*** THE LAST OF US *** (Non-Gamer Thread)

182,206 Views | 2419 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by jokershady
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Urban Ag
AG
One this that hasn't really been covered yet is that while it was a very genuinely moving episode, I think some of the dialogue was some of the funnier stuff I have heard as of late. Did a rewatch tonight while working out and really caught some of the lines again.

in the basement
Not today you new world order jackboot f****

zombie headshot after tripping the trap
oh...um......it doesn't get old

hasn't eaten in two days
if I give you a meal you'll tell everyone you come across that I giving out a free lunch. This isn't an Arby's.
Arby's isn't a free lunch, it's a restaurant

in regards to the piano
Do you know how much these things are worth?
Currently nothing

then the spat over fixing up some of the shops was pretty great too.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Frank: "You live in a psycho bunker where 9/11 was an inside job and the government are all Nazis."

Bill: "The government ARE all Nazis!"

Frank: "Well…yeah, now! But not then!"
AggieArchitect04
AG
Just finished ep 3 and loved it. At first I was disappointed that it didn't follow the game where Joel and Ellie arrive to find Bill, but I think the way the show did it drew enough of a connection between Bill and Joel but gave the viewer a thoughtful love story amidst episodes wrought with strife.

The episode gave us a break in the plot at a good time and let Joel and Bill's relationship be what it was - just two dudes who barely trusted one another but would help the other if they could.

Excited for next week.

ETA: I spent 9 days alone in a hospital. My wife brought me maybe two meals the entire time I was there. Some days she didn't show up at all. She's no longer my wife and that's a big reason why. I say all that to say, for those who have found someone that is willing to do that for you, hold on to them, cause not everyone is made that way, and the alternative sucks.
Urban Ag
AG
I am sorry to hear that. Reading that put a lump in the throat. Mine ran back and forth between work, the house, and hospital every day and stayed every night. I pleaded with her at times to get a good night sleep at home but she wouldn't have it. She took notes from the docs/nurses, even argued with them at times, and organized my meds and follows ups once out. I got lucky on the spouse lottery.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Damn it. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you find who you're looking for sooner rather than later

This episode is both hopeful to those who have not yet found their person, and relatable for those who have to not take them for granted.

Powerful episode of TV that resonates even more strongly for me today than it did yesterday
Counterpoint
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Frank: "You live in a psycho bunker where 9/11 was an inside job and the government are all Nazis."

Bill: "The government ARE all Nazis!"

Frank: "Well…yeah, now! But not then!"

Ellie awkwardly reading all the hehehehs in the letter also had me rolling.
MaroonStain
AG
Rereading the episode caption, they should have provided a little more briefing than...

Quote:

When a stranger approaches his compound, survivalist Bill forges an unlikely connection. Later, Joel and Ellie seek Bill's guidance.

Rather misleading I'd say.
WES2006AG
AG
MaroonStain said:

Rereading the episode caption, they should have provided a little more briefing than...

Quote:

When a stranger approaches his compound, survivalist Bill forges an unlikely connection. Later, Joel and Ellie seek Bill's guidance.

Rather misleading I'd say.
Are you asking for a trigger warning when being exposed to gay people?
jeffk
AG
It's already rated TV-MA, but I guess the "mature" part of that designation isn't explicit enough for some.
Teslag
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

I'm not reading the 120+ posts since I checked this morning, but…

I'll admit the episode took me outside of my comfort zone regarding gay stuff. I could have done with less man kissing. But the story was beautifully written, told, and acted. Really well done.

Not to criticize, it just blows my mind that it makes anyone THAT uncomfortable. Its not like you're seeing them naked gettinf after it. It's just lips meeting….

It's just mind blowing to me that you'd let that affect such an awesome episode. I can't imagine being upset at two people kissing as long as they're consenting adults…. Just bizarre.

And if it's that upsetting just skip it. We skipped/FF'ed all the gay parts and it was fine.
GreasenUSA
AG
Teslag said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

I'll admit the episode took me outside of my comfort zone regarding gay stuff. I could have done with less man kissing. But the story was beautifully written, told, and acted. Really well done.

Not to criticize, it just blows my mind that it makes anyone THAT uncomfortable. Its not like you're seeing them naked gettinf after it. It's just lips meeting….

It's just mind blowing to me that you'd let that affect such an awesome episode. I can't imagine being upset at two people kissing as long as they're consenting adults…. Just bizarre.

And if it's that upsetting just skip it. We skipped/FF'ed all the gay parts and it was fine.
did you skip the gay suicide?
BallerStaf2003
AG
It's just so funny to me. You're with your wife or girlfriend, and two actos put their lips together and you're wincing and begging for a fast forward. You pause the show and just say you can't handle it.

I mean, really? To me that's way over the top, but I've been watching straight people mug down for my entire life.

Anyways, moving on.
Teslag
AG
It was more of a "here we go", rolled our eyes, and just FF'ed.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Perhaps they need a rating designation for very sensitive social conservatives. "RATED R/HOMO"
Teslag
AG
GreasenUSA said:

Teslag said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

did you skip the gay suicide?

Jumped forward in 15 second intervals. Got the gist of it from Ellie's letter.
jeffk
AG
Rated MA for sexual situations.

"Yessssssssssss ohnonotlikethat" hits fast forward
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
What an awful snoozer. I signed on to watch zombies and guns, not brokeback compound. I don't even care about all the gay stuff. I thought the crappy HBO app put on a nee episode of stupid Station Eleven instead of the show I thought I wanted. I am sure that episode will get them some kind of award nomination for being so brave and whatever, but it was boring as hell and if they keep this up, I am out. Learned my lesson on Station crappy ass Eleven.
AggieOO
Teslag said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

so you basically watched, what? 5 mins of the episode? They were two gay men. Hate to tell you, but any time Frank or Bill were on-screen, it was a "gay part."
AggieOO
Milwaukees Best Light said:

What an awful snoozer. I signed on to watch zombies and guns, not brokeback compound. I don't even care about all the gay stuff. I thought the crappy HBO app put on a nee episode of stupid Station Eleven instead of the show I thought I wanted. I am sure that episode will get them some kind of award nomination for being so brave and whatever, but it was boring as hell and if they keep this up, I am out. Learned my lesson on Station crappy ass Eleven.
TWD has many seasons, you might do better watching that.
Teslag
AG
AggieOO said:

Teslag said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

so you basically watched, what? 5 mins of the episode? They were two gay men. Hate to tell you, but any time Frank or Bill were on-screen, it was a "gay part."

Basically about 10 to 15 min after FF'eds. It was a filler episode in the overall story so I'm not too broken up over it.
Rudyjax
AG

This is not a show for you. From what I can gather... yes there are zombies. But that's not the main point of the show. It's about human relationships.

Please stop watching.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

This is not a show for you. From what I can gather... yes there are zombies. But that's not the main point of the show. It's about human relationships.

Please stop watching.

Is this for real? I thought this based off a video game? How do you make a video game out of human relationships? Video games are blasting zombies and box pushing.
Rudyjax
AG

Chuck Cunningham said:

Please stop watching.

Is this for real? I thought this based off a video game? How do you make a video game out of human relationships? Video games are blasting zombies and box pushing.
From what I can tell, yes.

Please stop watching.

If you didn't love this episode, this is not the show for you.
cr0wbar
AG
it is based off a video game but that's all I can say on the matter
Nagler
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Please stop watching.

Please stop watching.

I feel like this episode is probably a one off. Not sure I would stop watching a show based on one episode that appears to have very little with what is going to take place in the future.
Proc92
Chuck Cunningham said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Please stop watching.

Please stop watching.

I think it's okay to not love that episode. If I just liked it, can the show still be for me? This over the top reaction to this episode from both camps is weird. This is a fungus zombie show based on a video game with great actors and decent writing.
Rudyjax
AG
Proc92 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Please stop watching.

Please stop watching.

I think it's okay to not love that episode. If I just liked it, can the show still be for me? This over the top reaction to this episode from both camps is weird. This is a fungus zombie show based on a video game with great actors and decent writing.
Sure, just don't post about how much you dislike the show though.

Proc92
Chuck Cunningham said:

Proc92 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Please stop watching.

Please stop watching.

But you can post that if they didn't love an episode that they should stop watching as it isn't the show for them? Rational. Should make for an interesting discussion.
bluefire579
AG

Chuck Cunningham said:

Please stop watching.

You don't sound like you've played many games. You can go back to the 90s and find games with human relationships, and it's only evolved as a story telling medium since then.
cajunaggie08
AG

Chuck Cunningham said:

Please stop watching.

I havent played the video game yet, but my understanding from what friends have told me is they did manage to make a great video game out of human relationships. My understanding is it isn't Left 4 Dead or Halo
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
How are they going to invest an entire hour into building a character and then have him die before he has any real interaction with the main characters? I will give them one more episode, but they are on thin ice with me. Three episodes in and I haven't really built any kind of connection with any characters. Not sure where the great acting has been seen. Pedro is just playing the Mandolorean again. Ron Swanson didn't really reach too far out of his comfort zone. Quiet, gruff, with a few hard hitters. They are doing fine, but let's not pretend they are suddenly Don Cheadle.
Rudyjax
AG
Proc92 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Proc92 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Please stop watching.

Please stop watching.

But you can post that if they didn't love an episode that they should stop watching as it isn't the show for them? Rational. Should make for an interesting discussion.

It makes no sense to watch a show you don't like then ***** about it on the internet.
cajunaggie08
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

Proc92 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Proc92 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Please stop watching.

Please stop watching.

It makes no sense to watch a show you don't like then ***** about it on the internet.
I used to think that then I hate watched the last few years of The Walking Dead. It happens
Rudyjax
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Proc92 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Proc92 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Please stop watching.

Please stop watching.

I used to think that then I hate watched the last few years of The Walking Dead. It happens

That makes no sense to me. There's too much in life to enjoy then to watch something you hate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.