Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,838 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
LRHF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
San Juan River Update

Took my MIL and her friend on a float trip a few days ago. These two had never caught a fish on a fly rod and both hooked some good fish. Amazingly, we landed one good fish and lots of little ones.

October on the San Juan is pretty magical! The cottonwood trees are all yellow, the waterfowl are flying around and the midge hatch is on! We floated about 350 yards by 1 pm there were so many pods of rising fish!

Yankee_Bass
Howdy! I just moved to CS from Chicago a few weeks ago. I'm an obsessed fly fisher and would like to meet other similarly afflicted folks. Here's to seeing you on the water soon
!
Duncan Idaho
Nice musky.

Is that a lamson SS fly rod? How do you like it? They are still on clearance some places I can't make myself pull the trigger
Yankee_Bass
Yes, Lamson SS. It's so good I got two. A 7wt (pictured above, it's really at least an 8) and an 11 wt.
AggieChemist
AG

AggieChemist
AG

Yankee_Bass
Outstanding!
rather be fishing
AG
Oh, come on now. Post the other picture.
AggieChemist
AG
I don't know what you're talking about.
AggieChemist
AG
Surely you didn't mean this one.
AggieChemist
AG

rather be fishing
AG
AggieChemist said:

There it is
TarponChaser
AggieChemist said:

I can hear the Benny Hill theme music when I look at this pic.
AggieChemist
AG
TarponChaser said:

AggieChemist said:

I can hear the Benny Hill theme music when I look at this pic.

It was a **** show. I chased it up and down the bank and it finally made the River. Shame too. She was a big fat chrome hen that would have made a good picture.
LRHF
AG
San Juan River Update

The river continues to fish well into November! Lots of midge hatches and emerger activity.

Had a couple of Ags from Houston and another trip with some friends from Austin.

Shout out to K_P for tipping with a nice bottle of bourbon! (In addition to a bottle of Eagle Rare we mostly consumed the night before after an excellent bottle of Caymus!)

If you are an Ag and thinking about a float on the San Juan River, call me! (720) 425-6138

LRHF

K_P
AG
Highly recommend LRHF! His hand tied flies were super effective and he freely shared his knowledge.
dr_boogs
AG
Could start a new thread but figured you guys would know:

1) need recs on a WFF fly line for a 4 weight Echo boost, used for San Marcos river fishing - float fishing out of a raft for panfish, small to medium Guad bass, and small stocker trout. close to medium distances, I'd say 50-60 feet would be a very long cast on that river.

2) picked up a 5 wt Redington butter stick for my son for Christmas. He's 10 and learning to fly fish. That rod is s a slow-medium action 5 for beginners or those that like slower action, non graphite rods. Any recs for a line for a slower glass 5 wt? Same type of fishing - panfish to medium or even larger stocker trout on the Guad (or San Juan )

TIA

LHRF - let's talk about a trip! Shoot me a PM!
rather be fishing
AG
Budget for lines? You can spend $25-120 on a line.

I've been a big fan of Airflo, but have not put any new lines on since they were bought out. Rio Gold is also a fantastic line. I had mediocre results with Orvis lower end lines.

I don't think you can really go wrong, just pick something in your price range and go for it. I would say probably put something mid-range or better on the rod for your son. A good line can really help with learning to cast.
Yankee_Bass
I've switched to SunRay lines from Great Britain. These are unlike anything on the market, being much thinner and slicker. I'm no prodigy, but my distance easily improved 30% with these lines. You may have seen the ads on Facebook. They are legit. I have them in #2, #6, and #9.

dr_boogs
AG
Will check them out. Thanks YB.
Yankee_Bass
Easily the best casting line I've ever used. Plus his videos are entertaining.
LRHF
AG
Floated the SJ today with dad. He didn't have his best day but let me fish a pod of rising fish and hooked up with this beauty!

The fly is a variation of Griffith gnat with the hackle trimmed to showcase a black midge body. The water flows are around 300 cfs so stealth is key (along with 7x tippet!). Sometime after thanksgiving, the BOR is planning to increase the flows to 1400 cfs to help maintain water levels in Lake Powell in an effort to keep the electrical generating equipment safe.

Stat Monitor Repairman
Looking to order some gloves for cold weather fishing.

What y'all got?
AggieChemist
AG
Simms wool fingerless. See pic above. $40.
LRHF
AG
San Juan River- great fall day!

Had a great day on the river with another Ag! It was a cold morning but temps quickly climbed above freezing and the sun and low wind made for a memorable day!

We hooked a number of fish in Texas Hole and landed some nice fish! Great day of learning how to fly fish from knot tying to casting, setting the hook and playing fish.

As we eased down the river, there was a very good midge hatch and we found some big fish sipping midge clusters off of a current/ slack water seam. When I say big, every bit of 22-26" long!

We learned how to properly present dry flies without spooking fish and had 3 of these fish take the fly! Unfortunately with 6x tippet this location was difficult to play and land fish but what a thrill watching them eat.

Sounds like the BOR won't be releasing large flows in December but who knows! If the mild weather continues, fishing in the Juan will continue to be good for a while!

Love having Ags on the boat, let's go fishing!

LRHF

LRHF
AG
Animas River Update

Fished the Animas in Durango today with friends. It was a bit slow but hooked a dandy! Tied a fly pattern developed by Duranglers and it worked well. Tied up a bunch yesterday we we caught a handful of small ones then this hog! Not a super long fish but fat with a kype jaw!

Stat Monitor Repairman

Simms wants $260 for some stainless pliers. Got these off Amazon for $20. Came in today. Seem legit for price paid. Wont sting as bad when dropped in water.

Gonna put a light coat of silicone and see how they hold up.
LRHF
AG
Sometimes you don't catch any fish but get to witness a beautiful sunset! This was from the Animas River this evening.

TheMasterplan
If I were to be in the US for the months of May and June, where would be the best fly fishing in Texas/Arkansas?

All my fly fishing has been in NZ (lucky me) but keen to give it a go in the US for a different experience when I can finally return for a visit. I like the hiking and walking involved with it so if there's anywhere that I can combine that as well - that'd be sweet.

rather be fishing
AG
TheMasterplan said:

If I were to be in the US for the months of May and June, where would be the best fly fishing in Texas/Arkansas?

All my fly fishing has been in NZ (lucky me) but keen to give it a go in the US for a different experience when I can finally return for a visit. I like the hiking and walking involved with it so if there's anywhere that I can combine that as well - that'd be sweet.

87flyfisher at Woodruff Guide Service would be my call.
rather be fishing
AG
These loon forceps are my favorite: https://www.amazon.com/Loon-Outdoors-Rogue-Quick-Forcep/dp/B01KKUKKUY/ref=asc_df_B01KKUKKUY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312125955110&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10410947483806659624&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021423&hvtargid=pla-525688727730&psc=1

They're lightweight, have a build in carabiner style clip, scissor edge, and a poker for clearing glue out of the hook eye.
87Flyfisher
AG
Some recent catches from our new home in Arkansas (and the new boat)

LRHF
AG
87Flyfisher said:

Some recent catches from our new home in Arkansas (and the new boat)

Nice fish 87! Is your new operation up and running? Have a website we can look at?
87Flyfisher
AG
Not guiding yet. Still have a lot of learning to do on the new waters. I'll let the OB know when we start booking trips.

You can keep up with what we are doing on Instagram @woodruff_flyfishing and Woodruff Fly Fishing on Facebook.
Duncan Idaho
rather be fishing said:

These loon forceps are my favorite: https://www.amazon.com/Loon-Outdoors-Rogue-Quick-Forcep/dp/B01KKUKKUY/ref=asc_df_B01KKUKKUY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312125955110&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10410947483806659624&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021423&hvtargid=pla-525688727730&psc=1

They're lightweight, have a build in carabiner style clip, scissor edge, and a poker for clearing glue out of the hook eye.

Fyi

https://www.sierra.com/loon-outdoors-iconic-tool-kit~p~68ppu/

They also have a bunch of lamson reels in stock. At $120, the remix is probably the best deal in reels.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.