikes! Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about them. Which one do you use/recommend?

The one we have is from Tenkara USA and is 11 or 12' in length.
LRHF
AG
Ikanizer said:

LRHF said:

I live across the Rio Grande from Pool Table road. Plenty of unoccupied fishing space around here. Ivy Creek is a good one.

We appreciate the recommendation and will post some pics tomorrow from our adventure. Wouldn't have made this trip without your recommendation, many thanks!
rather be fishing
AG
LRHF, I'm really jealous of your fishing adventures.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
LRHF is definitely living the dream!

Awesome pics.
discosuperfly
AG
Agreed, really enjoy the trip reports. Keep it coming LRHF and thanks for the mention about Ivy Creek/Creede. Will be fishing the Conejos if the weather holds up over the holiday weekend and I may give it a go on the way out. Thanks!
MAROON
AG
Did a guide trip yesterday in western North Carolina. This time of year the fishing is concentrated on higher mountain streams. So we bushwhacked our way up a small creek. Ended up with 20 rainbow and the lone Brookie. Probably would have had double that if I was better at setting a hook! All small fish but a really fine time in a beautiful setting.

AggieChemist
AG
LRHF
AG
Appreciate the compliment AC! I've been surprised it took this long for a fellow Renegade to comment AC and I are members of a Facebook group that would make his comments about Tenkara on TA look kind!

My wife is learning some tough lessons on small streams fly rod vs Tenkara. When we fished the Ivy, my 8' 6" 4 wt was a huge advantage (a 6-7' 3 wt would have been better) vs the much longer Tenkara. I followed behind her and the results were very different.

For wider small streams, I still enjoy throwing a Tenkara rod in my backpack. So much faster that stringing together a rod when not on a fishing trip.

I don't mind posting pics and info about Tenkara because it's a fun way to fish and with a coiled sighter and heavy nymphs, it can be deadly on smaller water. I watched a guy on Silver Creek a few years ago murder the fish with small dry flies (size 22-24). He had some shoulder issues and switched for mobility issues. His Tenkara rod was +/- 20' long.

LRHF
rather be fishing
AG
LRHF said:

His Tenkara modified cane pole rod was +/- 20' long.
FIFY
Hodor
AG
LRHF said:

Hodor said:

The one we have is from Tenkara USA and is 11 or 12' in length.
Thanks! I was thinking it looked like a Sako based on the color combo. They're having a hard time keeping it in stock right now,though.

I currently have a 9' 5 wt fly rod that I enjoy messing around with. I've been debating getting a tenkara or shorter, lighter weight rod. I'll probably end up getting both at some point, to be honest.
AG
We had really good fishing on the Rio Grande but the wind blew us off the river. Ikanizer had provided a reference for Ivy Creek and it was pretty close by. We swung by hoping to get out of the wind and do some small stream angling. We didn't have time to research the trail but just wandered up until we found an excellent stream in a beautiful meadow.

Thanks again Ikanizer!

LRHF
AG
Last TR for Creede, CO

We took a short drive and fished the South Fork of the Rio Grande downstream of Big Meadow Reservoir. Fun angling on another small stream prior to moving to Salida, CO.

Had a quick chat with friends in AK last night, looks like we are on for a salmon fishing adventure in about a week!

Tight lines,
LRHF

LRHF
AG
Salida Trip Report

Tough day chasing cutthroat on a small mountain lake near Salida. Pictures not worth posting but had a nice hike and bottle of wine with friends. Fish were caught on beetles, PMD's and ants. Leaving tomorrow to see some friends near Tincup, CO.

Taylor Lake Trip Report

Went for a 6 mile hike to a small lake around 11,400'. The fishing was challenging but Melissa managed to land 5 fish.

LRHF
AG
We are camping out at a friends place near Taylor Park Reservoir. Had a good day of fishing for Cutthroat today and this was the sunset!
rather be fishing
AG
Should get a couple of hours in the water tomorrow afternoon. Not expecting great things after the holiday weekend, cause I'm sure it got hot hard.

I did pick up a Tibor Tail Water w/ spare spool for a song and a prayer on eBay Saturday. I'm going to be having wet dreams about putting it on my Radian until it gets here.
rather be fishing
AG
Manage to get about 45 minutes of fishing in this afternoon. Managed a couple of rainbows and a small cutty. Missed a couple of other fish, but was really fighting the wind with my 4wt.

rather be fishing
AG
This has been my go-to fly up here on the Thompson River. The dark color is hard to see at time, but I've been tying a little fluff of white calf tail into the wings and it's been producing really well.

LRHF
AG
Just flew into Anchorage! Will be floating the kenai with some friends over the next couple of days. Weather is currently great but expecting significant rain this weekend
rather be fishing
AG
Took a 30 minute break and hit one hole this afternoon. Caught a few small cutthroat and a couple of small, but gorgeous brookies.

rather be fishing
AG
Got this spooled up last night. Headed out once my daughter is down for a nap.
dr_boogs
AG
Let us know how you like that Tibor. I don't own one yet but it's on my list. What wt line did you put on it?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.