Outdoors
Sponsored by

Vasectomy?

192,984 Views | 866 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by fav13andac1)c
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wessimo said:

Made the mistake of opening this thread while in the waiting room this morning.

Went with Dr. Williams. The procedure was painless. We made small talk for 10 minutes and it was over. The hardest part was trying to keep my mind off what was going on down there. The cost was $950 with my high deductible plan.

Preemptively icing the marbles now and wishing there was daytime Olympics coverage on tv.
Did they send you home with any pain meds? Did you need any?
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
hankowitz
So, I've been following this thread as I too am contemplating this big decision. I've been very resistant but slowly have become more and more convinced. Most of the posts are regarding the procedure itself and what to expect, which is helpful and very entertaining (and disturbing). However, one big question that I have is the long-term effects, aside from the obvious. Although I'm not a doctor, it seems logical to assume that when you are doing something to disrupt a working system, there has to be some sort of unintended consequences that come with it. I know that in the past there have been studies exploring the link between cancer, dementia, etc, most of which have largely proved inconclusive but one that seems legit to me is the body having auto-immune response. My question is for those who have lived a number of years post procedure have there been any health changes?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
hankowitz said:

So, I've been following this thread as I too am contemplating this big decision. I've been very resistant but slowly have become more and more convinced. Most of the posts are regarding the procedure itself and what to expect, which is helpful and very entertaining (and disturbing). However, one big question that I have is the long-term effects, aside from the obvious. Although I'm not a doctor, it seems logical to assume that when you are doing something to disrupt a working system, there has to be some sort of unintended consequences that come with it. I know that in the past there have been studies exploring the link between cancer, dementia, etc, most of which have largely proved inconclusive but one that seems legit to me is the body having auto-immune response. My question is for those who have lived a number of years post procedure have there been any health changes?

Since the wife and I are done having kids and I've had the vasectomy, I'm getting laid more often because we don't have always make sure we have to use a rubber like I'm in college again so my mental health and happiness levels are greatly increased.

So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.
wessimo
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

wessimo said:

Made the mistake of opening this thread while in the waiting room this morning.

Went with Dr. Williams. The procedure was painless. We made small talk for 10 minutes and it was over. The hardest part was trying to keep my mind off what was going on down there. The cost was $950 with my high deductible plan.

Preemptively icing the marbles now and wishing there was daytime Olympics coverage on tv.
Did they send you home with any pain meds? Did you need any?

They sent me home with a couple Tylenol pills. I took them but probably would have been ok without. I spent most of the first day in bed, in no small part due to the horror stories in this thread about people overdoing it and ending up with grapefruit. I experienced some minor bleeding the first day but the incision was fully closed up by the next morning. Over the next several days I felt a dull ache at times but not bad enough to take painkillers.

Dr said no vigorous activity for five days and I've followed that instruction. Planning to run tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.
Stive
AG
Nope.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Good to know.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
drummer0415
AG
Question. How long after the procedure should you wait before attempting a nut? Did anybody try to soon and have pain? Trying to play this safe but don't want to wait longer than I need to either.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
maverick2076
I had mine done on the 13th. The bruising is gone, and so is most of the pain, but I'm still occasionally getting a little bit of pain when sitting down or standing up. I worked pretty hard on the house this weekend as we were getting it ready for listing photos, so hopefully by the end of this week I'll be back to normal.
drummer0415
AG
T-1hr. A little nervous now.
planoaggie123
AG
Just had mine done. Laying on the table about to head home.
drummer0415
AG
A coupe seconds of pain but overall not bad. Going home to sit on some peas now.
Cowboy1990
plan on taking advantage of mine again tonight without the worries of what could happen nine months later
bamdvm
drummer0415 said:

Question. How long after the procedure should you wait before attempting a nut? Did anybody try to soon and have pain? Trying to play this safe but don't want to wait longer than I need to either.

I asked the same question of my doctor when he told me he wanted to see a sample of the 10th ejaculate post op to determine if there were any sperm present. He basically said you could start working on it as soon as you felt up to it. Let pain levels be your guide. He said he had one patient that brought in his 10th sample the next day! For me, it was at least a week before I even wanted to think about it.
drummer0415
AG
Asked my doctor while I was there. He said at least 10 days and recommends at least two weeks if possible.
planoaggie123
AG
Mine said 7 days if I remember right. I plan to go about a day or two long on everything (will stay in bed for 2 full days vs 1, won't pick up kids or lift for 8 or so days even though he said 7, etc). Don't want to chance anything.

Discomfort post procedure definitely worse than the actual procedure.

Edit: i do wish now I would have waited for Masters weekend. At least big 10 basketball tournament is on otherwise I would be really annoyed.
Stive
AG
Due to a few "horror" stories around here of them growing back, I show up to the doctors office about every 18 months and get another sample kit. They do free checks going forward and I'm scared to death of another "surprise" showing up.
fido00
AG
sounds like you just want to crank it in a strange place.
drummer0415
AG
FYI you don't have to go to the doctor to check. My doc told me to buy these and test at home.

SpermCheck VASECTOMY 2 Test Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTI0JW2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QhzMAbRQS82MP
AgEng06
AG
Plot twist: The Dr. is his wife.
BlueSmoke
Stive
AG
The clinic here makes us take it home and bring it back. Or maybe that's just the "special" rules for me.
planoaggie123
AG
Following day I feel pretty good. Small little bruise spot. The dull ache seems to be completely gone. I am walking around like I am 90 years old but i don't think I need to be just being extra careful. Going to get out of the house here in a few as I can't stand being couped (spelling?) up. Wish I could pick up my kids but still several days from that.
45-70Ag
AG
Brought in their tenth sample the next day.
Good lord
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Maybe it's different at your house but we have a monthly pregnancy test that comes naturally. While it's no fun it is a nice reminder that all systems are go. Hope it keeps that way

And depending on the method used the chance of regrowth is 1/3000. My guy tripled it up which seems to be the norm
Stive
AG
You think I want to wait for the monthly pregnancy test to come back positive before I figure out that they've grown back?!?!? Nope.

The 1/3000 May be accurate but I know of two guys it's happened to and they, along with the youngest of my four kids, are stark reminders.
Codeno
AG
Had mine done earlier today. I've read this thread in the past but forgot the good and bad stories. I guess that was a good thing because I'm not a fan of needles, blood, or lingering pain.

The shots to the sack were an eye opener but the thing that caught me off guard was all the movement, tugging, etc. that's about the point my doc asked me if I was ok because I was looking a little green. Between wiping the sweat off of my brow every 30 seconds I managed to try my best to make small talk to take my mind off what was going on down there.

It lasted about 15 minutes and wasn't the worst experience I've ever had, but I'm glad I'm done with it. Currently laying on the couch with my feet up and a frozen bag of green beans between my legs. I'd compare the discomfort to a bad case of blue balls or the time where I had a hydrocele and one side of my boys swelled up a bit for a week. It's amazing how a little shock to "the system" can cause so much discomfort. I wouldn't call it pain, just an annoying dull ache.

Looking forward to laying around as much as possible this weekend and reaping the benefits of being sterile.

I'd say I'm on the upper end of the wuss scale when it comes to pain, doctors, needles, and it's honestly not terrible so far so if you're thinking about taking the plunge I'd say go for it and don't think twice.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Reminds me that it is time to test a sample. Fortunately, I can look at my own. One of the perks of the gig.
planoaggie123
AG
Just took my sample in for testing. Was surprised when they said 3 - 5 days on results. Figured it would be a much quicker turnaround...
wessimo
AG
First sample was negative.

Second sample was positive. Wtf?!?

Now have to test twice more since the clinic requires two negative tests in a row.

So help me if I have to do the procedure a second time...
OnlyForNow
AG
I had mine done Friday.

My wife is giving me absolutely zero sympathy, and both my boys are here 3.5 yrs and 3.5 months...

It's great.
planoaggie123
AG
wessimo said:

Now have to test twice more since the clinic requires two negative tests in a row.

What was the timing? I got the all clear on Thursday (one week shy of 3 months) and now you got me worried. They don't require an additional test after 3 months.
wessimo
AG
Procedure was Feb 12 and tests were around May 5 and May 22.
03_Aggie
wessimo said:

Mine went the same way. Studied hard and managed to pass the next two.
planoaggie123
AG
How can you have an all clear and then have some and then get an all clear again? That confuses me some. Could they have mis-read your sample somehow?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.