Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,888 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like they have that hole covered up!
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist
AG
LRHF
AG
AggieChemist said:

Nice rainbow(s) !
Live_Flyway_Action
Took a day off to find out what I have been curious about for a while now. Went to the Possum Kingdom dam on the Brazos. Parked at the hwy 16 bridge and waded in 5 wt in hand waders on. Got to the bridge at 9am and waded/walked/hiked up to the dam. Took about 45 minutes to get up there from the bridge (this was my first time- probably didn't do it the best way) got up on top of a boulder on the west side of the dam and threw the white clouser with a quick strip. Flow was at 50 cf/m.

It was on. Every other cast.

Not big on size but it was fun and good action. Pics below please let me know your advice on how to best approach next time. It looked like there might be a trail on the east side that would avoid wading through the river?

Hamburger Dan
They'll be stocking rainbows in that part of the river soon. My dad and I used to float that part of the river, down to the next bridge. 2-3 days depending on flows or weather. Bass, catfish, sand bass / hybrids / strippers, always something to catch. Thanks for the pics and a reminder, of some good times.
LRHF
AG
Live_Flyway_Action said:

Took a day off to find out what I have been curious about for a while now. Went to the Possum Kingdom dam on the Brazos. Parked at the hwy 16 bridge and waded in 5 wt in hand waders on. Got to the bridge at 9am and waded/walked/hiked up to the dam. Took about 45 minutes to get up there from the bridge (this was my first time- probably didn't do it the best way) got up on top of a boulder on the west side of the dam and threw the white clouser with a quick strip. Flow was at 50 cf/m.

Not big on size but it was fun and good action. Pics below please let me know your advice on how to best approach next time. It looked like there might be a trail on the east side that would avoid wading through the river?

Nothing wrong with a day of "catching", nice!
Live_Flyway_Action
Cheers Dan. Let me know if you want to show me the ropes out there sometime. It's not a terrible drive for me from Midland. Left at 5:30 and was there at 9
Mr. Frodo
AG

Flyway did you park in green?
Can you park in yellow?
Did you fish your way up from the bridge?
Thanks for posting.

Anyone done something similar at Lake Whitney?
Duncan Idaho
Looks like a great day. You can park right next to the damn and then there is a path you can take to the water.

What were you throwing? Last time I went I had pretty good luck with some clousers.
rather be fishing
AG
We're pretty close to closing on some property with about 500ft of frontage on the Bull River up here. It's slow moving and super clear, so trout will be very tough but I'm pretty excited about it.
Mr. Frodo
AG
So Duncan, can you drive up the gravel road on left and park in the red circle?

bugslinger
AG
Live_Flyway_Action said:

https://i.imgur.com/EBHcxPY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KwyzB2k.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bClLBZ3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/yJf6qjd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dReemMi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Uv6JL3b.jpg

You got me stoked to try this when i get back to Texas. Any white bass in the mix?
TresPuertas
AG
Nothing too impressive but a personal best in my backyard pond. Green and white clouser always gets it done

TxAG-010
AG
Midland eh?!
As a fellow Midlander let me know next time you go and want company!
Duncan Idaho
I parked across the street from what looked like a couple of camping spots. I will have to pull it on my laptop tomorrow
Duncan Idaho
here are the coordinates of where i parked. there is a trail head right there.

Cut and paste them into google and it will take you there. it is basically halfway up the yellow

32.87013322410886, -98.42144136040511
Mr. Frodo
AG
Got it! Thanks.
Did you pull those coordinates from a picture?
Duncan Idaho
Just pulled them from google maps
Live_Flyway_Action
I was throwing a white clouser with some silver in it- you can see it in the pictures
Live_Flyway_Action
Great- I am looking to get back over there. I need to work on my set up to throw some bigger size flies to try and get further up to the dam
Live_Flyway_Action
Thanks Duncan- that looks like a much better spot to get in from. Cuts the walk in half at least
Duncan Idaho
You do have to cross the small run on the east side and then you can just walk up the middle and shoot the bank
MAROON
AG
Son pulled a pretty Brown out of the Davidson yesterday afternoon, while I fumbled around and lost one. Sure is fun to fish in the winter up here without the crowds

LRHF
AG
Merry Christmas freshwater gang! Enjoying some time ignoring my MIL by tying a Heifer Groomer.

The head is too big (long) and the collar isn't great but "it will fish"!
Give it a spin.

h1ag
AG
Well, I was going to post pics of my first foray into fly tying after getting one of the Orvis sets that comes with materials and instructions, but I'm not sure my shaggy EHC, San Juan worms and zebra midges will stack up against that!
LRHF
AG
h1ag said:

Well, I was going to post pics of my first foray into fly tying after getting one of the Orvis sets that domes with materials and instructions, but I'm not sure my shaggy EHC, San Juan worms and zebra midges will stack up against that!

Post away, let's see them! Just a few short years ago so was in the same spot!
bugslinger
AG
Good job on the spun deer hair
h1ag
AG
Alright, here we go! First attempts in the back.
LRHF
AG
h1ag said:

Alright, here we go! First attempts in the back.

Nice work! The zebra midge and SJ worm look really good. Do you have a hair stacker yet? The EHC will look better with stacked hair. FYI- you can use deer and elk hair.

What are you going to try next?
h1ag
AG
I tried a wooly bugger and an Adams parachute, but those had a lot going on and kind of got away from me. I went back to nymphs this afternoon, and I'm having good luck with those. Each one I have done has added in just a little extra to work on. Getting the right amount of dubbing is proving to be difficult for me though.
rather be fishing
AG
I always find that I need a lot less dubbing than I think. Especially if you have a wire brush to pull it out. Hair stacker is a big help, and it looks like you have the same Dr. Slick took set that I have, so you should have one.

You're nymphs look really good. I need to start tying more nymphs, because I have a feeling it new property is going to be better nymphs fishing than dries.
Badace52
AG
Tried to catch some rainbow stockers out east of Austin in Kingfisher Pond and ended up with this guy instead.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
docb
AG
Yampa on Monday. Going again today.

rather be fishing
AG
We had about 7" of snow on the ground at the house, but luckily it snows a lot less 30 miles east of us. I hate nymphing, but was pretty happy with one solid whitefish.

We have kid #2 on the way in May, so I don't see myself getting to do a bunch of meaningful fishing in 2021. Will be spending a lot of time doing twilight fishing at our new property I'm sure.

https://instagr.am/p/CJeg6JFl63_

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.