*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,493 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yup. The Stan Lee tribute was awesome. My whole theater clapped. Very nice send off. Excelsior Mr Lee!
dave94
AG
I saw it Saturday afternoon and have a lot to think about before really getting into it.

Ugh, having issues with the spoiler tags
Kate Beckett
AG
Went a second time last night and enjoyed it as much as I did the first time and caught some other nuances I missed.
AgfromHOU
AG
Good to hear. I'm going Tuesday, and probably again on Thursday.
Pro Ag
AG
I thought it was good or an average Marvel movie. I knew virtually nothing about the character going in and I feel like they could have done some things better. As others have said, it appears you could go into the last movie without seeing this one.

I wish Agent Carter was still around or they did more cross over with Agents of Shield so we could have the chance to know how Mar-vell got the tessaract. Given she's a Kree, I'm not surprised she was able to obtain it but I still would like to get something there. Maybe Pegasus was a Stark initiative and someone more knowledgeable about comics can comment.

I was a little bummed knowing more about the Kree from Agents of Shield and them reusing Korath (guy from the GotG Who? Meme) making it very apparent the Kree were bad and not that they turned bad in some event we weren't going to hear about.

Last thing is very minor, but I feel like they've done a good job with continuity. I don't know a ton about glass eyes, but if Fury needed to pick one out it seems like his eye would be in bad enough shape they needed to remove his eye but we know they don't from Civil War when he uses the eye under the patch for retinal scans.
Bulldog73
AG
We saw it in drive in last night (bad way to see this type of movie, as effects were hard to see, but we went with our little kid who couldn't have sat through a regular movie). It was entertaining, and we enjoyed it. I'll have to see it again at some point to pick up on some things we missed.

Larson did seem a little stiff, especially in the beginning, but, duh. I really liked the introduction to Coulson. Good not great film IMO.
TCTTS
AG
bangobango said:

I'll bet money right now it doesn't hit $130 million. Can't believe some of you eat that crap up still.

Liquid Wrench
Question about format:

My theater has it in Imax, Real 3D, Digital 3D, and digital. I usually prefer regular old standard format; is there anything about this movie that would make you choose a different format?
rhutton125
AG
And just wait 'til all the men end their boycott! That's when the real money will start rolling in.

Some of the dumbest **** I've ever seen.
TCTTS
AG
This is the only thing that really bothered me...

TCTTS
AG
Apparently his tweets can't be shared, but this is what he said...

The wildest thing about CAPTAIN MARVEL is that it doesn't explain to general audiences why a lightspeed engine would be of value in this world where we see spaceships jump across the galaxy.
TCTTS
AG
Incredible. I just can't fathom how sad someone's life must be to devote time and effort to sh*t like that.
Fairview
AG
TCTTS said:

The wildest thing about CAPTAIN MARVEL is that it doesn't explain to general audiences why a lightspeed engine would be of value in this world where we see spaceships jump across the galaxy.

Maybe to avoid this -

In reality I have no clue and it's a good question.
TCTTS
AG
Ok, then he follows it up with this, and I guess it makes sense, but a single line explanation would have helped...

(It's because in the MCU it seems that spaceships can only jump through some sort of pre-existing warp gate system, but the lightspeed engine would allow you to just drive wherever you wanted to go, even if there wasn't a warp gate already there.)
Pro Ag
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Question about format:

My theater has it in Imax, Real 3D, Digital 3D, and digital. I usually prefer regular old standard format; is there anything about this movie that would make you choose a different format?

I saw it in IMAX, if I wasn't seeing it as part of my A-list, I would have just done it in digital. Can't speak to the 3D.
Urban Ag
AG
rhutton125 said:

And just wait 'til all the men end their boycott! That's when the real money will start rolling in.

Some of the dumbest **** I've ever seen.
Brie said she didn't want to hear their opinion, she didn't say they didn't want their money.
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

bangobango said:

I'll bet money right now it doesn't hit $130 million. Can't believe some of you eat that crap up still.

Nailed it.
Urban Ag
AG
quit acting like this didn't happen back in 2011

Quote:

INTRODUCING A CAMPAIGN TO MAKE THOR SAFE FOR SCANDINVIAN PEOPLE: I am calling on all Non-Nordic ancestral people to avoid seeing Thor, at least for the first four weeks of its theatrical distribution, to permit the legions of 'Thor Corps' fans to see the film in a positive, Sacred Norse, Scandinavian-only* space.

* To include people of or descendant of the three kingdoms of Denmark, Sweden, and Norway, later amended to include peoples of Finnish and/or Icelandic heritage.

dave94
Noblemen06
AG
Wife and I saw it this afternoon and both were underwhelmed. Jackson, Mendelsohn, and the cat were bright spots. Larson and the story were just...boring. I hope the Russo Bros can get more out of her in Endgame and she conjurs up some charisma in the future if she's going to be the key player in the MCU afterward. CM is at bottom tier of the MCU with the Hulk for me.
bthotugigem05
AG
It was enjoyable enough, but I felt like they depended on Larsen's "pluckiness" too much.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

bangobango said:

We will not see that jackass on this thread again.....
dmart90
AG
Noblemen06 said:

Wife and I saw it this afternoon and both were underwhelmed. Jackson, Mendelsohn, and the cat were bright spots. Larson and the story were just...boring. I hope the Russo Bros can get more out of her in Endgame and she conjurs up some charisma in the future if she's going to be the key player in the MCU afterward. CM is at bottom tier of the MCU with the Hulk for me.
My wife and I saw it and enjoyed it. We thought it was better than Black Panther. They did a good job of filling in her back story, tying it (loosely) to Guardians, and it was generally entertaining. Her "funny" lines were lame; but otherwise she was fine. Fury was solid as always. Jude Law was pretty solid. Annette Bening was just awful. All in all, I'd rate it a mid-tier Marvel movie.
Dr. Horrible
Pro Ag said:

I thought it was good or an average Marvel movie. I knew virtually nothing about the character going in and I feel like they could have done some things better. As others have said, it appears you could go into the last movie without seeing this one.

I was a little bummed knowing more about the Kree from Agents of Shield and them reusing Korath (guy from the GotG Who? Meme) making it very apparent the Kree were bad and not that they turned bad in some event we weren't going to hear about.
From GotG, only Ronan was really bad, and he was set up to be a defector from the rest of the Kree. The rest of the Kree weren't going to stop him, but they weren't trying to annihilate everyone either. As for AoS, I got so bored in that season that I haven't finished it yet, so can't speak to it.

Agree with just about everyone else on this thread. Good, not great mid-tier movie. I have it at #9 MCU I think.

Fury was definitely a bright spot, good action, decent bad guy and ancillary characters. Glad I saw it, and now can shift the focus to Endgame.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Saw it with the wife and my son (his second viewing).

Must say I was not excited at all based on the previews and the casting of Brie. As usual though when my expectations are low something slightly better than expected is appreciated.

I actually liked her a lot for the role - her spunkiness and attitude were pretty good and did not rub me the wrong way at all.

The backstory was alright in concept, but the middle third was dull beyond compare. Really really dull. I liked the intro enough and liked right when she got to earth but then it dragged horribly. If not for SLJ and the cat that would have been unbearable.

The good:
But from the time she got to the lab to the end was pretty good. I liked the twist with Talos and Yon-Rogg.

But the worst thing in the entire movie is when she tries to run - it's really not just bad it's comically bad. I got out of the movie and my wife (who I told nothing, and who reads nothing, wouldn't care what reviews said, was indifferent about any casting and would have no reason to have a preconceived bias about any of it) when I said yeah she was pretty good except for one thing and my wife unprovoked said "her running"...and after I said yeah... ...."it was terrible, like really really bad". Her words.

So anyway...

first 1/3: B+
middle 1/3: C-
last 1/3: A-

overall: B+

I'd put it about 9th in MCU on first pass - I have them in like 3 tiers (great, good, meh)

Guardians
Winter Soldier
Ragnarok
Infinity War
Avengers
Civil War
Iron Man
-----------------------------
Spiderman HC
Captain Marvel
Black Panther
Dr. Strange
Guardians 2
Capt. America
Avengers: Ultron
----------------------------
Thor
Ant Man
Ant Man & Wasp
Iron Man 2
Dark World
Iron Man 3
Incredible Hulk

dave94
AG
Noblemen06 said:

I honestly can't understand this whole non-charisma thing that some are getting out of this.

The story begins with her as a trained soldier having visions of her past in dreams. And she's very cold and unemotional with her mentor and her team, and even the concept of the higher collective thing.

But once she lands on Earth, as she's getting accustomed, she was all kinds of charming, funny, cute, b*tchy, just everything.

The fact that people are now trying to say that Brie Larson can't act is ridiculous. Everyone that I've talked to who saw the movie came out just in love with her. And for good reason, she had to be the heart of the story, and she delivered.
Urban Ag
AG
So....

Sounds like this movie was good, not great, but a good time.

Brie didn't blow the doors off it but wasn't bad and had her moments.

The supporting cast carried it, at time, if not often.

Hmmmmm.sounds like an MCU movie.
Farmer1906
AG
Saw it tonight. Overall it was fine. Lower tier of the MCU. (Ahead of Hulk, Thor 2, Thor, & Iron Man 3; just below Captain America, Iron Man 2, Ant Man, Dr Strange, & Black Panther.)

For a girl power movie the best parts were the men. Fury was great. More human in this than all previous MCU films. I don't even know who played the lead Skrull, but he was great too.

I haven't read a ton of Captain Marvel comics, but she came off as really immature. It just rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it was just how she was written. Something just didn't t work for me.

I also didn't get the "too emotional" but for a character that wasn't all that emotional.

She's definitely got the Superman problem. Everything was way way too easy for her once she unlocked it.

Hopefully after Endgame she stays away from the ensemble movies and just fights in the cosmic part of the MCU.
rhutton125
AG
Better than Jessica Jones'. There's a moment in S2 where she's chasing someone and it's very un-intense. Then again, I look like an idiot when I run so maybe I shouldn't talk...
Noblemen06
AG
My wife said Larson was a bore before the credits were over and I agree with her. She doesn't know a thing about these movies outside of what she sees in the theater when I drag her to yet another super hero movie - she had no awareness of her press corps comments/controversy, yada yada yada. Some folks just don't see the world the same way you do, as hard as that may be to believe.

Larson may be a fine actress but she didn't kill it as CM (IMO, of course...in case that needs clarification).
Gigem314
AG
TCTTS said:

Or how you lose an eye from a super-cat scratch.
Civen
AG
Gigem314 said:

TCTTS said:

Or how you lose an eye from a super-cat scratch.
You misspelled flerken
hurleyag
AG
Saw it this weekend and agree with the general consensus. However, it seems like I am the only one that didn't really like Goose. He seemed like he belonged in a Men in Black movie, not a Marvel movie.
wangus12
AG
Maybe, but it is straight out of the comics.

hurleyag
AG
I get that, it just seemed out of place to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.