Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,891 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You must have really long arms to make those 6" fish look that big.
rather be fishing
AG
Planning on fishing a pond midday Saturday between hunts and decide to try a couple of articulated patterns. Interested to see how these hold up.

rgarza35
AG
On Friday, my brother & I went on a float trip on the Guadalupe river with Alvin Dedeaux with All Water Guides for rainbow trout. We started at Rio Guadalupe Resort floated about 3 miles down the river. We nymphed with a stone fly and olive emerger dropper under a strike indicator. We caught over 20 trout ranging from 14-19 inches. Weather was cloudy and cold. It was a great day. A few pics;

elnaco
AG
A few ties for the white bass run up the creeks

Minner patterns
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y473/r_keel/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/Fly%20Tying/629EF148-BDB9-4856-89F3-74097876FCD4_zpszfvimihx.jpg

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y473/r_keel/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/Fly%20Tying/C5D91C99-C9E7-4B24-AB4F-6F7796B004CE_zpsh7ouszr8.jpg

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y473/r_keel/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/Fly%20Tying/5A809516-81BF-4A9C-BBE0-C3D6FCC12246_zpse5my3a83.jpg

Some heavier schtuff

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y473/r_keel/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/Fly%20Tying/DEB72EA8-301B-4057-8224-FDA15C2D71C2_zpsg0dn8ku1.jpg

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y473/r_keel/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/Fly%20Tying/3CD9E6D3-F3DC-4AAE-8F18-BC809175446C_zpstjbgqqdg.jpg

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y473/r_keel/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/Fly%20Tying/00247DFA-51DF-48D3-BE7E-6209E3169309_zpspy4ejwlx.jpg
CrocsAg20
AG
Any decent places around the B/CS area for bass on the fly? I've been to the Bryan golf course a few times, but haven't caught many bass
rather be fishing
AG
Had to take advantage of the fantastic weather and spent a little time on Brushy Creek today. A lot of good size bass that weren't interested in anything but did manage one decent one. Managed to get a picture and then proceeded to drop my phone in the water. Luckily got it dried out and it still works!

Ayto Siks
Caught some invasives this weekend. The oscars were greedy.

Same for the Mayan cichlids.

Watched a giant bowfin cruising along the bank hunting the edge. He was slowly coming towards me, and on a collision course with a spotted tilapia defending a bed. Waited for the eventual showdown. The tilapia didn't back down. He stared the bowfin down face to face until the bowfin slinked away. Dropped a fly on its nest just for kicks and completed the invasive trifecta. Not a bad weekend.

RickSawyer
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BSCaEFDgAqG

First fish from Buffalo Bayou on my lunch break.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Took the day off Friday and made my annual day trip to Colorado Bend SP. Arrived at about 2:30 and was upriver past the primitive camping area by 3. Usually I use a 5 wt with floating line but this trip went with a 5 wt rig with sinking line. A white crazy charlie produced but when the evening bite heated up I switched to a chartreuse/white chain beadhead Clouser. Caught and released 30 keeper whites, a couple of dinks, plus a small Guadalupe, a redbreast and a gaspergou. Left the park at 8 for the long drive back to SA.
AggieChemist
AG
Wild bows yesterday...

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Did an overnight float trip on the Lower Colorado River Friday 4/28 and Saturday 4/29 with the folks from ReelFly Outfitters. Myself and 3 other dudes floated from the put-in at FM973 and the take-out at Little Webberville Park.

Between the 4 of us we probably caught over 100 fish the 2 days. Great mixed bag of LMB, Guads, white bass, crappie, longnose gar, and even gaspergou.

A couple of the highlights...

Guad on vintage glass:

Probably the biggest Guad of the trip:

Longnose gar on the fly (these dudes are pretty cool- you can sight-cast them and they jump well):

RickSawyer
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BTh3T7UAG_6
AggieChemist
AG
elnaco
AG
Are any of y'all interested or know anyone who may be interested in a new w/ tags Fishpond Sagebrush mesh vest?

It retails for $130, I'm hoping to get $100 for it, but I'll accept reasonable offers. Seems like a great vest and Fishpond makes quality products, I just have zero use for it.
Jrod05
AG
Finn, that is the area I duck hunt. That is the river that is making me lean towards sabine. I want to get a fiberglass skiff but know I wont be able to be on that river.

Did yall put in above the little dam?

What did yall do the float in? Yaks? Boat?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Jrod05 said:

Finn, that is the area I duck hunt. That is the river that is making me lean towards sabine. I want to get a fiberglass skiff but know I wont be able to be on that river.

Did yall put in above the little dam?

What did yall do the float in? Yaks? Boat?

We put in at the FM 973 bridge and were in 3-man drift rafts sort of like this:

Jrod05
Finn Maccumhail
AG
If you want something capable for the river around there and the coast, especially that's going to pole pretty well your two best options are going to be the Sabine Versatile or the Hog Island and either one with a jet drive.
Jrod05
AG
Yup that is what I have come up with. The Sabine is just a little tough to swallow at 29k I need to go see it in person.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Jrod05 said:

Yup that is what I have come up with. The Sabine is just a little tough to swallow at 29k I need to go see it in person.
I've been on both. The Sabine is an excellent rig. It would be my pick over the Hog Island.
Jrod05
AG
Sweet. Thanks Finn
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Jrod05 said:

Sweet. Thanks Finn

My consulting fee is a duck hunt and a fishing trip on the river.
Ayto Siks
Drove through the Miami area over the weekend. Pulled over and walked a canal looking for peas. Saw a lot of pairs guarding their beds, but I couldn't find any singles or cruisers. I wanted to leave the mating pairs alone, but eventually caved and dropped a clouser on this guy's head.

Jrod05
AG
Deal. I can promise a hunt not results tho!
Jrod05
AG
Nice!
LRHF
AG
Tied up some Gurglers over the winter and had some success before the spawn! We turned days that would have been 5-10 fish/ person into 20-30 fish a rod! Jack Gartside invented the Gurgler and it is a great pattern for fresh and saltwater fishing. He was a fascinating guy and the video below is worth watching if you enjoy flyfishing history!

Will post some more pics when learn how to edit Imgur pics.
LRHF
AG
Time to restock the fly box with Elk Hair Caddis! Great time of year for Houstonians to tie flys and catch up on Netflix.

My niece helped tie a few

Now just need to take an airplane ride someplace nice!
K Bo
AG
The wife and I are headed to Broken Bow, OK next week! I am not sure of our schedule as it's a family reunion of sorts, so I might just have to DIY as time allows. Does anyone have experience DIY fishing the Mountain Fork River? If so, any locations you're willing to share? I'm gonna pick up some flies this week, at the suggestion(s) of a friend that works at a local fly shop.

Also, this weekend I got a new 6wt setup predominantly for Houston bayous/Central TX rivers.

Scott Radian 6wt (bday present from my wife) mated with Hatch 5 Plus in new bead blasted sand color:

Any help for the OK trip is greatly appreciated and will hopefully be rewarded with some pics of my first rainbows and/or browns!

txaggiefarmer05
AG
K bo, email me at sthuddles@gmail, I'll help
Anyway I can for a fellow DIYer. And I'd wait to buy flies at the shop in the park.
K Bo
AG
email sent, thanks!
RickSawyer
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BVNRObnnPFg

Zander getting in the pond cats today.
rather be fishing
AG
Spending my morning on the Llano River.
Rock Ag
AG
Made my second trip to the Soca Valley in Slovenia. Tons of rainbows and even a couple marble trout as well.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Excellent.

I have a fishing buddy who's fished there (Slovenia- not sure it was the same part of the country) and he said it was absolutely amazing. The waters were so pristine you could drink directly from them without any concern of getting sick and there was almost zero fishing pressure.
AggieArcher17
AG
Found some peas today!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.