*** THE LAST OF US *** (Non-Gamer Thread)

180,797 Views | 2419 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by jokershady
Goldie Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agracer said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

beanbean said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Re Catherine. Listening to the podcast.

Q: Why would (insert bearded army dude) follow HER?

A: Yes! You asked the question we wanted the audience to ask. We wanted some confusion. Isn't he the more natural leader? Well, keep watching.
So they wanted the question asked. Posters on this thread get *****ed at for asking the question. Seems about right.
There were about 150 posts I skipped since 0730 today, but I mostly saw amazing alpha males who require a special slings to carry their enormous testicles complaining that women can't be leaders.
No one is saying that. They are saying how could this woman could be the leader. Put her in as Sarah Conner and the terminator wins.

EDIT: I didn't read every post, but the gist of what I did read seemed to be that the character/actress was miscast for the role.
Yeah some disagreed with the casting choice, others categorically objected to a woman (any woman) being the leader of an insurgent group in the context of a zombie apocalypse
schmendeler
AG
I feel like we could give it another episode and see what this gal is capable of before declaring her unbelievable.
Goldie Wilson
That sounds perfectly logical. You have no business here
schmendeler
AG
I'll see myself out
aTmAg
AG
AggieOO said:

agracer said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

beanbean said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

A: Yes! You asked the question we wanted the audience to ask. We wanted some confusion. Isn't he the more natural leader? Well, keep watching.
So they wanted the question asked. Posters on this thread get *****ed at for asking the question. Seems about right.
There were about 150 posts I skipped since 0730 today, but I mostly saw amazing alpha males who require a special slings to carry their enormous testicles complaining that women can't be leaders.
No one is saying that. They are saying how could this woman could be the leader. Put her in as Sarah Conner and the terminator wins.

EDIT: I didn't read every post, but the gist of what I did read seemed to be that the character/actress was miscast for the role.
actually, there was one poster, who every much said women can't be leaders.
Can you guys actually read? I specifically said that women can be good leaders (like Queen Elizibeth I, Mary Barra, etc.) But that they have very small chance of earning leadership of a combat unit. Yet this show is 2 for 2 on that.

For similar reasons, there have been no female head football coaches in NFL, or college (that I know of) and likely will be very few or zero within our lifetime. Ditto for all male sports. It's much easier to earn respect of your underlings if you have "been there" (especially combat). To pretend otherwise is just self delusion. A group of 100 people living in a mad-max world aren't going to self-chose a leader due to "organizational skills" (like Eisenhower). Hell, he would have never been picked if the troops chose their own leader instead of Roosevelt appointing him.
Teddy Perkins
AG
***REMINDER, NEW EPISODE DROPS TOMORROW/LATE TONIGHT***
Unfollowing the thread this afternoon so muscle memory doesn't lead to me spoiling myself.
Rudyjax
AG
This is discussion goes well beyond Texags.

https://www.eonline.com/amp/news/1364343/melanie-lynskey-claps-back-after-adrianne-curry-criticizes-her-appearance-on-the-last-of-us
WES2006AG
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

***REMINDER, NEW EPISODE DROPS TOMORROW/LATE TONIGHT***
Unfollowing the thread this afternoon so muscle memory doesn't lead to me spoiling myself.
Good idea waiting until this afternoon because you might miss something important in here.
barbacoa taco
AG
aTmAg said:

AggieOO said:

agracer said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

beanbean said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Can you guys actually read? I specifically said that women can be good leaders (like Queen Elizibeth I, Mary Barra, etc.) But that they have very small chance of earning leadership of a combat unit. Yet this show is 2 for 2 on that.

For similar reasons, there have been no female head football coaches in NFL, or college (that I know of) and likely will be very few or zero within our lifetime. Ditto for all male sports. It's much easier to earn respect of your underlings if you have "been there" (especially combat). To pretend otherwise is just self delusion. A group of 100 people living in a mad-max world aren't going to self-chose a leader due to "organizational skills" (like Eisenhower). Hell, he would have never been picked if the troops chose their own leader instead of Roosevelt appointing him.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

https://www.eonline.com/amp/news/1364343/melanie-lynskey-claps-back-after-adrianne-curry-criticizes-her-appearance-on-the-last-of-us

Claps back.

M.C. Swag
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

Just had Game of Thrones PTSD reading this last sentence "...the most exciting part of my job is subverting expectations."
aTmAg
AG
barbacoa taco said:

aTmAg said:

AggieOO said:

agracer said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

beanbean said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Maybe you should post that in response to people who keep refering to my posts.
Rudyjax
AG
barbacoa taco
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

there's an upvoted comment on the Reddit thread about this, and I think they make great points.

What if Kathleen isn't supposed to fit the prototype of a hardcore, authoritarian leader? Maybe she is meant to appear more like a normal suburban mom who is now a leader of a resistance group? As in, in 2003, she was driving her kids to soccer practice in a minivan and going out to eat at Olive Garden and watching the View. But post-outbreak, she's a completely different person.

This is a post-apocalyptic world. The rules don't really apply here. Normal people survived the outbreak, not (just) crazy or evil people. So it's fitting that a normal midwestern woman in her 40s would be the leader of a group. Why/how did she become the leader? That remains to be seen.
Unemployed
AG
aTmAg said:

AggieOO said:

agracer said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

beanbean said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Why do you care so much about being right on the internet?

Just relax.
GreasenUSA
AG
barbacoa taco said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

What if Kathleen isn't supposed to fit the prototype of a hardcore, authoritarian leader? Maybe she is meant to appear more like a normal suburban mom who is now a leader of a resistance group? As in, in 2003, she was driving her kids to soccer practice in a minivan and going out to eat at Olive Garden and watching the View. But post-outbreak, she's a completely different person.

Well hopefully we'll get a full episode backstory on Kathleen, with gratuitous shots of her driving her kids to sportsball practice throughout the years.
aTmAg
AG
RealTalk said:

aTmAg said:

AggieOO said:

agracer said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

beanbean said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Just relax.
It sparks joy.
FancyKetchup14
AG
aTmAg said:

RealTalk said:

aTmAg said:

AggieOO said:

agracer said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

beanbean said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Just relax.
It sparks joy.

Ervin Burrell
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

aTmAg said:

RealTalk said:

aTmAg said:

AggieOO said:

agracer said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

beanbean said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Just relax.
It sparks joy.

"You would post a Toy Story pic as a retort...not surprised that you are a fan of a movie released by WOKE Disney who GROOMS children." /aTmAg
FancyKetchup14
gigemJTH12
AG
yall do realize if no one replied to him he would stop posting, right?
Ervin Burrell
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I very highly doubt that based on his posting history. Isn't he the guy who littered a Better Call Saul thread with dozens of posts about NDA's?
gigemJTH12
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

gigemJTH12 said:

I very highly doubt that based on his posting history. Isn't he the guy who littered a Better Call Saul thread with dozens of posts about NDA's?
tree falling in a forest theory.

but I dont need to see that thread. I have seen this one. 80% of his posts are replies to replies to his.
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

Based on what I can get from sources here and there and comments about her, I think you're on the right track.

cbr
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

Quote:

Based on what I can get from sources here and there and comments about her, I think you're on the right track.

that would make a great story, but it would have to hit hard and be well done. Certainly very possible.

however, just randomly featuring frumpy people in heroic/leadership roles... or underwear commercials... seems to be the norm now, and is just bad form.
Rudyjax
AG
cbr said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Quote:

that would make a great story, but it would have to hit hard and be well done. Certainly very possible.

however, just randomly featuring frumpy people in heroic/leadership roles... or underwear commercials... seems to be the norm now, and is just bad form.
You mean having people who look like the customers?
cbr
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

cbr said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Quote:

in all of human history, people have wanted their entertainment heroes and heroins, models, stars, etc., to be good looking, active, dynamic, or at least interesting looking people.

now in the past few years, yeah... i dont think people have changed, but for whatever reason the ownership is pushing an awful lot of frumpy ass people in shows, that sure do look like some of the couch potatoes in the audience.

i dont think that's a good trend.
schmendeler
AG
But the ideal of what is attractive or interesting has changed many times.

Big asses weren't the thing in the nineties.

But the term rubenesque exists for a reason.
double aught
AG
schmendeler said:

Big asses weren't the thing in the nineties.
Umm…maybe you should dial 1-900-MIXALOT.
Rudyjax
AG
cbr said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

cbr said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Quote:

in all of human history, people have wanted their entertainment heroes and heroins, models, stars, etc., to be good looking, active, dynamic, or at least interesting looking people.

now in the past few years, yeah... i dont think people have changed, but for whatever reason the ownership is pushing an awful lot of frumpy ass people in shows, that sure do look like some of the couch potatoes in the audience.

Yeah. Those actors in the Marvel movies are lumpy and frumpy.
bluefire579
AG
Prosperdick
AG
Tonight's the night! I can't wait to see what texags is *****ing about tomorrow!
Unemployed
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

cbr said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

cbr said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Quote:

Yeah. Those actors in the Marvel movies are lumpy and frumpy.
Gddammit...now we're going to see Lizzo in spandex costume jumping buildings and shooting lasers out of her fat ass.
agracer
AG
cbr said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

cbr said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Quote:

there have been frumpy/potato people on TV/Movie's for years.

It's the obese people they're trotting out in the fitness commercials that's insane. Heart Disease is the #1 killer in America and 90% of it is preventable. Yet the media want's us to believe obesity is A-OK and healthy.
Goldie Wilson
Or it's the fitness commercials targeting people they think need or will use their product?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.