*** THE LAST OF US *** (Non-Gamer Thread)

180,798 Views | 2419 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by jokershady
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In before the complaints that the preacher is a cult leader, child abuser, child marriage, rapist and fraud complaints.

Hollywood making Christians look bad.
Madmarttigan
AG
Not going to link to the story about a pastor and his daughter recently but they do that on their own just fine.
The Kraken
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Dad is in the stew, isn't he.
Yeah the look on the guy's face when he said "it's venison" was pretty telling. Called it to my wife and she was like "huh"?
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Rudyjax
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Not going to link to the story about a pastor and his daughter recently but they do that on their own just fine.

Hollywood has an agenda to make Christians look bad.
DallasTeleAg
Except that David later reveals he doesn't believe in any of that, but uses it to control the rest of them.

My biggest issue is how stupid David is. How did someone that stupid take over that entire group of people? You're going to end up going after them anyways, so why give them your valuable penicillin?
DallasTeleAg
I do have to say for such a huge Ellie episode, I didn't really find any of what she did to be outrageous or unbelievable. Using her bite as a fake infection to get a slight edge was very smart.
The Dog Lord
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I do have to say for such a huge Ellie episode, I didn't really find any of what she did to be outrageous or unbelievable. Using her bite as a fake infection to get a slight edge was very smart.

The Ellie stuff was definitely the most believable. I was telling the wife she needs to learn a fighting style that works for her being a teenage girl that weighs less than everyone else. She can get one hit in usually before they knock her out.
jokershady
AG
Just gonna throw this out there….as far as the source material goes and this show that's based on said source material…..this episode was EVERYTHING I'd hoped it would be….

And one more to go…..

Edit: said this to hopefully put the "Hollywood agenda" stuff on the back burner….I'm a conservative dude but this show hasn't really changed anything from the original source that would make me even consider that as an idea in their head….
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Before the realism arguers get here, Joel wasn't anywhere near 100% when he was going to find Ellie. Penicillin did work quickly, but Joel was is in no shape to save the day, and the episode did a good job showing that I think
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
jokershady said:

Just gonna throw this out there….as far as the source material goes and this show that's based on said source material…..this episode was EVERYTHING I'd hoped it would be….

And one more to go…..

Edit: said this to hopefully put the "Hollywood agenda" stuff on the back burner….I'm a conservative dude but this show hasn't really changed anything from the original source that would make me even consider that as an idea in their head….

Exactly.
And like DallasTeleAg said, David didn't believe in it and was using it as a tool to control the desperate.

If we want to get real technical, video game narrative isn't the same as Hollywood
cbr
AG
Enjoyed the episode.

Question - can you really inject penn into a skin wound or stomach? Or does it need to be muscle ? Or vein?
Engine10
AG
Hell. Yeah.

Now we're back on track. Ellie got that dawg in her
Madmarttigan
AG
Would be muscle or vein. No need to inject directly at source of infection.

I could also rain on the penicillin parade and tell you it's not going to do Jack for a gut wound.
Prosperdick
AG
I'm very conservative but I'm not going to quibble with fake preacher cannibal child rapist.

I like how they played him off to be an altruistic religious leader with the reveal that the lunatic Joel killed was the girl's father.

He even maintained the facade and tried to bribe Ellie with the penicillin as he could see she was a leader although I'm not sure what his plan was to ingratiate her to the flock. That was bad judgment but heck, she just took down a buck, he's probably thinking we need that hunter on the team!

One final note, man Joel is a ruthless badass and the show definitely makes you question his morals until you realize the cult **** show they have at their "resort."
cbr
AG
Prosperdick said:

I'm very conservative but I'm not going to quibble with fake preacher cannibal child rapist.

I like how they played him off to be an altruistic religious leader with the reveal that the lunatic Joel killed was the girl's father.

He even maintained the facade and tried to bribe Ellie with the penicillin as he could see she was a leader although I'm not sure what his plan was to ingratiate her to the flock. That was bad judgment but heck, she just took down a buck, he's probably thinking we need that hunter on the team!

One final note, man Joel is a ruthless badass and the show definitely makes you question his morals until you realize the cult **** show they have at their "resort."
There is no quibbling with the evil fake religious leader trope. It's a thing for sure.

What i've learned through one very interesting life though, is that, though i hated hypocritical christian leaders, and at least 20% of them are evil……that's better than leftist leaders. Theyre 100% evil, and at least the preachers have to pay lip service to ethics and love.
Prosperdick
AG
One other note, the baby girl line at the end got me in the feels. Really good episode.
The Milkman
AG
So the guy that Joel killed they were trying to get revenge for… was that the one from the group at the college campus? Or do we know / does it matter?
beanbean
The Milkman said:

So the guy that Joel killed they were trying to get revenge for… was that the one from the group at the college campus? Or do we know / does it matter?
Yes, it was the group from the campus.
cr06gis
AG
Seems like every group they encounter are really the good guys in this story.
fav13andac1)c
AG
cr06gis said:

I don't know, not sure I'd qualify child rapist cannibal fake Christian as the good guy.

They are just trying to show different perspectives, which is interesting to watch IMO.
cr06gis
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

cr06gis said:

I don't know, not sure I'd qualify child rapist cannibal fake Christian as the good guy.

They are just trying to show different perspectives, which is interesting to watch IMO.

Still more likeable than Ellie.
XXXVII
cr06gis said:

Really? The cannibal group are the good guys?
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
cr06gis
AG
XXXVII said:

cr06gis said:

Yes.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
cr06gis said:

XXXVII said:

cr06gis said:

Yes.

Good lord. Only on TexAgs
johnnyblaze36
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

cr06gis said:

XXXVII said:

cr06gis said:

Yes.

Good lord. Only on TexAgs
I can't breathe.

Saxsoon
AG
I hate that I share a degree with some people on this site
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
"It's okay, baby girl. I got you."
Rudyjax
AG
Of all the episodes, I felt that most ATMag about this one.

I suspended disbelief.

It is interesting that they did show things from different perspectives.

To one person is a raider, to another they're trying to provide for their group.

And to ask why he gave her what he did, he wanted a willing child bride.

And then when she wasn't interested, he was going to take her by force.

J. Walter Weatherman
cr06gis said:

XXXVII said:

cr06gis said:

Yes.

Quinn
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

I suspended disbelief.

To one person is a raider, to another they're trying to provide for their group.

It seems clear to me that the group attacked Joel at the college not bc they thought he was a threat, but bc they thought he would taste good.

Saxsoon
AG
Every week I think, no way someone can have a worse take.

And you guys disappoint me each week
AlaskanAg99
AG
I enjoyed this episode.

After 20 years of infection, post apocalyptic living and constant fear of death, most people are not going to be well educated rational thinkers. When someone says "I have the way" and mostly delivers why wouldn't people go along? Then that leader finds men that are willing to get the job done in order to protect their own. Which means killing others in order to survive. America and its government are gone, groups have become tribal.

Even Joel and his brother fit this mold. They have killed and taken in order to survive. It's stated repeatedly.

The party of 4 that was out scavenging, away from the eyes of their wives and children, will do whatever it takes to get through another day. Another week. And they already know this winter is harder, colder and longer as their food supplies dwindle. To that end, it's resulted in cannibalism, they had 3 other bodies already strung up ready to be butchered.

Starving people being fed probably aren't going to ask too many questions.

A solid series to read is called "1 Second After".
aTm '99
Rudyjax
AG
Quinn said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

I suspended disbelief.

It seems clear to me that the group attacked Joel at the college not bc they thought he was a threat, but bc they thought he would taste good.

Yeah, that's not what I suspended disbelief on...but you are corret.
Rudyjax
AG
Babies are a good source of meat too.

-The Road

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I mean, sure, the pedophile was trying to rape and eat her, but Ellie tells dad jokes that fall flat sometimes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.