*** THE LAST OF US *** (Non-Gamer Thread)

182,214 Views | 2419 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by jokershady
WES2006AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I always find it amusing that people think they would be the ones to survive an event like this. Not only am I pretty sure I go out with the first group I am also pretty sure that would be desirable to a post-apocalyptical existence.
Rudyjax
AG
WES2006AG said:

I always find it amusing that people think they would be the ones to survive an event like this. Not only am I pretty sure I go out with the first group I am also pretty sure that would be desirable to a post-apocalyptical existence.
knowing my luck I'd die a gruesome death after rather than immediate death.
aTmAg
AG
I think you guys are reading too much into it. Tons of shows have different setting as the show goes on. That doesn't mean they were following some sort of game level format.
Ol Jock 99
AG
WES2006AG said:

Like a previous poster said, depends on the status of the kids. Me, myself, solo…punchers chance. Me with my wife and 4 young kids…mushroom food for sure.
Rudyjax
AG
aTmAg said:

I think you guys are reading too much into it. Tons of shows have different setting as the show goes on. That doesn't mean they were following some sort of game level format.
I've never played a video game like that one, but it seemed like a series of challenges to get to the next level. I definitely dnd't get that vibe in the first episode. And, it really doesn't matter.
beagle2009
AG
I haven't played the game and am trying really hard to avoid any spoiler material, but I've seen a few clips on twitter showing side-by-side comparisons of certain scenes in the show vs the game. The camera work is really incredible. The whole truck scene in the first episode and the upper floor/clicker confrontation in ep 2 just felt like a video game sequence!
aTmAg
AG
I would be screwed. I'm out of shape, don't know squat about hunting. I would probably be fodder for the zombies.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

I"m not sure I've ever watched a TV show based on a video game.

I have never played a game like this either.

But I can see how each room is a level. Pretty interesting actually.

I know this is the non-gamer thread, but that was the question in the back of my mind for the first two episodes. Does/will anyone who hasn't played the game view this show through a "level" structure at all and, more so, do certain scenes or episodes feel like they're drawing those invisible lines for you or not.
Right before the action started in the museum it felt very game-esque with the over the shoulder view, dark room, and light from the flashlight.

Overall, it doesn't bother me trying to figure out if it feels like each scene is a level from the game. Good story, visuals, and acting are really all I care about.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Zombie outbreak survival comes down to a few things.

1. How remote you are when the outbreak happens
2. How in shape you are, both physically and supply wise
3. If you are in good shape for the first two, how willing are you to shoot family members, friends, and neighbors who can't pass the first two options.
aTmAg
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

aTmAg said:

I've never played a video game like that one, but it seemed like a series of challenges to get to the next level. I definitely dnd't get that vibe in the first episode. And, it really doesn't matter.
I haven't played any "narrative" games. I'm not sure how they work. Is it like watching a "movie with challenges"? In the other thread, they said that the scene with the burning house in episode 1 was just like the game. So was that a cut-scene? Or does the game player actually drive the truck around, and when they happen to drive past that house on fire, the passenger spontaneously says "oh there is Fred's house"? To me, it would be a lot more fun if it didn't lead you around scene to scene. If it felt like I was doing whatever I wanted and the story figured it out somehow. It would be cheesy if it's basically just watching a movie, and every once in a while the action pauses for you to do some challenge. Like you have to beat up that soldier at the end of episode 1 in order to move past that scene. Or you have to kill those clickers in the museum before you can move on. Could I just go another way and skip those clickers altogether?

This is not meant to invite video game spoilers. I was just wondering how the game works in a general sense. I don't want to go to the other thread, because I don't want to be spoiled.
Rudyjax
AG
aTmAg said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

aTmAg said:

I haven't played any "narrative" games. I'm not sure how they work. Is it like watching a "movie with challenges"? In the other thread, they said that the scene with the burning house in episode 1 was just like the game. So was that a cut-scene? Or does the game player actually drive the truck around, and when they happen to drive past that house on fire, the passenger spontaneously says "oh there is Fred's house"? To me, it would be a lot more fun if it didn't lead you around scene to scene. If it felt like I was doing whatever I wanted and the story figured it out somehow. It would be cheesy if it's basically just watching a movie, and every once in a while the action pauses for you to do some challenge. Like you have to beat up that soldier at the end of episode 1 in order to move past that scene. Or you have to kill those clickers in the museum before you can move on. Could I just go another way and skip those clickers altogether?

This is not meant to invite video game spoilers. I was just wondering how the game works in a general sense. I don't want to go to the other thread, because I don't want to be spoiled.
You're definitely replying to the wrong dude as I have no clue as the last video game I played was Tiger Wood 2003.

I literally had the same question then my kids expained it to me.
FL_Ag1998
AG
WES2006AG said:

You guys are thinking about this all wrong. The post apocalyptic zombie world I prefer to think of is like Zombieland.... I get my pick of whatever car I feel like choosing to drive that day, get to live in the mansion of some zombiefied movie star, have a whole amusement park to myself, and if there are any hot chicks left then I automatically become their number 1 prospect due to lack of competition. That zombie world would be awesome!
aTmAg
AG
Yeah, that was more of a general question.
Saxsoon
AG
aTmAg said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

aTmAg said:

TLOU as a game does a combination of cut scenes and interactive cut scenes. The car scene specifically you had full control of the camera (as Sarah) while Joel and Tommy drive you away

The game allows you to approach clickers in many different ways. There are entire areas that can be avoided by stealth. Others you would use a glass bottle to distract them while you get an opportunity to shiv someone. TLOU as a whole is definitely funneling you forward to the next level, it is very focused but it allowed them to truly master the story and game engine
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
DallasTeleAg
I still think World War Z should have been adapted as a TV show and should have followed the book exactly. What we got as a movie literally had nothing to do with the book.

For those who like Zombie things and haven't read World War Z, you need to. Such an interesting take on the whole Zombie apocalypse storytelling.
Saxsoon
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I still think World War Z should have been adapted as a TV show and should have followed the book exactly. What we got as a movie literally had nothing to do with the book.

For those who like Zombie things and haven't read World War Z, you need to. Such an interesting take on the whole Zombie apocalypse storytelling.

Loved world war z (the book). It really was something special
aTmAg
AG
Saxsoon said:

aTmAg said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

aTmAg said:

TLOU as a game does a combination of cut scenes and interactive cut scenes. The car scene specifically you had full control of the camera (as Sarah) while Joel and Tommy drive you away
So when you (the player) were playing the part of Sarah in the game, do you get shot and die?
aTmAg
AG
Saxsoon said:

DallasTeleAg said:

The movie was meh. Did they diverge a lot from the book?
javajaws
AG
For a non-gamer thread this sure has a lot of posts about the game (or comparisons with).
aTmAg
AG
javajaws said:

For a non-gamer thread this sure has a lot of posts about the game (or comparisons with).
Nothing about the story though.
DallasTeleAg
aTmAg said:

Saxsoon said:

DallasTeleAg said:

It is NOTHING like the book. The movie is a generic Zombie movie. The book is a series of short stories collected by a journalist as he researches the breakout of the Zombie situation and the years after. It's an easy book to read a chapter a night and very much worth the read.
Saxsoon
AG
aTmAg said:

Saxsoon said:

aTmAg said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

aTmAg said:

So when you (the player) were playing the part of Sarah in the game, do you get shot and die?

From when Sarah wakes up until that moment, there are few deviations. I will leave it at that out of respect for the thread
Saxsoon
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

aTmAg said:

Saxsoon said:

DallasTeleAg said:

It is NOTHING like the book. The movie is a generic Zombie movie. The book is a series of short stories collected by a journalist as he researches the breakout of the Zombie situation and the years after. It's an easy book to read a chapter a night and very much worth the read.

Kind of like vignettes into the lives of people in the lead up and aftermath of the zombie outbreak
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
javajaws said:

Exactly. So where's the faux outrage and personal attacks that dominated this thread last night?

Anyway. The connected infected in last night's episode reminded me of the zombie behavior in World War Z. That had to be an influence
Rudyjax
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

javajaws said:

Exactly. So where's the faux outrage and personal attacks that dominated this thread last night?

Anyway. The connected infected in last night's episode reminded me of the zombie behavior in World War Z. That had to be an influence
The point was made an ignored. It's not worth going on and on about it.
not hedge
I just bought the game for ps5
fav13andac1)c
AG
not hedge said:

I just bought the game for ps5
You're banned from this thread now.
AggieOO
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Zombie outbreak survival comes down to a few things.

1. How remote you are when the outbreak happens
2. How in shape you are, both physically and supply wise
3. If you are in good shape for the first two, how willing are you to shoot family members, friends, and neighbors who can't pass the first two options.
this is exactly whey the world probably goes to the ****ter. A LOT of the good people die.
KidDoc
AG
I believe I would survive well after a disaster. I would offer my medical services for some warlord leader type as medical knowledge would still be pretty valued in that situation. In addition I am in reasonably good shape for 50, can handle firearms well, and kids are grown.

My son would be out of luck as he is a type 1 DM.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YNWA_AG
AG
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Awesome to see!
not hedge
Member when everybody wanted high jackman as joel
Rudyjax
AG
KidDoc said:

I believe I would survive well after a disaster. I would offer my medical services for some warlord leader type as medical knowledge would still be pretty valued in that situation. In addition I am in reasonably good shape for 50, can handle firearms well, and kids are grown.

That's what saved my grandfathers life in WW2. MacArthur needed a doctor to accompany him to leave Corregidor. His son Arthur was sick.
PascalsWager
AG
KidDoc said:

A future where peds pays more than derm?

Would it even be that bad?
beagle2009
AG
Gotta think the "late" NFL game ending earlier than usual had a large hand to play in this increase.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.