******* Cowboys Official Season Thread 2024 *******

43,173 Views | 808 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by jr15aggie
shack009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FightinFarrier18 said:

Everything we were worried about in preseason showed up today. No run game, O line getting mauled, poor LB play, then Dak turned into hero Dak at the end. Cowboys have to sign or trade for a true RB1, none of the guys on the roster are the answer

Would be a very unwise move to trade for a running back with all the draft-worthy RBs this year.

Besides, even if Breece Hall was on this team, this game wasn't going to go any differently.
Macarthur
If we do anything we need to use capital on DT.
ramblin_ag02
AG
That was a beating to watch. Luckily it only counts as one loss. The offense didn't look bad. 16 points in the first half is respectable, and I think they scored on every drive. Most games you'll take that and be very happy. In the second half they took and lot more chances and started forcing things, and it blew up in their face.

No clue what to do with this defense. They looked top tier last week. This week you'd have the same results with 11 tackling dummies. 6 touchdowns on 6 drives is pathetic. They looked slightly better at the end, but I think NO let off the gas and went vanilla. I'll be glad to read up on the analysis of the defense during the week by Sturm and others. I don't even know where to start assigning blame for this one other than obviously the DC
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
birdman
This game was a total stinker.

Zimmer didn't seem to believe that Saints could manhandle them. But they kept doing it. I really didn't understand the coaching philosophy today. Stack the box and sell out to stop the run. You might get beat with the pass but defend the run. I don't think it would have won the game, but at least show them something different.
Grapesoda2525
Prison raped. Hardcore. Butt is torn up and will be bleeding for several weeks.
Tksymm7
Macarthur
Lots of snap judgements after week one and then week two swings the opposite direction.

Cowboys will win a lot of games. The thing that bothers me is this was another Shanahan disciple so we still have that dark cloud hanging over this team.
TyHolden
AG
Is Dak married? Any superstars he can bang so the nfl will give us the calls like KC gets all the time now?
aggiebird02
TyHolden said:

Is Dak married? Any superstars he can bang so the nfl will give us the calls like KC gets all the time now?
Rumors for years that he's gay…
TyHolden
AG
aggiebird02 said:

TyHolden said:

Said the same thing about Aikman and Homo.
FightinFarrier18
AG
aggiebird02 said:

TyHolden said:

The people starting those rumors must not have seen his GF, who he has a child with
FightinFarrier18
AG
It's been a week and a half and a rookie QB has not thrown a TD pass yet
Grapesoda2525
Macarthur said:

Lots of snap judgements after week one and then week two swings the opposite direction.

Cowboys will win a lot of games. The thing that bothers me is this was another Shanahan disciple so we still have that dark cloud hanging over this team.
The shanahan tree continues to teabag the crap out of Jerry and this franchise.
Ag Natural
AG
Macarthur said:

If we do anything we need to use capital on DT.

NO was running off tackle and had a couple series where it was literally toss right 10 yards, toss left 10 yards... etc.

We are actually way stronger at DT this season. But our edges are soft as hell and Micah is part of the problem. He should not be our DE in early downs.
jr15aggie
AG
Was Overshown hurt? I was at the game so I didn't get any commentary. But watching it live I sure did see a lot of Damone Clark and no #13.

I also noticed that they put Jordan Lewis outside for our rookie CB. Again, it's sorta hard to tell watching it live, but it sure looked like they really picked on the rookie. I can't remember them throwing at Diggs at all.

Overall... man... Kendricks and everybody else looked completely lost. And as far as their D goes... they were fooled by NOTHING. May not have been obvious on TV, but they were breaking on everything we did right away. Really frustrating to watch. I swear it felt like a rigged game where the other team was told exactly what we were calling.
FightinFarrier18
AG
jr15aggie said:

Was Overshown hurt? I was at the game so I didn't get any commentary. But watching it live I sure did see a lot of Damone Clark and no #13.

I also noticed that they put Jordan Lewis outside for our rookie CB. Again, it's sorta hard to tell watching it live, but it sure looked like they really picked on the rookie. I can't remember them throwing at Diggs at all.

Overall... man... Kendricks and everybody else looked completely lost. And as far as their D goes... they were fooled by NOTHING. May not have been obvious on TV, but they were breaking on everything we did right away. Really frustrating to watch. I swear it felt like a rigged game where the other team was told exactly what we were calling.
Overshown was out there a good bit
DannyDuberstein
AG
He played. He just sucked too
Ag Natural
AG
Overshown was out there getting manhandled as well. I had no idea why we weren't throwing some creative run blitzes. The only play I recall an aggressive blitz was the screen pass TD. Did Zimmer get gun shy? Mixing in CBs and Safeties coming off the edge is how you slow down a good ground game. I saw NONE of that.
jr15aggie
AG
To elaborate on my post, I was a safety back in the day and I was pretty good at seeing the whole field and knowing where the offense was going.

Watching games live I use safety eyes... and boy... the Saints were moving towards our ball on almost every single play. The only play I recall where we "got em" was in the 3rd Q on a swing pass to Zeke... Zeke woulda walked in and Dak threw it in the dirt. Otherwise, they jumped every play we ran.

On the opposite side, geez, a ton of hesitation by our back end defenders. Couple that with a front 4 that got dominated... well... a team that scored TDs at will is what you get.

The only comfort I can give is the Saints looked like a team playing in the SB and Dallas looked like a team pacing itself for a long season. I still think Dallas will win a lot of games and the Saints won't maintain this all season long. Just a terrible match up for us... here's hoping we bounce back.
Poot
jr15aggie said:

It looked like they picked our play in Tecmo Super Bowl every play.
jr15aggie
AG
Ag Natural said:

Overshown was out there getting manhandled as well. I had no idea why we weren't throwing some creative run blitzes. The only play I recall an aggressive blitz was the screen pass TD. Did Zimmer get gun shy?

Yeah man... again... it's much different watching the games live. Its so different than TV. But yeah, it looked to me like we spent the entire game sitting back and the Saints owned us.

Against the Browns we mixed it up and attacked. Really really frustrating. Wreckless guessing would have at least stopped them a couple times. Sitting on our heels the entire game was instant death.
FightinFarrier18
AG
Bears demonstrating why you pay good QBs
FightinFarrier18
AG
2 weeks without a rookie QB passing TD
Raiderjay
Macarthur
Not that the Musers are great analysts, but I think they brought up some good points this morning as it relates to Parsons.

I'm beginning to think he's the common link in all these defensive collapses. He's very dynamic but very undisciplined. And these Shanahan offenses will use that undisciplined play against you.

In the short term, does the Dallas staff have the balls to sit him some either early in game and/or clear running downs and use him more in passing situations?

In the long term, is this a guy we need to make the most expensive defensive player in the history of the NFL?
DannyDuberstein
AG
They absolutely have to move on from Micah for picks. I don't think it is as much lack of discipline as it is that he's just too small to set the edge in the running game vs an NFL tackle. Over and over, you see these tackles lock him up and neutralize him in the runs to his side. I didn't see him really overrunning things or being in the wrong position. I mainly just see him getting swallowed

I also think it's partly why he wears down by December. He's giving up close to 100lbs every week
Macarthur
Another interesting point

Southlake
Many young sharp QBs available thru the draft that won't blow your salary cap. Richardson, Stroud, Fields, Lawrence, etc. Maybe Penix?

Ironically, the problem is that the Cowboys do just well enough that they cant get a QB with a low enough pick and are mired. A team just about has to tank to get a valuable talented qb in the draft. Or make an aggressive trade for a low pick - something Jerry won't do. Not sure his sense of reality is really there; can't he admit that Mazi is a bust? Trey Lance is a bust? Move on instead of trying to prove he's right? Parsons is slipping, can we get a #1 for him?

Where was Lamb in the second half?

Welcome to stagnation - unless you're satisfied with a great season followed by no play off success.

Sorry venting. Jerry will get worse and nobody can tell him anything.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'm certainly not panicking after one game especially since its game 2, but the fact they have another DC who can't stop the same offense that destroyed them in the playoffs is not good. NO did whatever they wanted yesterday without any hint of slowing down. Ravens coming in 0-2 so you know they'll be doing everything they can to win. Gotta be ready.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, they mostly have a personnel problem in the front 7, not a schematic one. Setting the edge and hitting the right run fits aggressively/effectively is just football 101 and this personnel really struggles to do it. You can try run blitz bandaids and stacking the box, but in a pass friendly league, you are inevitably going to get toasted if you have to rely on those tools to stop the run
jr15aggie
AG
Definitely not panic time yet. We still have all the ingredients to be a playoff team.

And this game was a firm reminder, just get in and we'll see what happens. It's the NFL and you can win or lose on any given Sunday. A lot of our success is going to, as always, depend on our health and the health of the teams we are playing come January.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

Definitely not panic time yet. We still have all the ingredients to be a playoff team.

And this game was a firm reminder, just get in and we'll see what happens. It's the NFL and you can win or lose on any given Sunday. A lot of our success is going to, as always, depend on our health and the health of the teams we are playing come January.
So true. New Orleans looks very good at full strength. But many of their key players are pretty dang old.
Macarthur

jr15aggie
AG
Ag Natural said:

jr15aggie said:

So true. New Orleans looks very good at full strength. But many of their key players are pretty dang old.

Yup. If anything the game was a reminder to just enjoy the season... we are going to win some games and win some convincingly.

I just don't need to go into the playoffs with "we are definitely going to win" expectations. That's what happened before the GB game.... I won't be making that mistake again anytime soon.
jr15aggie
AG
And I'll tell you fellas what pisses me off almost more than the Cowboys loss.... friggin Mahomes threw for 151 yards and 2 picks and his team won the damn game!!!

That PI called against Cincy on 4th & 16 to win the game... that NEVER..... NNNNEEEEVVVEERRRR... would have been called in favor of a pass from Dak Prescott in that same situation.

It's just such BS and it makes it worse when my TX Tech brother in law (who is supposed to be a Cowboys fan) spends every Sunday texting me how bad Dak is and how Mahomes is the greatest QB that the world has ever seen.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.