Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,887 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
Salt of the water
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's a big fly. Chunking the new 8wt?
rather be fishing
AG
Yep, trying to get some practice in for Florida.
LRHF
AG
Just returned back home from the Bighorn Lake Reservoir. We went to fish the Bighorn river but trout conditions are bad because the temperature of the water coming out of the dam is too high. We pivoted to sight casting dry flies for carp and netted double digits a person to the net! I need to edit a few pics before posting (aka need to learn). Used my 4 wt since didn't have current to contend with, most fish were in the 5-8 lb range. Don't go fish the river until they get the inflow/ outflow issues resolved and lower the temp but do think about a trip to the lake if you are going to be near Billings, MT.
rgarza35
AG
I fished a farm pond in Dekalb County, Tennessee this weekend with my 5wt. Landed these 2 channel cats.

CrocsAg20
AG
What do y'all throw to catch cats on the fly?
AggieArcher17
AG
Black streamer for me in cstat. Wooly bugger, leech, etc
rather be fishing
AG
Depends a lot on the pond. I've caught them on clousers in a pond that was really low on baitfish supply so the fish would hit basically anything that moved. My dad has a pond he pellet feeds catfish and I can catch them on salmon egg flies. Pretty much anything that resembles a piece of dog food will typically work.
rather be fishing
AG
elnaco said:

Are any of y'all interested or know anyone who may be interested in a new w/ tags Fishpond Sagebrush mesh vest?

It retails for $130, I'm hoping to get $100 for it, but I'll accept reasonable offers. Seems like a great vest and Fishpond makes quality products, I just have zero use for it.
Are you still trying to get rid of this? I'm in the market for a vest before I head to Idaho/Montana in August.
bmfvet
AG

I snuck into Idaho and fished on the St Joes river for a few hours before having to leave to make a flight. Of course the fish were really turning on when I had to go and my flight basically got cancelled, so I should have just kept fishing.

A few AC fish

chilimuybueno
AG
Anyone on here regularly fish the Upper Guad (above Ingram). I have been visiting and fishing that area frequently over the past 30 years and have noticed a real decline in both variety and size of fish, particularly on the South Fork above Hunt. Anyone here seeing what I've seen?
LRHF
AG
Prepping for a visit to Silver Creek later in August. Should have the morning Trico hatch covered, Need to order some more materials for other hatches.

https://imgur.com/a/M7XIx
rather be fishing
AG
I'll be the Salmon and Flathead next month. Started tying today.
rather be fishing
AG
Here's a bunch of ugly caddis flies.

I need to tie terrestrials and some sculpin patterns.
rather be fishing
AG
One lone bass on the San Gabriel this morning.

https://instagr.am/p/BW28DsGDnDJu67S-ku2mgvGhWsBKMrheguq8Uk0
rather be fishing
AG
Is that picture showing up? I've been trying to figure out instagram posting on my phone and I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it right.
ccard257
AG
I just see the camera icon in the middle of the Instagram frame.
rather be fishing
AG
ccard257 said:

I just see the camera icon in the middle of the Instagram frame.

Such is life.
rather be fishing
AG
Flying into Sun Valley on Wednesday and back from Kalispell the following Thursday. Planning on packing an 8wt and 5wt. Wife will have a 5wt. Hoping to show better than the one 8" cutthroat I caught 2 years ago up the God's summer hideaway.

Will definitely be flinging fuzz on the Salmon and Flathead. I'm also still looking at some 1 hour stops here and there between Salmon and Kalispell, so Bitterroot/Missoula are in play.

Taking recommendations.
rather be fishing
AG
Wasn't able to get a picture of my best fish from the Salmon, but did catch a few AC sized ones this morning.
https://instagr.am/p/BXs8U5wDLKD
rather be fishing
AG
Wanted to add a couple of pictures from the Glacier portion of our trip. Didn't take a whole lot of fish pictures, because we didn't catch anything with much size (expected with the native cutthroat), but here's Kintla Lake and the best cutthroat of the trip on Middle Fork of the Flathead during our float trip. Appreciate the recommendation from Rob for Glacier Raft Co. Hands down my favorite guide experience to date.

ccard257
AG
That looks fantastic
rather be fishing
AG
Been a while since anyone has added anything to this thread. Here's a bump from yesterday at one of the places we hunt.
https://instagr.am/p/BgJypRQAVl7
Ayto Siks
Nice. Bass are the hardest fish for me to catch on fly.
ccard257
AG
Nice bump.

Finally got a couple hours to look for white bass. Forgot my rod/reel but found a 6wt I hadn't used in ages and a sink tip line in the truck. Good enough.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Forgot about this thread until it was bumped a few days ago.

A couple recent freshwater outings- yesterday, 3/14 with my oldest and a little over a month ago.

https://instagr.am/p/BgWQabxgg_4

https://instagr.am/p/BetzQWqAjH8
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.