*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,448 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
JonSnow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just saw with my daughter. We both loved it. Not GoAT Marvel but very good.
wangus12
AG
I thought it was perfectly fine. Another good Marvel movie on the list. I thought Larson did a solid job as Danvers and had much more charisma than in the trailers. I do think they tried to shoehorn a few to many jokes into the writing, but that was really it.

My only other concern was that she seems incredibly OP, but they'll probably find some way to slightly nerf her powers.
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Best part was hearing Come As You Are.

Amen dude. I was gonna be severely disappointed if they didn't have some Nirvana.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
BigTimeAlum
AG
The movie was solid. They kept the Kree thematic
consistent. Told a coherent story. I don't love Larson, especially given how much the rest of the MCU actors have owned their roles, but she was good.

I thought they did a great job with the girl power. Most of the themes were human themes everyone should be behind.

I am not concerned with her powers anymore. They made her powers derived from the Tereract. Much like what we saw from Vision and scarlet Witch, that is incredible power, but not uncontrollable power. I hope they stick with that in End Game.
bangobango
AG
I'll bet money right now it doesn't hit $130 million. Can't believe some of you eat that crap up still.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
bangobango
AG
AliasMan02 said:

The ceaseless "wahman" stuff makes you sound like a total psycho.

No it doesn't.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
bangobango
AG
C@LAg said:

bangobango said:

I'll bet money right now it doesn't hit $130 million. Can't believe some of you eat that crap up still.
possible, but it is reportedly earning a $20-24MM Thursday night showing total, has a lot of sell outs for the weekend, and no real competition in cinemas or elsewhere

Even with mediocre word of mouth $120-130MM is very reasonable.

I think it will do it.

There are a bunch of people that would see a dog pooping on a loop if it had marvel or starvwars or some other franchise name attached to it. You can see a lot of them on this thread. It may have a strong Thursday premier, but it will tank from here on out.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Madmarttigan
AG
Being the last movie before end game will easily carry this through the box office.
Formerly tv1113
AMW2010
AG
Where's Fury?
TajMaballer
AG
https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-opening-weekend-box-office-breaks-records-1202571905/

Yeah, this is going to make bank this weekend. I'm predicting 150 million.

As far as the movie goes, I dug it a lot. Fun and charming. Middle tier MCU is still a very good movie and nothing to scoff at. Excited to see more of her in Endgame.
Ag Since 83
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Ag Since 83 said:

It's not bad, but it's probably the lowest MCU effort since....Ultron? Dr. Strange maybe?
Dr. Strange a lower effort? Wow.
That's more of a personal preference thing. I don't care for the character/powers of the time stone because they're too convenient plot wise. When I was going backwards through the list of recent MCU movies it was the first one that wasn't clearly better than Captain Marvel in my opinion. But again, that's probably just a personal preference. At least that movie was bold.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
bangobango said:

C@LAg said:

bangobango said:

possible, but it is reportedly earning a $20-24MM Thursday night showing total, has a lot of sell outs for the weekend, and no real competition in cinemas or elsewhere

Even with mediocre word of mouth $120-130MM is very reasonable.

I think it will do it.

There are a bunch of people that would see a dog pooping on a loop if it had marvel or starvwars or some other franchise name attached to it. You can see a lot of them on this thread. It may have a strong Thursday premier, but it will tank from here on out.
Do you have a release date for Star Wars: Poop Loop because I want to buy advanced tickets.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Don't get me wrong. Larson is even starting to rub me wrong in her public appearances/interviews. This isn't about her, though. Take her out of the equation and put, say, Emily Blunt in the role (someone I assume we all like). Why is giving girls and young women someone to identify with and aspire to in the superhero realm - and marketing it as such - so annoying and seemingly even threatening to some of you?
My favorite post by you ever.

I have twin 7-year-old daughters. They don't know jack about Marvel or DC or anything else and they play Captain Marvel at home based on the commercials they've. One of them is a SW fan and when I took her to see Solo and Enfys Nest takes her helmet off to reveal she's a teenage girl, my daughter said "Wow, she's just like me."

I'll take that kind of "***** marketing" every day, all day for my girls to see heroes that look like them. Who's cutting the GD onions in here?
AgMarauder04
AG
TajMaballer said:

https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-opening-weekend-box-office-breaks-records-1202571905/

Yeah, this is going to make bank this weekend. I'm predicting 150 million.

As far as the movie goes, I dug it a lot. Fun and charming. Middle tier MCU is still a very good movie and nothing to scoff at. Excited to see more of her in Endgame.

What records did it break?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

One of them is a SW fan and when I took her to see Solo and Enfys Nest takes her helmet off to reveal she's a teenage girl, my daughter said "Wow, she's just like me."
Nice.

Better get to work on the other one, though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Okay, my only complaint will sound weird: I wasn't a fan of how they used the 90's music in the movie. Most of it just seemed kinda forced into some of the scenes. Like...."hey, remember this song?" Maybe if they picked some more obscure songs instead of just using all the songs on a "Greatest Hits of the 90's" CD.
I agree with most of that.

Funny enough, the best "soundtrack moment" for me, doesn't actually make a ton of sense, since they seem to be playing it from her memory, and it was not released until after Carol had left Earth.

Come As You Are was released in 92, she left Earth in 89.

That's a nitpick, admittedly, as far as the soundtrack goes. Can't complain too much since it's a great song and most of the theater seemed into it.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
bangobango said:

So you saw the movie last night?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
His shtick is to go into every Marvel and Star Wars thread just to be condescending, I wouldn't put much stock in what he says in here.

He needs to go back to the Shadow Temple.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Forgot to mention last night - Fury losing his eye to a cat scratch was dumb as hell.
rhutton125
AG
Yeah - that seemed like subverting expectations via making a joke that everyone on Reddit already made.

Ah well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Today is International Women's Day. Interesting coincidence.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Today is International Women's Day. Interesting coincidence.
And Black Panther came out during Black History Month. So what?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You seem defensive. Wasn't a sarcastic post.

I didn't think they'd purposely hold it until March just to coincide with a random women's holiday. Maybe they did, though.
wangus12
AG
I will say that last night was one of the first times I was extremely disappointed in Alamo Drafthouse. They usually are pretty fun to go to on opening night for these types of movies with people cosplaying and trivia and stuff. They typically have someone come in and introduce the movie before the film starts and that was where the problems. The guy got up there and basically dropped a bunch of spoilers on people regarding the movie and the post-credit scenes.

There were also a bunch of cosplay girls a couple rows behind us that wouldn't shut up during the movie by trying to outdo each other in terms of their knowledge of Captain Marvel lore.

And finally, some dude showed up dressed like a jedi with a green lightsaber that he lit multiple times. (I simply assumed this was BES)
Aggie94
AG
Man, it wasn't a "cat scratch", it was a friggin' flerken.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Saw it last night. It is definitely a tier 2 Marvel movie, but I think its a better origin movie than Doctor Strange or Ant-Man. It ranks right under Iron Man 3 for me (which would make it #13 out of 21 movies).

I thought the cast as a whole was great. Brie Larson was probably the weakest part of the whole cast, but thats just because her character had amnesia the whole movie so....its kinda hard to be interesting when you don't really know who you are.

Some thoughts:

They could have done better with her coming to terms with who she is/was. We as an audience don't really know other than the images of her standing back up after falling down several times. We know she is stubborn, doesn't take orders, and cares for her friends....so like any super hero ever.

I loved the 90s elements, in fact there could have been more in my opinion. The best laugh in our theater was when the video was loading on the computer and everyone is just staring at it

Great soundtrack

It definitely sets the table for some interesting and weirder sequels. This is why the movie ranks higher on the scale for me. This world can definitely expand in ways that I am interested in coming back to, as opposed to Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, and even the first Thor movies.

And.....I am really hoping that the Russos (true to form) can clean up her character a bit with Endgame. They have been successful so far in making under-drawn or uninteresting characters pop a bit more in their films (Scarlet Witch, Vision, even Black Widow to a certain degree, although Joss Whedon can also be also be credited for that). So if CM is going to play a bigger role that I thought based on the end credits tag then I think they will salvage her a bit, which may make this movie even more enjoyable in retrospect. Kinda how Thor: Ragnorak made me enjoy Thor a bit more in Age of Ultron when I re-watched it recently (its still a bad movie btw).

Also, side note on the feminist conversation. The movie didn't explicit state that her being a woman mattered to her powers, but it did imply that she was a hero because she was a woman. It showed that being a woman in the Air Force in the 80s meant she couldn't fly combat missions. Her flashbacks were stacked with men putting her in her place, and there is a rebelliousness in her that comes out because of her drive to do big things and constantly being told she can't. All implied not stated. Maybe that is more backstory than causation, but I think there is an argument there for cause/effect.

End of thoughts.
Aggie94
AG
You fixed it
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You seem defensive. Wasn't a sarcastic post.

I didn't think they'd purposely hold it until March just to coincide with a random women's holiday. Maybe they did, though.
Sorry, this thread has just taken it's toll on me. I'd rather just discuss the movie now that I've seen it. I'll try and be less defensive and write a more in-depth review in a little while.
Ag Since 83
AG
Pros:

1. Mendelsohn's character and his story. Definitely the highlight of the third act

2. Best Stan Lee cameo yet as himself?

Cons:

1. A return to Phase 1 and Phase 2 problems with a lame villain-not-named-Loki. Plus Ronan served no purpose in the movie accept for setting up other movies. He really didn't need to be there

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Aggie94 said:

Man, it wasn't a "cat scratch", it was a friggin' flerken.
Yeah, saying you lost your eye while performing a dangerous mission to save democracy sounds a lot better than "I lost it to a cute Lovecraftian alien cat who scratched me."
Flashdiaz
AG
before this thread gets too spoilery...

is it necessary to watch this one before End Game or can one get the gist of Capt. Marvel's role without seeing the standalone movie?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.