*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,445 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

You guys call the first Captain America movie the cheesiest, but I view that as intentional, rather than unintentional. Captain America is meant to be the "All-American" hero, who stands for ideals that are cheesy to most regular people, especially nowadays.
I think the "cheese" factor to the first Captain America movie was essential in setting up and understanding his character, and it allows us to appreciate him for who he is today, which to me is the true leader and heart of the team (versus Iron Man). I've come to appreciate that movie the more I watch it.
Iron Man gets people to follow him based on logic, Captain America gets people to follow him based on heart. And the first Captain America movie did a fantastic job of setting up that character trait.
I may just be a sucker for WWII as a setting for books/movies, but I really like the first Captain America
dave94
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

You guys call the first Captain America movie the cheesiest, but I view that as intentional, rather than unintentional. Captain America is meant to be the "All-American" hero, who stands for ideals that are cheesy to most regular people, especially nowadays.
I think the "cheese" factor to the first Captain America movie was essential in setting up and understanding his character, and it allows us to appreciate him for who he is today, which to me is the true leader and heart of the team (versus Iron Man). I've come to appreciate that movie the more I watch it.
Iron Man gets people to follow him based on logic, Captain America gets people to follow him based on heart. And the first Captain America movie did a fantastic job of setting up that character trait.
I don't consider the First Avenger to be cheesy at all. Cap's trilogy is really the strongest of the other solo triples, just a great character arc for him.

FL_Ag1998
AG
Agreed with both of you.
AgfromHOU
AG
I know it's supoosed to be, and I like it for that. It's actually one of my favorite Marvel movies and very rewatchable.

Both of the AntMan movies and Aquaman are supposed to be cheesy as well and it works well with all of those movies.
AgMarauder04
AG
AgfromHOU said:

I know it's supoosed to be, and I like it for that. It's actually one of my favorite Marvel movies and very rewatchable.

Both of the AntMan movies and Aquaman are supposed to be cheesy as well and it works well with all of those movies.

Agree. First Cap is one of my favorites.
Duncan Idaho

Don't get this. Why doesn't rotten tomatoes disable audience reviews until the film has been officially released.
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/19/captain-marvel-rotten-tomatoes-fake-reviews-sabotage/
wangus12
AG
Because its a trash website with a trash rating system
DTP02
AG
For the first time I'm thinking I may end up watching a movie that really does nothing for me to this point, Captain Marvel, because of how the character will tie in to another movie, Endgame. I don't know anything about the superhero, the actress is kinda bland, and the teasers haven't gotten me excited. There's no way I'd see this movie at theaters without Endgame looming.

Obviously Marvel has high hopes of bootstrapping Captain Marvel's numbers by association with Endgame. I wonder if (hope that, really) they are overstating Captain Marvel's significance to Endgame in order to get people like me to go to Captain Marvel. Savvy marketing if so.
HoustonAg2106
AG
DTP02 said:

For the first time I'm thinking I may end up watching a movie that really does nothing for me to this point, Captain Marvel, because of how the character will tie in to another movie, Endgame. I don't know anything about the superhero, the actress is kinda bland, and the teasers haven't gotten me excited. There's no way I'd see this movie at theaters without Endgame looming.

Obviously Marvel has high hopes of bootstrapping Captain Marvel's numbers by association with Endgame. I wonder if (hope that, really) they are overstating Captain Marvel's significance to Endgame in order to get people like me to go to Captain Marvel. Savvy marketing if so.
Why do you hope that you a getting tricked into seeing a movie you have no interest in?
The Collective
AG
I think he is just merely hoping that Captain Marvel isn't that important to the overall story that will be completed in Endgame.
DTP02
AG
CJS4715 said:

I think he is just merely hoping that Captain Marvel isn't that important to the overall story that will be completed in Endgame.

Correct. They've implied that Captain Marvel will have a pivotal role in Endgame, and be so powerful as to be overpowered, and I'd hate to see a newcomer that I'm not invested in play a big part in the "finale."
AgMarauder04
AG
Marvel is the "big" of the next round of Marvel, I think. Give her a small, important part but then hopefully give way for the OG Avengers for Endgame.
FarmerJohn
AG
I hope not, just because Brie Larson doesn't have the charisma like RDJ. Good actress doesn't mean movie star.
chipotle
After seeing trailers and previews I really don't want to watch captain marvel. Only going to because it ties into marvel universe.
TXAG 05
AG
FarmerJohn said:

I hope not, just because Brie Larson doesn't have the charisma like RDJ. Good actress doesn't mean movie star.

No matter what she does, she will always be the au pair on The League who wanted to do a Golden Gate Bridge with Raffi
AgMarauder04
AG
FarmerJohn said:

I thought Feige already said she was?
10thYrSr
DTP02 said:

I felt the same way about Ant Man. Now it is one of my favorites.
TCTTS
AG
Reminder that the social media reaction embargo lifts tonight at 11:30 CST. Critics are currently watching it as we speak...
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Reminder that the social media reaction embargo lifts tonight at 11:30 CST. Critics are currently watching it as we speak...
We'll have to filter through the usual bull**** critics who will just give it a good score because of Larson's personal story, just like the people who will give it a negative review no matter what.

You have any critics that you find generally tend to be above all of that?
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
This critic site is very impartial.

ILC@theater
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

FancyKetchup14
AG
I think Ben Mendelsohn is a really underrated actor.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
double aught
AG
Interesting. Thanks for posting these.
TCTTS
AG
wangus12
AG
Seems to be getting decent reviews. You can always bet on Mendelson being a great villain
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.