*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,484 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Again, I saw it in drive in with a toddler. What's up with the comments about her running?
Since I read the comments I was looking for it but the best way to describe it is her legs are spastic and not fluid at all...her arms look fluid but she has no control over her legs and it looks ridiculous, especially for a superhero.
redline248
AG
2 things I always notice in movies. Really bad running and really bad throwing of a baseball/football/etc. Brie Larson is a bad runner. Like she never learned how until she filmed this movie.
Sex Panther
AG
To me it's pretty simple, Brie Larson just isn't an athlete.

Movie magic can do a lot. Damon looked like a ninja in the Bourne series and plenty of other actors have been able to portray athletes, but sometimes it's clear that they just aren't. Chris Evans, Hemsworth, Jeremy Renner... those guys are legit athletes. So it looks natural when they are doing superhero stuff. Brie Larson doesn't really pull it off, when she runs it just looks funny. It's not a huge deal, but for some its noticeable.

And so Brie doesn't think I'm being a sexist, the other women of the MCU pull it off and really well. Zoe Saldana and Evangeline Lilly are straight up studs. They look legit when they fight and run. I actually think Scarlett Johannson does as well. Gal Gadot is definitely an athlete too, so even though she wasn't built like Wonder Woman and a little skinnier than what most people wanted, she could do the stunts and choreography really well.
AgfromHOU
AG
That's because Gal Gadot underwent Israeli military training and served for her country
Prosperdick
AG
redline248 said:

2 things I always notice in movies. Really bad running and really bad throwing of a baseball/football/etc. Brie Larson is a bad runner. Like she never learned how until she filmed this movie.
There were only a couple of scenes where it was noticeable but you can't miss them. With as many choppy jump cuts as action movies have these days it's curious they didn't just edit it out or do a better job of covering it up...
Sex Panther
AG
I know, and it showed
AgfromHOU
AG
Holy *****.
"Fans" are upset that Captain Marvel is wearing makeup in the Endgame trailer

https://www.allure.com/story/captain-marvel-fans-angry-brie-larson-makeup-avengers-end-game
Stupe
S
redline248 said:

How many actors were athletes at the jr. high / high school level? I would guess not a very high percentage outside of the athlete-turned-actor group.
02skiag
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Holy *****.
"Fans" are upset that Captain Marvel is wearing makeup in the Endgame trailer

https://www.allure.com/story/captain-marvel-fans-angry-brie-larson-makeup-avengers-end-game

If any of those weirdos knew they were about to meet Thor they would all spend significant time in front of the mirror as well.
PatAg
AG
I guess I didn't notice the running as much as some of you. The only time I can really think of something like that being noticeable was the Flash at the end of Justice League.
Whos Juan
AG
PatAg said:

I guess I didn't notice the running as much as some of you. The only time I can really think of something like that being noticeable was the Flash at the end of Justice League.
or anytime Steven Seagal ran in a movie
fig96
AG
Stupe said:

redline248 said:

How many actors were athletes at the jr. high / high school level? I would guess not a very high percentage outside of the athlete-turned-actor group.
I think you may overestimate how many pretty big name actors were drama types in high school.
rhutton125
AG
I didn't really notice with CM, but Jessica Jones and JL's The Flash definitely stood out to me. Holy hell, what was that with the Flash? Maybe they wanted it to look like he was skating but for someone who's sole power is running, it sure didn't look like he had ever run before.
AgfromHOU
AG
He was on a treadmill during that scene.

So glad Snyder be gone
jr15aggie
AG
This one definitely goes into the Thor 2, Iron Man 3, Black Panther category. Saw it, enjoyed it, is relevant to the overall universe, will never watch it again.

Bring on End Game!
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
israeliag
AG
Sorry if this was discussed before:

When Ronin shows up, his fleet jumped out of a jump-point right above Earth, right? Why then did Loki need Tesseract in Avengers 1 to open a portal and didn't just use that jump-point? Did it get destroyed between those two events? Was it as simple as the Chitauri army not having ships/monsters that could use the jump-points? Or is this a minor plot hole?

Also, did Thanos' ring ships use those same jump-points when arriving at/fleeing Earth in Avengers IW?
schmendeler
AG
israeliag said:

Sorry if this was discussed before:

When Ronin shows up, his fleet jumped out of a jump-point right above Earth, right? Why then did Loki need Tesseract in Avengers 1 to open a portal and didn't just use that jump-point? Did it get destroyed between those two events? Was it as simple as the Chitauri army not having ships/monsters that could use the jump-points? Or is this a minor plot hole?

Also, did Thanos' ring ships use those same jump-points when arriving at/fleeing Earth in Avengers IW?

if the jump points are fixed in space (rather then a point relative to the earth), then perhaps the earth/solar system was no longer near a jump-point at the time of those events?
redline248
AG
Loki's portal put the invaders right in the air over New York. Didn't have to go through atmosphere and fly around. Plus, we don't know how many jumps Ronan needed, or the chitauri would have needed. Portal is faster.

Also, maybe Marvel hadn't planned out jump points yet. Did those show up in guardians 1 or 2?
TexasAggie_02
AG
Guardians 2.

Also, depending on distance jumps can take weeks or more. Bifrost and portals are faster
MooreTrucker
AG
Saw it tonight. Pretty good, but the "girl power" stuff was a bit in your face. And the naming of the Avengers Initiative was a bit cheesy. I love the mid-credit scene.
MooreTrucker
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

Even trying to get some background on Wikipedia today proved tedious and confusing.
It's a Marvel Comics character created in the 70's, so yes that it is accurate. The movies have been successful by picking one version or one storyline and repacking it for simple, linear plots. So even people who know their comic book history don't know what the movie's going to do until they release information. All I can tell from the one trailer I've watched is that we're probably gonna see some cool alien shape-shifting.
Just waded into this thread after seeing the movie last night. Alamo Drafthouse had a really cool pregame feature that delved into all the various Captain Marvel's from the beginning to now in Follett (?), DC, and Marvel comics. It was very interesting.

Also a fun retrospective of Brie Larson, pop singer.
MooreTrucker
AG
rhutton125 said:

So unless a Captain Marvel character has something to do with Hawkeye, I don't think we'd be seeing something so unrelated to the film we just watched. Probably one post-credits picking up immediately after the end of the film, maybe how she ends up in the present day or whatever message she gets on her pager, and then maybe one more post-credits with a funny scene with her cat or something.

I feel like I almost always set my hopes way too high for a post-credits, and leave the theater with an unenthusiastic "hmm," so I'm just throwing some data out there to adjust expectations.
From page 3, early January
rhutton125
AG
Thank you, thank you.

I also turned to my friends after the 1st post-credits and said "it's probably a returning joke - I bet the cat coughs up the Tesseract or something."

Tune in next month for my Endgame post-credits predictions!
MooreTrucker
AG
C@LAg said:

5. and getting spoilery The movie barely even addresses the whole woman power aspect at all

I don't know if this has been addressed or not because I'm only 10 pages or so in, but......

Hell yeah it did. Hell, even the big fight scene had Gwen Stefani's I'm Just a Girl.
AgfromHOU
AG
So what?
AgfromHOU
AG
Marvel has always been on the side of social justice.

Why do you think the X-Men were created? Racism.

Why do you think Miles Morales was created? Or Riri Williams (Ironheart), or Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel)?
MooreTrucker
AG
AgfromHOU said:

So what?
So that's an example, and it more than "barely addresses it".
AgfromHOU
AG
Still. So what? It's a movie about a woman superhero.

The other movies have had plenty of "manly" things, like Banner falling on Natasha's boobs or Valkyrie using a huge gun like it's a huge *****.
Urban Ag
AG
rhutton125 said:

Thank you, thank you.

I also turned to my friends after the 1st post-credits and said "it's probably a returning joke - I bet the cat coughs up the Tesseract or something."

I predict Tony is going to want to go out for shwarma.
GreasenUSA
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

Even trying to get some background on Wikipedia today proved tedious and confusing.
It's a Marvel Comics character created in the 70's, so yes that it is accurate. The movies have been successful by picking one version or one storyline and repacking it for simple, linear plots. So even people who know their comic book history don't know what the movie's going to do until they release information. All I can tell from the one trailer I've watched is that we're probably gonna see some cool alien shape-shifting.
Just waded into this thread after seeing the movie last night. Alamo Drafthouse had a really cool pregame feature that delved into all the various Captain Marvel's from the beginning to now in Follett (?), DC, and Marvel comics. It was very interesting.

Also a fun retrospective of Brie Larson, pop singer.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/03/15/watch-the-fascinating-history-of-the-captain-marvels

I really enjoyed those too. I also wish I could find the video showing the animated history to the tune of the "Have You Seen Her" by the Chi-Lites
texasaggie04
AG
Urban Ag said:

rhutton125 said:

Thank you, thank you.

I predict Tony is going to want to go out for shwarma.

Star for a very clever post. How wicked would it be though if that was the post credits scene to endgame and then they zoomed in on ant man who was chilling there the whole time?
OnlyForNow
AG
The Chitari ships needed to come down directly into Earth's atmosphere, not out in space, because they didn't know if Earth had used the Tesseract to develop weapons, had they jumped to space then they potentially could have been shot down, it also seems that nukes woulda done them in, in space.
jeffk
AG
Have we talked about Fury calling it SHIELD instead of the full spelled out name (since Colson "invents" that in Iron Man 1?
redline248
AG
Someone else mentioned it, but I don't remember a lot of discussion. I thought it was weird during the movie

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.