*** THE LAST OF US *** (Non-Gamer Thread)

180,820 Views | 2419 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by jokershady
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Or at least give us the sequence I was waiting for. Ellie obviously is immune, so as they wait out their final moments together, eventually the friend turns and Ellie doesn't. Ellie would have to fight her off in some way, probably struggling with not wanting to kill her b/c she still sees her as best friend/crush. Kills her off and then has to deal with thinking she's still going to turn...
aTmAg
AG
One thing they did on Walking Dead is that if you get bit on your hand, they can chop off your arm and you can be saved. That seems even more likely to work on this show than that one. I wonder why nobody ever tries it.
Rudyjax
AG
Quinn said:

beagle2009 said:

Thought this episode was good, not great. Was happy they addressed how Ellie got bit which was never explained previously. Those whining need to take a chill pill.

They had said in episode 1 or 2 that she was bitten in the mall, so we knew where it happened, just not the full detail. I wish they would have shown how she was captured and brought in by the fireflies if they were going to spend an entire episode on that story. I didn't hate the episode, just thought it was okay. Could have done half an episode focused on the flash back and half on the current story line.
Agreed.

But anytime a TV show has Pearl Jam, I cannot dislike it no matter what.
hurleyag
AG
AggieOO said:

Or at least give us the sequence I was waiting for. Ellie obviously is immune, so as they wait out their final moments together, eventually the friend turns and Ellie doesn't. Ellie would have to fight her off in some way, probably struggling with not wanting to kill her b/c she still sees her as best friend/crush. Kills her off and then has to deal with thinking she's still going to turn...

Even with the dragged out back story, they still left out how the Fireflies tie her up to observe if she turns.
aTmAg
AG
hurleyag said:

AggieOO said:

Even with the dragged out back story, they still left out how the Fireflies tie her up to observe if she turns.
Totally agree. I couldn't give a rats ass about them taking pictures of themselves or playing Mortal Combat. Show the important part of the story on how Ellie ended up chained up for 3 weeks. Surely they didn't do that to EVERYBODY. Now I assume they will spend time in a future episode on that, when they could have explained it all here.
schmendeler
AG
I'm convinced some of you think cliff notes are just as good as reading the book.

If you don't want to watch the whole story, wait till season two is about to start and just watch a recap on YouTube. Then you can just enjoy the parts you think are important.
double aught
AG
Mortal Kombat II and A-ha in the same episode? Not sure what else some of you people need.
hurleyag
AG
I don't need cliff notes, but they could have ended it with only Ellie getting bit and her friends tying her up to try and save her. This leads her to see Ellie isn't turning in the normal time frame and she reports that to her supervisor. This decision is the reasoning why Ellie won't give up on Joel despite what looks like a mortal wound.
aTmAg
AG
schmendeler said:

I'm convinced some of you think cliff notes are just as good as reading the book.

If you don't want to watch the whole story, wait till season two is about to start and just watch a recap on YouTube. Then you can just enjoy the parts you think are important.
All I ask is they leave out the non-compelling and useless part of the story out. Like what if they showed her brushing her hair for 20 minutes? Would you accuse haters for wanting the cliff notes version?
CoolAggie
AG
double aught said:

Mortal Kombat II and A-ha in the same episode? Not sure what else some of you people need.

Shout out to The Cure as well.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Ellie makes so much damn noise everywhere she goes. That's what annoys me about this show. You'd think you'd try to be as quiet as possible in this world.
This - and they (everyone on the show) have no flashlight "discipline". Waving the lights around at windows when they are supposed to be sneaking through buildings etc.
cbr
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

Ellie makes so much damn noise everywhere she goes. That's what annoys me about this show. You'd think you'd try to be as quiet as possible in this world.
This - and they (everyone on the show) have no flashlight "discipline". Waving the lights around at windows when they are supposed to be sneaking through buildings etc.

and who the hell is making batteries after 20 years anyway?
cbr
AG
hurleyag said:

AggieOO said:

surely we will see that later.

somehow they have to find both girls together, not kill them, watch one turn, and then not kill the other, then start wondering why she didnt turn, then put her on watch.

BowSowy
AG
cbr said:

hurleyag said:

AggieOO said:

surely we will see that later.

somehow they have to find both girls together, not kill them, watch one turn, and then not kill the other, then start wondering why she didnt turn, then put her on watch.

They really don't need to do most of that. If we even see this whole interaction, I'd bet the fireflies show up after the other girl has turned and Ellie has killed her. They noticed Ellie has been bitten but has not turned, then take her for observation
cbr
AG
overall it was a just an ok episode.

the whole Joel aspect of it really went nowhere and made no sense and was pretty poorly done...

the whole flashback was not great and too long.

the dead guy looked like some sort of low budget star trek character, goofy.

In cleaning animals, i've never tried to stick a knife through a skull, but i may try it.... bottom line, i dont think a small girl with a cheap switchblade is putting it into a spinal cord that easy. any thoughts on that?

clearly the fungus only infects straight people because every single person left is gay.... eyeroll.

other than that, i get the sort of nostalgia/friend flashback if it had been done a little better and not lasted so long.
aTmAg
AG
Also, it is not likely sewing up Joel's wound is going to fix him. They need antibiotics. He got stabbed by a part of a wooden bat where people put their hands all over. That is not going to be sterile by any stretch.
f burg ag
AG
Is there any doubt that Ellie kills the girl? She told Joel that she had killed a person before but did not want to talk about it. Based on the time line (assuming she gets caught and tied up by Fireflys next), it would have to be the girl she was talking about.
Phrasing
AG
f burg ag said:

Is there any doubt that Ellie kills the girl? She told Joel that she had killed a person before but did not want to talk about it. Based on the time line (assuming she gets caught and tied up by Fireflys next), it would have to be the girl she was talking about.
I would think so (Ellie killing Riley). I just really hope we get to see it. If not, they missed a huge opportunity for a gut wrenching "sam" type scene. Would have been just another tremendous episode that finished tragically, all while filling in a lot of Ellie's past that we have been speculating about. With Bill and Frank, we got the whole story, start to finish and they did a beautiful job with it. With this episode we are left guessing and it was a miss for me, unless they finish the story with parallel flashbacks in the last two episodes.

The other big question mark is how she gets tied up with the Fireflys - they need to close that loop as well, as others have said. Riley was telling her about this Marlene person who was the leader of the Fireflys in this episode. My guess is Ellie is forced to kill Riley, then is stunned when she doesn't turn and wonders what to do next. She seeks out Marlene and tells her the story. Marlene doesn't trust her so she ties her up to make sure she is truly immune. With all that, we would be right back to where the season started.

Again, think it was a miss to not tell the whole story, whatever that story is. Episode had too much filler and could have really shined if they showed more back story and closed the loop. Crossing my fingers they button everything up in the last two episodes.
Ol Jock 99
AG
After listening to the podcast, it makes a lot more sense why they used a whole episode on this storyline. I still think they could/should have compressed it a bit, but it make more sense.

Not a spoiler really, but hey...There was an expansion to the original game that was this story
C@LAg
Ol Jock 99 said:

After listening to the podcast, it makes a lot more sense why they used a whole episode on this storyline. I still think they could/should have compressed it a bit, but it make more sense.

Not a spoiler really, but hey...There was an expansion to the original game that was this story
just because it existed as DLC is irrelevant to good story telling. that does not justify a whole episode dedicated to it.
Phrasing
AG
I think it would have been fine as a whole episode, just cut out all the filler and give us more of the story.

-How did Ellie and Riley meet?
-How did Ellie end up in Fedra School
-Where is Ellie from?
-What happens after they get bit?
-How does Ellie end up chained up?

Dedicate 20 minutes or so answering those questions and condense the mall scenes. Instantly better.

Quinn
AG
Those last two should have been answered. Not sure that we needed a meet cute scene - they obviously meet at school. Ellie is an orpan, right? Pretty sure they said that previously.
C@LAg
the circumstances of her bite and rescue should have been addressed earlier in the story with Joel. Any suspicious normal person (Joel) would have demanded an explanation of how they got to that point before agreeing to go any further with her.

The additional details of her relationship and what happened to Riley could have been addressed later, say when Ellie is caring for Joel. In a moment of vulnerability demonstrating how their relationship is growing, she opens up to him with those details. Keeping it brief - maybe 15 or so minutes.

provides lore, character building, and addresses pacing.

boom.

pacing solved.
Saxsoon
AG
C@LAg said:

the circumstances of her bite and rescue should have been addressed earlier in the story with Joel. Any suspicious normal person (Joel) would have demanded an explanation of how they got to that point before agreeing to go any further with her.

The additional details of her relationship and what happened to Riley could have been addressed later, say when Ellie is caring for Joel. In a moment of vulnerability demonstrating how their relationship is growing, she opens up to him with those details. Keeping it brief - maybe 15 or so minutes.

boom.

pacing solved.
They didn't know she was immune until after she was bit again I thought and long after leaving the fireflies
C@LAg
Saxsoon said:

C@LAg said:

boom.

pacing solved.
They didn't know she was immune until after she was bit again I thought and long after leaving the fireflies
edited: does not contradict my point . a careful/paranoid person like Joel would have demanded a FULL explanation before going further . And that is where a lot of this could have been explained.
beanbean
I still can't get past this......."Hey, didn't they drive all the clickers into the mall and lock it down." "Yeah well, I didn't see any in there." Proceeds to turn on all the lights, crank some tunes, dance on counter tops, play video games and be loud as fk. Clicker wakes up and attacks them. They deserved to get bit.
Saxsoon
AG
C@LAg said:

Saxsoon said:

C@LAg said:

boom.

pacing solved.
edited: does not contradict my point . a careful/paranoid person like Joel would have demanded a FULL explanation before going further . And that is where a lot of this could have been explained.
Maybe there was something irrational because he needed them to get to Tommy

MAYBE
Rudyjax
AG
beanbean said:

I still can't get past this......."Hey, didn't they drive all the clickers into the mall and lock it down." "Yeah well, I didn't see any in there." Proceeds to turn on all the lights, crank some tunes, dance on counter tops, play video games and be loud as fk. Clicker wakes up and attacks them. They deserved to get bit.

Was that a clicker?
beanbean
Chuck Cunningham said:

beanbean said:

Was that a clicker?
Is there a difference? If so, I missed that.
jokershady
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

beanbean said:

Was that a clicker?
No
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't get too hung up on plot holes, but it was pretty ridiculous that they have a "post" in the mall, but that infected and the fungi it was surrounded by wasn't exactly hard to find. I also think basically all indoor malls had glass panels in the ceiling for natural light.

Also LOL at the Firefly job relocation program. I wonder if they have Cartus manage it.
aTmAg
AG
C@LAg said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

just because it existed as DLC is irrelevant to good story telling. that does not justify a whole episode dedicated to it.
What is DLC?
aTmAg
AG
beanbean said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

beanbean said:

Was that a clicker?
Is there a difference? If so, I missed that.
Clickers are the ones that are blind who use clicking noises with their mouth to echo-locate stuff.
C@LAg
aTmAg said:

C@LAg said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

What is DLC?
downloaded content. extensions or additions to a game proving more content. usually added post-release.
aTmAg

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.