*** THE LAST OF US *** (Non-Gamer Thread)

182,572 Views | 2419 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by jokershady
hurleyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd agree any vital shots should be fatal. The fungus needs the host alive to complete its life cycle
schmendeler
AG
You guys are right. This show is so chock full of errors and inconsistencies, only an idiot would keep watching it!
Quad Dog
AG
hurleyag said:

I'd agree any vital shots should be fatal. The fungus needs the host alive to complete its life cycle
I was reading a bit about how Cordyceps control their host.

Quote:

The fungus takes over their minds and bodies and makes them want to spread the fungus to the uninfected.
https://www.vox.com/culture/2023/1/21/23561106/last-of-us-fungus-cordyceps-zombie-infect-humans

Quote:

Prof. Hughes and his team scanned ultra-thin slices of infected ants under a powerful microscope to build a 3D model, painstakingly marking which parts were ant and which were fungus. That gave them a much more detailed look at what was happening structurally at the cellular level. They found a surprisingly high percentage of fungal cells in the ants' bodies. The cells were concentrated directly outside the brain without ever penetrating the brain.
Instead, the fungal cells formed an elaborate, interconnected 3D network, enabling them to communicate with each other and exchange nutrients. They essentially cut the brain off from the rest of the ant's body, so the networked cells can control its behavior.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07/study-zombie-ant-death-grip-comes-from-muscle-contractions-not-the-brain/

I'm not a doctor, but that reads like the fungus would still be able to control a brain dead host. Maybe even one without a beating heart for a long period of time as long as the muscles could still contract.
Saxsoon
AG
That also sounds like if something similar would happen to a human, if alive the infected would still have complete consciousness but no control
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah you would just be operating on basic motor functions. Would need to separate the brain stem from the body.
Saxsoon
AG
God that makes the scene with Sam even sadder. I wanted to take solace that he basically was brain dead
hurleyag
AG
The mechanics of how the fungus works could definitely get into the weeds, but that makes sense in terms of the show with the wheelchair bound lady becoming animated.
Quad Dog
AG
But this raises the question of how the host is getting nutrients to live? Is the fungus forcing the host to eat human food and drink water? Before to long the host muscles would atrophy and become useless. How are the fungus getting a host to live for any period of time over a couple weeks?
Dimebag Darrell
cajunaggie08 said:

Tibbers said:

Just saying that their relationship doesnt extend beyond themselves, it never can and never will. Doesn't that make their attempt pure vanity and selfishness? Instead of reaching out to anyone to take over they just said **** it all. The entire practice and enterprise was wasted entirely. But hey, they were in love so yeah let's just focus on that I guess.
Absolutely they were selfish. Bill hated everyone except his mom until Frank entered his life. He only cared about himself and keeping himself and then alter himself and Frank alive. Frank worked to open him up but from what we saw he barely allowed Joel and Tess to enter. Was all of their work a waste to the betterment of mankind? Yup. Mankind had been cruel to Bill and he wasn't going to help it in return. But the little bit that Frank opened him up, gave him a new purpose and he wanted to pass that purpose on to Joel as he saw similarities in him. Joel reading that letter now has a purpose to help humanity rather than lookout for his own ass and his brother's ass.

ISWYDT

In all seriousness...just catching up through this thread as I'm a bit behind...but episode 3 was fantastic imo. I am conservative and typically this stuff jus feels forced and preachy...but this was different to me. And to be fair, they did not demonize the "right-winged prepper"...they made him look badass, and like a fortune teller. A small trade off of sorts. The gay stuff felt about as "forced" and "preachy" as Michael Cudlitz badass closeted gay character in "Southland"...as in, not at all.

Great acting, and to be honest, you have to do it right to get me to truly feel vested in the affairs of two gay dudes, especially if there are intimate scenes involved...as these days it is typically done sloppily, lazily and often times raunchily.

Wish we had Bill's character for an ep or two more. He f'n nailed it.
Dimebag Darrell
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Lol yeah, I use Cheadle as the butt of jokes all the time. "His acting is great, but he's no Don Cheadle."

Cheadle is probably the most mediocre, big name actor that I can think of. No charisma, vanilla as hell, always a safe choice as a secondary character that doesn't require any heavy lifting. He's basically made a name and fortune for himself playing those roles next to more talented/established actors.
He acted his ass off in Hotel Rwanda and at times in Traffic though imo. Hotel Rwanda was anything but a "vanilla" role. He was pretty convincing as an African imo. OK sorry, done responding to month-old posts, carry on everyone

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Official soundtrack released earlier this week. Can find it on Spotify. 60+ tracks, including Nick Offerman's rendition of "Long Long Time"
Dimebag Darrell
Sorry but that last episode was awful. Here's to hoping they turn it around tonight. Also pretty crazy how many gay people there are in a post-apocalyptic world. Seen a handful of gay smooches in this show. Has there been a single hetero one lol? Sorry to be "that guy", but it's silly when you actually factor in stats.

But that's not why this last episode sucked or anything. It was just awful and a complete waste of time.
jkag89
Maybe it took more time than necessary and it was IMO the weakest episode to this point but I would not say giving us Ellie's back story including how she got bit is a complete waste of time.
Saxsoon
AG
I hate shortened seasons in the prestige tv era. You can't let anyone ****ing breathe and constant PLOT. Even having one or two episodes stands out so much more and people get pissed at it.

That was a good episode
Dimebag Darrell
Maybe we've just been spoiled with previous episodes. I think a lot of people are going to be let down by that one though. Especially considering the giant cliffhanger that was the prior episode. Which probably left the average viewer expecting something completely different out of episode 7. Some of the super artsy "you just don't get it man" types will probably rank it near the topā€¦but they've gotta be in the small minority.

It was just so boring and drawn out to me. I do like the various renditions of songs by Depeche Mode and The Cure though.
schmendeler
AG
Who wants character background and enrichment when you can have zombies?
Dimebag Darrell
schmendeler said:

I'm convinced some of you think cliff notes are just as good as reading the book.

If you don't want to watch the whole story, wait till season two is about to start and just watch a recap on YouTube. Then you can just enjoy the parts you think are important.

I liked episode 3 and was not a fan of 7. But let's be honestā€¦.you could fast fwd through at least 45 min of each and still be just as caught up on the story. Ep 3 wasn't all essential but it was well made and entertaining. Ep 7 was largely just a waste of time imo.
Dimebag Darrell
schmendeler said:

Who wants character background and enrichment when you can have zombies?

I love this show overall, and zombies comprise very little of it. Not everyone likes drawn out boring episodes about pre-pubescent lesbian crushes.
schmendeler
AG
I mean every episode couple be condensed into a 10 minute YouTube video and bring in all the plot. It's almost like you watch a show for more than just plot advancement.
AgE2theBONE
AG
schmendeler said:

I mean every episode couple be condensed into a 10 minute YouTube video and bring in all the plot. It's almost like you watch a show for more than just plot advancement.

One of the reasons I was enjoying House of the Dragon so much while many people online were expressing frustration is that I just enjoyed being in that world again.

I could probably watch a bunch of episodes set in Westeros of just people going about their normal lives and enjoy it.

This last episode may not have been crucial to the plot but it was an enjoyable time watching those two kids deal with circumstances they found themselves in, in addition to the more relevant stuff like how she got bit and likely had to kill the friend she loved.

schmendeler
AG
Agree 100%. How could you not get a kick out of these kids "discovering" this time capsule from our near past?
Dimebag Darrell
schmendeler said:

It's kind of weird how sensitive some people are on here when it comes to other peoples' criticisms or complaints.

If you say anything negative about an episode, you better get ready to get mocked and basically called a simpleton.

I think ultimately, people were just bummed bc you end ep 6 wondering how the main character/protagonist is possibly going to survive that shocking stab to the gut that came out of nowhere, assuming the next episode is going to deal largely with that, and then it ends up just being a complete curveball into the dirt.

And again, at some point, I'm sorry but the gay stuff begins to feel "forced". Maybe that's how it was in the game, but it certainly feels like an agenda, and the creator basically admitted to such in ep 3, which I enjoyed and have defended on here.
Rudyjax
AG
Brittmoore Car Club said:

schmendeler said:

It's kind of weird how sensitive some people are on here when it comes to other peoples' criticisms or complaints.

If you say anything negative about an episode, you better get ready.

I mean if your first complaint is the gay kids, then you'll probably hear about it.

Dimebag Darrell
Chuck Cunningham said:

schmendeler said:

I mean if your first complaint is the gay kids, then you'll probably hear about it.

Wasn't my first complaint. Was my second.

Sorry, but it's pretty crazy that there are more gay intimate scenes than hetero ones in this type of show. Just based on reality and actual statistics, that seems pretty forced. Again, probably thanks to a bunch of virtue signaling blue haired video game creators in California.
AgE2theBONE
AG

schmendeler said:

And again, at some point, I'm sorry but the gay stuff begins to feel "forced". Maybe that's how it was in the game, but it certainly feels like an agenda, and the creator basically admitted to such in ep 3, which I enjoyed and have defended on here.

I'm curious what makes it feel "forced."

I groan just like everyone else when an agenda of any type is being force-fed, whether its sexuality or climate change, etc.

I never really felt that in this series. There's somewhere around 20 million or more gay people in America. The fact that we're seeing gay characters more than we did throughout the history of cinema/tv is certainly noticeable, and often over the top, but the fact that Ellie and the other girl might have been gay didn't seem like a big deal.

Even episode 3, whatever the showrunner said about it, seemed perfectly plausible.
Rudyjax
AG

Chuck Cunningham said:

schmendeler said:

Sorry, but it's pretty crazy that there are more gay intimate scenes than hetero ones in this type of show. Just based on reality and actual statistics, that seems pretty forced. Again, probably thanks to a bunch of virtue signaling blue haired video game creators in California.

Quote:

Sorry but that last episode was awful. Here's to hoping they turn it around tonight. Also pretty crazy how many gay people there are in a post-apocalyptic world.

Could've fooled me. Awful is not a complaint.
johncAG
AG
There has been 4 "out" gay characters on the show so far, and 75% of them are dead. 4 out of roughly 30/35 named characters. All 4 of which were gay or heavlily implied gay in the game as well. Out of the main character to the plot, Joel has had his daughter (presumably from a wife or GF) die and still had a somewhat personal relationship with Tess. Tommy and Maria are expecting, another hetero couple. You can even throw in the couple in the lodge in episode 6 that seemed to have a very loving and long lasting relationship. I dont see this being pro straight/gay/whatever. It justs people trying to survive and love who they love.
schmendeler
AG
It is vitally important that characters in all forms of entertainment be distributed into exactly the right demographic apportionment.
cbr
AG

Sorry but that last episode was awful. Here's to hoping they turn it around tonight. Also pretty crazy how many gay people there are in a post-apocalyptic world. Seen a handful of gay smooches in this show. Has there been a single hetero one lol? Sorry to be "that guy", but it's silly when you actually factor in stats.

But that's not why this last episode sucked or anything. It was just awful and a complete waste of time.
Well, there was the fung-kiss.
Dimebag Darrell
Chuck Cunningham said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

schmendeler said:

Quote:

Sorry but that last episode was awful. Here's to hoping they turn it around tonight. Also pretty crazy how many gay people there are in a post-apocalyptic world.

Could've fooled me. Awful is not a complaint.

Saying an episode is awful is not a complaint? Lol dafuq? Honestly if it wasn't a sucky episode and the gay kiss wasn't one of the two "big reveals" of the ep, I probably wouldn't be talking about it.

Again, a bunch of far left video game engineers came up with this story so I shouldn't be surprised by how prevalent the gay mugging down is. They couldn't just have them be really good friends, that would not have been edgy and progressive enough.

Anyways, the lesbian stuff was secondary to how unexpectedly boring the episode was overall. Hope they turn it back around tonight.
Dimebag Darrell
AgE2theBONE said:

schmendeler said:

I'm curious what makes it feel "forced."

I groan just like everyone else when an agenda of any type is being force-fed, whether its sexuality or climate change, etc.

I never really felt that in this series. There's somewhere around 20 million or more gay people in America. The fact that we're seeing gay characters more than we did throughout the history of cinema/tv is certainly noticeable, and often over the top, but the fact that Ellie and the other girl might have been gay didn't seem like a big deal.

Even episode 3, whatever the showrunner said about it, seemed perfectly plausible.

Episode 3 was amazing. Obviously it's awkward and cringey to see two men mugging, but that aside, it may have been the best episode. I guess it just starts to feel forced when pretty much the only intimacy or kissing you see on screen is gay. I just feel like they are trying to push buttons.

The director basically said he was trying to trick conservatives into watching episode 3 right? I just wish it didn't always feel like an agenda.

Again, Bill in Ep3 and Officer John Cooper from "Southland" are absolutely amazing and endearing characters to me, I promise you this isn't some homophobic rant. There have been plenty of amazing gay characters in TV and film, but if there's one more gay mug session in this show, I am just going to assume this was all some big social justice endeavor of some sorts.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dad is in the stew, isn't he.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Called it.
wessimo
AG
None of the other townspeople noticed their meeting place burning down?
The Dog Lord
AG
wessimo said:

None of the other townspeople noticed their meeting place burning down?

This episode is going to have tons of fodder for this thread. The townspeople didn't care about gunshots and loud noises before the place burning down. Also 2 dudes dragged a horse back to town. Also can't wait to hear about the unrealistic first aid and Joel going from death to fighting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.