*** THE LAST OF US *** (Non-Gamer Thread)

180,817 Views | 2419 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by jokershady
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Macarthur said:

Really enjoying the show.

Also, I only went back a couple of pages, but man, some folks must live a miserable life to get so easily triggered by such things.
to be fair...the outrage of people expressing the homo kissing made them uncomfortable/annoyed them has been a fraction of the outrage of people telling them they shouldnt feel uncomfortable/annoyed.

works both ways

Urban Ag
AG
I like this take. It was mine as well. It added so much to the depth and emotion of the episode. It's tragic and yet honestly a celebration of a life well lived/loved.

It's also why it is quite common that when an elderly person passes their spouse passes next relatively soon.
gigemJTH12
AG
I like the take but also I cant imagine having an appetite knowing I am going to die in an hour
AgE2theBONE
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Macarthur said:

Also, I only went back a couple of pages, but man, some folks must live a miserable life to get so easily triggered by such things.
to be fair...the outrage of people expressing the homo kissing made them uncomfortable/annoyed them has been a fraction of the outrage of people telling them they shouldnt feel uncomfortable/annoyed.

works both ways

No, not really. It's 50-50.

But I absolutely do wish we could let people express their displeasure at seeing homosexuality/multiracial/whatever and just move along, because it's the calling them homophobic or racist or intolerant or conspiracy theorists or whatever that leads to 1000 posts about stuff that has nothing to do with the show.

Like this one.
Urban Ag
AG
I can. He specifically asked Bill for the perfect day on his last day. It seemed pretty clear that cooking was Bill's thing, Frank loved it, and it needed to be part of that perfect day.

Two other quick points.

I think both Frank and Bill viewed this as a mercy killing, not a suicide. I am assuming we were to assume that Frank had cancer, was in terrible pain, clearly terminal, and carried guilt about Bill spending all of his time caring for him.

Second point. Think it was great that Bill did not even hint at taking his own life afterwards. Hence, Pascal finds the note before the viewer knows it has happened. Frank could no longer burden Bill. But to Bill it was not a burden at all. And in return, Bill would never let Frank know in his last moments that he planned on ending his life as well. Which can also be argued, at that point, was a mercy killing.
AgE2theBONE
AG
Urban Ag said:

I can. He specifically asked Bill for the perfect day on his last day. It seemed pretty clear that cooking was Bill's thing, Frank loved it, and it needed to be part of that perfect day.

Two other quick points.

I think both Frank and Bill viewed this as a mercy killing, not a suicide. I am assuming we were to assume that Frank had cancer, was in terrible pain, clearly terminal, and carried guilt about Bill spending all of his time caring for him.

Second point. Think it was great that Bill did not even hint at taking his own life afterwards. Hence, Pascal finds the note before the viewer knows it has happened. Frank could no longer burden Bill. But to Bill it was not a burden at all. And in return, Bill would never let Frank know in his last moments that he planned on ending his life as well. Which can also be argued, at that point, was a mercy killing.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Bill made perfectly clear he was dying with Frank.

He told Frank that he'd put a bunch of crushed pills in the bottle of wine, itself. Enough to kill a horse, he said, and mentions it's not a tragic suicide at the end of the play, but that he's satisfied, basically content to die with Frank.

The viewer knew full well they were both dead.
Quad Dog
AG
Her going into the basement showed you a lot about her character. She's not scared of the zombies, she's a poor decision maker, curious to a fault, willing to poke a hornet's nest, etc.
Macarthur
AgE2theBONE said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Macarthur said:

works both ways

But I absolutely do wish we could let people express their displeasure at seeing homosexuality/multiracial/whatever and just move along, because it's the calling them homophobic or racist or intolerant or conspiracy theorists or whatever that leads to 1000 posts about stuff that has nothing to do with the show.

Like this one.

Ok, so let me make sure I understand. You think we should not push back on folks that express "discomfort" w multiracial relationships? Displeasure is the word you used.

The homosexuality one is a bit of a diff talking point. I suspect there is some "natural" response to being uncomfortable but I also think that's because of our conditioning. I know my kids have zero uncomfortableness in seeing same sex affection on TV. So, we have to ask ourselves why do we feel that uncomfortableness.
GreasenUSA
AG
Urban Ag said:

Yeah, you might want to watch the dinner table scene again.
HtownAg92
AG
Great episode. I had a quick "here we go" during the bedroom scene, but didn't let it ruin the otherwise fantastic episode for me. Loved the prepping montage.

As for the raider attack, I was surprised that he had not prepped a protected sniper nest for such an occasion.
Urban Ag
AG
GreasenUSA said:

Urban Ag said:

Yeah, you might want to watch the dinner table scene again.
My apologies to both of you. Somehow I missed that. I think by that point my mind was racing between memories of stuff going on in my life and the show. My bad.
AgE2theBONE
AG
Macarthur said:

AgE2theBONE said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Macarthur said:

works both ways

Like this one.

Ok, so let me make sure I understand. You think we should not push back on folks that express "discomfort" w multiracial relationships? Displeasure is the word you used.

The homosexuality one is a bit of a diff talking point. I suspect there is some "natural" response to being uncomfortable but I also think that's because of our conditioning. I know my kids have zero uncomfortableness in seeing same sex affection on TV. So, we have to ask ourselves why do we feel that uncomfortableness.

You're correct. "Pushing back" on this forum accomplishes nothing, except to derail the hell out of a thread, as it devolves to endless back and forth with each side becoming more firmly entrenched.

And while I know people like to think they're confronting bigotry and contributing to mankind's enlightenment, not only is that a ridiculously unrealistic expectation in a setting like this, it's also a rationalization for just being plain self righteous and enjoying feeling superior to someone else by mocking their bigotry--however genuinely bigoted they may be.

And speaking of unrealistic expectations, I hold out precisely zero hope that anything is going to change because of my 2 cents. But I do wish we'd just let it go when somebody says something really bigoted or intolerant, just as I wish we'd ignore the constantly negative posts that come out of the woodwork when the football/basketball/baseball teams are playing poorly, because the same thing happens, we end up with ten thousand back-and-forth posts that have nothing to do with the game, but instead just posters calling each other out.

Macarthur
Fair enough. I respect your hope but if someone says something really awful, I suspect they will get called out for it.
cbr
AG
what's funny is that absolutely zero, no one, not one person here ever said anything bigoted whatsoever.

people are just programmed to go there, and they follow their programming very well.
Swarely
AgE2theBONE
AG
cbr said:

what's funny is that absolutely zero, no one, not one person here ever said anything bigoted whatsoever.

people are just programmed to go there, and they follow their programming very well.

Wearing out that F5 button, aren't you?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DallasTeleAg
Macarthur said:

Is this a genuine question you want to answered? On this thread? These are types of posts that keep the derailment going. And then someone will say my post is keeping the thread derailed because I am apparently not allowed to respond to others without getting shouted at.

"We" don't have to ask "ourselves" anything. You may ask why others think or feel something, but you probably already know and are just waiting for a chance to attack someone else's belief structure because you believe yours to be the true righteous way of thinking.

I know my worldviews and have spent 35 years developing them, understanding them, and accepting them. No one on a TexAgs thread, especially the self-righteous ones here, are going to convince about anything. My tolerance for watching certain acts is my own. I'm not preaching on this thread about the the depravity of homosexuals because I believe in the depravity of all man and do not think any worse of homosexuals than I do of anyone else. However, it doesn't mean I have to celebrate something and give thunderous applause when I see it portrayed.

I also will not be shouted down on a discussion thread if that subject is being discussed. That is not who I am, nor has it ever been who I am. I can guarantee you that, were this all being done in person, I would say the exact same things.
Macarthur
You're right that this forum is prob not the right time or place, but I will say that I think our society has dealt with many of these issues through art.
DallasTeleAg
Macarthur said:

You're right that this forum is prob not the right time or place, but I will say that I think our society has dealt with many of these issues through art.
I agree up to the point of humanizing people and getting the populace to look at those who are different as human beings to be respected.

This is why I enjoyed most of this episode. The episode wasn't really about them being gay, it was about the human experience and importance of companionship. This is something I believe all people can understand and it humanizes the characters.
TCTTS
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Macarthur said:

Is this a genuine question you want to answered? On this thread? These are types of posts that keep the derailment going. And then someone will say my post is keeping the thread derailed because I am apparently not allowed to respond to others without getting shouted at.

"We" don't have to ask "ourselves" anything. You may ask why others think or feel something, but you probably already know and are just waiting for a chance to attack someone else's belief structure because you believe yours to be the true righteous way of thinking.

I know my worldviews and have spent 35 years developing them, understanding them, and accepting them. No one on a TexAgs thread, especially the self-righteous ones here, are going to convince about anything. My tolerance for watching certain acts is my own. I'm not preaching on this thread about the the depravity of homosexuals because I believe in the depravity of all man and do not think any worse of homosexuals than I do of anyone else. However, it doesn't mean I have to celebrate something and give thunderous applause when I see it portrayed.

I also will not be shouted down on a discussion thread if that subject is being discussed. That is not who I am, nor has it ever been who I am. I can guarantee you that, were this all being done in person, I would say the exact same things.

I've been doing my best to be more civil, and more agreeable, so I don't want to start anything, but I have to interject on this particular point and say that literally no one is demanding you/asking you to "celebrate" homosexuality, diversity, etc. Sure, some Hollywood SJW might, in their acceptance speech or whatever, but no one here is asking this of you or anyone else. All we want is for people to *not* bring their *negative* views on homosexuality to this thread, simply because those views are almost always either religious or political in nature, and would thus be "better" expressed on the respective boards devoted to those topics. No one here cares how much someone squirmed during a scene in which two men kissed, and no one wants to hear rants about "agendas" and "groomers" or any of that nonsense. If someone wants to b*tch about those things, as a poster said earlier, start a thread on F16. It's that simple.
Madmarttigan
AG
I gotta stop opening this thread until next Monday when everyone moves one
Leggo My Elko
AG
I wonder what the record for pages generated per show episode is for this forum is? I'm assuming some GOT episode has to have it, but this episode sure has had some legs.
TCTTS
AG
For whatever reason, I didn't think this thread would be nearly as popular as the game spoiler thread, but we've somehow blown past it by episode three.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Madmarttigan said:

I gotta stop opening this thread until next Monday when everyone moves one
I've been iced in this week. Thread has provide a lot of enjoyment.
Prosperdick
AG
My only problem with the episode is when Bill says the piano is "currently worth nothing." In a dystopia of this nature any musical instrument and those who can play them and create new music are infinitely more valuable.

Think about it, there are no new movies, video games (lol), TV programs, nothing. All forms of analog entertainment would skyrocket in value.
AggieOO
TCTTS said:

For whatever reason, I didn't think this thread would be nearly as popular as the game spoiler thread, but we've somehow blown past it by episode three.

Probably bc the gamers already knew Bill and Frank were gay, so there was no uproar. That said, I haven't read that thread, so perhaps I'm wrong.
AggieOO
Prosperdick said:

My only problem with the episode is when Bill says the piano is "currently worth nothing." In a dystopia of this nature any musical instrument and those who can play them and create new music are infinitely more valuable.

Think about it, there are no new movies, video games (lol), TV programs, nothing. All forms of analog entertainment would skyrocket in value.

Yes and no. Perhaps in the QZ, but a piano in a "remote" town of one? What's he going to do? Advertise on fungibook marketplace, and sell it to someone who hires two zombies and a truck to come pick it up?
bluefire579
AG
AggieOO said:

TCTTS said:

Probably bc the gamers already knew Bill and Frank were gay, so there was no uproar. That said, I haven't read that thread, so perhaps I'm wrong.
There's one guy who absolutely insists that they weren't and a bit of cbr trolling before he moved here, but yeah, for the most part, this is correct
AggieOO
One guy who insists they aren't gay? Lol.
mazzag
AG
I'd like to add for gear heads and drag racers the Chevy S-10 is a sought after, beloved truck.
mazzag
AG
2nd story window easily explained. Heat rises, so does odor. But yeah a mistake.
BenFiasco14
AG
Finally caught up. Great first 3 episodes. Never played the games as I'm more of an Xbox and Nintendo person.

Pedro Pascal is great as usual. Little Mormont girl returns.

I just can't wait to see the world building further. I was a big walking dead detractor after liking the first half of the show. So I haven't seen anything zombie in awhile, and this has enough of a unique spin on that idea to have me interested.

I'm interested to see the so called raiders and slavers roaming the countryside.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Saxsoon
AG
We mostly just appreciate what we saw when we post.

Here is a lot of trolling, it dies down, 2 pages past, someone quotes the old stuff having caught up and then it continues on.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Uhhh. WTF?!?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fungi-spread-last-of-us-valley-fever-climate-11675260773

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.