*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,504 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

But the worst thing in the entire movie is when she tries to run - it's really not just bad it's comically bad. I got out of the movie and my wife (who I told nothing, and who reads nothing, wouldn't care what reviews said, was indifferent about any casting and would have no reason to have a preconceived bias about any of it) when I said yeah she was pretty good except for one thing and my wife unprovoked said "her running"...and after I said yeah... ...."it was terrible, like really really bad". Her words.
We can't all be Tom Cruise....

Gigem314
AG
Civen said:

Gigem314 said:

TCTTS said:

Apparently his tweets can't be shared, but this is what he said...

The wildest thing about CAPTAIN MARVEL is that it doesn't explain to general audiences why a lightspeed engine would be of value in this world where we see spaceships jump across the galaxy.

Or how you lose an eye from a super-cat scratch.
You misspelled flerken
mother-flerken
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Here is some good stuff on the cat.

Link full of spoilers
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
This movie had the best soundtrack of any MCU movie other than, obviously, the GOTG movies.
fig96
AG
You beat me to making pretty much this exact same post
bthotugigem05
AG
ScarJo is a terrible runner too. Although I imagine those leather outfits make it much harder to run like a normal person.
fig96
AG
Spoiler link about the thing that showed up that seemed to not quite fit in the previous MCU continuity.
Liquid Wrench
bthotugigem05 said:

ScarJo is a terrible runner too.
She ain't no Flo-Jo.
Gigem314
AG
Saw it last night, and thought it was an enjoyable film. It's not in the top tier, but solid. Similar to how I felt about Black Panther. It had a bit of a Ragnarok and Guardians feel to it at times.

I do think there's a 'Superman' persona to her powers, which I'm hoping they dial back for Endgame.

But overall, I think it's a solid MCU film...and not the drop-off that some thought it was going to be.

Though, like Black Panther, I do think this film will be over-analyzed for being a 'first' in super movie film history....good and bad. I tend to fall somewhere in the middle, and enjoy it for what it is without hyping it or bashing it as something terrible.

Soundtrack. A++ Loved the Nirvana reference. And 'I'm Just A Girl' was perfect for her big fight scene. Obviously not as great as 'Immigrant Song' in Ragnarok, but done in the same spirit. So much good 90's music mixed in, and yes the nostalgia points were definitely a factor for me. Cutting to the Avengers score at the end of the first post-credit scene was awesome, and really put an exclamation point on the whole thing.
hurleyag
AG
One other small bit of continuity question. in Ironman 2 Coulson indicated they don't have the S.H.I.E.L.D acronym until the very end, but they are using S.H.I.E.L.D. in this.
jackie childs
i definitely liked and enjoyed it. it's a fun movie with some good performances. its not a top tier MCU film and the more i think about it, it never stood a chance to be because it had to be so many things.

it had to be an origin story for carol (which is tough enough to pull off), had to teach us all that we needed to know about the kree and the skrulls, had to give us some background on Fury, Coulson and SHIELD, and also had to provide some context to how we got to the 2008 MCU.

that's just a lot to pack into one film, but i think they did a pretty good job and the '90's nostalgia factor certainly helped
emando2000
AG
I liked it but didn't love it. I thought it was good, not great.

Annette Bening - was bad. For her to be a supreme being, she looked like a weak/fragile individual. Yes I get that she's old but can they make her look a bit more fit? I was cringing in her fight scene. Her delivery was also distracting.

Music - I liked the 90's songs but they weren't integrated into the movie well like they did in GOTG. Nirvana and a fight scene didn't work for me.

Brie - She was ok. She seemed to have the same look on her face the entire movie. I didn't get the whole girl power feel that many were drumming up before it's release. I'm usually not affected by it but it was distracting in Black Panther. Her running - that's a big pet peeve of mine. Why do they have to look so freaking un-athletic? It's terrible! Her fight scenes needed work too. It's like someone doing the choreography was nodding their head like... yeah, that's good enough.

The young girl wasn't good. Her words of wisdom were a bit much for a kid to have but that's on the writers. On the other hand for a movie that's gonna make ridiculous money, can they not find a kid that can deliver 10 lines?

I did like the movie but then again I like most super hero movies. Younger Fury was cool to see! I didn't know the back story so I enjoyed him having a larger role. This was middle of the road for me but still enjoyed it!
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Why do they have to look so freaking un-athletic?
Well we are talking about people who tend to be artsy kids that do acting/theater in grade school. Not sports
PatAg
AG
Movie was good to great, falls into the 2nd tier of Marvel films for me. It's funny to go back and read certain "reviews" in this thread.
Urban Ag
AG
So I have read the spoilers about Fury's eye. And with the marathons going on cable this weekend, I caught a little of Winter Soldier and Fury commented to Cap that "the last time I fully trusted someone I lost an eye". For those of you that have seen Capt Marvel, is that relevant? Or just a line a movie from several years ago that probably doesn't mean anything now?

hurleyag
AG
Well Goose is what ultimately takes his eye, but he does get fooled by a Skrull early in the movie that causes him to crash his car and get a minor eye injury.
PatAg
AG
Urban Ag said:

So I have read the spoilers about Fury's eye. And with the marathons going on cable this weekend, I caught a little of Winter Soldier and Fury commented to Cap that "the last time I fully trusted someone I lost an eye". For those of you that have seen Capt Marvel, is that relevant? Or just a line a movie from several years ago that probably doesn't mean anything now?

It makes sense if you see Captain Marvel.
jackie childs
just curious, how long do we wait after release before no more spoiler tags are needed?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
It's usually after open weekend. IMO, as of today, I say we don't have to use them anymore. That said, there was a spoiler thread but for some reason no one used it...
Gigem314
AG
PatAg said:

Urban Ag said:

It makes sense if you see Captain Marvel.
They tie it in, but if you ask me I thought what happened didn't do his comments from Winter Soldier justice.
Urban Ag
AG
I've been using spoiler tags even on the GOT thread over stuff that was published 20 years ago and at least 2-8 years old on tv because I don't want to catch butthurt wrath by posters that live to be offended by perusing topics they claim they don't want to have spoiled.
Urban Ag
AG
I read the wiki yesterday, I'm good.
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

ok...you first
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Re: spoiler tags

Usually through opening weekend....so I think we are good.
redline248
AG
I enjoyed the movie. Not sure where I'd rank it, right now. Probably somewhere in the middle.

Fury was great, the cat scratch was dumb
jackie childs
hurleyag said:

Well Goose is what ultimately takes his eye, but he does get fooled by a Skrull early in the movie that causes him to crash his car and get a minor eye injury.
when i saw that, i was afraid that was going to be a running gag throughout the movie where Fury kept "almost" losing his eye
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Quote:

But the worst thing in the entire movie is when she tries to run - it's really not just bad it's comically bad. I got out of the movie and my wife (who I told nothing, and who reads nothing, wouldn't care what reviews said, was indifferent about any casting and would have no reason to have a preconceived bias about any of it) when I said yeah she was pretty good except for one thing and my wife unprovoked said "her running"...and after I said yeah... ...."it was terrible, like really really bad". Her words.
We can't all be Tom Cruise....

37 years of Tom running. lol.

wangus12
AG
jackie childs said:

hurleyag said:

when i saw that, i was afraid that was going to be a running gag throughout the movie where Fury kept "almost" losing his eye
Kinda like in Hot Tub Time Machine where they keep waiting for the one guy to lose his arm
jackie childs
that is exactly what i was thinking of
Render
AG
My favorite part was when Captain Marvel and Black Wasp teamed-up to fight Mario and Steel Man. I won't spoil the outcome, but it's one of the greatest fights in history that you need to experience for yourself.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
dave94
AG
I have no problem with the decision to make the Supreme Intelligence personalized to whomever is communicating with it. To be honest, using the green head may have just been too out there for the mass, non-comic-book-reading audience.

I don't think using the original design makes the flick any better.

TCTTS
AG
... or.... this was a movie, not a comic book, and it made more sense within the constraints of a two-hour narrative - where there's limited room for character introductions/development - to organically tie Benning's character to an entity we only see twice, in order to not only kill two birds with one stone, but also better service the THEME, which is far more important than honoring whatever ridiculous looking blob thing is in the picture you provided.

What is like to constantly get so irritated by and accusatory toward things that are so utterly irrelevant? You never don't come across as an angry person.
Dro07
AG
I thought the same thing

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.