*** THE LAST OF US *** (Non-Gamer Thread)

182,828 Views | 2419 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by jokershady
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BenFiasco14 said:

Meh. What we saw in the episode should've been cut way down then get back to the present plot. What they were trying to convey didn't need an entire episode.
definitely a pacing and placement issue.

frustratingly stupid to place it here where Joel is left in his condition, and we are in the back quarter of the season.

should have been way earlier in the series and much less time dedicated to it.
Rudyjax
AG
Nothing wrong with this episode.

And All or None.
Quad Dog
AG
Should have had them go to a Build A Bear where Ellie learned to sew close a hole correctly.
JDUB08AG
AG
I have liked all episodes to date. This one just wasn't that great. Wasted a lot of time with this in a limited 9 episode season.
Jimmy McNulty
LB12Diamond
AG
I was like. Are they still in the mall? Longest date ever!!

As good as episode 3 was with Bill and Franks back story which covered 20 years.

They use one episode for another back story that covered mostly one night.

Least fav episode so far.
Trucker 96
Thought it was okay, but definitely needed some "wonders of the mall" editing.
Madmarttigan
AG
Pretty much just meh and boring. Filler episode which I didn't really think this series was going to have a ton of.
Formerly tv1113
Engine10
AG
Agree they needed to payoff the backstory here a bit but I'm with the others, that coulda half the time and earlier in the season. They were due for a stumble, preview for next week looks back on track

Trucker 96
Tommy and his wife seem like the only people interested in repopulating the world
beanbean
Ellie makes so much damn noise everywhere she goes. That's what annoys me about this show. You'd think you'd try to be as quiet as possible in this world.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Episode sucked... so now we have not one but two gay love episodes that didn't really advance the show.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
TitanAGGIE09 said:

Episode sucked... so now we have not one but two gay love episodes that didn't really advance the show.

Was waiting for this lol
schmendeler
AG
I enjoyed it. Some people act like it's a race to get to a finish line. Just enjoy the ride.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I kept my expectations low the entire season for this episode, and I ended up coming out of it liking it.
If I had been hyped up for the episode based on the previous 6 like I'm sure a lot here were, I probably would have been disappointed, too.

The mall set was really well done. Victoria's Secret scene was funny. Mortal Kombat 2 was great Ed Boon's masterpiece lives on in the apocalypse!

This storyline is very much extra and not necessary for the main story. But this was better than episode 4 imo.

Still impressed by the all the Easter eggs they're fitting into this series for all the game players.
C@LAg
beanbean said:

Ellie makes so much damn noise everywhere she goes. That's what annoys me about this show. You'd think you'd try to be as quiet as possible in this world.
BowSowy
AG
Yeah, wasn't a fan of that episode. At least there was some tension with an infected, which I think has been missing somewhat. But man, it felt like too much wasted time.
jokershady
AG
TitanAGGIE09 said:

massive fan of the game. This was in the game and a dang near perfect remake of the DLC from the game…..

Just throwing it out there they didn't add this in for the show we fans new this was coming….
beagle2009
AG
Thought this episode was good, not great. Was happy they addressed how Ellie got bit which was never explained previously. Those whining need to take a chill pill.
JDUB08AG
AG
beagle2009 said:

Thought this episode was good, not great. Was happy they addressed how Ellie got bit which was never explained previously. Those whining need to take a chill pill.

They could have done that in 10 min, not 60 min. Episode was ok, but honestly underwhelming in a 9 episode season.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
First episode I've needed fast forward.
Swarely
Agree that the pacing was bad. Also, how on earth did they not think going there was a terrible idea?
Prosperdick
AG
Metaphor for the episode was the underdeveloped roll of film. We didn't need all that filler to convey what they wanted to convey. This was the first episode I felt they didn't understand pacing.
cr06gis
AG
I fast forward thru probably 60% of this ep. Worthless filler. Like 6 minutes of actual storyline. Booooring. The last episode was great, what a let down.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
At its core, this show is still an adaptation of a video game

The plot in tonight's episode is supplemental content on the game side. Calling it filler is accurate, and that's ok
Saxsoon
AG
TitanAGGIE09 said:

Anyone who starred this might want to bail for season 2
Saxsoon
AG
schmendeler said:

I enjoyed it. Some people act like it's a race to get to a finish line. Just enjoy the ride.

Journey before destination

It was a good episode that gives important background on the world and Ellie. It shows why she won't give up on Joel. The set design for the mall was incredible
AlaskanAg99
AG
Again. What took 60 minutes could have been done in 10-15. We already knew Ellie's only hope is Joel, she literally said that in the last episode and we already know Joel will do whatever it takes to protect her. This has already been established.

Unferstanding Ellies history with in the compound and how she was bit was also important, but 40 mins screwing around in a mall was just filler. TWD has the capacity to do this time of backstory but we're talking 9 episodes, not 20+ per season. Could go from ep 6, skip 7, watch 8 and nothing critical has been missed.

Just a let down on what has been a pretty good series thus far. Now if Ellies backpack has 8 pipe bombs that come into play later, then E7 has more context. But I don't think her Jansport is a mini armory.
aTm '99
jokershady
AG
Lol....post this on the gamer thread....it'll make much more sense over there

that's hilarious!
aTmAg
AG
I think the show missed an opportunity at the mall. First of all, I think there is pretty much no way for Ellie to stab a dude in the head with a switch blade. That was Walking Dead-esq. Those aren't Rambo knives or anything, and we've already seen fungus act like kevlar to bullets. What I think they should have done is have Riley risk herself more to save Ellie. Then let that be the motivation on why Ellie decides to bust her ass to save Joel. The way they did it in the show, the two weren't really that related. It was like the mall and Joel chapters were interleaved for no reason.

I think they should have had it where the zombie dude attacks Ellie after she left angrily, and Riley comes to rescue her. She shoots the dude, but of course it has fungus kevlar. Have the dude go after Riley while she tells Ellie to run. And then have the dude pin Riley down, chewing on her arm, and then she shoves the gun between kevlar fungus folds and shoots him in his actual skull. That would reenforce that these are hard to kill.

Now Ellie would feel guilty that she didn't do more to help Riley and take Riley as inspiration for the future. The fact that she is immune and lives through this attack would be a new lease on life and reason to live. She was NOT going to abandon Joel like she sat and watched Riley get attacked.
Velvet Jones
AG
Trucker 96 said:

Tommy and his wife seem like the only people interested in repopulating the world
They're the only characters on the show who aren't *******s.
Quinn
AG
Saxsoon said:

schmendeler said:

Journey before destination

It was a good episode that gives important background on the world and Ellie. It shows why she won't give up on Joel. The set design for the mall was incredible

Set design? I'm pretty sure they filmed that at Post Oak Mall.
Saxsoon
Quinn
AG
beagle2009 said:

They had said in episode 1 or 2 that she was bitten in the mall, so we knew where it happened, just not the full detail. I wish they would have shown how she was captured and brought in by the fireflies if they were going to spend an entire episode on that story. I didn't hate the episode, just thought it was okay. Could have done half an episode focused on the flash back and half on the current story line.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quinn said:

beagle2009 said:

They had said in episode 1 or 2 that she was bitten in the mall, so we knew where it happened, just not the full detail. I wish they would have shown how she was captured and brought in by the fireflies if they were going to spend an entire episode on that story. I didn't hate the episode, just thought it was okay. Could have done half an episode focused on the flash back and half on the current story line.

My thoughts exactly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.