Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,839 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This one definitely needs to be serviced because the drag is a little loose, but it reels smoother than any other reel I own. Also, someone switched it over to right hand retrieve apparently? It clicks during the retrieve and doesn't when stripping line off.

I don't know how it compares it to the newer and CL reels because the drag systems have evolved quite a bit. But it's smooth, well built, and very simple construction. Plus it looks slick. This one probably needs some new cork on the drag, but they are really maintenance free.
rather be fishing
AG
Oh, and I spooled it up with the 6wt Airflo line I've been using on my Radian. I have a spare spool for it that I will probably put a sinking 6wt line on.
LRHF
AG
We took a break from our RV trip out West and headed up to Alaska for the weekend. Our good friends did a great job hosting us for a weekend of camping, boating and fishing in the rain!

We floated the Kenai River and caught the beginning of the 2nd Sockeye Salmon run. We had some rough weather for the 1st two days but the rain eased up for our last day. On our 2nd day, we floated the river with some of their friends and had a small Navy, we had over 22 people and dogs in drift boats, rafts, SUP's, packable kayaks and one person floated on a pool float.

We didn't see any bears but found some brown bear tracks on a mtn. bike ride down a mud flat. Saw a few moose!

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Beautiful. I figured you'd be throwing a 2 handed rod though. I thought that was nearly a requirement of BC/Alaska salmon/steelhead fishing.
LRHF
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Beautiful. I figured you'd be throwing a 2 handed rod though. I thought that was nearly a requirement of BC/Alaska salmon/steelhead fishing.

Would have been a good idea but don't have any (yet).
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I think I'm going to get one for summer steelhead out here. I've casted them a couple of times and they are pretty fun.
rather be fishing
AG
I've seen a couple of guys up this direction that use them to throw streamers in colder months.
Mr. Frodo
AG
Ok, taking this thing back Texas-way.
The CO, AK and MT pictures inspired me to get out into some moving TX water.
The fish ain't big but they are always fun to catch-- and no bears.

dr_boogs
AG
Great photos! Hooked up on a few war mouths a couple of weeks ago on the Guad. Was using a little TFO 3 wt, fly fishing for the first time with my 9 yr old. My photos weren't nearly that good.
tlfw378
AG
Very nice pictures.
Mr. Frodo
AG
War Mouths ... Ive never really known what those were. Thought they were a bass/sun fish hybrid. Cool pic of your son raising em right! On the photos, shoot in portrait mode on the iphone when you can makes all the difference. I also edited most of those with an easy adobe app called photoshop camera. I dont use photoshop but i do use Lightroom and premiere pro. They sent me this app for free one day and its pretty cool and easy. Will take your photos to the next level.
Badace52
AG
They are a species of sunfish. Here is a warmouth I caught a few weeks ago in my pond. It wasn't on fly (rooster tails), but this is what they look like:

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
Wow... Apparently, warmouths get autoflagged. This is a strange filter they have put on our board. Let's see if they flag this one:

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
Yep got flagged... Something is rotten in Denmark.
LRHF
AG
Great pics Mr Frodo! Kudos to Dr. Boogs for getting the youngsters involved!

We flew back from Anchorage to Denver and took a day off to rest with friends in Denver. We then drove back to Tincup and fished another day. We fished Willow Creek and caught enough fish for dinner.

We then drove back over Cottonwood Pass and reserved a campsite at Eleven Mile State Park with visions of fishing the "Dream Stream"!

Unfortunately, the "Dream" wasn't a good one. The fishing was terribly slow but we did net one each. Mrs LRHF hooked a really nice fish on an RS-II below a beetle but she broke him off with the 6x. I tied Up some Barr Emergers and Matthews Sparkle Duns for the morning and caught a small rainbow.

We are now having some drinks trying to decide between Elevenmile Canyon or Cheesman. Need to tie some RS-2's and Mercury caddis nymphs.
LRHF
AG
We have some new RS-2's and Mercury caddis nymphs. Hitting Tomohawk State Park tomorrow (Middle Fork of So. Platte)
MAROON
AG
Was only able to get out for an hour before dark tonight but was able to land three small rainbows/ beats the Houston heat!

Near Cashiers NC

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
LRHF
AG
The water flows are high on the Dream Stream and low flow at Cheeseman. Decided on a day of "catching" to help with family morale... the day was so much more!

We went to Tomahawk State Wildlife Area (CO). The morning consisted of mostly pickes with some 12-13" fish. Melissa hammered the fish with a foam beetle and I nymphed the deeper runs. Tied up some RS-2's and caddis nymphs the night before. The RS-2's were great for the morning before we had to run for shelter when a storm came through.

After the rain cleared, we moved about a mile down the road to learn a new area. It was slow for nymphing but Melissa hammered the small fish on a beetle then a hopper with a caddis nymph once the wind picked up. She caught a nice rainbow but jumped out of her hand prior to a picture. Moments later, I was walking back to check on her and saw her set the hook on a fish. I saw the rod come to tension and it looked like she hooked a log. She hollered "fish on" but from my vantage I chuckled. The "log" started moving! She had hooked a massive rainbow on the size 18 caddis nymph at an undercut bank. I dropped My stuff, grabbed a net and came below her. Right as I was a couple of feet behind the fish, I saw It release and almost managed to scoop it up.

I saw This fish clearly, definitely over 20" and I bet at least 6 lbs. This fish had a massive head and "football fish" girth. The 5x tippet broke (not at a knot). 20 minutes later, she hooked and landed a 16" rainbow!

LRHF
AG
Quick trip to explore Cheeseman Canyon. We didn't arrive until late in the afternoon but the trip was worth it. Cheeseman Canyon is a beautiful place to hike and fish. We did 6.5 miles round trip and walked out in the dark. The fishing was as challenging as advertised. Hooked a nice fish in still water with a size 24 Griffith gnat but broke off. Landed a 16" rainbow on a size 22 midge larva that I tied up while fishing the Guadalupe River a couple of seasons ago. Here's some pics.

Duncan Idaho
Did you use a Red Hills Brothers coffee can to keep the worms you used under that bobber?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Did you use a Red Hills Brothers coffee can to keep the worms you used under that bobber?
That's an indicator!!!!!

Seriously, the lengths we go to to feel superior over others for catching fish in a way that we deem too easy is pretty funny.
Badace52
AG
Agreed... However you wanna catch fish, do it. The most important part is just being out there.
Duncan Idaho
Did you miss the winky face?

It was a joke made out of envy
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Did you miss the winky face?

It was a joke made out of envy
Oh no, I got it. Just really commenting on that fly fisherman call bobbers an "indicator" in a way to sound more refined.
Duncan Idaho
I am too pure to use an indicator....now that size 10 chubby Chernobyl that I have a dropper on...that is completely different.
LRHF
AG
I switched Indicators tonight and used a large foam hopper... stupid fish ate my indicator!

Melissa found the large fish from a couple of nights ago and set too early! I tried every trick I know but evidently she spooked it. Maybe we can try again in the fall. Off to the Leadville area tomorrow.
TThom
What river is this? Guad? S Llano?
LRHF
AG
Leadville was fun but the weather was a bit wet! We fished a couple of different sections of the East Fork of the Arkansas. We had a blast fishing near the headwaters.

Oruc Reis
AG
I think those are actually green sunfish, size and shape is very similar between them, warmouths, and rock bass.
MAROON
AG
IMO there is not a trout as pretty as those Brookies.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
rather be fishing
AG
Took a PTO day Tuesday after dropping my wife and daughter off at the airport in Spokane and checked out a new creek I had some intel on. It was right in the middle of a forest south of Troy, MT that FWP releases grizzlies in just about every year, so I had some pucker going on out there. Not another human within miles of me.

Not much size on the fish, but in a little over 3 hours, I caught over 20 fish, and had 4 different species of trout. Cutthroat, brookies, cutbow, and bull. Cutbow and bull we're new species for me.

Badace52
AG
I think Boogs is the one who said he was catching warmouth. I don't think Frodo ever referred to those green sunfish in his pics as warmouth.

Here are some Pics of warmouth I have caught recently, (if they will post, they keep getting autoflagged when I try to post them direct to the site. I'm using imgur this time).

rather be fishing
AG
I'm headed out on the lake with a coworker this evening. Going to throw the 8wt in the boat and see if I can catch some smallmouth or pike.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Do you tie flies or buy them?

If so, where do you buy?
LRHF
AG
brs4688 said:

Do you tie flies or buy them?

If so, where do you buy?

Mostly tie my own. Have some older boxes and buy some flies when in a new area and don't have supplies or time to tie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.