*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,470 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
HoustonAg2106
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's pretty simple, if you're not interested in seeing the movie...don't go see the movie.

And if your response is that you aren't interested in seeing the movie, but you want to see how it ties into endgame and the end credits scene....then I hate to break it to you, but that sounds like your are interested in seeing it
Bruce Almighty
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

agdoc2001 said:

Social Media Influencer said:

Why did they ever allow fan reviews before a movie's release?
It wasn't a review - it was a poll where you could say if you were interested in seeing the movie. Those who are portraying this as users reviewing a movie they haven't seen are being disingenuous at best. Too many people said they weren't interested in seeing the movie so RT took their ball and went home.

See the archived page here:

http://archive.is/ZJMeg
Yea, this is definitely fake news. This has nothing to do with audience score and is about fans wanting or not wanting to see it. These tweets and articles and making it look like people are leaving fake reviews even though there was never an audience review score to begin with.

I used the term "reviews" and I apologize. I wasn't trying to troll. I was just posting a discussion point. I think Larsen's comments weren't super smart, but the snowflake reaction of these manchildren throwing hissy fits over them is silly

My post wasn't directed to you, but the multiple articles that Ive seen that are trying to mislead readers.
AliasMan02
AG
BigTimeAlum said:

This is definitely my least anticipated Marvel movie ever and I love these things with a passion:

1) Brie Larson, as mentioned above, has no charisma. Not a fan. In the trailers, she confirms by delivering her lines awfully flat. She also does not come across as an action hero. Not athletic in her movements at all. The action scenes that we've seen so far look bad. She's not believable in the role.

2) The character and concept don't fit in the timeline they've created. You have what they are deeming the most powerful hero come in now? Especially when she was just a beeper away this whole time? Was Fury waiting for something more serious that the invasion of Earth? It makes no sense, but maybe they'll address it in the movie.

3) Captain Marvel is not a great character period. The super overpowered Captain Marvel iterations are just dumb.

So, just to clarify, you love the Marvel movies with a passion, but immediately jump to the above conclusions about how they'll use her? Her power level and its impact on Endgame? Where's the trust in the studio?

Also, this is not my usual jam at all, but this post reads like one of these toxic dude posts you see everywhere online. "Not athletic in her movements?" What sort of manufactured criticism is that? She IS athletic. It's a weird take.
rhutton125
AG
For real. This studio made Falcon cool. They made Thor into a fan-favorite. I'm sure they'll do Captain Marvel justice, whatever her power level is.

Also, the early impressions are positive overall. I don't mean "they showed it do the crew's family and everyone gave it a standing ovation," but a reviewer I was going to read from anyway in about two weeks said it's good. That's worth something, even just a little.

And even if you hate Brie Larson for whatever reason, this movie has Nick Fury, a decent villain apparently, Skrulls, Kree, Agent Coulson, and maybe a cameo or two. To me, that's a pretty decent draw. Not to mention any Endgame teasers or nuggets (probably from the post-credits).
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AliasMan02 said:

BigTimeAlum said:

This is definitely my least anticipated Marvel movie ever and I love these things with a passion:

1) Brie Larson, as mentioned above, has no charisma. Not a fan. In the trailers, she confirms by delivering her lines awfully flat. She also does not come across as an action hero. Not athletic in her movements at all. The action scenes that we've seen so far look bad. She's not believable in the role.

2) The character and concept don't fit in the timeline they've created. You have what they are deeming the most powerful hero come in now? Especially when she was just a beeper away this whole time? Was Fury waiting for something more serious that the invasion of Earth? It makes no sense, but maybe they'll address it in the movie.

3) Captain Marvel is not a great character period. The super overpowered Captain Marvel iterations are just dumb.

So, just to clarify, you love the Marvel movies with a passion, but immediately jump to the above conclusions about how they'll use her? Her power level and its impact on Endgame? Where's the trust in the studio?

Also, this is not my usual jam at all, but this post reads like one of these toxic dude posts you see everywhere online. "Not athletic in her movements?" What sort of manufactured criticism is that? She IS athletic. It's a weird take.

Actually I agree with him ..... i'm not even a big superhero or comic fan but I see all the MCU movies mostly because my kids want to see them. I wouldn't normally bother commenting on some superhero movie (before or after release really.. i did some on BP and on WW for sure and a bit on IW probably).

1. I questioned Brie Larson from the get go.... as far as her athleticism goes it's valid to me. Gal Gadot by comparison was in the Israel military and was a combat trainer. Brie was homeschooled and raised in California doing nothing but the arts. Although you could say the same about Chris Evans I suppose but men are naturally more athletic (imho - sorry if that offends but it's true men are more athletic).

2. It is a bit of a deus ex machina to have her come in and save the world - we don't know that yet but it's a valid point knowing she is the most powerful and holding it back until now seems like a contrived reach.

3. I wouldn't know.

As to your points.... why do we have to have any trust in the studio??? I wasn't aware I owed them anything, or that they had earned any trust? I only love a handful of superhero movies and most aren't MCU so.....

I'll still see it. And as far as that goes if my expectation is low going in I'm more likely to be pleasantly surprised. I was by both WW and DP for example and I had zero expectations.

I don't know I think he had valid points - not fanboy toxicity.
MW03
AG
In other news, did yall know that GRRM's Winds of Winter has 6,099 ratings for a composite score of 4.41 and 375 reviews on goodreads???

Audience ratings are dumb
AliasMan02
AG
You're free to feel however you want about the MCU, but if you're a fan of what they have done for a decade it's inconsistent to then freak out that they are going to somehow ruin it now, at the culmination of a decade of such amazing work. Work that has been getting BETTER over time, I think most would agree.

But if you want to now suddenly fear that Marvel is gonna blow it, go right ahead.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AliasMan02 said:

You're free to feel however you want about the MCU, but if you're a fan of what they have done for a decade it's inconsistent to then freak out that they are going to somehow ruin it now, at the culmination of a decade of such amazing work. Work that has been getting BETTER over time, I think most would agree.

But if you want to now suddenly fear that Marvel is gonna blow it, go right ahead.

I didn't say that. Why would I fear anything? There is nothing to blow imho...it's just a movie. Watch it and like it or don't. It's irrelevant really. I just get why the casting of Brie Larson would give people pause - not the politics but why her. She's never felt particularly compelling to me as an actress. nothing she has ever done has moved me in any way. And I don't see her as an action star.

As for the whole IW and Endgame stuff as it relates to CM. I mean it's no big deal but we all knew it would be some cheap get out of jail free card - it's what the comic/superhero stories do and part of why I don't take any of them seriously there are no real consequences.

Hopefully it's a fun ride and some great action - that's all I really expect or hope for from these.

Liquid Wrench
How dare you doubt the studio that brought us Thor: Darkworlds, or Iron Man 2 or 3, or Age of Ultron! How DARE you??!!?!?!?! This is toxic masculinity at its worst! Not as bad as telling a coworker that she looked pretty today, but pretty darn close.
BigTimeAlum
AG
AliasMan02 said:

BigTimeAlum said:

Yeah, I think you need to re-read your post and reevaluate which one of us comes across as a "toxic online poster". Whatever the hell that means.

I thought marvel completely missed the boat on making Thanos more of a center piece of Thor 3 and GoTG 2 to help flush out his character more before Infinitiy War. I thought they missed an opportunity to build his mistique up as the baddest of the bad.

Then they delivered a classic and completely surprised me by making him the center piece of Infinity War. It was a Thanos movie, which was a brilliant stroke by them. I was completely wrong. I hope I am with Captain Marvel as well. But based on the previews, I'll stick to my original post.
jackie childs
i'm not sure where the captain marvel film will rank in the MCU, but her Texags thread is easily the worst so far
Flashdiaz
AG
judging by the last few posts, i'm not reading through all that garbage so excuse if it's been answered...

any word yet on the soundtrack and if it's 90's era music based? not looking for specific song titles but rather how it's used.
jackie childs
Flashdiaz said:

judging by the last few posts, i'm not reading through all that garbage so excuse if it's been answered...

any word yet on the soundtrack and if it's 90's era music based? not looking for specific song titles but rather how it's used.
haven't seen anything official, but i can't imagine them not using 90's era music.

i did see what must be a leaked clip of the Vulture referencing some 90's music:

GiveEmHellBill
AG
jackie childs said:

i'm not sure where the captain marvel film will rank in the MCU, but her Texags thread is easily the worst so far
Absolutely.

When the movie finally comes out, I'm all in favor of just nuking this thread completely and starting a new thread for reactions/discussions.

This thread makes me sad.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Reminds me of any discussion about Avatar (here or especially on IMDB)... most of which was after the release in that case but there was plenty of blasting before release. It'l be the same with the Avatar (4) sequels.

I say that knowing I contributed here.

Urban Ag
AG
If this thread truly makes you sad, the remedy is to re-enter the world of grown ass men (aka adults) and take some time to reflect upon the fact that this is nothing more than a silly debate about super hero movies.

When posters start taking the stance of "you must believe in the studio, you must believe in the Russo Brothers" it's a good indication that you're overly invested.

Just my opinion of course.
tysker
AG
jackie childs said:

Just wait, I bet we can do worse.
PatAg
AG
Urban Ag said:

If this thread truly makes you sad, the remedy is to re-enter the world of grown ass men (aka adults) and take some time to reflect upon the fact that this is nothing more than a silly debate about super hero movies.

When posters start taking the stance of "you must believe in the studio, you must believe in the Russo Brothers" it's a good indication that you're overly invested.

The sadness he was referring to was what you and several others have been posting for about a week now.
BQ08
AG
PatAg said:

Urban Ag said:

The sadness he was referring to was what you and several others have been posting for about a week now.

And y'all make fun of forum 16 for being full of sensitive babies...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

It was a Thanos movie
Indeed. IW even ended with the message, "Thanos will return"
Broba Fett
C'mon now. They tee'd off with Ironman who was never super popular in the comics and you saw how the movies went. They even made Thor, Dr Strange, and even Ant-Man and GotG very popular with these movies. Do you really think they are going to trip on their dicks at the finish line with the last movie before the end of Infinity War?
AgMarauder04
AG
tysker said:

jackie childs said:

Just wait, I bet we can do worse.

If you want to feel better about this thread, go visit g the politics forum
wangus12
AG
Broba Fett said:

C'mon now. They tee'd off with Ironman who was never super popular in the comics and you saw how the movies went. They even made Thor, Dr Strange, and even Ant-Man and GotG very popular with these movies. Do you really think they are going to trip on their dicks at the finish line with the last movie before the end of Infinity War?
I think Marvel would be just fine, but could you imagine the backlash of 10 years of great setup leading into them completely ****ing up the final 2 movies.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG

[Motion denied. Start another thread. -Staff]
TCTTS
AG
Reviews have officially dropped and I have to say, it's a strange feeling seeing so many outright "meh" reviews for a Marvel movie. Granted, it's at 88% on RT right now, so not bad at all overall, but the fanboy blogger/critic community on Twitter, who usually praises these movies no matter what, is offering one hell of a shoulder shrug, bending over backwards to find good things to say about it. I'll be seeing it this weekend of course, but as others have stated in this thread, it feels like more of an obligation than anything else. Not really looking forward to it all. But with such low expectations, maybe I'll end up being pleasantly surprised...
double aught
AG
"Meh" is all I've ever really gotten from the trailers. Larson just seems dull. The thing I'm most interested in is the 90s soundtrack. Not enough to get me to the theater. Maybe I'll check it out when it streams. So hopefully it's not crucial to Endgame.
wangus12
AG
wangus12 said:

Broba Fett said:

I think Marvel would be just fine, but could you imagine the backlash of 10 years of great setup leading into them completely ****ing up the final 2 movies.
So basically its happening
AliasMan02
AG
Can't wait to see her go all Super Saiyan. I haven't read reviews, but I don't see how the cosmic level badassery doesn't have more people fired up. It's something very new for Marvel except for maybe Thor in Ragnarok and IW. Add in her buddy cop thing with Fury and Ronan as the villain and I'm psyched.
Phat32
AG
Wait am I supposed to like or boycott this movie? Need to know before any reviews or actual viewings take place thanks.
TMoney2007
AG
yukmonkey said:

Wait am I supposed to like or boycott this movie? Need to know before any reviews or actual viewings take place thanks.
A condescending "she did her best" is likely what's called for.
TCTTS
AG
Thread...

tysker
AG
Wait a movie with middling climaxes, flat or one-note characters whose inspiration is only understood after its all over and there's lots a quippy banter that funny but not HAHA funny? Was Amy Sherman-Palladino a co-writer?
toucan82
yukmonkey said:

Boycott opening weekend

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.