*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,436 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Then we would have had all of the trolls ranting about how they turned a white straight chick into a gay Mexican.
Dominican - Puerto Rican, but close enough.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

And uhhhhh..... exactly who does she think superhero movie fans are anyway????

Black Panther fans say hello......
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Exceptions prove the rule.

And FYI more than 63% of people who saw it were not black.

wangus12
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Exceptions prove the rule.

And FYI more than 63% of people who saw it were not black.

Was that a segregated theater from the 50's?
TCTTS
AG
Fenrir said:

TCTTS said:

Aggie94 said:

dromo07 said:

sorry I was on mobile

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/brie-larson-minority-journalists-inclusive-captain-marvel-press-tour-1202043142/

She doesn't want white males reviewing her movie pretty much and wants more diversity to review it and such. There is apparently more when she doubled down on it.

"That's not what she said, you ignorant wretch..." /

Larsen wanted to deliberately give underrepresented press members the opportunity to interview her about the movie. The article points out that she specifically gave a disabled journalist that opportunity, who says it had been her biggest break in her career. For her prior movies she said most interviewers were white males - she wanted to do something about that - what exactly is wrong about that? There's nothing in that article that says she doesn't want white males reviewing her move. Geez.

Wait, you mean TexAgs twisted a piece of news in order to act offended at non-existent white male persecution? That's not like this place at all.
People complaining about what she is doing in that article is stupid...but so is this.
So... you're saying it's dumb that people are complaining about white male persecution (agreed), but then also implying that white male persecution *does* exist in the article?
80s Guy
Never change, TexAgs!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

no that's the statistics on the overall BO.

I'd imagine the average Marvel movie is more like 15% black, like the population.... so 37% is significant. It also did very well worldwide.
Fenrir
TCTTS said:

Fenrir said:

TCTTS said:

Aggie94 said:

dromo07 said:

sorry I was on mobile

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/brie-larson-minority-journalists-inclusive-captain-marvel-press-tour-1202043142/

She doesn't want white males reviewing her movie pretty much and wants more diversity to review it and such. There is apparently more when she doubled down on it.

"That's not what she said, you ignorant wretch..." /

Larsen wanted to deliberately give underrepresented press members the opportunity to interview her about the movie. The article points out that she specifically gave a disabled journalist that opportunity, who says it had been her biggest break in her career. For her prior movies she said most interviewers were white males - she wanted to do something about that - what exactly is wrong about that? There's nothing in that article that says she doesn't want white males reviewing her move. Geez.

Wait, you mean TexAgs twisted a piece of news in order to act offended at non-existent white male persecution? That's not like this place at all.
People complaining about what she is doing in that article is stupid...but so is this.
So... you're saying it's dumb that people are complaining about white male persecution (agreed), but then also saying white male persecution *does* exist in the article?
Given your past arguments on similar debates I don't believe for one second you were solely referring to the article with that statement.
TCTTS
AG
So now you think *I* don't believe white male persecution exists? Ha, seriously? Of course tons of people have it out for white dudes. But it's no secret that TexAgs is also known for going out of its way to be overly offended by SJWs and the like, drumming up "hate" in certain situations where it doesn't exist.
tysker
AG
Common thread! Stay on target. Stay On TARGET!
Bruce Almighty
AG
How can anyone possibly know this? Were there hidden cameras in all the theaters with people sitting in some room counting all the black people?
Dro07
AG
as a non white person I am sorry for brining this up initially. Cant we all just get along?
?w=800
PatAg
AG
C@LAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

What the Hell is going on?
Brie has been (since last summer) and continues to use her press tours/junkets for Captain Marvel to push her activism and agenda, specially making references to wanting less white men to be involved in covering the press tour, in reviewing films, etc.

Also virtual signaling about her personal production company with Michael B Jordan being 50% inclusive etc.

Basically taking away attention from the movie and making it about her activism.

It is ruffling feathers.
let me say this loudly for those in the back

WHO GIVES A ****

if you care about what she has to say, don't. Just enjoy the movie.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Then we would have had all of the trolls ranting about how they turned a white straight chick into a gay Mexican.
Dominican - Puerto Rican, but close enough.

Even worse. They are like mexicans with bad food that don't need visas.
PatAg
AG
I will say, it will be great to live in a time where you are awarded opportunities based on merit alone.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

How can anyone possibly know this? Were there hidden cameras in all the theaters with people sitting in some room counting all the black people?

actually may be news to you but they do this at theaters just like elections.

it's called exit polling. they count people leaving, etc.

they do it at various theaters in many markets to get a cross section and extrapolate

Studios live off marketing data not just box office numbers.
AgfromHOU
AG
What the **** did I just walk into
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

So now you think *I* don't believe white male persecution exists? Ha, seriously? Of course tons of people have it out for white dudes. But it's no secret that TexAgs is also known for going out of its way to be overly offended by SJWs and the like, drumming up "hate" in certain situations where it doesn't exist.
Hell I have it out for all dudes, mainly because I want all the women
GiveEmHellBill
AG

I say we go back and nuke the last two pages of this thread from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.
Fenrir
Might as well get used to it or just skip this thread until after release. I imagine the feminist advertising for this only picks up steam between now and release which means it will just become a bigger focus of this thread.

Hopefully the movie is good and people get past the messaging to some degree like Wonder woman.
dave94
AG
I don't read any of the advertising to be anything other than it's a female superhero, going through the same origin progression that all heroes do.

Where is this ultra-feminist agenda that's getting everyone so worked up?
dave94
AG
PatAg said:

I will say, it will be great to live in a time where you are awarded opportunities based on merit alone.

Wow, that's not where I saw this going.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
titanmaster_race
AgfromHOU said:

What the **** did I just walk into

The politics board. That sewer has been dropping more and more spillage across the forums as of late.
imjustsayin
AG
........aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnndddddd....

...thread reset...

So, the Captain Marvel movie looks good, amiright?
rhutton125
AG
I'm gonna check out the 2012 Captain Marvel run and report back to you all. It's supposed to be the definitive run, I think.
Gigem314
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Definitely looks better the more teasers they release. I will say though, the 'higher further faster' voice over on that teaser is kinda cheesy.
texasaggie04
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Definitely looks better the more teasers they release. I will say though, the 'higher further faster' voice over on that teaser is kinda cheesy.

It was the 90s. Remember the Ninja turtle rap by vanilla ice? Maybe we should expect cheesy.
PatAg
AG
C@LAg said:

PatAg said:

C@LAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

What the Hell is going on?
Brie has been (since last summer) and continues to use her press tours/junkets for Captain Marvel to push her activism and agenda, specially making references to wanting less white men to be involved in covering the press tour, in reviewing films, etc.

Also virtual signaling about her personal production company with Michael B Jordan being 50% inclusive etc.

Basically taking away attention from the movie and making it about her activism.

It is ruffling feathers.
let me say this loudly for those in the back

WHO GIVES A ****

if you care about what she has to say, don't. Just enjoy the movie
How about, stop dictating what others discuss.

This is a discussion board. People can discuss whatever they want, within the context of the topic. Even if it hurts your fifis. This is related topic that has received press coverage 8 months ago, and again the last few days.

Now how about you sit down there in the front.
that's what the politics board is for. Based on the way you post, I'm sure you are familiar with it.
AgfromHOU
AG
Most of the intro solo movies for Marvel are pretty cheesy
Farmer1906
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Most of the intro solo movies for Marvel are pretty cheesy

It's true. After rewatching the MCU (few more to go but covered the intros) they certainly have some serious cheese. The first Avenger especially.
AgfromHOU
AG
Then they ramp it up big time on the deconstruction of the character and lose the cheese. First Avenger was followed by Winter Soldier. Cheesiest Marvel movie this side of Guardians and Ant-Man, followed up by the best and probably most serious (Infinity War is a lot more quippy than Winter Soldier).
PatAg
AG
They just dropped a new teaser in the all star saturday night show. Showing more of her personality/talking, smart move. She was seeming super robotic in the first few trailers.
dave94
AG
PatAg said:

They just dropped a new teaser in the all star saturday night show. Showing more of her personality/talking, smart move. She was seeming super robotic in the first few trailers.
Just saw it. I'm digging it more the more personality they show.
FL_Ag1998
AG
You guys call the first Captain America movie the cheesiest, but I view that as intentional, rather than unintentional. Captain America is meant to be the "All-American" hero, who stands for ideals that are cheesy to most regular people, especially nowadays.
I think the "cheese" factor to the first Captain America movie was essential in setting up and understanding his character, and it allows us to appreciate him for who he is today, which to me is the true leader and heart of the team (versus Iron Man). I've come to appreciate that movie the more I watch it.
Iron Man gets people to follow him based on logic, Captain America gets people to follow him based on heart. And the first Captain America movie did a fantastic job of setting up that character trait.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.