Outdoors
Sponsored by

freshwater flyfishing

122,856 Views | 903 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by docb
LRHF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Check out the new Orvis waders for dogs. Will make clean up way easier. I continue to be amazed by how innovative the new Orvis has become!

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/introducing-the-new-orvis-pro-dog-waders

LRHF
Duncan Idaho
rather be fishing said:

Duncan Idaho said:

If you are looking for a glass rod, sierra has some butter sticks in stock for $180

I have a 1960s Fenwick 8.5' 6wt that I keep thinking I want to sell because I never use it, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. That thing is a helluva bass rod.

I still use the crap out of my dad's old Shakespeare glass rod around the golf course ponds.
TarponChaser
TresPuertas said:

JCB01 said:

Great pictures TresPuertas, but those pictures deserve a tank top.

You're right. Sleeves are for nerds.
what about shoes?
TarponChaser
Duncan Idaho said:

rather be fishing said:

Duncan Idaho said:

If you are looking for a glass rod, sierra has some butter sticks in stock for $180

I have a 1960s Fenwick 8.5' 6wt that I keep thinking I want to sell because I never use it, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. That thing is a helluva bass rod.

I still use the crap out of my dad's old Shakespeare glass rod around the golf course ponds.

I use glass rods a lot. While not as much as some true glass addict I think I have a pretty respectable quiver of vintage and a little modern glass. It's a ton of fun.
bugslinger
AG
LRHF said:

Check out the new Orvis waders for dogs. Will make clean up way easier. I continue to be amazed by how innovative the new Orvis has become!

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/introducing-the-new-orvis-pro-dog-waders

LRHF

While you're at it, make sure you pick up the new TFO Cicada Cannon lol.
Badace52
AG
Got out on the Devil's River this past weekend. Fishing was slowest I've ever experienced there, but it was strangely cold and the freeze killed a lot of the aquatic plants down to the roots so fish had little cover.

Caught a few little guys on fly. We caught bigger fish on conventional tackle...

CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LRHF
AG
Picked up a new project a couple of days ago! Drove from Durango to Fort Smith, MT to pick up a heavily used Adipose Flow drift boat. The fiberglass is in really good shape but it needed the hinges for the latches redone, the hydraulic seats need some repair and needed to remount the rowers seat.

Drove down to Salt Lake City and my brother and his wife helped me do some
repairs.

We are moving from Houston to Durango and I'm planning to use the boat on the San Juan River. The oars have been ordered and arrive late May/ early June!

Tight lines, see you on the "Juan"!

LRHF

rather be fishing
AG
First fish at the new property.

ccard257
AG
Hell of a start
dr_boogs
AG
Yessir!!!
Badace52
AG
Went out to the steps to see if I could scare up any fish. Didn't keep anything but carp, gar, and gaspergou were in there thick...

CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TarponChaser
Dude, that beard is impressive. I don't have the patience to let my get that long and Mrs. Chaser would certainly withdraw her favor if I let it go that long.
Badace52
AG
Pretty nice carp on a wooly bugger today

Also a colored up sunfish

h1ag
AG
Today was my wedding (currently pooping and having a dip for 10 min. During the reception)

While the females had a brunch, I walked across the street from the venue and fished the lamprey river in Durham NH. Caught my first trout on the fly with a size 18 griffiths gnat. 4 inches and jumped like a son of a *****.

Took it as a good sign for the nuptials. No pics of the fish because I was so excited my hands were shaking and it took three tries to get the hook out. Here was the scenery.
Badace52
AG
Fished Arizona with a buddy of mine... Lots of action

Badace52
AG
Two of the fish my buddy caught on the same trip...

Ayto Siks
Out of all those fish, I like the sunfish the most.
MAROON
AG
love the photos. Heading to Western NC next week for a few weeks or more (thanks remote work option). Can't wait to get out of this blast furnace and do some wet wading.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
LRHF
AG
Not a fish pic but this our new back deck! Just closed on a home in Durango, CO that will serve as home base for many future adventures!

Working on a couple of projects but look forward to getting on the water soon!
tx.ag15
where abouts in arizona?
Badace52
AG
Near Mogollon Rim.
h1ag
AG
Last weekend on the Saco, there were quite a few caddis. Local shop recommended a klinkhammer.

Last night, I sat down at my Orvis beginner tying set and told myself I was going to practice until they looked somewhat decent. I've been having a tough go of accurately predicting my dubbing needs, so I focused on that.

Here are the results (early efforts off to the left)

h1ag
AG
Caught 7 tonight at the local pond and I think this was the biggest. Getting the hang of this fly fishing thing!

Plug pond. Haverhill, MA

rather be fishing
AG
h1ag said:

Last weekend on the Saco, there were quite a few caddis. Local shop recommended a klinkhammer.

Last night, I sat down at my Orvis beginner tying set and told myself I was going to practice until they looked somewhat decent. I've been having a tough go of accurately predicting my dubbing needs, so I focused on that.

Here are the results (early efforts off to the left)

I've learned that a little dubbing goes a long way. Brushing it out helps immensely.

And those does will definitely fish.
LRHF
AG
Did a little fishing this morning on Hermosa Creek with a couple folks I met the other night.

Caught some fish and drank some beer, it was a fun morning. Didn't do a good job of picture taking but super fun helping my friends catch a few fish.

Most on nymphs but spotted a nice cutthroat rising to small flies and caught him on a small parachute Adam's.

Here's a fish pic to brighten your day!

rather be fishing
AG
Wife gave me a float trip for father's day, so I took one of my coworkers up on the Kootenai. We ghosted from Troy over to the Idaho border. We're in the middle of an ridiculous heatwave. We were up to 110 when we got of the water. Managed to catch a few ya, rainbows, whitefish, and even there streamers for poker minnow. Hooked two of those but didn't land them.

We had the time of the year perfect, but low snow pack plus insane heat had things a little off. Most of our fish came on nymphs but we did have a moderate hatch of drakes early and then the caddis came out after lunch.

aggiesherpa
AG
After fly fishing a little growing up, I recently decided to start learning again. Lots of practice is still needed, but sometimes you still get lucky and catch something. Caught these small perch this morning on Bachman Creek near Lovefield in Dallas. First time ever posting pictures, so hopefully this works...

MAROON
AG
Amazing morning on the West fork of the Tuckaseegee in Western Carolina.

LRHF
AG
Finally floated my new (to me) skiff yesterday on the San Juan River.

It was a blast having my mom and wife on the boat for the first float. They had a great time and we even caught some fish. We had a super late start (wife is managing the UPS store here in Durango) and eventually were caught in a very intense rain/ lightening storm.

Melissa caught this fish on a small ant with a sunken emerger trailing. The fish took the dry fly!

MAROON
AG
New toy arrived yesterday. Can't wait to try it on the skinny water tight streams in Western NC.
h1ag
AG
Nice! I just got the same one a few weeks back. I've tried it out once or twice at our local pond, but no trips up into the mountains yet.
aggiedata
AG

LRHF
AG
Fun float on the San Juan River today with dad. Fishing was a bit slow but the float was fun at the low flow rates.

Some nice guys from Tyler, Tx helped out with a shuttle back to Texas Hole.

A great thunderstorm came through Durango this evening! We had dinner at Serious Texas BBQ and had a great hail storm!

Anybody on the river this weekend and want to float the river? Shoot me a text if interested (720) 425-6138 (you buy the beer!)

LRHF

rather be fishing
AG
Finally going to get my pontoon out on the river Saturday. Aired it up this afternoon and it looks like it's holding enough air, although I probably need to eventually give it a real good look. Plan will be to tie upriver as far as I can get and then drift back down. I know there will be some doors I'll have to get out and pull over some riffles.

Really debating if I want to take my nice 4wt or dig out a crappier rod. Will probably friend on how much time I have tomorrow evening. Biggest fish is to not lose any equipment and not flip or sink the pontoon.
aggiesherpa
AG
I will be in Pagosa Springs next week, any good spots to check out for fishing, eating or drinking?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.