Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,872 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
LRHF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We moved to fish the Yampa tail water from Stagecoach Reservoir near Steamboat Springs. We camped at the State campground and had great views of the lake. The journey is equally fun, living out of an RV for months is fun! I've included a preview pic for our next destination.

Stringfellow Hawke
AG
LRHF said:

brs4688 said:

Do you tie flies or buy them?

If so, where do you buy?

Mostly tie my own. Have some older boxes and buy some flies when in a new area and don't have supplies or time to tie.

Thanks. If you have the time, would you put together a list of what to buy as a beginner.
LRHF
AG
brs4688 said:

LRHF said:

brs4688 said:

If so, where do you buy?

Mostly tie my own. Have some older boxes and buy some flies when in a new area and don't have supplies or time to tie.

Thanks. If you have the time, would you put together a list of what to buy as a beginner.

I Will have soMe time in a couple of days and glad to help. Lots of good reasons to tie flies just don't let cost be one of them! To be a good tier, one needs a stupid amount of materials! Are you focused on Freshwater, Saltwater or both?
rather be fishing
AG
Fairly standard lost of trout flies that you'd probably want to have on hand: elk hair Caddis, royal Coachman, yellow humpy, stimulator, parachute Adams, black first beetles (small and large, small works for ant mimics), and hoppers.

Nymphs: prince nymphs, Pat's rubber legs, zebra midge, San Juan worm.

Anytime you're in a new address, it's always a good idea to stop in a local fly shop and buy a half dozen to a dozen flies that they suggest.

If you're just getting into tying, pick 1-3 patterns you want to learn and buy the materials for them. Materials get expensive. They'll last a long time, but it's kind of like accumulating tools in your garage. You don't but they all at once, just something here and there as you need it. And buy good hooks.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
LRHF said:

brs4688 said:

LRHF said:

brs4688 said:

If so, where do you buy?

I Will have soMe time in a couple of days and glad to help. Lots of good reasons to tie flies just don't let cost be one of them! To be a good tier, one needs a stupid amount of materials! Are you focused on Freshwater, Saltwater or both?

Freshwater
discosuperfly
AG
Good list. I'd add the hare's ear and pheasant tail nymphs. These two flies and a Pat's are on 90% of my nymph rigs. Great all around flies for western trout streams!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Floated the Rogue this morning in my kayak and hooked up with a few! Beautiful morning. Nothing too big, all about this size.

Duncan Idaho
Don't be jealous but i spent the morning making the most awesome pivot table in excel.

BullSprig07
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Don't be jealous but i spent the morning making the most awesome pivot table in excel.

rather be fishing
AG
Caught my first smallmouth on fly last night, trying to decide if my body can handle wading one of the smaller rivers this evening, meeting a coworker to fish the Vermillion tomorrow, probably venturing somewhere on Sunday that is TBD, then wife and daughter fly back in Monday. So less fishing after this weekend.
LRHF
AG
About 20 years ago, we lived in Vernal, UT for a couple of years. It's a great place with tons of fishing, hunting, hiking, camping snowmobiling etc. I lived in SLC for some of my youth and we would drive over and fish the Green River multiple times each summer. Glad to get back here for a visit!

Melissa caught a beautiful rainbow on a huge dry fly! I've floated the Green a few times but she's never had the chance. We put in below the damn at Flaming Gorge and floated the A and B sections (we pushed through a bunch of water otherwise the float would have take too long, covered about 15 miles).

We found a couple of pods of feeding fish and caught some on the dry fly. I landed a couple of fish on streamers during the afternoon and we had a few on nymphs.

We camped to the West of Hwy 191 on some open Forest Service land. There were deer and elk hanging out in the meadows, a great place to sip an Old Fashioned with a blanket on to ward off the cold!

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Do you guys dry camp most of the time? How does that solar charger hold up? Enough to run everything but the A/C?
LRHF
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Do you guys dry camp most of the time? How does that solar charger hold up? Enough to run everything but the A/C?

Yes, most of the time we are dry camping. The solar panel does a great job of keeping the batteries charged. We have two 6 volt batteries in series to get 12 volts. I do Have a small Honda generator if we need to charge batteries or run the TV to watch DVD's. We do have an AC but can't run unless we have shore power.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Cool. We're getting close to getting a travel trailer and will be dry camping most of the time since we have so much BLM and forest land nearby.
Will definitely make the fishing trips a lot more fun!
rather be fishing
AG
Spent the afternoon up there Vermillion River with one of my coworkers. Hit some small pools in an area that our company has done a lot of stream restoration, so he wanted to show it to me. We each caught 5 or 6 cutties in the 8-10" range, which is about all you can expect as far up the river as we were. Was spectacular to wet wade, as we've been up near 100 degrees the last several days.

Headed to the Thompson River tomorrow for a full day of wading, hoping for some better size, but I'll take whatever. Need to give the 4wt a good work out.
rather be fishing
AG
We spent Thursday-Sunday in Challis and Stanley, ID. Should have been at the Brain Brothers Reunion, but it was cancelled due to Covid, so we did some exploring we normally wouldn't have been able to do. I fished the Salmon and Yankee Fork to no avail. Had a handful of rises, but the fish were really sluggish and did have any takers.

Nice change of scenery.

Did some blue lining for a spring creek that turned into a splash party instead.

Really surprising how many people were in a tiny town as remote as Stanley. It's a fantastic area if you're every in Idaho.

And got off the schneid today on my local water with the biggest cutties I've caught in the Thompson River so far.
LRHF
AG
We met some friends in Ketchum, ID for a few days. Our camp was about 30 minutes out of town on a free spot in the National Forest. Caught a few small fish in the stream by camp.

If you head over the mountain, you can fish the Upper Big Lost. Strange flows, very low on the freestone but too high below the damn safely fish. Caught a few fish but had a great time in the high desert landscape.

No trip is compete without a couple of days fishing Silver Creek! I come here because it's beautiful and a great way to test my fly tying and angling skills. The first day I had many takes but couldn't land any of the fish. I was too quick on my hook sets, too hard on 6 and 7x, a bit unlucky but despite this, was one of my best mornings on the creek. I took a midday break to warm up, eat then exacted my revenge with some hoppers!

I had Only scheduled 1 day for Silver Creek but had to return since I had hooked numerous fish the day before in small flys (sz 22 and smaller Tricos, BWO, PMD's and xxx)

The next day was way busier than the prior day, 9 vehicles were parked when we arrived at 7:30. The trico hatch was starting around 8 and the fishing was fire from about 9-10:30. Long leaders were helpful and the fish did their part! Didn't land any monsters but landed 80% of my takes with the biggest on a size 22 trico spinner on 7x. It felt good to have a successful morning! My SO had many takes and managed to land one fish. If we had another day, I think she would have done much better.

We have now moved to camp and fish on the Henry's Fork. Here is a picture from last nights sunset. A few nights ago, we had a great evening watching satellites and shooting stars!

Almost forgot, we did head over to Sun Valley to watch the Symphony! Unfortunately, because of Covid, it was a series of short performances by the artists In their homes. Had a nice bottle of wine!
LRHF
AG
Caught a nice rainbow yesterday on the Henry's Fork. We had a slow morning but some fish started rising in the early afternoon. This fish took a small ant pattern on 6x tippet. Thank goodness I had My SO nearby to help net the fish. Big fish on small tippet are hard to land when there is a bunch of moss.
BullSprig07
AG
I just started doing this on my own and didn't think this would be my first fish on the fly (or first fish unguided w/my own equipment rather) pretty cool surprise.

Caught on a quick trip to white oak bayou in Houston on my lunch break yesterday.
dr_boogs
AG
Awesome photo. I've been trying to hook one of those SOB's all summer to scratch if off my fly-rod list and am still 0'-fer. Missed another one yesterday. And two weeks ago was fly fishing on an over flow out of lake somerville and there were dozens coming up to sip air but couldn't get much interest. Had one hit a deer hair bass bug but when I went to set the hook he released. What fly did you catch yours on?
BullSprig07
AG
An olive carp bitter
It tossed it about 12 feet, fly was pretty dry and stinking slowly and this guy rose and hammered it while it was still close to the surface. Surprised the hell out me. I wish I could tell you it was something I did on the hook set but the fish took it just right.
dr_boogs
AG
Forgot to ask, coming out of the Houston bayou, how'd that gar eat?
BullSprig07
AG
As tempting as locally sourced gar balls sounded, was released to fight another day.
ccard257
AG
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
Duncan Idaho
Damn catching so many fish, you had to change shirts
AggieChemist
AG
A few days apart.
LRHF
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Damn catching so many fish, you had to change shirts

Changed hats as well... didn't trim beard!
Hudson2508
AG
Well we made a later than usual trip to Crested Butte last week. Rented a beautiful cabin on Spring Creek in Almont just upstream from the Taylor River. The morning after the 2nd night I almost stepped on a dead bat in my two toddler's room. Well 24 hours later the whole family had rabies shots after we heard from the property manager that they had a bat infestation problem they didn't warn us about. Then the guy told us we had to leave the rental or sign an agreement releasing them from liability. We peaced out and found a less desirable backup condo. Then after all that bull**** I actually was able to fish....

Fished Spring Creek which is my usual hole since I love the difficult terrain that typically scares off the crowds. Well it didn't scare off the COVID crowds and not many fish were to be found. Had some success but decided I wanted to find something way off the grid.

I took a chance on a long drive. I decided to drive all the way to the start of the Taylor River way upstream of the reservoir near the Taylor Peak. It ended up being the best fishing decision of my life. Spent the next two days fishing a beautiful stretch of the Taylor that fished more like a small creek. It was full of decent sized browns and one nice Brookie. I was actually surprised by the apparent lack of Brooks. It was wonderful, every hole that looked fishy had a fish in it. I was also completely alone in the brilliance, not a soul to be seen other than a huge bull elk that scared the **** out of me. My Barclay glass rods were the perfect tools for the stream. I ended up using my 6'8" 3Wt the most since it simply felt perfect in my hands and put the dries right where they needed to be.

Well here are some of the spoils. Can't recommend this location enough if you love small stream fishing.

LRHF
AG
Hudson2508 said:

Well we made a later than usual trip to Crested Butte last week. Rented a beautiful cabin on Spring Creek in Almont just upstream from the Taylor River. The morning after the 2nd night I almost stepped on a dead bat in my two toddler's room. Well 24 hours later the whole family had rabies shots after we heard from the property manager that they had a bat infestation problem they didn't warn us about. Then the guy told us we had to leave the rental or sign an agreement releasing them from liability. We peaced out and found a less desirable backup condo. Then after all that bull**** I actually was able to fish....

Fished Spring Creek which is my usual hole since I love the difficult terrain that typically scares off the crowds. Well it didn't scare off the COVID crowds and not many fish were to be found. Had some success but decided I wanted to find something way off the grid.

I took a chance on a long drive. I decided to drive all the way to the start of the Taylor River way upstream of the reservoir near the Taylor Peak. It ended up being the best fishing decision of my life. Spent the next two days fishing a beautiful stretch of the Taylor that fished more like a small creek. It was full of decent sized browns and one nice Brookie. I was actually surprised by the apparent lack of Brooks. It was wonderful, every hole that looked fishy had a fish in it. I was also completely alone in the brilliance, not a soul to be seen other than a huge bull elk that scared the **** out of me. My Barclay glass rods were the perfect tools for the stream. I ended up using my 6'8" 3Wt the most since it simply felt perfect in my hands and put the dries right where they needed to be.

Well here are some of the spoils. Can't recommend this location enough if you love small stream fishing.

Good recovery! That's a great piece of water, nice post!
MSL Ag
AG
Been following this thread for a while, but first time to post. Thought y'all might enjoy these fish from last year on some private water on the Lake Fork just outside Leadville, CO. Had a tough and cold day because of wind, but my dad and I netted these hogs with the last few casts of the day with some Woolley buggers. It was a lot of fun sight casting to the Palomino and watching it hit the fly hard. Both fought like crazy.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rather be fishing
AG
Thompson River again today. Pretty slow, but has 3 cutties in the 10-14" range. I'll take those all day.

Also came up on a group of feral roosters. That was quite the surprise. In hind sight, should have thrown a hopper at them and taken home dinner and a new hackle cape.

ThatOneGuy
AG
I hiked up into a lake in Rocky Mountain National Park today and caught a lot of cutthroat on dries. There is smoke obscuring the scenery from the fires but the fishing was great.

I'm heading further and higher into the backcountry tomorrow to fish another lake.
TKEAg04
AG
Did a little camping and fishing on the N. Fork of the Clearwater River and Kelly Creek in N. Idaho this past weekend. Beautiful and remote country with crystal clear water! Caught native cutthroat in the 10-15" range all day - to the point where I couldn't fish anymore! They hit dry flies, nymphs and streamers - practically anything you threw at them. I lost a 20+ inch fish at the net. The best part was throwing size 20 midge dry flies and watching the fish come out of the depths to smash the fly. There were a couple of deep pools that had to have been 30+ feet deep that you could see straight to the bottom. Will definitely be going back next year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.