*** THE LAST OF US *** (Non-Gamer Thread)

180,810 Views | 2419 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by jokershady
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cbr said:

1) 'critics' are usually paid shills or hollywood insiders, i assume?
2) why do you think the public ratings are not honest? Do they bot or otherwise rig them?

If the public rates an episode that hasn't been released yet, how honest can those ratings be?
Saxsoon
AG
cbr said:

1) 'critics' are usually paid shills or hollywood insiders, i assume?
2) why do you think the public ratings are not honest? Do they bot or otherwise rig them?

You can't be serious
cbr
AG
Madmarttigan said:

It is common practice these days for people to go in a review blast certain shows with 1/10 or 1 star ratings despite not actually watching.

LotR for black dwarves, WoT for a diverse cast and gay characters, and I'm sure the Little Mermaid movie will get the same treatment. I'm sure there are others that I haven't put attention to.
Bizzare. Why tf would people spend time doing **** like that…

All i know is critics are usually full of **** on rotten tomatoes or imdb, but the popular vote tends to correlate a little bit with whether i like something.
Madmarttigan
AG
Yeah it's kind of why I'm annoyed I just want to know if a show is good so I usually followed public reviews but now even those are being ruined.
DallasTeleAg
Madmarttigan said:

Yeah it's kind of why I'm annoyed I just want to know if a show is good so I usually followed public reviews but now even those are being ruined.
I mean... I get it and agree with you. But realistically, do you think those people who rated it that way because of those reasons wouldn't just wait until the day it was released and then rate it the same?

You can call it a rating bomb, but it's a direct reaction to the material of the show/movie/etc. The fact is Hollywood has been very loud about what they want to do, and that agenda is directly opposed by at least 20-30% of this country.
Madmarttigan
AG
Yeah but it's not a reaction based on merit, people are rating without watching?

And even if they did watch it I strongly disagree with people posting political reviews one way or another. You have anti-woke and woke going at it instead of actually talking about the acting/writing/story/production.

It goes both ways, things used to get negative reviews for white washing by the woke crowd and now we are getting the opposite happening. It's ridiculous across the board.
Rudyjax
AG
AggieUSMC said:

Am I the only one who thought episode 3 was just boring and pointless?

I get why the Hollywood left are fawning over it but it didn't advance the plot in any way. Zombie apocalypse shows are supposed to be about murder and mayhem not post apocalyptic Brokeback Mountain.

I'm not sure if this show is all murder and mayhem. I hope it's not as that was a great episode. As an old, I don't mind episodic television.
FL_Ag1998
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Madmarttigan said:

I mean... I get it and agree with you. But realistically, do you think those people who rated it that way because of those reasons wouldn't just wait until the day it was released and then rate it the same?

You can call it a rating bomb, but it's a direct reaction to the material of the show/movie/etc. The fact is Hollywood has been very loud about what they want to do, and that agenda is directly opposed by at least 20-30% of this country.

This particular case is not rating the overall show, its rating each particular episode. So your argument is that because people disliked episode 3 its perfectly logical and OK for them to pre-emptively rate episode 4 extremely low? Without having seen it and solely as a reaction to episode 3?

That makes no sense.

Review bombing of an episode you haven't seen simply because you disliked the overtones of the previous episode is juvenile.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Even the ratings of episode 3 is an example of review bombing.

It was in the high 9's for a few hours after airing until the 1 star review bombers started. That's not based on the quality of the episode at all, but simply trying to tank the score based on someone's personal feelings about seeing LGBT in their content.

An honest review that actually took into consideration the overall story, acting, and quality of the episode in general could be at least in the 5-7 range, but they are specifically trying to tank the average.

(And this is assuming the 1 stars actually watched the show.)
Saxsoon
AG
I don't think Bill and Frank was a PERFECT episode of television, but it sure as **** isn't a 1 either.
DallasTeleAg
FL_Ag1998 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Madmarttigan said:

This particular case is not rating the overall show, its rating each particular episode. So your argument is that because people disliked episode 3 its perfectly logical and OK for them to pre-emptively rate episode 4 extremely low? Without having seen it and solely as a reaction to episode 3?

That makes no sense.

Review bombing of an episode you haven't seen simply because you disliked the overtones of the previous episode is juvenile.
Funny you mention logic in a response that makes a logical leap in reasoning from my statement.

You could say my posts says it's logical for people to dislike the episode due to the agenda. I never said it was "ok". But then saying something is "OK" would require defining what "ok" means in this situation. Someone has the right to rate an episode based on any criteria they choose, unless you were to display the criteria these rankings are requesting the viewers use to rate it, and then make an argument the reviewer did not follow those criteria.

It makes absolute sense. But you don't want to be logical, you just want to virtue signal and just argue with me, though I said nothing controversial.
Madmarttigan
AG
Na you're being an argumentative dumbass. Rating a show you haven't seen makes absolutely no sense.
DallasTeleAg
Madmarttigan said:

Na you're being an argumentative dumbass. Rating a show you haven't seen makes absolutely no sense.
Lol... I literally said I agree with you but to complain about ratings before something comes out is silly because the exact same people would most likely rate it the same after the airing.

Some of yall are just so quick to want to jump on anyone who doesn't celebrate what yall celebrate. Yall are incapable of having a real conversation.
Prosperdick
AG
Saxsoon said:

I don't think Bill and Frank was a PERFECT episode of television, but it sure as **** isn't a 1 either.
I'm like Sean Fennessey from Rewatchables...I think all scores are BS and don't give two ****s about them.

That being said, it says a whole hell of a lot more about a person giving the show a 1 than it does about the show itself.
FL_Ag1998
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Madmarttigan said:

That makes no sense.

Funny you mention logic in a response that makes a logical leap in reasoning from my statement.

You could say my posts says it's logical for people to dislike the episode due to the agenda. I never said it was "ok". But then saying something is "OK" would require defining what "ok" means in this situation. Someone has the right to rate an episode based on any criteria they choose, unless you were to display the criteria these rankings are requesting the viewers use to rate it, and then make an argument the reviewer did not follow those criteria.

It makes absolute sense. But you don't want to be logical, you just want to virtue signal and just argue with me, though I said nothing controversial.

Holy crap, hahahahaha. Virtue signal? About public ratings on Rotten Tomatoes? Remember, this is about an episode we don't even know the subject matter of, much less the acting, writing, and directing skill level of. How the hell can I virtue signal about a subject that hasn't been expressed yet?

You still make no sense, but by all means, don't give up!
FL_Ag1998
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Madmarttigan said:

Lol... I literally said I agree with you but to complain about ratings before something comes out is silly because the exact same people would most likely rate it the same after the airing.

Some of yall are just so quick to want to jump on anyone who doesn't celebrate what yall celebrate. Yall are incapable of having a real conversation.

Celebrate what?! An episode that we haven't even seen yet?! Lol.
DallasTeleAg
Just because something upsets you doesn't mean it makes no sense.
Saxsoon
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Madmarttigan said:

That makes no sense.

Oh yeah, super logical to rate an episode BEFORE IT COMES OUT
DallasTeleAg
I was actually referring to people ranking the episode low due to the agenda, not specifically the rating before the episode airs.

But this constant reach for "logic" and "sense" yall keep bringing up is over something subjective, therefore appealing to logic is completely ridiculous. You can't claim "illogical" without identifying the premises and conclusion of the argument, and then proving why they are illogical. Simply disagreeing with a premise does not make a conclusion of an argument illogical.

So surprised some of yall graduated from college without understanding basic logic. And all Madmarttigan could do was fall back to ad hominem, as most of you do.
FL_Ag1998
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

So surprised some of yall graduated from college without understanding basic logic. And all Madmarttigan could do was fall back to ad hominem, as most of you do.

The irony and lack of self-awareness continues to be hilarious.
DallasTeleAg
FL_Ag1998 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

The irony and lack of self-awareness continues to be hilarious.
About as hilarious as your inability to provide an actual argument?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
DTA is saying that it's not a big deal that people are review bombing an episode early, because their confirmation bias was going to have them bomb it anyway, regardless of if it's out or not.

I disagree with this, as I think it's perfectly fine complaining about people trying to push their agenda on a show. God knows we had enough people doing the same thing when they are saying the show was pushing an agenda on the viewers. It's fine to discuss whether or not the writers were, and then what the actual intent of the agenda was, even if it gets tiring after days and days of the same conversation. But it's a little hypocritical to me to then turn around and do the same thing, when your only agenda is to f around with with a tool people use because you are angry.

Bottom line, every ranking system is spotty at best, and all have their flaws. But stupid people can ruin anything if you allow them to.
DallasTeleAg
Yes. That is what I'm saying.

Granted, I'm personally not in favor of this and wouldn't do it myself. I can separate the art from the artist with most things, and can both appreciate writing, characters, plot, etc, while still not appreciating a particular agenda. As I've mentioned before, everyone has their limit to what they are willing to put up with. I'm more willing to put up with things I disagree with if the overall show or movie is actually good.

This is why I let my Disney+ sub lapse and didn't renew it during She-Hulk, but have not even come close to even considering to do the same with HBO Max. Though, I do have to admit I did not appreciate reading the comments from the production crew talking about "tricking" the audience into watching it.

I think a point to bring up is there are definitely people who will inflate the rankings because of the message, just like there are those who will try to tank it. The hyperbole from some in the media claiming this was one of the best things to ever happen to TV (this being the last episode) are going to make up for the rating bombs. Now, one can argue to what extent that is.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Is it showtime yet?
BowSowy
AG
Truth. Not sure why I even bother checking this thread during the week. It's an extra **** show.
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

And all Madmarttigan could do was fall back to ad hominem, as most of you do.[

double aught
AG
Each Sunday I naively think the discussion will go back to the content of the show, but these dorks won't get on board.
Rudyjax
AG
I just got the irony of people being upset by that episode.

What'll be higher?

Human death by zombies or gay sex scenes?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Is it showtime yet?

Dude, for real. Ep 3 did a number on this board and I think we all need a palette cleanser.
Goldie Wilson
Anybody know what time the new episode is available on HBO Max? I tried to google but then a lot of the results looked potentially spoilery
TCTTS
AG
In 48 minutes. HBO's Sunday night dramas always drop at 9 PM Eastern.
Goldie Wilson
TCTTS said:

In 48 minutes. HBO's Sunday night dramas always drop at 9 PM Eastern.
Muchas gracias
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll still f with some Chef Boyardee.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Joel and Ellie relationship is really growing on me.
JDUB08AG
AG
Runs through your genes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.