*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,466 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never said. I'm not sure they ever referred to her as a captain in the air force, either.

Edit: before Fury looked at the picture, anyway
MandoArms
That is a good point. Marvel wasn't even mentioned until the last scene with Fury and Danvers.
IG: mando_arms
jabberwalkie09
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The name "Captain Marvel" is never mentioned, right?

Makes me wonder if she doesn't take up the moniker of Captain after Cap's possible death in Endgame.

Damn, you're right.
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Makes me wonder if she doesn't take up the moniker of Captain after Cap's possible death in Endgame.
if Cap winds up dying, i'd much rather have carol start using the Captain Marvel moniker than any other current hero taking up the "Captain America" mantle.

though i'll say, i really like the way the MCU humanizes all the characters by using their names. seems like when nicknames or aliases are used, it's usually by "outsiders".
Fairview
AG
It makes scenes like this funny.

Pro Ag
AG
jackie childs said:

Cibalo said:

did anyone else have the new Spiderman movie trailer shown before the movie?

those that follow closely knew it was coming out but if Marvel is trying to keep with the timeline that Spidy is dust in the wind shouldn't they wait to release a trailer until after Endgame?
ideally, yes

but this is a business and in this instance, even more complicated because sony actually owns the rights to the spidey films, not marvel. from a business perspective, it just doesn't make sense to put the production of all other films on hold so as not to spoil endgame.

from a story-telling standpoint, i'm not sure they're really spoiling anything anyway. i think most people suspect, or even assume, that the "snap" will be undone in some form or fashion. the question then becomes how and at what potential cost.

Agree with the overall point, I do wish they left a certain character out of the trailer though even if we all assume something will reverse the snap. Even with it reversed, we should have some casualties and the trailer spoils that someone else makes it through Endgame.

And given the Spider-Man doesn't open until July I feel like they could have had a new trailer drop after Endgame.
AgfromHOU
AG
I believe that was a Sony decision to release and market the trailer.

Feige did say they would re-evaluate how they market movies going forward to not spoil other movies that haven't come out yet
Charlie Conway
Just got out of seeing the movie for the first time, thought it was overall good and entertaining, top half of the rankings of marvel movies

My biggest complaint though was some of the cgi was bad, I mean really bad
aggiepublius
AG
jackie childs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

if Cap winds up dying, i'd much rather have carol start using the Captain Marvel moniker than any other current hero taking up the "Captain America" mantle.

though i'll say, i really like the way the MCU humanizes all the characters by using their names. seems like when nicknames or aliases are used, it's usually by "outsiders".
In the comics, Bucky takes over the Captain America role. They seem to have set the possibility up as they have had Bucky handle the Cap's shield. In the comic universe, only those that went on to one day taken on the role have handled the shield.
dave94
AG
Charlie Conway said:

Just got out of seeing the movie for the first time, thought it was overall good and entertaining, top half of the rankings of marvel movies

I've only seen it once and was really impressed by the CGI during the final-ish space battle. Her flying effects were so damn perfect from a comics persoective, so I'm just curious which parts you didn't like.
PatAg
AG
dave94 said:

Charlie Conway said:

I've only seen it once and was really impressed by the CGI during the final-ish space battle. Her flying effects were so damn perfect from a comics persoective, so I'm just curious which parts you didn't like.
yea, first ive seen someone say they thought the CGI was bad
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

yea, first ive seen someone say they thought the CGI was bad
There's always someone who says the CGI is bad.
TCTTS
AG
The only time I bristled at the effects was when the cat turned into the monster, but that's about it. Otherwise, I thought the effects were great, and I'm usually pretty critical of stuff like that.
fightinags2013
AG
Thought whatever they did to make Coulson/Fury look younger looked much better on Fury. Felt like Coulson looked like a video game.
dave94
AG
TCTTS said:

The only time I bristled at the effects was when the cat turned into the monster, but that's about it. Otherwise, I thought the effects were great, and I'm usually pretty critical of stuff like that.

I did find it funny that yet another movie had tentacled monster-type affects ala Force Awakens, etc. I know that's the Lovecraftian base of the flerken, but I knew some would not dig that as soon as it happened.

I was good with it, just for the otherworldly shock and humor
Charlie Conway
When she was flying around and had the energy around her that helped blur over the cgi and I thought it looked pretty Good. I don't remember specific scenes but pretty much anytime she was animated but not in Binary mode
Candiru
AG
CGI was not very good in the mid 90s. Duh.
Charlie Conway
Damn you're right, that's on me, my bad
CoachRTM
AG
Fury was a really noticeable at the beginning, but I'll chalk that up to just seeing Samuel L. Jackson young again.

Completely forgot about it after 10 minutes. Really impressive overall.
fig96
AG
CoachRTM said:

Fury was a really noticeable at the beginning, but I'll chalk that up to just seeing Samuel L. Jackson young again.

Completely forgot about it after 10 minutes. Really impressive overall.
Yeah, they're gotten really good at nailing the de-aging thing over the last few years.

I've just kind of accepted the fact that SLJ doesn't age so it didn't bother me at all.
fig96
AG
Good related de-aging read:
How Marvel's de-aging effects evolved to pull off Captain Marvel
jabberwalkie09
AG
fightinags2013 said:

Thought whatever they did to make Coulson/Fury look younger looked much better on Fury. Felt like Coulson looked like a video game.

Coulson standing on the stairs when he catches Fury and Danvers, then subsequently let's them go was the most noticeable time where something looked a little off for Coulson. His face looked... a little too featureless?
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I wonder if that is because there is a lot more footage of young SLJ to work with than there is of young Clark Gregg?
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Candiru said:

CGI was not very good in the mid 90s. Duh.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Anyone notice the passage of time in the post credit scene?

At the end of the movie when fury as writing the avengers initiative he had an old white Mac.in post credit scene with goose, he had a big black Dell monitor
Pro Ag
AG
Nice catch, maybe that explains why it was some time before SHIELD started researching/experimenting with it.
AMW2010
AG
Just walked out of the theater... I actually really liked it.

The only time I thought her running was weird is when she didn't have her boots on inside the skrulls ship. And to everyone who says that she doesn't have a personality, in like the first 10 minutes of the movie that is explained, emotion is a sign of weakness. Then people complain about the supreme intelligence not being a giant green head or blob, whatever it is in the comics, that is also explained.... lot of people complained on this movie all which to the things were clearly explained....

Now that's outta the way...

Pacing felt well done. Loved the same Jackson scenes. He played a very good supporting cast role.
My only complaint is that it's been 6 years and you use your powers at the end like you've been doing it for a lifetime. To the same effect that the force just turns on inside Rey and she can wield a light saber as well or if. It better than kilo ren and he's been trained.

So basically she is pure, harnessed energy from an infinity stone trapped in a human body, fussed with cree blood.

Would love to see Monica's daughter show up as photon... if this is set in the 90's then when we get to end game, she now at the right age. Even if she didn't have any powers, she could basically be female version of Falcon or War Machine

I did get the whole vibe of the man holding me down the whole movie... but at the same time at the start I got the vibe of her not exactly listening to orders in battle. Either way that didn't bother me. Very intoto see how she plays a bigger picture in endgame, obvyshe knows about the snap because people were snapped around her as well. I wonder if her powers prevented her from being dusted. What's the age life on a flurkin? What if fury still has it. The only thing that still confuses me is are cree/ skroll good or bad... it's never seems clear and all about perspective on who's side you are on

Overall good movie, good music, would see again
PatAg
AG
I wasn't clear, did they finish draining the Kree blood?
TexasAggie_02
AG
One thing I thought about: Earth is supposed to be under the protection of Asgard. Surely Heimdall would've seen that there was a kree ship orbiting earth for a decade, and the arrival of Ronin.
AMW2010
AG
The aether was absorbed into Jane foster the same way the energy of the teseract went into Carol... could Jane have been a super hero the same way but with different powers... the mind stone was a part of vision and gave him his powers as well.
TexasAggie_02
AG
also, to all the people asking about the Tesseract

SPOILERS

• It was first seen hidden in a small village in Europe
  • Red Skull takes it and makes HYDRA weapons
  • During the final fight with Capt America aboard the bomber, it teleports red skull away, then burns through the floor and falls into the ocean
  • Howard stark retrieves it from the ocean bottom
  • Stark and Peggy Carter form SHIELD
  • ?????
  • Project PEGASUS begins research on it, and it is used by Mar-Vell to create a faster than light drive
  • Carol Danvers destroys the FTL drive, infusing its energy with her body
  • Goose swallows it
  • Goose regurgitates it some years later (judging by Fury's computer going from a white mac to a black dell with a giant CRT monitor, it's possibly early 2000s)
  • Project PEGASUS then resumes research on it, this time designing weapons
  • The tesseract is activated at the PEGASUS facility, teleporting Loki to Earth.
  • Loki uses the tesseract to build the space portal in NYC
  • After the battle of New York, Thor takes the Tesseract back to Asgard, where it is used to rebuild the Rainbow Bridge.
  • It remains in Odin's vault until Thor Ragnorak, where Loki retrieves it from the vault
  • Thanos takes the tesseract from Loki in Infinity War, and smashes it to remove the space stone from inside of it.
Malachi Constant
AG
?auto=webp&s=1b0793507da5f7b927dee6412d4543e1f60dd373
Malachi Constant
AG
?auto=webp&s=1b0793507da5f7b927dee6412d4543e1f60dd373
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

Very Men in Blackish...oh and the ones that criticized her running, It was worse than I thought going into it. I just left the theater and there were audible laughs during those scenes. There's one in particular where she's so crazy legged it almost looks intentional.
Bulldog73
AG
Again, I saw it in drive in with a toddler. What's up with the comments about her running?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.